Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superman is an all-powerful alien who can hear a gnat fart from three universes away and can reverse said fart by flying around real fast. That's not exactly the same as a normal guy who builds fancy suits of armor.

Maybe next time Lois falls off a skyscraper Supes should just let her handle it herself. She doesn't need his protection, after all.

Now you're starting to sound like Dick Cheney and George Dubya. "The terrorists are everywhere!" So we should all live our lives in fear and give up the freedom and liberty that we hold dear in exchange for "protection?"

The ONLY way to fight a terrorist is to take away his terror. Living your life day-to-day like you always do, and show that you're unafraid, is the way to fight terror.

Come on, Sam. A Dubya reference? To me?

Your exaggerations aside, your argument still doesn't hold water. It's not taking away Pepper's freedom to create a suit that protects her in the event of an attack. It's not like it's following her to the bathroom or anything.

Come on, Sam. A Dubya reference? To me?

Your exaggerations aside, your argument still doesn't hold water. It's not taking away Pepper's freedom to create a suit that protects her in the event of an attack. It's not like it's following her to the bathroom or anything.

Sure it is. Tony's bad guys are "everywhere," right? An attack could come any minute now. Is Pepper prepared...? :wow:

Image posted by Vartha in the Fan Art/Manips thread.

im308.png

Rescue would be pretty close to ruining the film for me. The notion of Gwenyth Paltrow in a suit is camp verging on Batman & Robin territory. Hopefully, its only used as an escape pod and not for combat. Seeing Tony's shrieking secretary flying around, blasting things would be stupid. May as well give Happy a suit and make them members of the Avengers.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever written on SHH. And there has been some pretty stupid **** said on this board.

Its just that Rhodey's a fighter pilot, Tony is Tony.

Giving Potts an armor makes it seem like the armor makes the hero when I believe the point of this movie is to prove the exact opposite.

"Wanna protect your loved ones ? Slap some armor on 'em"

And I hate this modern notion that having a damsel in distress is always a horrible thing, it's ludicrous.

So now you want her on the front lines facing all the nasties that Tony does? :huh:

A good hero protects his loved ones the same way they've *always* done --- keep them out of harm's way in the first place. If Pepper gets to the point that she's an easy target for the bad guys and needs a suit of armor to protect herself, then she needs to start putting some distance between herself and Tony.

But any suit Pepper gets/doesn't get wouldn't be to fight bad guys on the front lines...it would be to protect her while she's GTFO of the mess...

Tony has tried to keep Pepper out of harms way... But after the events of Avengers, he would know that it might not be possible to keep her out of harms way...what with the sheer numbers he had to face...

[

There's also a massive difference between being a strong independent woman who has the courage, resourcefulness and smarts to keep out of the line of fire, versus being a precious damsel-in-distress wuss who needs to put on iron underwear so the mean ol' baddies can't hurt her.

She doesn't need protection. Open your eyes, Rescue-ites. She's a stronger character than that.

nail on the head

however, with that being said, I have no problem with tony making a spontaneous decision to put her in a suit, to physically keep her safe. They are his house, they get attacked, he can't get her out in time, so they make the quick decision to put her in a suit. Could be like..two minutes, and one shot. I have no problem with that as well.

As sam said though, she doesn't NEED protection. But in a scenario like this ^ where she may not be able to get out alive, then throwing her in a suit of armor to prevent physical damage, and hiding..that's fine by me. As long as that's all the armor is used for..a safe house

Last edited:
Sure it is. Tony's bad guys are "everywhere," right? An attack could come any minute now. Is Pepper prepared...? :wow:

I think you and I have a different view of what this Rescue armor would be. I'm thinking of it like his suit in Avengers. She wears bracelets. In the event of an attack--which could come at any time, in any venue--the bracelets call the suit, it shows up to take her out of trouble, and that's it. No fighting, no damsel in distress. It's exactly the kind of thing Stark would come up with.

And yes, Tony's enemies really are everywhere. The 10 Rings are a distributed network.

The Rescue armour is needless, especially how some are arguing for it. Like I've said elsewhere (in a thread actually dedicated to this conversation), if she were to get some armour it would be naive to think she'd simply run away to safety.

You're essentially reducing her to a damsel in distress by giving her armour just so she can run away (and let the men fight :oldrazz:). If Tony uses his armour through Extremis to remotely save her in a scene then it's not so bad as she doesn't really have a choice, but giving her an armour of her own and expecting her to simply run away is silly. You undermine her character that way.

I think you and I have a different view of what this Rescue armor would be. I'm thinking of it like his suit in Avengers. She wears bracelets. In the event of an attack--which could come at any time, in any venue--the bracelets call the suit, it shows up to take her out of trouble, and that's it. No fighting, no damsel in distress. It's exactly the kind of thing Stark would come up with.

People are letting their dislike of events from the comics cloud their judgment of the films. It's a perfectly logical step that Tony would take. I find the idea that he wouldn't do so not only unrealistic but absurd.

Not to mention no one has even seen the scene in question yet. When I was a kid we had Magic 8-balls for predicting the future. Now they use Legos, apparently.

People are letting their dislike of events from the comics cloud their judgment of the films. It's a perfectly logical step that Tony would take. I find the idea that he wouldn't do so not only unrealistic but absurd.

Not to mention no one has even seen the scene in question yet. When I was a kid we had Magic 8-balls for predicting the future. Now they use Legos, apparently.

Oh come on, Whiskey. I think you may have used a bit of hyperbole there. You mean barring all other possibilities? It's just a story and there are other possibilities. For one, Tony wanting to distance and isolate himself from his loved ones is another good possibility.

Yeah I agree with this guy. Sexist or not the problem is that the concept of Rescue is just stupid. Its stupid in the comics and will be stupid in the film.

