The Hype TV Club

I second both.

And I assume @DarthSkywalker and @Snow Queen vote yes to it too?
Midnight Mass was great. I haven’t heard of the other one. Just looked it up and the premise looks fun although I only see it available if you buy it on Amazon Prime in the UK, so I’d likely skip that one.

Watching episode 3 right now of Arcane. This is not the show I was expecting and I'm finding it a bit slow, but I'm enjoying it well enough so far. The art is beautiful and the sisters tug at my heart strings like crazy. Why Imagine Dragons though?

Watching episode 3 right now of Arcane. This is not the show I was expecting and I'm finding it a bit slow, but I'm enjoying it well enough so far. The art is beautiful and the sisters tug at my heart strings like crazy. Why Imagine Dragons though?
Keep going! Exactly how I felt at that stage and from late episode 4 and 5 onwards is when I really got into the show having not been as keen up to that point. I only found out Hailee Steinfeld was voicing one of the sisters yesterday so we have a reunion from Hawkeye (Steinfeld good, ID not so good) :cwink: Strange that I didn’t clock it was Steinfeld given I’d only just watched Hawkeye while I recognised Shohreh Aghdashloo’s (very distinctive) voice who I’ve barely seen in anything and only a long time ago. Edit: looks like a lot of people had the same thing judging from Twitter comments on this.

Should we have official ratings for each show we watch here? And a DNF or whatever episode people made it to before giving up so we can see which shows were received best and so we have a historical record for the thread?

Midnight Mass was great. I haven’t heard of the other one. Just looked it up and the premise looks fun although I only see it available if you buy it on Amazon Prime in the UK, so I’d likely skip that one.
Looks like it's on Hulu here in the states, so I think that's Star with Disney+.

Looks like it's on Hulu here in the states, so I think that's Star with Disney+.
Oh yes! Would never have thought to look there. It's working fine and free. Is Star the place to go for Hulu stuff in general then for UK? Whenever I've heard something is on Hulu in the past I've assumed I'm not going to be able to see it.

Oh yes! Would never have thought to look there. It's working fine and free. Is Star the place to go for Hulu stuff in general then for UK? Whenever I've heard something is on Hulu in the past I've assumed I'm not going to be able to see it.
Yeah Star is the Hulu outside of US. I don't know if all the content will be on there.

Should we have official ratings for each show we watch here? And a DNF or whatever episode people made it to before giving up so we can see which shows were received best and so we have a historical record for the thread?
Sure. And a DNS which will be me with Arcane. :hehe:

I'd rate Squid Game a 7.

Sure. And a DNS which will be me with Arcane. :hehe:

I'd rate Squid Game a 7.
Haha. DNS = didn’t even bother starting right? :funny:

I also give Squid Game a 7. The novel concept is a 9 but overall it’s a 7 as I won’t be rewatching it and my interest in a second season is already falling.

Arcane starts as a 6 and finishes in 8 territory. That probably makes it overall a 7 too although I’d be more likely to watch the later episodes of this again. I prefer Arcane but Squid Game feels like something that needs to be watched.

Okay so it's a tie for anyone who wants to break it. We have Midnight Mass and What We Do In the Shadows.

Arcane is the only one I didn’t vote for and it seems like I’m the only one who watched and liked it (at least the second half) :D

I’d vote Midnight Mass but don’t know if my vote counts if I’ve already seen it. Also started What We Do In the Shadows and it’s hilarious. I guess people will get around to both.

I finished Arcane last night and enjoyed it overall. Not as much as I was hoping to based on the reactions it got online, but definitely liked it. My eyes kinda glazed over during the worldbuilding and when we switched over to some of the more boring members of the cast though. That said, I thought the main character stuff tended to work pretty well and I loved the climax - in large part because it narrowed the focus down to most of the parts I liked and none of the parts I didn't.

I finished Arcane last night and enjoyed it overall. Not as much as I was hoping to based on the reactions it got online, but definitely liked it. My eyes kinda glazed over during the worldbuilding and when we switched over to some of the more boring members of the cast though. That said, I thought the main character stuff tended to work pretty well and I loved the climax - in large part because it narrowed the focus down to most of the parts I liked and none of the parts I didn't.
This is what happens when there is an implied gay relationship, and all you do is hang out in gay places on the interwebs. :o

I liked it, but I do think it should have been condensed down to the meat and potatoes of the story. Vi, Jinx and Caitlyn are all quality. The rest was hit and miss, and even at 40 mins, I felt like every episode was too long. I'm usually the first to say let television breathe, but this show could have been better if they focused it more and slimmed the episodes down to 30ish mins.

January.png
Any Hype members are welcome to join us in our viewing of these shows. We will be using this thread to discuss our shows.

The only rules are

• Last week of the month we will nominate and vote for a new show.
  • Only shows with unanimous vote will be selected.
  • Only the first season is required for the monthly viewing. If a show has multiple seasons.
  • Each show should have a minimum of 8 episodes per season, if not, we will watch S1&2.
  • ALL spoilers must be tagged as such, as none of us have seen these shows before aka don't be a jerk.
  • Any posts not following the spoiler rule will be subject to deletion.

In this thread we will be talking about our viewing experiences with the show. You all are welcome to join, so we'll talk about what we like and/or dislike about the show we're watching.

So let's watch some What We Do in the Shadows!

What is What We Do in the Shadows?
A look into the daily lives of four vampires who've been together for hundreds of years; after a visit from their dark lord and leader, they're reminded of their purpose in coming to New York City over a century ago.

Hope you guys enjoy What we do in the shadows. I've never been one for comedies but this one I did enjoy. Maybe because of the documentary style? :)

Hope you guys enjoy What we do in the shadows. I've never been one for comedies but this one I did enjoy. Maybe because of the documentary style? :)
I'm enjoying it so far. I'm also not one for watching whole seasons of comedies just for laughs, unless they also have ongoing stories and some character growth like The Office (US) and Friends. The vampire element will keep me involved for a while at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"