Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

The twist works much better if you accept the fact that Aldrich Killian is The Mandarin, not just it's creator. Him yelling it aloud in the third act was not a revelation, but a character moment. He accepts he's always been The Mandarin much like Tony Stark accepts he is Iron Man. The line 'I am The Mandarin' is basically an echo of Tony Stark's last line in both this film and the first one: I am Iron Man.

Also, Killian kinda reminded me of Syndrome from The Incredibles, as he was also a fan of the hero until said hero disappointed him completely.

[BLACKOUT]that character moment was pretty awesome with his dragon tattoos glowing with extremis[/BLACKOUT]

The twist works much better if you accept the fact that Aldrich Killian is The Mandarin, not just it's creator. Him yelling it aloud in the third act was not a revelation, but a character moment. He accepts he's always been The Mandarin much like Tony Stark accepts he is Iron Man. The line 'I am The Mandarin' is basically an echo of Tony Stark's last line in both this film and the first one: I am Iron Man.

Precisely. [BLACKOUT]Killian was the Mandarin the entire time. Kingsley's character was just an extension of this. In essence, Kingsley's Mandarin was just a puppet, and Killian was working the strings.[/BLACKOUT]

Also, Killian kinda reminded me of Syndrome from The Incredibles, as he was also a fan of the hero until said hero disappointed him completely.

Very true! [BLACKOUT] Tony inadvertently created The Mandarin (Aldrich Killian), who created the facade of the Mandarin (Trevor Slattery) and the Ten Rings, who inadvertently created Iron Man, who in turn destroyed them all![/BLACKOUT]

Do you guys expect IM3 will cause another record for "Most users ever online" on SHH, like The Avengers caused one year ago?

Meh, I don't think so, but it's probable.

It probably will since a lot of us over here will be discussing it come tomorrow night due to the early screenings. Plus we want to actively debate the rest of the planet's opinions that have already seen it.

It probably will since a lot of us over here will be discussing it come tomorrow night due to the early screenings. Plus we want to actively debate the rest of the planet's opinions that have already seen it.

No, what happened with Avengers is a ton of guests showed up a day or so before it was released. At the time, there was a lot of publicity about how they shot a post-credits sequence at the last second (after it had already been released overseas).

I remember checking the thread that had the news about the post-credits scene and that is where 95% of the visitors were. But that gave you an idea of the massive hype in the general public, that so many of them were doing Google searches trying to find out information about the scene and then found their way to the SHH thread about it.

I'm not seeing it in the theater until Friday as I'm scheduled elsewhere that not many people are allowed to guard. Tho I don't know how busy it'll make it HERE. Avengers is a whole other animal in movies lol

Precisely. [BLACKOUT]Killian was the Mandarin the entire time. Kingsley's character was just an extension of this. In essence, Kingsley's Mandarin was just a puppet, and Killian was working the strings.[/BLACKOUT]

Very true! [BLACKOUT] Tony inadvertently created The Mandarin (Aldrich Killian), who created the facade of the Mandarin (Trevor Slattery) and the Ten Rings, who inadvertently created Iron Man, who in turn destroyed them all![/BLACKOUT]

Exactly, [BLACKOUT]Tony even says that he created Mandarin at the opening flashback narration, the only thing this Mandarin is missing is ten rings shooting out lasers, other than that this was a solid Mandarin[/BLACKOUT]

Exactly, [BLACKOUT]Tony even says that he created Mandarin at the opening flashback narration, the only thing this Mandarin is missing is ten rings shooting out lasers, other than that this was a solid Mandarin[/BLACKOUT]

Even a Mandarin [BLACKOUT]without powers would have been adequate, but giving him abilities that allow him to physically battle Iron Man[/BLACKOUT] actually brings him even closer to his comic-book counterpart.

I think using [BLACKOUT]Extremis to grant him these powers[/BLACKOUT] was a great idea. [BLACKOUT]Rings shooting fire, laser beams, and all manner of bizarre effect [/BLACKOUT]would have been difficult and lengthy to explain. [BLACKOUT]In my opinion, just having the "Mandarin facade" (as I like to call it) wear ten rings was a nod enough to the comic rings.[/BLACKOUT]

Even a Mandarin [BLACKOUT]without powers would have been adequate, but giving him abilities that allow him to physically battle Iron Man[/BLACKOUT] actually brings him even closer to his comic-book counterpart.[/BLACKOUT]

Some people probably still wouldn't haven't liked this, but

In the event that Ben Kingsley's Mandarin had been the real deal and the rings were purely symbolic, I think it could've work if the final battle between him and Stark had Stark not wearing the suit. Basically reversing the order of the boots-and-glove sequence and Extremis soldier finale.

Even a Mandarin [BLACKOUT]without powers would have been adequate, but giving him abilities that allow him to physically battle Iron Man[/BLACKOUT] actually brings him even closer to his comic-book counterpart.

I think using [BLACKOUT]Extremis to grant him these powers[/BLACKOUT] was a great idea. [BLACKOUT]Rings shooting fire, laser beams, and all manner of bizarre effect [/BLACKOUT]would have been difficult and lengthy to explain. [BLACKOUT]In my opinion, just having the "Mandarin facade" (as I like to call it) wear ten rings was a nod enough to the comic rings.[/BLACKOUT]

the only thing i hoped was [BLACKOUT]Kingsley reveal scene was very comedic and should not have been like that, probably annoyed many people...
Also Killian ripping Tony's armor to shreds is very reminiscent of Mandarin[/BLACKOUT]

seems fine to me.. what's being spoiled there? that Tony and Rhodey are at a bar and that he get's into to a suit?

Oh man, I wasn't expecting either of those to happen!

