Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
THe thing I was referring to was that there seem to be multiple villains being introduced in each of the phase, and that avengers 2 will be more "personal" that's all. It was literally a thought that popped into my head in 15 seconds one morning on the way to work lol

so the idea went through my head. I didn't think too deepy, I thought, multiple villains, personal, multiple villains, maybe a masters of evil. It was just a thought that crossed my mind is all. I'm torn, but to be honest, I am still expecting Thanos in avengers 2 and 3. The MoE thing is eh, but that's just my reasoning for that idea popping into my head

I understand. I think some of you are trying too hard to read too much into that (in)famous "smaller and personal" story quote from Joss (which he's since had to go back and qualify in several interviews). "Personal" doesn't necessarily mean it has to be someone from each and every hero's past coming back to haunt him/her. That's one option of many.

Set photos from Beijing.

08431623510677900.jpg

08431734697550900.jpg

Still wondering about the guy in the white coat.
I'm wondering now if it's James Badge Dale again, as Coldblood. Is it possible that's some sort of Arctic Rangers uniform? Can't really tell what kind of shoulder patch that is.....But what if the story is that Savin comes from some arctic commando unit, and earned the nickname for that reason? (In the comics, "Coldblood 7" is a pretty arbitrary nickname that really has nothing to do with the character himself.)

The globe is a miniature version of the Unisphere used in the (real) 1964 World's Fair in NY and the (fictional) Stark Expo 2010 in IM2. They've added what appears to be DNA helixes to it. I'm wondering if it's supposed to be a Chinese branch of Stark Industries that specializes in genetic engineering --- AIM, possibly? Could Advanced Idea Mechanics (probably helmed by Aldrich Killian) actually be a subsidiary of Stark?

And who's the guy in the white hoodie? What he's wearing looks like some kind of martial arts uniform with a Ranger patch on the sleeve, and possibly the kids are part of his school. I'm *guessing* this might be Ashley Hamilton, who was long, long ago reported to be playing Firepower in this movie (but we haven't heard anything at all from him yet).

You could be right there may be some association with AIM and the world fair/the expo. Genetics/biology too not only nano-technology and robotics. I think we'll see that Mandarin controls Oracle as well... there's a reason Oracle was at the expo & Atlantis was on the map in IM2. Mandarin tried to take control of stark industries through Stane and Raza, I think. Some of this movie is definitely coming full circle from Mandarin's end. His audience will be bigger than Loki's. From what I've heard Kingsley may be sticking around for a while because his performance is that good. This doesn't mean we would see Namor in this movie, just slightly more overt references to Namor because Oracle may be in China too.

I think Mandarin has his fingers in a number of companies and groups. He wants the world, and will act much more like an emperor than a terrorist, king, dictator, leader, "mouthpiece" or teacher. He's the one who brings the pieces together and pulls all the strings to build an Empire... He's more strategic and knowledgeable about many cultures than Red Skull was and studies his enemies' weaknesses, uses them against them... From what I've heard IM3 will be just the tip of the iceberg for Mandarin. He'll be a significant presence through the entire film from the start, but doesn't get directly involved until later on. He keeps himself at a distance from any of the people who could betray him and threaten his empire. To do this he may be working against China and America at the same time, trying to take out the competition.

He has to neutralize two of the leading superpowers of the world before Shield can respond if he wants to rule the globe--this part's speculation. He's already taken Namor's company from him and may be an unconventional archaeologist who studies many cultures and believes in Atlanteans... though his supporters crack jokes about this. he has a certain vision for the world, based on things he's dug up.

Last edited:
You could be right there may be some association with AIM and the world fair/the expo. Genetics/biology too not only nano-technology and robotics. I think we'll see that Mandarin controls Oracle as well... there's a reason Oracle was at the expo & Atlantis was on the map in IM2. Mandarin tried to take control of stark industries through Stane and Raza, I think. Some of this movie is definitely coming full circle from Mandarin's end. His audience will be bigger than Loki's. From what I've heard Kingsley may be sticking around for a while because his performance is that good. This doesn't mean we would see Namor in this movie, just slightly more overt references to Namor because Oracle may be in China too.

I think Mandarin has his fingers in a number of companies and groups. He wants the world, and will act much more like an emperor than a terrorist, king, dictator, leader, "mouthpiece" or teacher. He's the one who brings the pieces together and pulls all the strings to build an Empire... He's more strategic and knowledgeable about many cultures than Red Skull was and studies his enemies' weaknesses, uses them against them... From what I've heard IM3 will be just the tip of the iceberg for Mandarin. He'll be a significant presence through the entire film from the start, but doesn't get directly involved until later on. He keeps himself at a distance from any of the people who could betray him and threaten his empire. To do this he may be working against China and America at the same time, trying to take out the competition.

He has to neutralize two of the leading superpowers of the world before Shield can respond if he wants to rule the globe--this part's speculation. He's already taken Namor's company from him and may be an unconventional archaeologist who studies many cultures and believes in Atlanteans... though his supporters crack jokes about this. he has a certain vision for the world, based on things he's dug up.

