Homecoming The Inevitable Video Game Thread

I'd actually like to see a fresh studio tackle the brand

I'd actually like to see a fresh studio tackle the brand
Like Rocksteady was pretty fresh when they tackled Batman?
I'll be fine with that, if they can pour the same love and effort, and are provided a great budget.

I second the idea of Sucker Punch making a Spidey game but on the otherside, I think it would be a waste of their talent to tackle an IP they dont own. Maybe if they were big enough to have more than one project going, but they arent

There is no way Sucker Punch or any AAA studio would do a movie tie in game.

Given how Marvel doesn't care about gaming, I doubt there will be a movie tie-in for the MCU Spidey film. Last MCU film that got a game tie in was Captain America First Avenger.

Yeah, that Cap game is pretty solid.

I still haven't played that. The reviews weren't too kind. Personally I really wonder if we'll see anything other than a cheap ash mobile game tie-in.

Last movie tie-in game I liked was Wolverine: Origins. Fun as a game and some interesting deviations from the film. The intro and epilogue cgi scenes alone were pretty cool. It was fun to play and see a Wolverine where blood was flying.

That Cap game is very simple in gameplay, a very easy game inspired by Arkham Asylum with less refined combat animation, and does a solid job at being fun.
Worth a rental once.

The last two Spider-Man games have failed in the most crucial department... The swinging. I don't care about anything but the swinging. If I'm playing a Spider-Man game I want to be able to swing through NYC and feel like Spider-Man, the rest is secondary.

Swinging in Amazing 2 is pretty good. Annoying at start, gets better as you get used to it.

The last two Spider-Man games have failed in the most crucial department... The swinging. I don't care about anything but the swinging. If I'm playing a Spider-Man game I want to be able to swing through NYC and feel like Spider-Man, the rest is secondary.

The most crucial department is the free roam. Which includes the swinging but there's more to it.

In the first ASM game, random crimes were not random at all. They appeared in the same spots throughout the game as you progressed through the story mode. And, there were only 3 different crimes that occurred. Lame. Once you completed everything, all you could do in the city was swing from the clouds. It failed to capture the feeling of being Spider-Man.

The second ASM game, which I've yet to play, however watched plenty of YT walkthrough videos, made some improvements but also took some steps backwards. There are now more types of random crimes that appear and they actually appear randomly but...before and after each one there's a cut scene. That totally ruins the organic feel to the game. Not to mention that if you pass by too many random crimes without stopping to help, you earn a bad rep and then these robot sentinels chase after you and shoot lasers at you. It's like you can't even 'just plug the game in to go for a casual swing' like how many other free roam Spidey games would allow you to do, i.e. SM2, WoS, etc. Also, it made doing the random crimes feel something like an actual chore and not a fun part of the game. Again, lame. The swinging mechanics are improved though and require more effort on the player's part but just barely. Nothing like the rewarding swing system that was present in SM2.

Swinging in Amazing 2 is pretty good. Annoying at start, gets better as you get used to it.
It doesn't have the physics that SM2 had. That's still the gold standard in swinging mechanics, it was so ahead of its time. When you saw your web connect to a building you knew exactly which way you were going to move. When you were free falling and shot out a web you swung higher, everything just made sense. Even when you were doing an "indoor mission" the swinging remained the same.

I'd like a comic based spidey game. In time for the movie release. But i know that aint happening.

The Spider-Man swinging was great in Lego Marvel too.

It doesn't have the physics that SM2 had. That's still the gold standard in swinging mechanics, it was so ahead of its time. When you saw your web connect to a building you knew exactly which way you were going to move. When you were free falling and shot out a web you swung higher, everything just made sense. Even when you were doing an "indoor mission" the swinging remained the same.
Swinging mechanics in Treyarch's Spider-Man 2 is easily the gold standard for swinging, I'd like to see a developer improve on it.

The Spider-Man swinging was great in Lego Marvel too.
It's great for the LEGO game, not great for a Spidey game.

I'd like a comic based spidey game. In time for the movie release. But i know that aint happening.

Well, it's quite possible actually. Marvel might try to capitalize on Spidey's potentially renewed success in movies and they hold the rights to comic based Spiderman games now, so no more cheap Activision titles. It's really only a matter of time.

Well sure we may not have a tie in game possibly. But I wouldn't say marvel wouldn't have a solo spidey game out around new film release. As spidey sells merch wise. So probably a game like SD or EOT could happen.

It still perplexes me that, after almost 11 years, no other developer has managed to create a swing mechanic like Spider-Man 2: The Movie Game. With all the advances in video game technology and such, you feel like this feat. would be something easily nailed down. Especially if it was nearly perfected 11 years ago.

Well, it's quite possible actually. Marvel might try to capitalize on Spidey's potentially renewed success in movies and they hold the rights to comic based Spiderman games now, so no more cheap Activision titles. It's really only a matter of time.

I'm really hoping for this. It's stupid if no one is working on an AAA Spider-Man game. But Disney don't seem to care about games.

And they can license game out to a maker look at star wars for example.

I'm over the movie tie in games... Give us a quality Spider-Man game on its own.

I will be 100% surprised if we see a real Marvel game before 2020.

Not a Lego game or the Telltale game. Telltale is cool and all but they don't develop games like the Batman Arkham games which is how comic book games should be adapted so to speak. Telltale doesn't do open world.

Marvel basically has given up on console gaming.

I wonder if there was something in development in terms of Spidey games. Like companies with these kind of properties have got to shovel out something every now and then to keep it, and game development takes a couple years.

Maybe Beenox had some early alpha TASM3 game. I can't imagine it'd be very specific to any sort of movie yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were messing about with a new engine or something

I think Spidey is an exception. He'll get a game.

I don't want it to be a movie tie-in either though. A comic based game developed by Avalanche and released in 2017 would be perfect. The storyline would be stopping the Sinister Six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"