Dark Phoenix The James McAvoy/Professor X Thread

Rike

Crazy
Reaction score
tumblr_nz7dh6Z1NU1uokpato2_500.gif

I just don't buy McAvoy as the Xavier. Like to me Patrick Stewart will remain as the definitive Professor Charles Xavier in these films. While the other one was hired to fill the role of the younger version that somehow returned for more than 2 films now. I also prefer Xavier to be an old looking guy. McAvoy still looks boyish.

I think he's alright. I watched Split and thought he did a good job. The one scene where he lost control over his personalities didn't feel like there were different people on screen one after the other though, maybe he could've worked that one a bit more. Then again, I do miss Patrick Stewart. He didn't need the two finger thing to read your mind. Just teasing. :p

BTW, I've always wondered how mind-reading works (in the comics of course). Someone like Charles or Emma Frost, for example, would they pick up abstract thoughts and then put their own words to it? Or do they pick up everything in their language?

Last edited:
I just don't buy McAvoy as the Xavier. Like to me Patrick Stewart will remain as the definitive Professor Charles Xavier in these films. While the other one was hired to fill the role of the younger version that somehow returned for more than 2 films now. I also prefer Xavier to be an old looking guy. McAvoy still looks boyish.

I love the guy to be honest. McAvoy has been great in every film so far, nearly carried the awful Apocalypse by himself. Stewart is the perfect example of perfect casting. Despite that, McAvoy's Xavier might be my favourite character from all timelines.

Fox nailed Xavier twice, the only shame is these two can't share the screen more often.

tumblr_pfpg4vKxp71xrjrs7o3_500.gif

:drl::ilv:

If somebody needs something to "tease your imagination"... :p

Oh God, McAvoy...

I really liked James’ demeanor and look in the trailer. It feels more like professor X than it has before.

Also that’s an epic body transformation!!!

MacAvoy is just a superb and magnificent actor. His performance on DOFP as well as the other X-Men movie is outstanding.

About "Split", the sequence where he loses control over his personalities is Oscar-material.

I am excited about Professor X in Dark Phoenix, not only because McAvoy is one of the best actors of this generation but because the movie seems to be very focused in drama, emotion, and the characters, so there is a lot of potential.
Also we are gonna see that Prof X is not as perfect as he wants everybody to believe and he has made some mistakes/bad things that will uncover a darker side of him.

Also we are gonna see that Prof X is not as perfect as he wants everybody to believe and he has made some mistakes/bad things that will uncover a darker side of him.
Xavier's sins were exactly what brought about in X3, the first movie iteration of Dark Phoenix.

Every single one of the First Class prequel movies centered around Xavier's fallibility:
*FC showed he was a drunk co-ed that would rather his sister prance around as a perfect beautiful blonde as opposed to "Mutant and Proud."
*He was a drug-addled mess in DOFP, who would rather wallow in self pity.
*Apocalypse showed Xavier at his most idyllic, being blinded by rose-coloured glasses.

Even my favourite, X2, showed he kept things from Wolverine. Xavier not being perfect is nothing groundbreaking. If anything Xavier not being perfect is about as status quo as you can get in an X-men Fox movie. Well "status quo" right until the movie's third act comes around and Xavier's arc calls for him to see the error of his ways. Only for the next movie/decade to roll around and Xavier is once again imperfect.

Last edited:
I’m so pissed with the characterization of Xavier in this film. How the hell do you turn the one of the good man, into a *****ebag prick with a massive ego. This is just as bad as what Rian Johnson did to Luke Skywalker in last Jedi. Son of a

Um, did you watch First Class, and to a lesser extent, DOFP? Xavier has *always* had at least an inclination towards chauvinism and ego. You could argue he should have gotten over it in 40 years, but its not like anyone else has had 40 years worth of character growth, either.

I liked how in this movie he wasn’t incapacitated. He was out there in the field with the X-Men, liked his mental battle with Selene and his scenes with Jean.

Um, did you watch First Class, and to a lesser extent, DOFP? Xavier has *always* had at least an inclination towards chauvinism and ego. You could argue he should have gotten over it in 40 years, but its not like anyone else has had 40 years worth of character growth, either.

There's having an ego and being a freakin' sociopath. I literally left the theater laughing it was so comical what they did with Xavier. This is where Kinberg fails miserably--it's the nuance of characterization. He wanted to show that Xavier was flawed and makes mistakes, but instead, made him an egotistical, self-absorbed maniac. Every "caring" moment he had felt hollow and disingenuous; you felt like Xavier was saying nice things to keep up a persona instead of actually caring, or trying to manipulate others to get what he wanted from them. In First Class, his arrogance is nuanced enough that you never feel he doesn't actually care for other people, just that he knows he's good at what he's doing, which is helping others reach their full potential.

But hey, it's not just Xavier who's been butchered by Kingberg--same thing happened to Magneto in Apocalypse. The guy got Bruce-Wayned YET AGAIN, and murdered more people than the villain did. He went full pyscho--oh, but he helped a little at the end. So all is forgiven. Please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"