The Hype TV Club

This is the same nonsense Canadians use to justify Canadian bacon. :o
No, we don't call it Canadian bacon, you Americans do. We call it peameal bacon here.

No, we don't call it Canadian bacon, you Americans do. We call it peameal bacon here.
Just like a Canadian. Blaming Americans for your own fault. Our former president tried to incite violence against your PM using antivaxxer truckers. :o

Just like a Canadian. Blaming Americans for your own fault. Our former president tried to incite violence against your PM using antivaxxer truckers. :o
Actually looking it up, we don't even have the weird artificial version of back bacon you guys call "Canadian bacon" here. What the heck is up with those weird fake pork circles!

This is peameal or back bacon here:
Flickr_bokchoi-snowpea_4266923676--Roast_peameal_bacon.jpg

Peameal_bacon_in_a_pan.JPG

I thought Canadian bacon was round, lol. For me it's the only difference.

Busy all day so no chance to watch much of anything. :(

I thought Canadian bacon was round, lol. For me it's the only difference.
So bacon is any cured and/or smoked pork product. Traditionally, bacon can come from the pork belly (ie. streaky bacon or what we all just know of as bacon) or from the loin where pork chops come from (back bacon). Back bacon is the more common type of bacon in the UK and Ireland, so I guess that it was more popular in Canada as a result, which is why you guys call back bacon Canadian bacon.

Pastry x 3. Dirt.....as an ingredient...? Eh, no. Sheep's milk? Different but okay. :) Cigar flavored ice cream? Hard no. Ewww......

Last edited:
Skipped watching today to watch Avatar way of water. It was good but over 3 hours long. Big chunk out of my day. Lol.

Pastry x 4.Will Goldfarb. Of the four pastry episodes, the cake lady was the best by far. These other guys are making food that doesn't look appetizing or appealing at all. :( Maybe it tastes good, but it doesn't have the same draw as hers did.

Pastry x 4.Will Goldfarb. Of the four pastry episodes, the cake lady was the best by far. These other guys are making food that doesn't look appetizing or appealing at all. :( Maybe it tastes good, but it doesn't have the same draw as hers did.
And you all doubted me for only putting Tossi from the Pastry season on my must watch list! See @flickchick85, DK knows his Chef's Table inside out!

0cd0f3f9-6756-42e8-85b3-13afbdb4bc38_text.gif

I didn't even know it was possible to go wrong with pastries. SMH.
The problem is a lot of the great desserts and pastry is already covered in the normal episodes because great pastry is usually part of a great episode overall. Like Vladimir Muhkin's Grandmother's honey cake is one of the greatest sweet moments in the series. Or you have Nancy Silverton, who is one of the greatest American pastry chefs and bakers, is featured in her own episode in Volume 3.

On our third episode, "Nancy Sliverton" and I find it really cool how they are able to use the same formula, to make what feels like very different episodes. The show is slightly pretentious, in a good way.

Didn't need to see Mario Batali's face though. Damn you things being made before we all know other things! :argh:

On our third episode, "Nancy Sliverton" and I find it really cool how they are able to use the same formula, to make what feels like very different episodes. The show is slightly pretentious, in a good way.

Didn't need to see Mario Batali's face though. Damn you things being made before we all know other things! :argh:
Was number 2 the Gelato episode? Yeah, the Silverton episode is really interesting. Batali is so infuriating to me because I adored that man before we found out he was a sleazy rapist. He was such a great, articulate, and charismatic teacher and ambassador for Italian food.

You guys really are starting at the end and moving backwards. I can't wait until you watch 2x1, I feel like Grant will be really fascinating to you. Also, I think you will love the classical Frenchiness of France episodes 2 and 4. I love how they are about family and tradition. Also Couillon and his daughter who wants to be a chef are so sweet together.

5x1 Christina Martinez -- "I remember the slaughtering of the lambs. I loved learning how to cut their heads off. Such wonderful memories!"

Who the heck is this lady? Hannibal Lecktor's daughter? :p

5x1 Christina Martinez -- "I remember the slaughtering of the lambs. I loved learning how to cut their heads off. Such wonderful memories!"

Who the heck is this lady? Hannibal Lecktor's daughter? :p
I told you to skip season 5. :o

Then I guess I'll move on to vol 6 tomorrow. It is getting time to move on anyhow, I have 4 more Poker Face episodes to finish. :D

Watched 2x1, and while it was indeed powerful and inspiring, I must say, the way Grant randomly and so casually threw out $500 as the hypothetical price tag on the tomato/toast thing disturbed me to my very soul. :deadpan:

Watched 2x1, and while it was indeed powerful and inspiring, I must say, the way Grant randomly and so casually threw out $500 as the hypothetical price tag on the tomato/toast thing disturbed me to my very soul. :deadpan:
He was talking about the entire tasting menu meal. These crazy high end restaurants cost about $500 a person for a meal of 10-20 courses after tax and tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"