The Inevitable Gaming Comparison Thread : Bats v Spidey

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by Mandon Knight, Sep 9, 2018.

?

In it's overall quality & delivery, which game is better ?

1. Batman - Arkham Series

66.7%
  2. Spider-Man - PS4 eclusive

33.3%
  1. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Always a slacker....

Hi all, after it's release last Friday (the 7th), Spider-Man is finally released on the PS4 and many of us are deep into it (or not, maybe 8-9% into it :funny: - self deprecating humour) and within the thread for Spidey, inevitably, (and in a wider gaming community conversation), comparisons to the Arkham 'model' have been made and made, fairly, in my opinion and to be fair, Spider-Man PS4 has evolved because those games before it and Insomniac have developed above & beyond to bring us to date, the definitive Spider-Man game, as Arkham was for Batman.

BUT.....

When to the crunch hits, which game (graphic updates aside - a by-product of the age, so you can't really include), gives you, us, fans, the most ? It's representation of the character, it's world building, it's easter-eggs, it's playability, it's navigation system, it's 'whole' of being the game that best represents Batman or Spider-Man.

So :ybat: v :spidey:….. Gaming Glory...…

1st vote for Spider-Man - this game is truly defining for me, it is everything that you could and would want too imagine being Spider-Man is and the 'down time' missions as Peter & MJ are gorgeously realised and it's the 'small' things that lift this game to greatness, the small every-day elements and the rendering of the world. Beautiful, emotional and quite simply....it is all you would want a Spider-Man game to be.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. Mandon Knight

Seriously, nobody wants to make a comment on this, after all the discussion in both separate Arkham & Spidey threads, here's a vote in which you can do just that...

C'mon guys x

3. B

B [insert witty comment]

I'm probably going to pick Spider-Man up this weekend if I get some time, it's got a tall order to surpass the Arkham series for me.

4. Mandon Knight

B, many would feel that I'm sure, but be prepared and ready to be wholeheartedly impressed by SM PS4.

5. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

I didn't play the game, after watching about 1 hour of gameplay I've decided not to buy it. It just didn't feel thrilling enough. Environments look boring and don't invite exploration, gameplay feels like it lacks variety. With Batman we get awesome mix of predator and fighting modes, puzzle-solving, detective work. Spider-Man just doesn't do anything that Batman doesn't do better.

6. Mandon Knight

Just Simply :wow: (in a please change your mind, you won't regret it, kind of way).

7. OutOfBoose

Well, the story is praised and I can watch the story on youtube later. I like this Peter Parker iteration. Seems perfect. It's just gameplay-wise it didn't make me feel like I need to experience it. Gotham and Arkham Asylum just felt a lot more exciting.

8. Mandon Knight

Well, the story is praised and I can watch the story on youtube later. I like this Peter Parker iteration. Seems perfect.

He is absolutely perfectly formed and presented and Peter to a tee.

It's just gameplay-wise it didn't make me feel like I need to experience it. Gotham and Arkham Asylum just felt a lot more exciting.

It's breath-taking, the action is non-stop and presented so well, for me, it's well beyond Arkham and for me, the comparisons are not relative, SM needs more planning and fore-thought in order to execute a delivery of your own instinct AND on-the-spot, get out of the **** moments, for me, it's way beyond AA and that series. Hope you change your mind, you won't regret it.

9. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

The Arkham series for me. I am liking Marl's Spider-Man but all it is is a clone of Arkham City. The developer's said that all cut scene and gameplay would flow seamlessly where you wouldn't be able to tell when the cut scene ends and the game begin and that wasn't true. It was built up to be some ground breaking game and that isn't true. All it the game is really is the first good game Marvel has had in a while. Once again I think the game and the story is good but if you're going to start comparing the two of who did it better much like Thanos all it is is a it's just a copy and I would prefer the original to a copy.

10. Vic Ryan

Vic Ryan Member

I think that's very unfair. You really can't use 1 hour of gameplay to judge this game. Besides, i think its a whole different experience when you actually play the game rather than watch a gameplay footage online. As someone who's completed the game (then again, its my opinion), this game is about on par if not even better than the entire arkham series for me. I don't know what it is but i think it has to do with the much larger and beautiful open world, smooth combat (better than arkham imo), great character development (only characters i cared about in the entire arkham series were Joker and Batman himself) and so on. Not to mention that awesome photo mode and the heartwrenching finale to the story. This game is easily the best representation of Spider-Man's story in any medium for me. Admittedly, i was frustrated by a few things (MJ and Miles' stealth missions; they got old for me pretty fast), but compared to Arkham, playing Spider-Man is just more fun and it looks more.. is it polished?