You might be right about all that. The Namor stuff is still a bit of a stretch, but I'd like to see hints about the Sub-Mariner and Atlantis in the MCU.

And I think I found out what kind of parka JBD (or whoever) is wearing in that photo, and it's not military; it's just faux military, designed by Canada Goose. At the risk of selling more non-Marvel product through IM3 (hey, this is the way we found out what T-shirt Mandarin was wearing in his photo), here 'tis:

http://www.jackenjacken.de/canada-g...;-p-498.html?zenid=q91rllpcl0ud4l67ukava7bt67

And Dr. Wu is definitely wearing an urban/arctic camo jacket. Wonder if it's an affectation, too, or if he's officially military.

Those are some pretty intriguing possibilities.

If he did steal power from a large number of groups and cultures, maybe they're fake military and they just wear them for appearance. I dunno for sure.
The thing about Mandarin's empire would be that he's learned from his ancestors and controls things from the inside. He's extended his hidden empire into many areas, but I think in this movie we see him trying to complete his plan by going after the military/airforce. "his reach knows no bounds", and he could have recruited his villainous empire from anywhere. But I don't think he's extended his reach into the american military or shield at all. Very likely other elements of America's infrastructure that he aims to control and use against them, in an almost bond villain sort of way.
Maybe even taking direct control of some of the new suits by the end on both sides, and trying to use Iron Patriot/the new suits and armies against Stark and both air-forces. Mandarin may want to control all the new toys of both gov'ts by infecting all of their air-forces systems with the virus that gives him control over the two leading superpowers, and also wants to neutralize much of their ability to respond with a wide-scale version of the thing Stane had in IM1. We've heard Iron Man will be controlling a number of suits and robots against him in the finale, it's almost like an actual armor war and then Mandarin starts to lay out all his cards. Once the other superpowers and leaders of the world want to hear his demands, he intends to use the device that Stane neutralized Stark with, he's found a way to broadcast it to the leaders of the other nations. His lessons start to be heard by the rest of the world, but Iron Man puts a stop to it all before it can go too far and Shield can respond. The attack on the leaders of America and Stark is just to get people's attention as he gears up to reveal that he's already invaded key locations in the world's infrastructure through his corporate empire. He's got men in many areas of culture, and likewise reflects a collection of cultures he's appropriated.

But in the trailer when you see the news choppers he wants to make sure the world sees the attack on Iron Man's mansion because he controls certain elements in the news, personally I think he has a man inside the gov't too. Someone out to get the Avengers from the inside of the gov't. Some of the plays to get Stark's tech through the gov't could have been made by the Mandarin if they're going really full circle, but I think the war machine suit went straight to the army and slipped through his and the senators fingers.

Maybe they don't have their ten rings members in the military, or at least the airforce, and his inner circle acts more like his private army. Wearing a uniform he's appropriated from another culture that he doesn't perceive himself at war with? Like some sort of symbolic thing since even though their faux it's Canada and not US, Great Britain, Russia, or China? He rejects certain cultures, but takes pieces of many cultures to symbolically represent that his Empire and vision for the world has him sitting at the top combining and using them all under his rule to express himself. That his decision to look that way is more symbolic because he almost worships older cultures and things from mythology. On his shirt it says the "point of AIM". He wants to take down the current rulers of the world, US and China, to keep building his Empire. I think his whole costume is representative of who he is, and it's his chosen emperor garb. He wants to connect with the past, and knows about Shield.. he calls them out in the trailer but underestimates Iron Man's ability to survive and stop the whole plan dead in its tracks.
He's not really a businessman like the comics, he's uses multiple businesses and other groups, terrorist organizations etc as part of his empire and is more of a "learn from past mistakes" type villain. After he wins all he claims he wants to be is a teacher, once the world is plunged into anarchy where none of the world leaders are in control. He wants to instill a political form of global anarchy as initially described. Because he thinks capitalism and communism have failed the world.
His father lived in colonial India during world war 2, but he prefers China. He has some problems with Nazis and dictators as well as colonials and Empires, but learns how to build his Empire and learns from their mistakes too... AIM may also be a front for Hydra and Mandarin is really kicking off the resurrection of Hydra that's completed in CA2, although he's unaware of this.

They were actually using him because of his talent in leading, Killian's just the scientist that dies, Zemo's really in control of AIM. So when Iron Man cuts the head off of Mandarins empire and severs his fingers the heads of the hydra regrow because they're actually a hydra. Mandarin was just a monarch/commander figurehead but more than a mouthpiece and probably won't die. He gets his hands dirty like Genghis Khan did as a leader, but prefers to stay at a distance and knows when to strike, where to aim. Studies the art of war.

Last edited:
As always there's speculation and then there is Loki's world. haha

Hey! You know what we haven't had a lot of in this thread lately?
More stirring the pot about the white guy seen in the Iron Patriot suit! :)

ironman3villianironpatr.jpg

Yeah, yeah....I know we've been back and forth --- here and all the other fansites --- about whether or not this is James Badge Dale or just a white stunt man filling in for Cheadle.

But has anyone considered a third option: maybe this is Ashley Hamilton?

