The James Cameron's "Avatar" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, etc. lobbied hard for Andy Serkis to be nominated for The Lord of the Rings, but the Academy rejected him because they said a computer generated character was not eligible.

So unless their rules have changed, Saldana wouldn't be eligible either. Which I personally think is BS, as Serkis and Saldana both 100% acted out their parts in the scenes with the other actors and the entire performaces were off their movements, voices, body language, and expressions. It's 100% their performance, even if they're not "in" the finished movie in the flesh.

And Serkis gave the most impressive performance in LOTR.
And Serkis' performance was far and away better than Saldana's, so she has virtually no chance.

And Serkis' performance was far and away better than Saldana's, so she has virtually no chance.

I will have to agree with this, I thought Serkis was superb as Golum, I was incredibly invested into his character.

that might be the worst post in this thread. what you smoking man?

He did an excellent job but nowhere in the leage that Saldana gave in Avatar. I dont' even think he did as good of a job as she did in Star Trek, and her Star Trek performance was light years behind her Avatar performance.

As far as Gollum goes, he did good for a supporting CG character, but Neytiri was literally a top billed character who was on screen moreso than the live action actors.

I still say give it its own forum. :o

But Andy Sirkus was voice acting. his emotions and actions weren't being captured in the performance.

Avatar is an example where its pretty much the actors' performance without 5 hours of make up and prosthetics.

I still say give it its own forum. :o

i know, i asked if it can but was turned down

hey everyone CNN will have something about AVATAR, i just saw a quick snip of it in the intro

But Andy Sirkus was voice acting. his emotions and actions weren't being captured in the performance.

Avatar is an example where its pretty much the actors' performance without 5 hours of make up and prosthetics.

Just to let you know Andy´s actions were captured in performance.

ah i found out that Steven Lang will be on CNN right about now
everyone tune in :D

Maybe he did beter job. But effort from Zoe combined with current team in Weta left Golum in dust. Golum was grate performance. But I had 0% emotional investment in him.

Where you emotional invested in Golum?

You don't know what you're talking about. Serkis was motion captured.

Maybe he did beter job. But effort from Zoe combined with current team in Weta left Golum in dust. Golum was grate performance. But I had 0% emotional investment in him.

Where you emotional invested in Golum?
Yes, because he was a fully fleshed out character performed flawlessly by a veteran actor. Neytiri was barely a character at all, and Saldana overacted to make up for the lack of material to work with.

Actually ... not really. That is more of marketing stunt. Technology is better put there is still a lot of artists from Zoe to final product.

He did an excellent job but nowhere in the leage that Saldana gave in Avatar. I dont' even think he did as good of a job as she did in Star Trek, and her Star Trek performance was light years behind her Avatar performance.
All this convinces me is that you don't know good acting from a hole in the ground.

pretty bold statements here

IMO, her Star Trek performance was typical "Blockbuster acting", certainly not bad, but also nothing spectacular / memorable

and while I don't think that Andy' s performance was worse than Zoe's in Avatar, I still would give her the nod

simply because she was the 2nd lead and the whole concept of the movie relied on her and her range of emotions

if the audience wouldn't have bonded emotionally the way they apperantly have with her, nobody would understand why Jake leaves his race and his former life behind just to stay with the Navi, IMO

Last edited:
saw this movie a 2nd time loved 2nd best movie of the year out 45 movies i have seen.

Yes, because he was a fully fleshed out character performed flawlessly by a veteran actor. Neytiri was barely a character at all, and Saldana overacted to make up for the lack of material to work with.

I respect that .. but at the end. I do not care!

Golum didn't make emotional impact on me. I do not care what is 'fully flashed" or who is veteran actor. At the end you feel character or you do not.

Rest of this I will not comment. It looks like you have some issues with director of this movie. IMO

I don't really think thats true. I think Serkis did a wonderful job yes, but the emotion Zoe bought 2 the movie did it more for me than when i watched LOTR.

Also, I'd like to point out that motion capture does nothing to make an animated performance better or worse. Two spectacular performances this year that far surpass Saldana came from Jason Schwartzman and James Gandolfini in Fantastic Mr. Fox and Where The Wild Things Are, respectively. They brought dimension, life, and depth to their characters instead of just doing simplistic emotional cues, and they didn't even motion capture. If anyone should be nominated for portraying an animated character, it's one of those two.

Well, I don't think that little of the character or the actor, but still, Neytiri could have been one of the best characters ever and Saldana could have given a Meryl + performance and the academy would still not nominate her for Avatar. It's not gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"