1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

The Hype TV Club

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Lily Adler, Oct 26, 2021.

1. squeekness The mighty squeek!

If the show holds up I plan to finish it. Might take me a year, lol....

2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

For me, the mythology stuff really only holds up for about the first 3 seasons, then it just gets so convoluted I stop caring. The MoTW stuff holds up throughout for me - you’ll see when I post my “essentials” for the later seasons they all become MotW’s lol - though the ones in S8-9 are less memorable. I did love a few from the revival seasons though.

Sithborg and squeekness like this.
  3. squeekness The mighty squeek!

I don't even remember if I even watched the revival seasons, its been so long.

flickchick85 likes this.
  4. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Alrighty, onto my S2 essentials. Worth noting, S2 was probably the strongest mythology season so it's probably the only season where the mythology eps outnumber the MotW's on my favorites list. Once again, MotW's that can be enjoyed as one-offs in bold.

2x01 "Little Green Men" - Mythology Ep
    2x05 "Duane Barry" - Mythology Ep - Part 1 of the great Scully abduction trilogy of eps.
    2x06 "Ascension" - Mythology Ep - Part 2 of the trilogy.
    2x08 "One Breath" - Mythology Ep - the finale of this little arc. Yes, there's a s***ty Scully-less episode in between the 2nd part and this, but it's easy to skip. It lifts right out. Great Mulder/Scully drama right here.
    2x14 "Die Hand Die Verletzt" - MotW Ep - Gotta love a good occult town plot!
    2x16 - "Colony" - Mythology Ep - First of the two-parter that introduced the Alien Bounty Hunter!
    2x17 - "End Game" - Mythology Ep - Conclusion to the two-parter. Good stuff.
    2x20 - "Humbug" - MotW Ep - FIRST DARIN MORGAN EP LET'S GOOO! Aka, the one with the circus folk. So yeah, we're light on great MotW eps this season, but this funny and brilliant ep more than makes up for that.
    2x25 - "Anasazi" - Mythology Ep - big finale.

Awesome list DK, and literally every single one of these will be on my faves lists too, lol.

Iceman, Lily Adler and Sithborg like this.
  5. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Midnight club, Dahmer tapes, Alaska news, Hellraiser all dropped yesterday. My X-Files viewing is going to take a hit.... :(

Iceman, Lily Adler and flickchick85 like this.
  6. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Got derailed by the Watcher. I was up late watching 6 of the 7 episodes. You guys should check it out. :)

Iceman likes this.
  7. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Was considering it 'til I saw who the creators were. :funny:

Onto my S3 X-Files essentials! Again, standalones in bold.

3x01 "The Blessing Way" - Mythology Ep - I honestly kinda hate Chris Carter's writing in this episode, but this two-parter wraps up the cliffhanger from the S2 finale, so feels kinda necessary if you're following the mytharc.
    3x02 "Paper Clip" - Mythology Ep - Part 2, wraps up this little arc, and a generally better episode than the previous one.
    3x04 "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" - MotW Ep - 2nd Darin Morgan episode, and just as brilliant as the first!
    3x09 "Nisei" - Mythology Ep - Part 1 of what we'll call the "alien autoposy arc" two-parter.
    3x10 "731" - Mythology Ep - Part 2 of that arc.
    3x12 "War of the Carprophages" - MotW Ep - AKA, the cockroach episode. If you know, you know. Darin Morgan so rarely wrote episodes, we were BLESSED to have him writing 3 in S3.
    3x17 "Pusher" - MotW Ep - Vince Gilligan in da house!!! Introduces a great new villain who make a return - kind of a precursor to Jessica Jones' Purple Man.
    3x20 "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" - MotW Ep - the last Darin Morgan work of TRUE CINEMA in S3.
    3x22 "Quagmire" - MotW Ep - the Loch Ness Monster episode. RIP Queequeg.
    3x24 "Talitha Cumi" - Mythology Ep - another finale, another big mytharc ep.

Iceman likes this.
  8. squeekness The mighty squeek!

I'm not even halfway thru season one of X-Files. :( I get sidetracked too easily, lol.

flickchick85 and Iceman like this.
  9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Onto S4! At this point I was kinda over the mythology eps, but I'm gonna keep including them thru S5 since the X-Files movie happened after that, and that's kind of a good stopping point when it comes to the mythlogy side of this show, imo. Standalones in bold:

4x01 "Herrenvolk" - Mythology Ep
    4x02 "Home" - MotW Ep - This episode was famously banned in many places for being too disturbing with some taboo themes at the time (it's the incestuous redneck murder family ep). By today's standards it's quite tame, but still quite unsettling in moments.
    4x07 "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" - Mythology Ep - CSM was such an enigmatic figure for so long it was great to FINALLY get his story. I'd watch this even if you're not watching all the mythology stuff, tbh.
    4x10 "Paper Hearts" - MotW Ep - Tom Noonan is chilling in this episode, playing a serial killer who claims Mulder's sister (whom Mulder always believed was an alien abductee) was one of his victims.
    4x12 " Leonard Betts" - MotW Ep - This is almost a mythology ep too, as this case is what makes Scully realize she may have cancer, which is a big part of the mytharc, but it's mostly standalone.
    4x14 "Memento Mori" - Mythology Ep - the race against time to save Scully.
    4x17 "Tempus Fugit" - Mythology Ep - the first of a two-parter that involves a commercial airliner crash which raises a bunch of new questions for the mytharc.
    4x18 "Max" - Mythology Ep - second part.
    4x19 "Small Potatoes" - MotW Ep - This is where Vince Gilligan started dipping his toes into the more comedic side like Darin Morgan always did, and the results are glorious. Might be my favorite ep of the season, tbh.
    4x24 "Gethsemane" - Mythology Ep - finale.