11. Vic Ryan

Vic Ryan Member

Out of curiosity, how is it a "copy"? Its one thing to "copy" as in "rip-off" and it is another thing to take inspiration from something. You make it sound like it was a complete rip-off. Besides a few choice things, i don't see too much similarities between Spider-Man and the Arkham games.

12. OutOfBoose

I don't think it's fair comparison either. Fair comparison would be completing the game. But still after 1 hour of gameplay I didn't see anything worthy of a purchase. I had Arkham battle system in spades after 4 games. So it's not the reason. Level design didn't impress me. It's arena after arena. Stealth missions were lame. New York looks alright by day, but at night it really looks like PS4's resources weren't enough to pull off a truly beautiful night city. Besides, New York just lacks intricate level design of Gotham, where you really want to explore every corner in searth of riddles or references to Batman lore. Side activities looked lame too. So the only thing it has on Arkham series is narrative. Plus battle system is comparable.

13. Vic Ryan

Vic Ryan Member

I can counter most of your arguments but it all comes down to perception and opinion. You may think New York at night looks lame in the game but i think its miles better than Gotham at night in the Arkham games. And Spider-Man is quite addictive once you start to play. The traversal is amazing and honestly i'd rather chase pigeons and look for backpacks in Marvel's Spider-Man than bother myself with those Riddler missions in Arkham Knight (i found them tedious to be honest but that's me). So let's just agree to disagree

14. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

It is a copy just like Thanos. Which isn't a bad thing but I am not going to act like Marvel is doing something new with this game. For the most part everything is just like Origins or Arkham City all you are doing is changing the brand. Once again I am not bashing the game because I think the story is good so far but look wise and how it plays and everything else it is nothing more than an Arkham clone.

15. Vic Ryan

Vic Ryan Member

I don't think you understood my previous post. Its one thing to blatantly copy off something, and a totally different thing to take inspiration from it. Everyone knows Insomniac took inspiration from Rocksteady for this Spider-Man game. However, they didn't just copy and paste the Arkham games. If you've played the game, you'll notice not just elements of Arkham, but of Spider-Man 2, Web Of Shadows, TASM 2, Spider-Man 3 etc. Insomniac basically took inspiration from all this games to create a fresh new Spider-Man experience. If you walk into Spider-Man, expecting it to feel too familiar just cause you played Arkham, then you'll be in for a shock. I can say (having played both games) that Arkham's combat is relatively easier in general compared to Spider-Man. In Arkham, you hop from one thug to another having disposed of the previous one. But in Spider-Man, it isn't like that. In Spider-Man, you have to be on your toes at all time during combat. Spider-Man is a whole different game from Arkham. The critics praising the game and calling it one of the best superhero games of all time aren't just talking for the sake of it. Its like me calling the Arkham games "clones" of Assassins' Creed. And maybe i'm wrong, but i don't remember playing any superhero game with a photo mode as boss as Marvel's Spider-Man

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  16. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.

17. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

Spider-Man's combat has a more enjoyable feel due to the added challenge. Even with the Spider sense indicator it still requires focus and skill. Im at the part after Sinister Six got loose, and some of the battles against demons with all their enemy types at the same time almost feel straight up unfair, but with all the tools at player's disposal I think it's just a matter of getting good. Which is how it should be. Spamming strategies aren't very safe, just have to be creative in the face of overwhelming odds

It's a tough comparison but in general, Arkham City specifically is better than Spiderman, and Spiderman is better than Asylum and Knight.

18. Mandon Knight

Sorry guys, to say Spidey game at 'day', only looks 'ok' is under-valuing it to a level one cannot measure, it is one of the finest, rendered 'universes' ever graced upon a games console, the intricacy in detail and depth to every part of the city is gorgeous beyond belief and the night time, whilst not being as solid, is a still a moon-light infused delight.

19. Smurphftw

Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

Too early to say. The Spider-Man game is indeed amazing(haha), but Arkham City is probably still one of my top 5 games of all time. Once Insomniac completes a trilogy I will be back to pass final judgment :)

20. OtherwiseKnownAs

OtherwiseKnownAs Master of the Mystic Arts

I feel like when it comes to the love of the source material, and the little Easter eggs the Arkham series just can’t be beat.

21. Mandon Knight

The sheer emotional 'sub-text' or inter-weaved story, for me, elevates Spider-Man above Arkham, the working of playing as Peter and his interactions with the other characters lifts the game above Arkham games, in my experience of playing both.

