Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

One step too far. One of several.
I found it kind of funny that the only thing Ayer admits to is the Damaged tattoo, when all the other tattoos are trash as well. Then you have the grill and everything, ugh. I feel like warner Bros was intentionally trying to be as different from ledger as possible, but what they don't realize is that it shouldn't mean stripping the character of everything that makes him The Joker. Phoenix is the perfect example, so far, of what a new take on the character should be. You can still tell he's the Joker!

This movie is a one and done Joaquin is not playing the Joker again after this movie

We will see. If this portrayal of the Joker blows up, then WB will want to make more movies. Maybe ones with the Batman. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just try to merge Phoenix into the main universe and pretend that Leto never happened, honestly.

everything I've seen so far has got me hyped yeah I wished Batman was in it but I have to appreciate an actor the caliber of Phoenix losing himself in the character
I'm sure he'll do. Fantastic job. :)

I don’t know if you saw BvS and Justice League... but it’s really, really broke.

Any new Batman needs to be markedly different from a Batfleck. A retro, Neal Adams inspired dark blue suit Batman, styled appropriately to fit in with this new 80s, gritty, post French Connection-like aesthetic, would do this.

Broke in what sense?

I don't think they should go to far from that road.

Martin Scorsese was once attached to produce this film. I think not having one of the greatest filmmakers of all time attached to your film anymore was worth a mention :o

Why did he left?

Last edited:
The make up is growing on me, and while I'm not a big fan of the red nose in the final design (Joaquin has such a perfect Jokeresque nose already), I really like everything else, works perfectly for a one shot else-worlds story.

The footage upped my hype!!!

Question. I haven't been following this closely until now. I get that batman isn't in this, but does that mean he doesn't exist in this universe?
It could be that maybe he hasn't became batman yet but has he been training and this joker is what inspires him to finally suit up.
or, maybe he is off on his world walk about or something.

tumblr_p5i0xsIhc01rrkahjo2_400.gif

We have no idea how old Bruce Wayne is in this but one can assume he’s still a child since Thomas Wayne is alive. Which would make Joker fairly old when Batman finally shows up in this universe.

Question. I haven't been following this closely until now. I get that batman isn't in this, but does that mean he doesn't exist in this universe?
It could be that maybe he hasn't became batman yet but has he been training and this joker is what inspires him to finally suit up.
or, maybe he is off on his world walk about or something.

For what I have collected:

Bruce Wayne is nowhere to be seen to date, Thomas Wayne is alive and running for mayor. There's no much Batman material to work here. It doesn't feel batman-y.

It's going to play like an Elseworlds comic.

I don't know how many people read Gotham Noir but I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the inspirations behind this new Joker. And technically there was no Batman in it.

Y9e0dYv.jpg

We will see. If this portrayal of the Joker blows up, then WB will want to make more movies. Maybe ones with the Batman. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just try to merge Phoenix into the main universe and pretend that Leto never happened, honestly.
Oh its going to blow up guaranteed
I'm just sure that no matter how much money WB throws at Joachin he's not playing the Joker for multiple movies for that to even be an option for them

It's going to play like an Elseworlds comic.

I don't know how many people read Gotham Noir but I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the inspirations behind this new Joker. And technically there was no Batman in it.

Y9e0dYv.jpg
It's been a good while since I read that one. Isn't Batman possibly a figment of Gordon's imagination, or maybe not in it? I seem to remember it not being very clear. Bats does loom over the whole story anyway, whichever interpretation you like.

Ok, i didnt know thomas Wayne was alive and well.

Broke in what sense?

In the sense that anything connected to the DCEU is tainted at this stage. Any new Batman has to be very different from the Batfleck version, even just visually, otherwise it'll fail.

I'm working on a thesis that the general audience will no longer accept anything connected to the DCEU, not after the reaction to Justice League. This will be tested in December when Aquaman comes out! The reaction to this new Joker movie is tending to suggest that fandom is certainly far more excited about something unconnected to the DCEU, and I'm willing to bet the general audience will feel the same way.

Last edited:
I'm uncertain about that, the general audience have some taste regarding aesthetics. I truly hope you are wrong! The only good thing this Joker movie got so far is the aesthetics. For what we know, neither the story nor the setting are good. A disconnected film from the failed DCEU doesn't seem like the greatest idea. At least not with a ip like Batman or Joker.

Neither the story or the setting are good?

We barely know anything about the former (I haven't read the supposed plot summary leak, so I might be wrong on that one), but how the heck is the setting bad? A 1980's Gotham with what seems to be an interesting urban setting sucks? What?

I'm working on a thesis that the general audience will no longer accept anything connected to the DCEU, not after the reaction to Justice League. This will be tested in December when Aquaman comes out!

I think that's basically true, though a lot of people wouldn't mind carving out an exception for Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot did resonate with a people in a powerful way actually. Her heartfelt and altruistic heroism gave the whole thing a really refreshing quality. She's the one player that will be a real shame to let go.

I don't get the 80s background. Joker's anti-rich message actually feels like something that would resonate more today (what with the Occupy movement and rise of SJWs) than back then. Is it just because the 80s are hot right now, or maybe just to make a more visually interesting movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"