Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

I don't know how many times it's going to have to be stated, but this is the final word directly from Marvel and director Shane Black:
Originally posted by Shane Black
“Ultimately we do give you the Mandarin, the real guy, but it’s Guy Pearce in the end with the big dragon tattooed on his chest,” Black says. “He says, ‘You don’t understand, I’ve been this guy since I was born. I’ve been embodying him in this [actor] that I’ve had proxying for me, but it’s really me.’”

Originally posted by Kevin Feige
“A lot of this movie is about characters going back into the shadows for various reasons and characters who have been in the shadows coming out and into the light for the first time,” Feige says. “It is Tony who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don’t mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we’ll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand.”

The second quote establishes that the company's intention is for Aldrich Killian/The Mandarin to have been pulling strings behind-the-scenes for the entirety of the IM trilogy. IOW, he's the person Raza references in IM1 (although we don't know whether or not Raza reported directly to him or to his proxy frontman, Trevor Slattery)

The second quote establishes that the company's intention is for Aldrich Killian/The Mandarin to have been pulling strings behind-the-scenes for the entirety of the IM trilogy. IOW, he's the person Raza references in IM1 (although we don't know whether or not Raza reported directly to him or to his proxy frontman, Trevor Slattery)

And that was my biggest problem with the movie: they didn't highlight the fact that Mandarin was behind everything in the first two. It would've amped up the animosity big time.

i'm starting to buy more n more into this rumour that harley = a young star lord

that's be a pretty great connection that only becomes apparent once gotg is released.

plus the kid just looks like a young chris pratt lol

And that was my biggest problem with the movie: they didn't highlight the fact that Mandarin was behind everything in the first two. It would've amped up the animosity big time.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's as big of a deal as you do (granted, I haven't seen the movie yet myself, so take that for what it's worth), but to each their own.

i agree with another poster who said that killian appropriated the 10 rings name etc once they were all eliminated in iron man 1 by stane.

it just doesn't make sense if killian was behind everything (iron man 1 and even less, iron man 2)

i think if he was behind the whole trilogy the movie would have spelled it out; it's too important to leave ambiguous imo.

Thanks for the quote. :up:

That's what was bothering me about that twist, they treat it as a throwaway plot point. Which is why I was wondering if he was really the guy at all.

i agree with another poster who said that killian appropriated the 10 rings name etc once they were all eliminated in iron man 1 by stane.

it just doesn't make sense if killian was behind everything (iron man 1 and even less, iron man 2)

i think if he was behind the whole trilogy the movie would have spelled it out; it's too important to leave ambiguous imo.

Even if it wasn't explicitely spelled out, Marvel's official stance - as personified by the quote I gave from Feige, as well as by other quotes and statements from the same article from which the two quotes I referenced come (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/04/iron-man-3-mandarin-spoiler/) - is that Killian was directly responsible - albeit in a behind-the-scenes fashion - for everything that happened to Tony in both IM1 and IM2. I don't know why so many people continue to persist in ignoring that.

Even if it wasn't explicitely spelled out, Marvel's official stance - as personified by the quote I gave from Feige, as well as by other quotes and statements from the same article from which the two quotes I referenced come (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/04/iron-man-3-mandarin-spoiler/) - is that Killian was directly responsible - albeit in a behind-the-scenes fashion - for everything that happened to Tony in both IM1 and IM2. I don't know why so many people continue to persist in ignoring that.

the two quotes u posted a few posts up make perfect sense if you confine their meaning to iron man 3.

it is far from "spelled out" - nowhere do feige or black refer to iron man 1 or 2.

if feige comes out and says killian was behind the events of iron man 1-3 then it will be spelled out.

right now, it's ambiguous and more economical to confine him to iron man 3.

just because they wanted mandarin for iron man 1 does not mean anything. they didn't end up going through with that idea.

maybe someone should ask feige in an interview whether killian was behind iron man 1 and 2. that's the only way we will know.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's as big of a deal as you do (granted, I haven't seen the movie yet myself, so take that for what it's worth), but to each their own.

Without it, Mandarin's motivation is super-weak, IMO. If you add in his involvement in IM1 and 2, it becomes super-super.

I don't know how many times it's going to have to be stated, but this is the final word directly from Marvel and director Shane Black:

I really don't like it when creators start explaining stuff like that outside the movie. For me, it's a sign of bad film making. If that was their intention, they should've made it perfectly clear in the movies. As it stands, there's a lot of confusing information in these that allows it to be interpreted in different ways.

^ As I understand it, the fact that Killian is the Mandarin IS established in the movie, so the only thing that is established through the quotes I quoted but not made clear in the film(s) is that Killian was pulling strings since the events of IM1 behind-the-scenes, using the Ten Rings organization and his 'fake Mandarin', Trevor Slattery, to conceal his involvement in things.

Right, and since the movie didn't acknowledge that, it might as well never be spoken of by the director outside of the movie. If it was important (and it is), it should've been IN the movie.

Keige just said thru his taking over of the Iron Man twitter account that Extremis will be used in the future of the MCU.. so there's that to look forward to.. possibly in Cap2?

I really don't like it when creators start explaining stuff like that outside the movie. For me, it's a sign of bad film making. If that was their intention, they should've made it perfectly clear in the movies. As it stands, there's a lot of confusing information in these that allows it to be interpreted in different ways.

Absolutely. :up: :up:

Keige just said thru his taking over of the Iron Man twitter account that Extremis will be used in the future of the MCU.. so there's that to look forward to.. possibly in Cap2?

I'd definitely expect to see Tony sporting Extremis armor in Avengers 2, without a doubt. But I think there's so much that IM3 potentially sets up for the CATWS story that the Russos would be fools to not take the bait. Didn't Cheadle already say that he's negotiating a cameo in CATWS as Iron Patriot? And hopefully the President/VP storyline from IM3 carries over to CATWS, and we get to see more detail on Ellis' presidency under fire. (Sadler's a great actor, anyway --- would be cool to see him again.)

I'm all for Sadler returning in CATWS as well as Cheadle. Sadler can play the President for as long as he wants, as far as I'm concerned. Damn the term limits!

Is it confirmed that Sadler is in CATWS? That would be cool.

I'm all for Sadler returning in CATWS as well as Cheadle. Sadler can play the President for as long as he wants, as far as I'm concerned. Damn the term limits!

:p i wouldnt worry about that. I'm pretty sure IM, IM2, Thor, most of TIH, and the modern-era scene of CA:TFA are all set after 2008. He's got the better part of 4 years left :)

He said "I am the mandarin, always was".

Seemed pretty straightforward to me

I have my fingers crossed for a Heartbreaker/Gemini hybrid for Avengers 2. Something that looks like it could conceivably stun Thanos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"