Arrow The John Diggle Thread

I guess Dig is un-officially back as Ollie's bodyguard.

I like that Ollie was the one training Dig.Having not seen all his time on the island,it's hard to remember he's still more skilled than Dig.

I like that Ollie was the one training Dig.Having not seen all his time on the island,it's hard to remember he's still more skilled than Dig.

Still, I'd like Dig to teach Oliver a few things... don't make it some one-sided thing... I don't want Dig to JUST be Olivers 'conscience' type figure.

Think Diggle becoming another Arrow results in Ollie getting the moniker Green Arrow? Just to differentiate them? Maybe the team of Green and Red Arrow or even Black Arrow (I wouldn't even be offended. Black Arrow sounds cool and it's not like Merlyn uses the moniker).

i dont think they are going to call him green arrow at all TBH, i assume they will just stick with 'Arrow'

Think Diggle becoming another Arrow results in Ollie getting the moniker Green Arrow? Just to differentiate them? Maybe the team of Green and Red Arrow or even Black Arrow (I wouldn't even be offended. Black Arrow sounds cool and it's not like Merlyn uses the moniker).

I had said this in another thread that I think that Ollie will not be called Green Arrow for a while until Roy shows up as Red Arrow. I believe that the Police will be called to a scene and they will find arrows but they will notice that the color of them are red and not the usual ones they find.

Then Ollie will have his arrows found at a scene and his are green. So the police or the press will dub the two by the color of the arrows

Or Oliver Queen goes by the hero name of "Arrow" in this universe as the show and series name suggests.

It actually does sound less corny than 'Green Arrow'

Still don't see what's so corny about Green Arrow but I guess the shows producers figured this would be an issue with viewers and it turns out they were right. People really do get turned off by something as simple as a name. With that in mind I expect Black Canary to just be called Canary and any Green Lantern name drops as just The Lantern.

He's a superhero. He's already corny by definition. Adding a color to his name isn't going to turn him into Darkwing Duck.

I had said this in another thread that I think that Ollie will not be called Green Arrow for a while until Roy shows up as Red Arrow. I believe that the Police will be called to a scene and they will find arrows but they will notice that the color of them are red and not the usual ones they find.

Then Ollie will have his arrows found at a scene and his are green. So the police or the press will dub the two by the color of the arrows

I'm thinking the same thing. Except maybe they'll go by hood color.

I'm thinking the same thing. Except maybe they'll go by hood color.

So you would want Roy Harper to have a similar outfit to Ollie?

I wouldn't mind that I just wouldn't want an exact copy and I know you don't either but I kinda want something completely unique to Roy.

They're not really calling him Arrow either. He doesn't really have an official name yet. Some just call him "The Vigilante". Others just call him "the hood guy" or "the hood" or "the guy in the green hood".

Though I dislike both "Arrow" and no name and wish he could be referred to as Green Arrow, I'll take him not having an official name yet over the name "Arrow" any day. Because him not having an official name at least gives me hope that there is a chance for him to adopt/get the name Green Arrow eventually or for the writers to change their minds and give him the name. Whereas if he was already called just Arrow, then that would pretty much be set in stone and would be really hard to change.

i dont like any names where the color is part of it... maybe its just me... i just find it silly.

So you would want Roy Harper to have a similar outfit to Ollie?

I wouldn't mind that I just wouldn't want an exact copy and I know you don't either but I kinda want something completely unique to Roy.
I think Roy or even John Diggle can have their own outfit with only the hood in common. The hood actually looks like a separate piece from Ollie's black leather outfit anyway. I can see his partner sporting a red piece and Speedy sporting a sort of Yellow the way Mia did. Though more of a dark mustard color, maybe. I've actually grown to like the hood as a separate piece.

speedyrock.jpg

They're not really calling him Arrow either. He doesn't really have an official name yet. Some just call him "The Vigilante". Others just call him "the hood guy" or "the hood" or "the guy in the green hood".

Though I dislike both "Arrow" and no name and wish he could be referred to as Green Arrow, I'll take him not having an official name yet over the name "Arrow" any day. Because him not having an official name at least gives me hope that there is a chance for him to adopt/get the name Green Arrow eventually or for the writers to change their minds and give him the name. Whereas if he was already called just Arrow, then that would pretty much be set in stone and would be really hard to change.
I completely agree.
i dont like any names where the color is part of it... maybe its just me... i just find it silly.

I feel the opposite. Something retro and kinda cool about names like The Red Skull and The Black Widow and The Green Hornet and so on. Green Arrow or even The Green Arrow will always be cooler than just Arrow or The Arrow to me.

I think Roy or even John Diggle can have their own outfit with only the hood in common. The hood actually looks like a separate piece from Ollie's black leather outfit anyway. I can see his partner sporting a red piece and Speedy sporting a sort of Yellow the way Mia did. Though more of a dark mustard color, maybe. I've actually grown to like the hood as a separate piece.

speedyrock.jpg

I completely agree.

I feel the opposite. Something retro and kinda cool about names like The Red Skull and The Black Widow and The Green Hornet and so on. Green Arrow or even The Green Arrow will always be cooler than just Arrow or The Arrow to me.

Well Black Widow is a spider so that actually works well... Red Skull I also like because well... he has a red skull. I know thats hypocritical since Green Arrow shoots arrows and wears green... meh just weird to me. IMO calling him Green Arrow or Green Hornet is different than Black Widow and Red Skull.

i dont know maybe its just because of me trying to imagine Det Lance or anyone saying 'Quick, theres Green Arrow! get him!'

that being said... 'Quick, theres Arrow! get him!' doesnt work for me either lol

id like to know where they are going with the name etc...

