The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

The title of this movie always reminds me of "The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Hufnagel"... :yay:

Unfortunately, the title of this movie reminds me of "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium". :csad:

The cynical part of me is sure that this film will be completed and released just to further capitalize on Heath Ledger, since Dark Knight is smashing box-office records right and left.

heard Depp, Law, and Farrell gave their paychecks for the movie to Matilda

love those guys, especially after that

wow, i never knew that, i now have alot more respect for these actors. i am really looking forward to this movie, i love Gilliams work.

Unfortunately, the title of this movie reminds me of "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium". :csad:

The cynical part of me is sure that this film will be completed and released just to further capitalize on Heath Ledger, since Dark Knight is smashing box-office records right and left.

If your referring to if this movie gets wide-distribution counter to what most Gilliam films get, then you're probably right. If you're refering to Gilliam's want to finish the film then sir, you are sadly mistaken. I say this based on the fact that Gilliam has killed his career more times than I can count simply for the art and not for the money so I really see it in his character to do something for money.

So...no pics...ok, got it...

:csad:

Polux

I really like Gilliam and wish the best for him and this movie. Ledger's death aside, his movies are always 'tough sells'. Let's hope the distributors treat the situation with respect.

Heath Ledger's final movie a tough sell
'Parnassus' a conundrum for marketers

By Steven Zeitchik
Aug 15, 2008, 06:06 PM ET

"In this market, unless I have a reason to think a movie like this is going to be a slam dunk I'm not going to take a flyer on it, even with Heath Ledger," one distribution executive said. One specialty exec added few execs at his company had been tracking it.

Those familiar with the project said that when it comes to commercial expectations, "Parnassus" is more of a mini-major play than a studio picture. The film, which has sold in many foreign territories, is being handled by Lionsgate, which has been mentioned as a candidate to pick up the film domestically.

Financed by Grosvenor Park and produced by Samuel Hadida's Davis Films, "Parnassus" was said to be close to having footage shown and even a deal made several weeks ago, just as the buzz for "Dark Knight" was reaching fever pitch. But as of late last week, many buyers had yet to see footage.

That hadn't stopped them from weighing in to say that the prestige value of distributing a Gilliam-Ledger film might be worthwhile -- but only for a price.

Given that the film's budget is somewhat more than $20 million, that could take a while. Recently, another challenging $20 million release, Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York," didn't spur buyers until the sellers finally decided on a more modest offer from Sony Pictures Classics.

That could put the late actor in a position of having one of the biggest- grossing movies in Hollywood history out at the same time he's in a movie hunting for an domestic distribution deal.

Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law stepped in to the Ledger role after the actor died in January, with the script tweaked to reflect a shapeshifting element that allowed for other actors to play his role. The trio, who have said that they're donating their fees to Ledger's family, took over, as shooting moved from the U.K. to Vancouver.

The prospect of getting involved with three marketable stars makes for a relative bargain for a buyer, who might pay low-seven figures for domestic rights but get an eight-figure level of promotable talent.

But even that troika might not be enough.

Said one longtime distribution guru: "For all the elements in this film, it is a Terry Gilliam picture, and as much as you want a movie of his to be good, you have to be careful."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i999ebd327d1b0f72d36e80e1a0b58eda

so is this going to be coming out in theaters?

Out of all the guys who took Heath's place who do you think will do the best?

ill probably go with johnny depp....hes one hell of an actor and can adapt to any role

when IS this coming out? It would be a shame if Sony Classics gets it; they suck at marketing. I would rather go with Fox Searchlight, Focus, etc.

at least point i dont really care who gets it, as long as someone gets it and it comes out soon

^ looks really neat, can't wait to see more footage :)

Wow, that actually looks really good. :up:

The title of this movie always reminds me of "The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Hufnagel"... :yay:

Zeppelinescapades.jpg

Wow, this film looks really good, cant wait for it to come out, it has made me want to go watch some Glliam now.

i hope this is gilliam's comback film. this has alot of potential. looks fun and bizarre and best of all original. this has gotten me interested.

Cool. Hope that we'll have the release date soon.

I've always said the character of The Joker seemed like a seperate enitiy on screen due to make-up and the amazing preformance from Ledger. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is going to very strange because this time there will be no make-up to hide the late actors face. The image above shows that. When Heath is off screen and you see Depp, Law or Farell filling in the shoes, it will be sad knowing that Ledger should have been there

at least this movie didn't fall into oblivion and Gilliam is finishing it.. and honoring Heath in doing so .. I can't wait for it myself ..

Any word for when this might come out or is that still being worked on?

First release dates:

Netherlands - 24 September 2009
Czech Republic - 1 October 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"