The Joker Thread - Part 1

Since, Riddler is inspired by The Zodiac, I’ve been trying to figure out which serial killer/spree killer Joker could be inspired by.
Honestly besides maaaybe BTK for different reasons than the mask, I'm not sure if you could really just assign him to any IRL serial killers and I'm not saying this is the route you're going but I doubt Reeves would make Joker just some serial killer.

I'd personally look to film antagonists for inspiration for this Joker rather than just simply assigning him to Manson or Bundy for instance just because they were charming like he is.

I wouldn’t model him after a serial killer. That’s what they’re doing with Riddler and him only.

I wouldn’t give him a mask either since Riddler has one.

In terms of characterization/goals, what would you guys like to see? Should the Joker have a/no motive? Should he be a true nihilist

In terms of characterization/goals, what would you guys like to see? Should the Joker have a/no motive? Should he be a true nihilist

This is kind of what I’m getting at too. It’s cool if Joker shows up, but what will he actually do? Joker is pretty random, sure, but him showing up and killing just because it’s fun would be pretty boring. I don’t want it to be like “Heres Joker doing Joker-y stuff”.

We’ve talked about him being compared to fictional killers, but actual killers are more interesting psychologically. There are so many with all sorts of motives and lack there of.

Anyone see the new Joker in the Earth One book? The hair is...interesting.

Spoilers for Earth One Vol. 3

sggoip8lcc471.jpg

I assume it's inspired by this Manson clip.

I don’t think we’ll ever get closer to my ideal Joker than Jack’s or a more beautiful line than “never rub another man’s rhubarb!” - I’ve always thought of Joker as a performance artist of death.

Nicholson called his performance “pop art.” The Andy Warhol of mass murder.

I don’t think we’ll ever get closer to my ideal Joker than Jack’s or a more beautiful line than “never rub another man’s rhubarb!” - I’ve always thought of Joker as a performance artist of death.

Nicholson called his performance “pop art.” The Andy Warhol of mass murder.

For a long time, my basic conception of the Joker was the homicidal artist type presented by Nicholson and Burton. Such a fascinating take on the character. Deceptively light on motive at first glance, but so many layers are hinted at. It was only when I started reading the comics proper that it suddenly dawned on me how unique a characterisation it actually is.

For a long time, my basic conception of the Joker was the homicidal artist type presented by Nicholson and Burton. Such a fascinating take on the character. Deceptively light on motive at first glance, but so many layers are hinted at. It was only when I started reading the comics proper that it suddenly dawned on me how unique a characterisation it actually is.

totally! So many weird inner layers there. Also, unlike any other film Joker, he’s even the brilliant chemist he is in the comics.

Have you ever read “the killer inside me?” Classic American pulp novel Stephen King considers on par with Moby Dick. (Poorly made into a Casey Affleck movie) - I read it in a day, absolutely flies. The main character, Lou Ford, is a near-perfect psychological profile for Joker.

It looks godawful for the character. It's practically a skullet. I like the button pin he's wearing on the lapel though. It looks like the three-lobed eye that Lovecraft describes in his short story The Haunter of the Dark.

Have you ever read “the killer inside me?” Classic American pulp novel Stephen King considers on par with Moby Dick. (Poorly made into a Casey Affleck movie) - I read it in a day, absolutely flies. The main character, Lou Ford, is a near-perfect psychological profile for Joker.

I haven't, but it sounds up my street. I'll be sure to make a point of buying it at some point in the near future!

I think Christopher Lambert had something similar going on in Highlander II.

Highlander II subsequently failed to make back its budget...

The hairstyle also reminds of me Waingro from Heat.

kmovie_image_2_400x400.jpg

But this begs the question, does the Joker have to look "cool"? Is it not okay if he has a bad haircut? I remember fans being turned off when some comic gave him a Boardwalk Empire style haircut that was cut shorter on the sides, and slicked back.

Do fans think the Joker is cool? Do fans see the suit and bowtie and think he's debonair?

Anton Chigurh has arguably the worst haircut in cinema history, but he's still a scary, and intimidating, villain.

Personally, I think there should be a certain degree of vanity to the Joker. Even with variations like Ledger and Phoenix, their disheveledness still ultimately feels deliberate and an attempt at somehow being photogenic, much like how Kurt Cobain or Johnny Rotten's chaotic looks were both very much manufactured and calculated to a certain degree. Controlled chaos in fashion, in other words.

The hairstyle also reminds of me Waingro from Heat.

kmovie_image_2_400x400.jpg

But this begs the question, does the Joker have to look "cool"? Is it not okay if he has a bad haircut? I remember fans being turned off when some comic gave him a Boardwalk Empire style haircut that was cut shorter on the sides, and slicked back.

Do fans think the Joker is cool? Do fans see the suit and bowtie and think he's debonair?

Anton Chigurh has arguably the worst haircut in cinema history, but he's still a scary, and intimidating, villain.

To be fair I don't hate the Endgame haircut (the shaved sides hairdo you're talking about) but yeah, he should have some degree of charismatic vanity at least. You don't want him literally dressing like a hobo with that Ben Franklin hairstyle.

He should be someone who takes at least SOME pride in his appearance. Otherwise he just looks like another random psycho who can't take care of himself.

I could go with a messy undercut or slicked back as long as he has a widows peek.
Personally as much as I LOOOOOVE slicked-back hair on Joker I'd rather have messy undercut just for some variety.

Every single big screen short hair Joker with the exception of Romero has had it slicked-back.

I get the sense that Ledger's hair was already greasy and the only water it ever deliberately got was when he dyed it green.

I'd like dry hair for this next Joker.

I know I know "he's random" and everything, but I have to wonder....if the Drops are his thing then for some reason I have trouble associating THAT with him looking like he stepped out of the 1920s, especially with all the bright coloring surrounding those ads.

But maybe he isn't truly "The Joker" yet so idk. I just feel like he should pop a bit more with all the pinks and greens

He doesn’t have to be black and white just cuz he’s inspired by 20’s characters hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"