Keep in mind, I never read GA stuff... so this is based on someones opinion with zero knowledge of the character.

I understand where you're coming from. Green Arrow is just a name I see being used by the press or people who actually like him. If someone doesn't like him of course they're going to say "That moron in the hood" or "The vigilante" or even a condescending Green Arrow the way Red Skull says "Captain America". I can't even remember a villain besides Joker referring to Batman as Batman with a straight face (that's irony for you). Even Scarecrow practically said it with quotation marks in the air when he said "The Bat-man". I don't really expect villains to seriously speak the names of heroes but allies I can hear saying it with a smile and no problem.

I understand where you're coming from. Green Arrow is just a name I see being used by the press or people who actually like him. If someone doesn't like him of course they're going to say "That moron in the hood" or "The vigilante" or even a condescending Green Arrow the way Red Skull says "Captain America". I can't even remember a villain besides Joker referring to Batman as Batman with a straight face (that's irony for you). Even Scarecrow practically said it with quotation marks in the air when he said "The Bat-man". I don't really expect villains to seriously speak the names of heroes but allies I can hear saying it with a smile and no problem.

yea i can see that... newspaper headlines etc... 'Arrow' Saves the Mayor...' Green Arrow' Saves the Mayor... 'Hooded *****ebag' Saves the mayor..

:hehe:

I was actually thinking of that last one but couldn't remember if the word was censored or not. lol I can hear someone calling him the hooded *****ebag, though.

Still don't see what's so corny about Green Arrow

He's a superhero. He's already corny by definition. Adding a color to his name isn't going to turn him into Darkwing Duck.
:up:

I don't really see how "the Hood" is any better than Arrow.
Or how Arrow is any better than "Green" Arrow.

I mean CW has already done this with "The Blur" and I don't see them warming up to GA's name anytime soon.

If Batman can create his own name,why the heck can't Arrow?

I just hope CW doesn't EVER get a Batman series going,or else we'll have Bruce being called "Winged Rodent" by the local police & media.:whatever:

A soldier never lets a brother go into battle alone.

Digg, Bro of the year :D

^
After Dig said that I so thought he was going to bite the bullet.

^
After Dig said that I so thought he was going to bite the bullet.

Yep :) Expected him to die. To be honest, I expected pretty much every character bar Ollie and Laurel to die at some point during that finale. Glad Digg made it out with only a flesh wound! :yay:

Diggle continues to be the man. This one of the best handled Black characters I've ever seen on TV. He has his own storyline, he doesn't need anything, he has an actual personality! This is fracking brilliant.

Ollie - Eventually, when he becomes a superhero, and not just a vigilante, he'll have a need to control his image and identify himself as "The Green Arrow." Instead of just letting people call him whatever.
Speedy (Thea) - is Speedy. It's not the silver age anymore anyway. Corny sidekick names won't fl.
Roy - Red Arrow
Diggle (The Subject of the thread) - Arsenal, if anything

I kinda like Digg as Digg. He subs in as Green Arrow as needed, but he's not the vigilante himself... he's kinda like Alfred/Gordon/John Blake combined. That's cool with me.

Yeah good point. Arrow's handling of Digg and also Walter has given me faith that shows can have a black character who's whole purpose in the show isn't to be the black character.

Two of the best fleshed out characters in the show, and I don't believe race has ever been mentioned. Maybe Digg made a joke about going to a drugs den or something, but still really good writing.

I was a bit "meh" when I heard the writer say they want to work a gay character into the arrowcave, but Digg and Walter show that maybe these writers can do a gay character who is more than just their sexuality.

Diggle continues to be the man. This one of the best handled Black characters I've ever seen on TV. He has his own storyline, he doesn't need anything, he has an actual personality! This is fracking brilliant.

Ollie - Eventually, when he becomes a superhero, and not just a vigilante, he'll have a need to control his image and identify himself as "The Green Arrow." Instead of just letting people call him whatever.
Speedy (Thea) - is Speedy. It's not the silver age anymore anyway. Corny sidekick names won't fl.
Roy - Red Arrow
Diggle (The Subject of the thread) - Arsenal, if anything

I kinda like Digg as Digg. He subs in as Green Arrow as needed, but he's not the vigilante himself... he's kinda like Alfred/Gordon/John Blake combined. That's cool with me.

I largely agree with you about Dig. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much development he did get over the course of the season. Though of course he could always get more.

Though I do think I'm not ready to quite give the writers "A's" yet. He does tend to be the conscience character a bit too much. It's a vital role on the show for Oliver, at this point at least, but it's one I feel that black characters have been comfortably put into. What happens when Oliver does finally 'get' it?

I also hope they expand on Diggle's relationship with his ex-sister-in-law. Though I wish that she wasn't his sister-in-law, at least it's a romance.

I wouldn't mind if he did don a superhero guise next year. I mean, Arsenal definitely fits him, more than their take on Roy at the moment.

I also liked how the show handled Walter, and they didn't kill him off either! And they kept bringing back Roger Cross and even bought back Annie Ilonzeh for the finale.

In hindsight I think they screwed up by not making Ilonzeh Vixen, Bumblebee, Onyx, or another DC character. It would also be great to see Amanda Waller, Ben Turner, or other black heroes or villains show up down the road.

But overall, in terms of the show's black characters I don't think Arrow has done too badly by them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"