The "I Was Wrong About..." Thread

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by henzINNIT, Apr 5, 2021.

1. henzINNIT Registered

I thought this might be a fun game, and a change of pace from the usual internet discourse of being right all the time. Post any examples you can think of for film views you once had but have since reconsidered. I'll start but I can't think of any satisfyingly embarrassing ones right now:

- I hated No Country For Old Men. Thought it was horrendously boring. Saw it again years later and it's pretty wonderful.

- The Rise Of Skywalker totally had me on first viewing. It lasted about 12 hours.

- I liked the Watchmen film a lot. It's probably been about 10 years but I'm not going to revisit it because I'm sure I would hate it now. Knowing more about the comic I fear it'll be like an unfunny Starship Troopers.

Batmannerism likes this.
  2. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

TENET seemed like an overwrought mess that I mostly dismissed on first watch.
    Yet my affinity for the director(writer) had me give it a few more views, including with subtitles (due to the poor sound), and I found I liked it more each time.

Looking into the Sator/Rotas Square had me loving it even more, to being genius.
    In any direction ....
    ... who plants the (idea), is Arepo(Protagonist without identity), comes to comprehend, that he himself operates the wheel... who plants the (idea)...infinitum.

#2 Mondragon, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    henzINNIT likes this.
  3. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I came out of TDKR ( I won tickets to a special premiere , it came out down here 2 days before anywhere else) and was interviewed by an internet newspaper as I came out of the cinema.

I said that it was better than TDK, I was caught up in the excitement and swept away with the swell of emotions from the final montage.

About an hour later my critical thinking brain started working again, and I was like literally " Wait a MOMENT....."

MilkmanDan and henzINNIT like this.
  4. Mandon Knight We did it......

I personally believe (and its to my experience) that gut instinct rarely fails me either way, hate or love, that I'll go full circle on something with a re-watch.

5. henzINNIT Registered

I watched TDKR four times in the cinema trying my hardest to love it. I never could.

Batmannerism likes this.
  6. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

I loved Man of Steel when I saw it in the theaters. I don’t hate it now, but repeat viewings definitely made me like it a lot less. Especially given how awful BvS and JL are and specifically how both films treated Superman. I doubt I’ll ever watch it again.

I really hated the movie The Master when I first saw it. I found Phoenix to be over the top and unrealistic. But after seeing the Going Clear documentary on Scientology, it gave me a new appreciation for the movie.

7. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

The older I get this is more or less how I am as well.

That's not to say that I have not reexamined many a movie or other entertainment product as well. Especially those that, frankly, at the time in my life when I saw them (childhood to young adult let's say) that I was not larded with the life experiences that would sometimes make the material in those movies resonate in any meaningful way.

I don't find myself caught up in "the hype" once I'm in the theater/at home watching. I went in to Superman Returns hoping that it would be... something. I came out and instantly realized it was a dud... A beautiful looking dud but a dud.

I truthfully can't undertand much the rubberbanding of opinion that I see online, especially with the last decade or so's "controversial" films in the genre set.

Adoring a film and praising it to high heaven as a the second coming one month and then the next proclaiming it over hyped or disappointing trash makes me question a viewer's taste and opinion in th first place. Yes, this isn't binary to begin with and people change minds but the phenomenon seems to be both clock work and hyperspeeded up these days. And... I'm sorry but a lot of changed opinions don't feel like they are the result of somber critical analysis or being truly won over by competing arguments... A lot of the time it just feels like herd mentality.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  8. Batmannerism Super-unknown

A while back I saw Dark Phoenix, and hated it.
    I gave it a terrible review ( as did pretty much everyone else) and cried that the Xmen franchise was truly dead.....

I just gave it a second look and have softened my stance a bit.