Hamilton was confirmed for the cast a long time ago, yet no one seems to have seen or mentioned him. And we definitely haven't seen anything hinting at the canonical Firepower armor yet.

Is it possible he's been right here under our noses the whole time...?

Suppose Jack Taggert doesn't get the Firepower armor in this movie, but instead the Iron Patriot armor. I know that conventional wisdom says the IP armor is just War Machine in a red white n blue livery....

...but what if Rhodey no longer pilots War Machine?

Maybe Rhodey has been taken off the armor by the military (honorable or dishonorable discharge, take yer pick), and Taggert is given the honor instead?

But we've seen that shot finished on marvel's site...the suit still has Rhodes name on it.

But we've seen that shot finished on marvel's site...the suit still has Rhodes name on it.

Maybe he gets replaced *during* the movie...? :huh:

Either way, I'm still curious about what happened to Ashley Hamilton. If that's *not* him, then is he even in the movie at all, or can we dismiss Jack Taggert/Firepower entirely as a rumor that never panned out?

Maybe he gets replaced *during* the movie...? :huh:

Either way, I'm still curious about what happened to Ashley Hamilton. If that's *not* him, then is he even in the movie at all, or can we dismiss Jack Taggert/Firepower entirely as a rumor that never panned out?

Could be him, I guess it would make a lot more sense that Mandarin has one of his guys replace Rhodey physically and infiltrates the military ahead of time. Before extremis is finished. after whichever of his attacks happens first. The Firepower suit can be similar to War Machine in some ways, and they wouldn't kill off Rhodey. Maybe he does object to what the gov't/military is doing and another pilot quickly steps in.

Mandi might have a small army in his employ, and then a bigger one I'm pretty sure.
I think Coldblood and Firepower are like his personal assassins, and Taggert himself gets drawn into it. Sort of manipulated into it.
Killian/Maya may try to betray Mandarin and Killian will suffer the consequences, but by that point extremis is already created.

Last edited:
There also could be a little bit of history repeating and Mandi is on the lookout for anyone who may betray him/his hidden network.

"Accounts of Genghis Khan's life are marked by claims of a series of betrayals and conspiracies. These include rifts with his early allies such as Jamukha (who also wanted to be a ruler of Mongol tribes) and Wang Khan (his and his father's ally), his son Jochi, and problems with the most important shaman, who was allegedly trying to drive a wedge between him and his loyal brother Khasar. His military strategies showed a deep interest in gathering good intelligence and understanding the motivations of his rivals as exemplified by his extensive spy network and Yam route systems. He seemed to be a quick student, adopting new technologies and ideas that he encountered, such as siege warfare from the Chinese. He was also ruthless, as demonstrated by his measuring against the lynch pin tactic used against the tribes led by Jamukha."

Mandi may come off great because some of his lines sound like they're taken from the Art of War. ""for the last two thousand years it remained the most important military treatise in Asia, where even the common people knew it by name."[3] It has had an influence on Eastern and Western military thinking, business tactics, legal strategy and beyond." -from wiki

He's probably still involved with strange archaeological finds and almost too obsessed with history and cultures. I think his rings are mainly symbolic, but he still found them during an excavation and they tell a story as the movies progress. We know they're not magic or modern science, or Alien tech, so there's only a few options. Feige said the rings are still the source of his power.

Last edited:
Thanks! Updating that shouldn't be too difficult and could look cool.

Honestly, I wouldn't even expect a look that "cyborg-y." In fact, I doubt Coldblood (JBD) will really have a costume at all, because I firmly believe they've given him Mallen's part in the Extremis story. Mallen was just an ordinary guy who happened to be given superpowers by the Extremis injection. Sure, he kicked IM's ass, but he didn't go all supervillain on him and try to adopt a costume. I think that's what we'll see with Coldblood as well. Maybe some weird "technovirus" kind of makeup to show his veins and arteries and body getting Extremis-ized.

I expect to see him dressed "normally" too. That's what it looks like in the trailer any-how.

Hey! You know what we haven't had a lot of in this thread lately?
More stirring the pot about the white guy seen in the Iron Patriot suit! :)

Yeah, yeah....I know we've been back and forth --- here and all the other fansites --- about whether or not this is James Badge Dale or just a white stunt man filling in for Cheadle.

But has anyone considered a third option: maybe this is Ashley Hamilton?

Hamilton was confirmed for the cast a long time ago, yet no one seems to have seen or mentioned him. And we definitely haven't seen anything hinting at the canonical Firepower armor yet.

Is it possible he's been right here under our noses the whole time...?

Suppose Jack Taggert doesn't get the Firepower armor in this movie, but instead the Iron Patriot armor. I know that conventional wisdom says the IP armor is just War Machine in a red white n blue livery....

...but what if Rhodey no longer pilots War Machine?

Maybe Rhodey has been taken off the armor by the military (honorable or dishonorable discharge, take yer pick), and Taggert is given the honor instead?

I do think that some how Taggert is going to get the armor, weather stealing it, or having it given to him, because we see the scene on AF1 where IP is slamming a guy into a desk, and tony blats him out the window.

So in essence I think both reports are right. IP starts as Rhodey, but Taggert takes him over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"