The Jason Aaron Appreciation Thread

CConn

Fountainhead of culture.
Reaction score
Y'know, I think he's very rarely mentioned when lumped in with Bendises, Morrisons, Synders, Hickmans, etcs of the world, but I really think Jason Aaron is probably one of the absolute best writers out there right now.

I don't think I've read a single bad comic by him.

Scalped is great, PunisherMAX may actually comes close to exceeding Ennis' legendary run, and his X-Men series seem to already be turning heads.

Who else absolutely loves Jason "Mr. Awesome" Aaron?

Ooh ooh ooh ooh me me me!!!

Yeah Aaron is great. I also enjoyed the first issue of the Incredible Hulk relaunch. Aaron is one of these so called "architects" that actually earns the moniker. There should be a Remender appreciation thread as well. Give me more Aaron, Remender and Gillen and less Bendis and Fraction.

I absolutely love Jason Aaron. He's amazing, one of the best writers in comics today.

Seriously, if he just wrote Scalped and nothing else, that above statement would still apply. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, my pick for the best comic on the shelves today, and it has been for the last couple of years at least, consistently, month in and month out. It's a shame more people don't read it, as with a bit more recognition, I think Scalped would join the canon of the all-time great stories of the comics medium. The characterisation and depth of storytelling is leaps and bounds ahead of pretty much everything else out there. The art - particularly by R.M. Guera - is incredible, but above all Jason Aaron shows he is a master writer. The Great American Novel is graphic.

But even before Scalped, with his first full-length comics project, The Other Side, Aaron shows signs of being a great. Yes, he further refined his style with Scalped, but The Other Side - and again, remember issue #1 of this was the first full-length comic script he wrote - has dialogue and narration that's just a cut above your typical comic book writing.

I'll admit, I'm not so much into his Marvel work. But that's less to do with any shortcoming on Aaron's part and more to do with the projects he's working on. I joke that Aaron has chosen the trifecta of characters I otherwise would never have bothered reading monthly comics with: The Punisher, Wolverine, The Hulk. But here's the thing: Aaron HAS made me read them. Though I dropped it on both occasions, Aaron made Wolverine: Weapon X and Wolverine good enough that I bought each for several months and enjoyed what I was reading, which I would never have imagined doing with Wolverine. And after picking up The Incredible Hulk #1, I think I'm going to actually try picking that up monthly, too. Incredible, indeed.

PunisherMAX is a book I've been wanting to drop for ages, due to my inherent disinterest in The Punisher. But though I desperately look for an excuse to drop it, the slightest dip in quality, I just can't, as each month the story just gets better and better, and it remains one of the more compelling titles on my pull list. The Punisher has never been more interesting or readable for me. Damn you, Aaron, for being so GOOD!

I can also confirm Jason Aaron is a great human being, too. He publicised the Studying Scalped articles I wrote on his blog, which got me a bunch of hits. And when I said on Twitter that I'd be looking for Scalped #1, #3, #15 and #16 at NYCC to complete my collection, Jason replied on Twitter saying he could bring copies of all of those apart from #1 with him to the show. Sure enough, when I found him at Artist's Alley, he produced the signed comics from his backpack, and when I asked how much they were, he told me they were free. Then when I went back to his table on Sunday, he was just giving out free Scalped trades to passers-by to "encourage them to give it a try." He might look scary with his beard, but he's actually a really cool, nice guy.

I try to avoid X-Men books like the plague but Aaron got me to read Wolverine and the X-Men so yeah he's great in my book. In fact all his Marvel books have been great. I love his Punisher work but I think my favorite Marvel work of his has to be his Ghost Rider run.

I can't heap anymore more praise for his Vertigo work. Go read The Other Side and Scalped right now if you haven't.

I can also confirm Jason Aaron is a great human being, too. He publicised the Studying Scalped articles I wrote on his blog, which got me a bunch of hits. And when I said on Twitter that I'd be looking for Scalped #1, #3, #15 and #16 at NYCC to complete my collection, Jason replied on Twitter saying he could bring copies of all of those apart from #1 with him to the show. Sure enough, when I found him at Artist's Alley, he produced the signed comics from his backpack, and when I asked how much they were, he told me they were free. Then when I went back to his table on Sunday, he was just giving out free Scalped trades to passers-by to "encourage them to give it a try."

That's an awesome story... :up:

He might look scary with his beard, but he's actually a really cool, nice guy.

The next Alan Moore? :wow:

:yay:

Nobody has mentioned his work on Ghost Rider yet, but I enjoyed his work on that book as well...

:yay:

Aaron's one of my favorite writers anywhere right now. I haven't read a single book of his I wouldn't describe as at least "really good." As others have discussed, Scalped is phenomenal and The Other Side is great too. I bought the Ghost Rider omnibus just because Aaron wrote it, and there aren't many writers I'll do that with. It was a great mix of fantasy, horror, and grindhouse-style sleazy action; but don't let the mention of sleaze make you think it lacks the compelling characters and thought-provoking themes of his other work.

His work on Wolverine might be the best I've read of the character. I've enjoyed a lot of Wolverine solo books, but most weren't anything deeper than fun action. Aaron really gets to the core of the character and explores the tension between his desire for heroism and violent nature. The "shocking twist" in the current storyline was one of the few that actually lived up to the hype. Probably the darkest thing I've read in a Marvel Universe book.

I haven't read his Punisher MAX (I want to finish Ennis' run first) or other X-Men books, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Yeah, I also bought the Ghost Rider Omnibus (another guy I'm not really a fan of) purely because Jason Aaron was writing it, and I wasn't disappointed. Crazy grindhouse fun.

I'm an avid follower of Scalped and I think it should be mandatory that Jason Aaron write Ghost Rider. I really think him and Tony Moore should be writing/drawing (respectively) that book until they die.

I've not read much by him, but I have I enjoyed a lot. Never really thought I'd be into Wolverine, but after a friend let me borrow his run on the main title, I checked out Wolverine and the X-Men last week. Besides that, I've really only read The Other Side, but again, good, very good.

Hated his Ghost Rider run for what he did to Dan Ketch, but Wolverine and the X-Men is looking good so far. I liked Scalped but dropped it a while back due to monetary issues. Gotta catch up with it someday.

I love Aaron's Punisher MAX run it has been freakin' great. I was way late to the party on Scalped but will be buying those in trade very soon. Also really enjoyed that Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine miniseries he did.

Hell yeah! Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine was some whacked out awesomeness. So much comic book insanity. Doom, the living Planet! I loved it. Unfortunately, thats where my exposure to Aaron ends. When I get another job, I'll check out Scalped.

The Spidey Wolverin story was excellent... I wish they could touch on that in ASM with the red headed girl in the story whose name I forget... :o

Jason Aaron has been in my top 3 for a while. He revived Ghost Rider after Daniel Way ran it into the ground. His Wolverine is the best in along time.I would love to see what he would do with Deadpool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"