Honestly, it's not a particularly good film but actually isn't terrible - in fact, it's not as bad as Apocalypse. As a kid I loved the Dark Phoenix storyline, and as far as adaptation go this fails, but overall it's still mildly entertaining. True Sophie Turner is very bland as are most of the XMen, the X suits look like bad cosplay, there's a ton of stuff that makes no sense ( like the X phone to the President and X men space rescue missions) but I thought MacAvoy actually made Xavier a bit more complicated and has a bit of an arc.
    One thing is for sure the film got a lot better after Jennifer Lawrence dies. I feel a bit sorry for Nick Hoult, who's a much better actor than he's allowed to be here( and a really nice guy, I met him back in 2019). So maybe it's better after a second look. Cheers

9. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Okay......you KNOW what I'm thinking. :funny:

10. Mandon Knight We did it......

Help me out :cwink:.....

11. scarlet-witch mighty.

Oh I like this idea.

I was wrong about I Know Who Killed Me reviving Lindsay Lohan's career.

I know this is weird, but I went hard defending her on the IMDb forums when this was in production because I thought it sounded super dark and interesting and I just *knew* everyone was going to stop calling her a trainwreck after this....then it came out. :funny:

henzINNIT likes this.
  12. Herofan Registered

I didn't really like The Lion King when I first saw it around 6, I think mostly because I just found young Simba too hyper and therefore annoying, then watching it at 16 I liked it a lot especially Simba at both ages.

Though I always liked The Empire Strikes Back I thought it was not nearly as good as the first, then grew to like it more and more, I still think the first is even better but both are excellent.

I hated The Graduate at 16 and loved it at 24.

Batmannerism likes this.
  13. Batmannerism Super-unknown

The Empire Strikes Back freaked me out as a kid. It took me a long time to come to grips with the idea of the good guys losing.

As I grew older I began to appreciate more and more how clever it is. I still don't rewatch it that often - except the duel between Luke and Vader-
    it's not my favorite in the series, but I appreciate that it has an edge over the others in the cleverness of its writing and the skill of its execution, it is a better made film overall.

I believe the director had been Lucas' teacher at film school.

14. Herofan Registered

Also I liked Tom and Huck when I saw it at 6 or 7 and then when I, after reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer at 13, rewatched it at 16 I completely hated it, I still do.

I get that it's a Disney film but Tom barely does anything bad, even mischievous, at all.

15. DarkKnight Registered

It seems I may have talked about this before. I cant recall as this type of convo comes up on the forums as well as in person with my film/superhero fan friends.

Batman Forever... I was wrong.
    At one point and time I grouped this movie with Batman & Robin in the bad category. I enjoyed Batman Forever as a kid/Preteen whatever I was at the time. I watched it again later in life and disliked it and grouped it with the mess of Batman & robin.

I was revisiting the Batman films with my son. Started with Batman 1989 and watched Returns, Forever, B&R, Begins, TDK & TDKR, MOS, BvS, ZSJL.
    Upon my more recent revisit of Forever I actually really enjoyed it. While it still has plenty of things I'm not a fan of, I enjoyed Val Kilmer's Batman (very underrated IMO). It was the better of the two Shumacher films by a very high margin. Also, I've never been a big fan of Robin. That spans from the decades old green underwear and short sleeve type boy wonder days. Always found it odd and just not a fan. Some of the more recent versions of Robin have been much better. Given in Forever we had a what? a 19 to 20 something year old boy wonder was a bit odd but enjoyed O'donnell in the role and liked the costume a lot more. Tommy Lee Jones Two Face, while his portrayal of the character imo was wrong. There was something about it I still enjoyed. Jim Carey as The Riddler, again, not the character portrayal I would expect from The Riddler but was enjoyable. I feel like Forever Was trying to find the middle ground. It was still dark in some areas following the Burton films, but tried to be campy and more light hearted in other areas. B&R ended up being pretty much a modern (at the time) parody of the Adam West show. I know some people that are a fan of the Adam West Batman will likely not like that comment but its how I perceived it.

So, while Forever is not in my top 5 Batman film list, I still enjoy it and appreciate it very much. However my opinion on B&R still stands. I like to pretend that film does not exist. The only thing I liked in that film was the "NightWing" Robin Costume.