Pepper already showed that she can hold her own in the previous films. Putting in armor would be the sexist thing to do.

"Here Pepper, you can't take care of yourself and you're a baby. Use this Armor I made for you or you'll die."

She's already depicted as a strong female.

Well she's not a god either... She's a strong woman but that amounts to nothing when your house is blown up...

Stark just witnessed an entire city get ambushed by an army of aliens. Presumably there were a ton of casualties. Its perfectly normal for him to make a suit for the 'one person he can't live without' seeing as he can't be everywhere at once. The guy is experiencing PTSD, and has come to the realization that there are massive forces out there gunning for him. Having a suit for Pepper makes perfect sense given the circumstances.

So now you want her on the front lines facing all the nasties that Tony does? :huh:

A good hero protects his loved ones the same way they've *always* done --- keep them out of harm's way in the first place. If Pepper gets to the point that she's an easy target for the bad guys and needs a suit of armor to protect herself, then she needs to start putting some distance between herself and Tony.

Lol you're just about as bad as elmariachi. No one has said anything about her FIGHTING LIKE TONY ON THE FRONTLINE. the rescue concept is almost purely a "get oneself or others out of harms way" she's a defensive hero, not an offensive one.

If they make a nod to it in the film i see nothing wrong with it... Be it tony applying armor to her and getting her out of dodge, or at the end she suits up to return the favor in saving tony

She shouldn't be any more than that And she better not get shrapnel in her heart from an explosion like she did in the comics.....

T"Challa;25168401 said:
Stark just witnessed an entire city get ambushed by an army of aliens. Presumably there were a ton of casualties. Its perfectly normal for him to make a suit for the 'one person he can't live without' seeing as he can't be everywhere at once. The guy is experiencing PTSD, and has come to the realization that there are massive forces out there gunning for him. Having a suit for Pepper makes perfect sense given the circumstances.

But is it right for her character or the story? Just because Tony can, doesn't mean he should. Why would Pepper even agree? She doesn't strike me as someone who just suit up because Tony asked her.

Lol you're just about as bad as elmariachi.

Come on. Cherokeesam hasn't come in here spouting sexist nonsense.

There's also a massive difference between being a strong independent woman who has the courage, resourcefulness and smarts to keep out of the line of fire, versus being a precious damsel-in-distress wuss who needs to put on iron underwear so the mean ol' baddies can't hurt her.

She doesn't need protection. Open your eyes, Rescue-ites. She's a stronger character than that.

Lol lord... I guess all the male heroes are just stupid and weak and relying fully on their abilities...

Why can't they be both? Why can't a female have both?

But is it right for her character or the story? Just because Tony can, doesn't mean he should. Why would Pepper even agree? She doesn't strike me as someone who just suit up because Tony asked her.

I don't think he's spouting sexist comments at all. I think he's assuming the armor is going to be used in a fashion that IS sexist, and I don't believe there's any evidence of that. It certainly seems like a valid thing to do given Tony's state of mind.

To your last point, I kind of got the impression that the clip from the trailer where he's talking about protecting the things he can't live without might be an argument with Pepper, possibly about creating Rescue. She might not want such a thing.

The Rescue armour is needless, especially how some are arguing for it. Like I've said elsewhere (in a thread actually dedicated to this conversation), if she were to get some armour it would be naive to think she'd simply run away to safety.

You're essentially reducing her to a damsel in distress by giving her armour just so she can run away (and let the men fight :oldrazz:). If Tony uses his armour through Extremis to remotely save her in a scene then it's not so bad as she doesn't really have a choice, but giving her an armour of her own and expecting her to simply run away is silly. You undermine her character that way.

That's exactly what I think it'll be.

Sexist no. Over reacting and jumping to conclusions however.... Yes

Image posted by Vartha in the Fan Art/Manips thread.

im308.png

I'm still of the opinion that we are getting these armors in the film. You can clearly see some that have been in the movies already, plus the Deep Space Armor which has all but been confirmed.

Why are so many people insisting that any other armors in that image are strictly going to be toys and not appear in the film?

Pepper in armor might even put her in more danger. She could be mistaken for Iron Man or just as a threat to the villain. It's such a double edged sword that I dont think its worth it.

Storywise its just a horrible idea.

To your last point, I kind of got the impression that the clip from the trailer where he's talking about protecting the things he can't live without might be an argument with Pepper, possibly about creating Rescue. She might not want such a thing.

I can imagine Pepper turning down Tony if he asked. She doesn't seem like Tony and Rhodey who are much more gung ho about it.

That's exactly what I think it'll be.

That I can live with. I just don't want to see her with her own designed armour that she can control herself so she can just run away (that's where you risk undermining her character).

Sexist no. Over reacting and jumping to conclusions however.... Yes

I kinda feel you calling Cherokee out on how he argues things is a lot like throwing stones in a glass house.

Just because Pepper is a strong woman doesn't mean she can take a missle to the face.
sorry, but that argument is dumb.

I can see why people dont want Pepper to be in the rescue armor, it could be campy if done poorly..
but like everyone else said, I could definitely see Tony launching the armor to take her to safety
It's what I'd do if I had billions of dollars, advanced technology, and well-funded enemies.

or hell, maybe that extremis infected suit we saw staring at pepper in bed may kidnap her for the mandarin
only time'll tell

Oh come on, Whiskey. I think you may have used a bit of hyperbole there. You mean barring all other possibilities? It's just a story and there are other possibilities. For one, Tony wanting to distance and isolate himself from his loved ones is another good possibility.

Drawing a logical conclusion from a specific scenario is hyperbole now? And Tony's "shrieking secretary flying around blasting aliens on the front lines" threatening to ruin the entire film isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"