The Joker sized elephant in the room

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by diabolik, Nov 8, 2011.

1. diabolik

diabolik Well-Known Member

So how there HAS to be some talk mention or screen time for him in this final film right? They can't destroy Gotham, connect everything to the other films...and totally leave him out.

How do you think it will be handled ( if at all )

2. thewhyteman

thewhyteman I got yer side-kick

Logically, I think they will mention him. He is after all Batman's greatest villain. I have no doubt absent Ledger's passing, Joker would play a decent size roll in the third.

So I would think it would be done with Dialog. Possibly between Batman and Gordan towards the beginning of the movie.

3. Troy_Parker

Troy_Parker Well-Known Member

Maybe Batman will ask Gordon about him.

"How's the clown?"

I don't know, something like that.

4. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

If, indeed, Bruce is to continue his journey beyond these films in our minds imagination, a very corny way of doing it would be for him to hear the Joker escapes at the end. And I'd enjoy every second of it :woot:

5. TinkerTailor

I think his influence is going to be felt purely because of the position Batman finds himself in at the start of the film. Hunted by GCPD and taking the weight for Dent's crimes.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. 87vertgt

87vertgt Dark Knight Junkie

Good Thread...I've been meaning to ask this myself......

How are they going to continue the storyline???? They must have something really good up their sleeve as part 3 was in mind when part 1 and 2 were created.

At the same time. The Joker can get out of any situation as he's proved time and time again. How do they keep him locked up this time? I dont think they can.

7. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

I don't necessarily see a problem here.

The Joker's story arc was completed in TDK, and he's behind bars.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

This I agree with. Joker is finished with, and his legacy is all that's left. Enter Bane.

9. Pontillo

Pontillo Well-Known Member

would like to hear his name mentioned at least once. If he's totally ignore it will be wrong imo.

10. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

There could be some subtle reference, without having to mention him or his name.

Like how some Gothamites don't trust anyone or have gone crazy ( as the Joker himself said in TDK)

Remember in TDK, they talk about the Arkham psychos Joker has hired.
    At the end of BB, Gordon is worried about the ex Arkham inmates who were still out there.
    But in TDK, there was no mention of the LOS or RAG ( correct me if Im wrong)

Back to TDKR, they could also bring up the fact that all mob is locked up or killed

11. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Since Harvey Dent is obviously getting a few mentions, I think the Joker is guaranteed one, too, since he was instrumental in Harvey's downfall. It looks like the whole Harvey Dent legacy is part of Bane's plan.

Unless there's an Arkham breakout, there's no problem story wise with Joker being absent.

12. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

If Ledger were still alive, I could see Joker serving as the judge, just because he targeted Dent in TDK and because one of his stories about his past involved his wife getting involved with the mob. The scene could've elaborated more on Joker's past through the sentences he passed on the upperclass rich--businessmen and elected officials who were tied with the mob--and progressed Bane's plan for Gotham.

13. WiseBrook

WiseBrook Well-Known Member

Ive never heard any indication that this story was conceived during the earlier films. They said that TDK was originally planned as two sequels. But Im sure they do have something up their sleeve.

14. jmc

jmc away for a while

That's assuming connections to previous film are the driving force of the movie. I'll hazzard a guess and say they won't.

15. Ultra Lantern

Ultra Lantern In Darkest Night!

I don't think they need to mention Joker.

16. HisMagicTrick

HisMagicTrick Thank God I'm Pretty

Yes I was actually thinking about this. I mean, I really hope there will be some mention of the Joker, but if Ras Al Gul wasn't brought up in TDK then there's a chance the Joker won't be in this one. But, as others have said, because Harvey will be spoken about in TDKR then maybe the Joker will.

17. The Joker

Ra's was different. Neither Gotham City or Gordon knew of his existence. Only Batman did. Everyone in Gotham is aware of the Joker. He made one hell of an impression on them. One that is still going to have repercussions in this.

18. HisMagicTrick

Don't say that!!! :argh:

:oldrazz:

19. HisMagicTrick

Good point.

20. Armored Avenger

Armored Avenger A Wizard is never late...

The main difference between the lack of mention of Ra's and a potential lack of mention of the Joker is that the public are unaware that Ra's and the League of Shadows were behind the fear toxin attack. The viral for The Dark Knight made it clear that the people of Gotham believe that Scarecrow and an unknown Terrorist group were responsible.
    The Joker made himself a well known, self publicised force within the city and threatened the populace on television, walked the streets shooting at cars, blew up a hospital (after telling everyone in Gotham that he would) and forced an evacuation.

21. Armored Avenger

Armored Avenger A Wizard is never late...

Exactly my point, only bought up a few minutes before. The bat boards move too fast for me.

22. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

Good points, guys

23. GunRanger

GunRanger Well-Known Member

The entire city was under attack by The League (with biological weapons), and they had to evacuate. They also said they infiltrated every level of their city. No reference at all of the massive attack or destruction from Begins in TDK is glaring.

24. The Joker

The entire city was not attacked or evacuated. All the damage was contained on the Narrows Island.

Gordon: "The Narrows is lost"

That was the only damage done by the LOS. Their plot was foiled and Ra's was killed. Everything was wrapped up. The only loose end was Crane, who appeared in TDK. Oh and Falcone got a mention of being in Arkham and his empire was taken over by Maroni.

25. jmc

jmc away for a while

The reason no reference is made in TDK to the events of Begins is because the story is self contained and the events of the previous film are irrelevant, even though it's a sequel. Rises will more than likely be the same.