10. squeekness The mighty squeek!

You guys are better watchers than me, lol. I can't keep up with you. :p

11. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I'm not watching all the episodes, just my faves, lol.

squeekness likes this.
  12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

My S5 essentials (again, this is the last season I'm keeping the mythology eps in here even though I'm over them at this point, because the movie came right after this season and that's as good a stopping point for the mytharc as you'll get, imo):

5x01 "Redux" - Mythology Ep - the arc from last season's finale gets a two-parter to wrap up.
    5x02 "Redux II" - Mythology Ep - the conclusion.
    5x03 "Unusual Suspects" - ??? - Idk if this counts as a mythology or MotW ep, as it's basically the origin of the Lone Gunmen and Mulder's relationship, but as it's written by Vince Gilligan, it's pretty great.
    5x04 "Detour" - MotW Ep - I love a good "invisible monster in the woods" yarn.
    5x05 "The Post-Modern Prometheus" - MotW Ep - aka, the black-and-white Frankenstein one. Chris Carter isn't nearly as good at these comedic eps as Morgan or Gilligan, but this is still a fun time.
    5x12 "Bad Blood" - MotW Ep - Speaking of Vince Gilligan, he’s here to swoop in and show Carter how it's done with this cinematic perfection. 10/10, no notes!
    5x13 "Patient X" - Mythology Ep - the mytharc starts ramping up at this 2-parter because the movie's coming.
    5x14 "The Red and the Black" - Mythology Ep - Part 2
    5x18 "The Pine Bluff Variant" - MotW Ep - This ep with Mulder going undercover with a terrorist group wielding a deadly biotoxin is notable for being a little less sci-fi than the usual.
    5x19 "Folie a Deux" - MotW Ep - Underrated little Gilligan gem about an office worker who sees his boss as an insect monster turning him and all his co-workers into drones, and naturally takes everyone hostage to prove it.
    5x20 "The End" - Mythology Ep - the final setup for the big ol' Hollywood movie. And where I'll pretty much stop including the mytharc eps (these lists are about to get shorter lol!).

13. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Two season essential lists in one night! Because X-Files month is almost over lol. Goodbye mytharc, helloooo all-MotW's-all-the-time!

6x02 - "Drive" - A young man named Vince Gilligan once met a not-so-young-man named Bryan Cranston. One day, they would make magic together. On this day, however, they made a damn fine X-Files episode.
    6x03 - "Triangle" - Chris Carter does the ol' Hitchcock Rope thing and makes an episode comprised of long one-ers. But ya know, with time travel, the Bermuda Triangle, and Nazis.
    6x04 - "Dreamland" - Body swap!
    6x05 - "Dreamland II" - Body swap, part 2!
    6x14 - "Monday" - this nightmare take on Groundhog Day is awesome.
    6x15 - "Arcadia" - Mulder & Scully face their greatest horror yet: the suburbs!
    6x21 - "Field Trip" - Hallucinogenic mushrooms, the sci-fi edition!

Iceman likes this.
  14. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Drive terrifies me to this day.

Iceman, DKDetective and flickchick85 like this.
  15. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Maybe I'll get to that episode sometime next year at the rate I'm going, lol. :p

16. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

The kid who they got to play Young Mulder in Little Green Men bears a surprisingly good resemblance to Duchovny.

flickchick85 and squeekness like this.
  17. flickchick85 Admin of Might

We have no new show yet, so I'm pushing on with my X-Files essentials, lol. Season 7:

7x03 "Hungry" - a fast food worker's got a taste for human brains. Could be a setup for a Smallville episode (in fact I think this dude WAS a "meteor freak of the week" on there), but as it's X-Files, it's a million times better.
    7x06 "The Goldberg Variation" - the "luckiest man on Earth" episode. Good stuff.
    7x08 "The Amazing Maleeni" - Mulder & Scully investigate a magician who seems to have somehow died before his last trick and it's great.
    7x12 "X-Cops" - X-Files goes Cops. What more do ya want?
    7x15 "En Ami" - this might be more of a mythology ep, but it's mostly its own thing and is just Scully & The Cigarette Smoking Man going on a roadtrip together, which is...interesting, to say the least.
    7x21 "Je Souhaite" - the genie episode. Gilligan brilliance!

DKDetective and squeekness like this.
  18. squeekness The mighty squeek!

I'll get there eventually. :p

19. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

None of you want to nominate one! :argh:

Sandman
    The Patient
    Monster
    Cabinet of Curiosities
    Yellowjaclets

squeekness likes this.
  20. squeekness The mighty squeek!

I've watched two of Cabinet of Curiosities and so far so good! I'll second that as I'm watching it already. :)

Lily Adler likes this.
  21. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

We're on Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. I forgot how amazing this episode is. Fat little Nazi stormtrooper!

squeekness and flickchick85 like this.
  22. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Finished Cabinets and it was good overall. The last two episodes were the weakest but I'd be happy to watch more if they get made. As far as catching up on older stuff, I've been derailed once again by a great police procedural called The Calling on Peacock. :) 8 episodes of wonderful.

Lily Adler likes this.
  23. ComicChick I Work Too Much

[​IMG]

free to a good home, in case yall do a Showtime show

flickchick85 likes this.
  24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Snagged it, thanks CC!!

It's probably too late to do a November show, but I now vote for Yellowjackets for our next show lol.

ComicChick likes this.
  25. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Yellowjackets. I wanted to watch it through again anyhow. As for the rest of the month off, it'll let me catch up. I want to finish season 4 of Yellowstone so I can start season 5 which began last weekend. :)

flickchick85 likes this.