That is a spoiler to anyone who hasn't seen the film or downloaded a copy. I had no idea that happened until it was posted here and would rather have found out about it first when I see the movie in a theater. The specific details of the film are being unnecessarily spoiled here, IMO.

That is a spoiler to anyone who hasn't seen the film or downloaded a copy. I had no idea that happened until it was posted here and would rather have found out about it first when I see the movie in a theater. The specific details of the film are being unnecessarily spoiled here, IMO.

everything of any importance in that post was blacked out though.

Okay, here is my opionion about IM3:

Imagine a Batman movie... trailers said the Joker will finally be the villain after two predecessors where he didn't appear.
The film shows scenes with the Joker played by a great actor who is just awesome in that role.
Then it turns out that he really isn't the Joker. He is just an old drunken clown paid by Hush who is the real villain. "Joker" doesn't do anything of importance in the film.
Then, in the showdown, Hush says to Batman: "You wanted the Joker? You have him. Actually, I am the Joker." Of course, Hush doesn't look that part and doesn't have the Joker's background, weapons and character. So you can say the Joker didn't appear in the movie.

Does this sound like something you would like?

The Mandarin twist was a very bad idea, but it didn't ruin the film entirely. However, aside from that twist, there were also a lot of plot holes. So sorry, not a great movie at all.

Okay, here is my opionion about IM3:

Imagine a Batman movie... trailers said the Joker will finally be the villain after two predecessors where he didn't appear.
The film shows scenes with the Joker played by a great actor who is just awesome in that role.
Then it turns out that he really isn't the Joker. He is just an old drunken clown paid by Hush who is the real villain. "Joker" doesn't do anything of importance in the film.
Then, in the showdown, Hush says to Batman: "You wanted the Joker? You have him. Actually, I am the Joker." Of course, Hush doesn't look that part and doesn't have the Joker's background, weapons and character. So you can say the Joker didn't appear in the movie.

Does this sound like something you would like?

The Mandarin twist was a very bad idea, but it didn't ruin the film entirely. However, aside from that twist, there were also a lot of plot holes. So sorry, not a great movie at all.

So sorry, just your opinion.

I'm down with people having whatever opinion they want about whatever movie they want. But when people tag end it with snarky BS, I just assume they're posting it to be antagonistic rather than genuinely wanting to share and open a discussion.

Looking forward to seeing this tonite. Took 8 years but finally Shane Black has another film. While most are comparing it to the other marvel films ( rightfully so ) I'll be comparing it to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and his other scripts. I wanted to go at 9pm but the first showing for 2D wasn't till 10. Just glad they have a 2D showing.

Incredible Hans said:
Of course it's my opionion. How could it be something else?

By being someone else's? Not everyone is capable of original thought... Haven't you seen Transformers 3?

Of course it's my opionion. How could it be something else? :doh:

I was saying that in regards to like Wolvieboy said, your snarky little comment at the end of your "thoughts" on the movie. How you're just like "so sorry, not a great movie at all". It's when people say stuff like this. Their opinion as if its a fact, or like Wolvieboy said to be more antagonistic or what not.

I was saying that in regards to like Wolvieboy said, your snarky little comment at the end of your "thoughts" on the movie. How you're just like "so sorry, not a great movie at all". It's when people say stuff like this. Their opinion as if its a fact, or like Wolvieboy said to be more antagonistic or what not.

He said the review was just his opinion at the outset. I don't see anywhere that he claimed his opinion was universal fact. He can honestly think it wasn't a great movie at all - that's a valid opinion.

And honestly? Its not that snarky.

Also Hans comparing The twist and Mandarin to the joker is kinda soft. Can you really say Mandarin is near the same league of villain as the likes of Joker, Green Goblin or Magneto for example. Cherokee has already hit the nail on the head with this a million times.

Yes, it's just an opinion. Like everything else.

No one should feel offended by me saying that this is not a great movie.

Everyone is still entitled to feel different about that movie.

Honestly, guys, I feel you are getting a little bit sensitive about all this stuff. This is only a movie. And when it didn't impress me that much and I says "not a great movie at all", then this is only an opinion and can't be anything else. It's silly to feel offended by that comment.

I really wished this was a better movie. I had high expectations. But I was somewhat disappointed. Didn't hate the film, but didn't like it very much either.

Also Hans comparing The twist and Mandarin to the joker is kinda soft. Can you really say Mandarin is near the same league of villain as the likes of Joker, Green Goblin or Magneto for example. Cherokee has already hit the nail on the head with this a million times.

In overall comparative terms, no. But Mandarin is Iron Man's archenemy, and one of his few enemies that isn't just an Iron Man imitator dressed up in another suit of armor.

Cherokeesam and others seem shocked that Mandarin has so many fans. But he does, so you guys need to come to terms with the fact that some people like him and dislike how he was presented in the film.

That's fine. I just read your 'so sorry, it's not that great' as a dig at the people who were positive about the film. If I misread that, it's all good.

There is already an abundance of people who can't express an opinion without it coming out as "YOU'RE WRONG, IDIOT" so I'm glad you're not one of them.

I personally quite enjoyed the film but yes, it is definitely quite divisive.

Edit: Also, I dispute the idea that because a villain is a hero's 'main nemesis' that they're pure and untouchable. There are a lot of STUPID villains out there and sometimes I think the main 'arch-nemesis' can be the laziest characters anyway since they're just plain opposites of the hero, or someone with the same powers BUT EEEEEEEVILLLLLLLLL!

Mandarin is Iron Man's arch-foe. So regarding that aspect (only), you can compare him to the other guys.

Hey, it's not my fault that Iron Man doesn't have a rogue gallery that is as impressive as Batman's or Spider-Man's. And with that in mind, ruining the one character that stands out from the other Iron Man enemies (even if he is not as iconic as Joker or Green Goblin) is not a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"