22. lefthookvillain

lefthookvillain Well-Known Member

As much as I like both games, the combat in Spider-man is fun. You can be as creative as you want or as basic. Arkham, everything was automatic. Your attacks tracked towards the enemy, it was more about chaining different combination presses in rhythm of attacks, gadgets, counters, and dodges. That was fun too but in Spider-man, everything has to be done manually, and can be about spacing, setting up... it's really hard to explain how creative you can get.

It's always gonna look like Arkham from just watching. You got an open world with a superhero, he fights multiple ppl at a time, stealth aspects, but when you play, it's a different game. The Stealth for example, you can take everyone down under a minute, if distracting guards, web-striking from the right angles, and setting up gadgets are done right.

23. Tcmjuk87

Tcmjuk87 Active Member

Arkham series for me.

As much as I enjoyed playing Spider-Man, I never felt connected/invested in its universe.

Ironic how a game with such a large and vibrant atmosphere is practically empty of history/background.

For all the fun it was scouting landmarks to take photos of, they mean next to nothing to the casual player with limited comic book knowledge, as they don't give you any real insight or backstory to their relevance to Spider-Man (I wouldn't know what Rand Enterprises was if I hadn't watched Iron Fist), with Arkham they actually spent enough of their development giving history to all the Arkham landmarks and their relevance to villains, expanding on family feuds/rival gangs etc, so you feel invested in these characters and feel like you know Gothams history.

Rocksteady show a lot of faith in Batman's source material that they very rarely changed anything, and spent a lot of time giving each character their backstory/ mentioning the first comic appearance for those of us interested in reading up on them, and practically wrote many of them a mini story within the Arkhamverse, and even the stuff they did bad (Bane), at least it got retconned in the prequel game by WB Montreal, as they felt Bane needed justice and explanation to how he got there.

I get the impression Insomniac wanted to make Spider-Man their own thing, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, if you're going to do that, make sure what you're doing is interesting and works. I find a lot of the directions they've gone with certain characters (MJ, Harry Osbourn, Ock) questionable, and it reminded me of ASM 2 where a lot of character arcs were rushed and irrational, just for the sake of forcing the plot to head a specific direction.

Arkham Asylum & City had a pretty decent way of incorporating all their villains (namely because most of them were already established), some of them were weaker than others (again, Bane, Hugo Strange). Of course the boss battles were still pretty weak, but they felt exactly like the characters from the comics.

With Spider-Man set 8 years into his career, it's worth noting that the villains with the most impact on Peter/SM's life emotionally don't exist (yet), so you can't help but question how much he's matured/developed as a superhero, given the only real villains he's had are the gimmick supervillains (Rhino, Shocker, Vulture, Electro), all of which aren't exactly much of a threat to him. Of course, Kingpin is the counter argument as the game suggests he's been SM's biggest obstacle, but the only problem with that is that we have no real context outside of SM spending 8 years trying to bring him down. No real examples of things he's done, what he's done to SM to push him to his limit, he's just Mr Big, and he's gone within the first 10 mins, and hardly has much presence outside of boring henchmen.

Playing SM is very satisfying when battling goons, and definitely a step up from what Arkham had achieved, and I did enjoy everything being told from Peter's perspective, but I'm really don't think finding a backpack with one of Peter's old library cards, is as rewarding a token as finding a riddler trophy or Arkham inmate token.

I'm not trying to hate on the SM game, I did enjoy it, but I'd hope that the next game will really expand more on the universe!

I'm hopeful.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018 at 3:14 PM
  24. spiderman2

spiderman2 Well-Known Member

Love both but I have to go with batman. Spiderman is my favorite superhero and batman is a close 2nd so its great to have a great spiderman game to go with the great batman ones finally. Right now I have to go with batman because I think batman has better combat over all. Spiderman is similar when it comes to combat but I think batman is a little bit better. Spiderman seems to have less like moves to do than batman just combat fells more limited compared to batman and I think both have amazing music but again like batman soundtrack more. Also the combat challenges in the batman akrham games are so fun add like never ending replay value have spent so much time in those. Also I love love the riddle stuff in the Arkham games even though some people say they are repetitive I never found them to be. With that said spiderman is still a heck of a game and I felt a lot more emotion with its story than I did with any of the Arkham games and I think insominiac will improve a lot in the sequel like they did with ratchet and clank back during ps2 days and they have a great foundation to bulid off of. Also didn't think about it un till watching a video with the games director and thought it was a good point in that insominiac had never really made a game with maylay combat before more like guys with there other games and with it being like there first real big open world game. I think because of those 2 things they are going to learn a lot from this game to make the next one even better. I may like this game more than aslyum though and now going back to aslyum that game does fell limited after playing the other ones in the franchise.