The Justice League of AMERICA???

It doesn't matter either way to me. I was fine with it when they took off the last initial for the cartoon. I'm just pointing out that there may be a justification for it in the group's membership and methods.

The main reason for the name is because Barry named the team in honor of the JSA. And I think they keep the team name as the "Justice League of America" out of respect for Barry and for the JSA themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

oh God, the JLA isn't still under the U.N. is it? Talk about corruption....

I see no reason that the name should be changed. It's had the name for 40-odd years, and there's no reason to change it now.

Eh, I don't mind the 'America' bit. It's a tribute to the JSA.

I like the "of America" part because it's way cooler. You wouldn't see Superman going around saying, "I'm JL." That's lame. "I'm JLA" is much cooler.

In the cartoon, after beating the crap out of Captain Atom Superman shouted at the government soldiers who were trying to help him, "Get away from him! He's Justice League!" That works about as well as "He's JLA."

hippie_hunter said:
Also, don't forget that Aquaman, the Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman aren't even Americans. And other former members such as the New Gods, Rocket Red, Fire, Ice, Dr. Light, Adam Strange, and others came from other planets and nations.

Justice League makes more sense than Justice League of America.

To be fair Rocket Red, Fire, Ice, or Dr. Light were never on the JLA.

CAPT. MARVEL said:
oh God, the JLA isn't still under the U.N. is it? Talk about corruption....

Last time I checked, that's who they answer to.

Since when? From what I've seen (the entire modern JLA series), the JLA only reports to the UN as a sign of respect and so they don't leave the world in the dark about what they're doing. Ever since Morrison relaunched it, at least, it has never "answered" to the UN.

They don't mention it much, but I'm fairly certain that they do. I mean, logically, the nations of the world would not want a group like that to act completely on their own.

Which is the whole reason the JLA even includes the UN in their affairs. The JLA don't want to take the future away from normal humans, so they make sure to keep their global government informed. Ever since the very beginning of Morrison's run, including the JLA's reformation, I can only think of the UN actually being consulted once, and that was in issue 100, where WW addressed the UN about the Elite, and that was just to ask for help. Not once was any indication made that the JLA answered to them.

No indication that they didn't, either. And they have been shown answering to them in the past. I don't see why a roster change would change that.

celldog said:
Why the issue with the country that birth this idea in the first place?? America created the idea of the "Super Hero". It like hot dogs and apple pie.

If was the JLC (Canada) would you still want it dropped??

actually Apples were European, and I think they were the first to create apple pie.....

I just wanted to say that, no real reason.

Also, hot dogd are german. And fremch fries are from Belgium. French Toast was made in New York, though.

The Question said:
Also, hot dogd are german. And fremch fries are from Belgium. French Toast was made in New York, though.

really? Why do other countries always name foods after France if they're not French?

The Question said:

Well the 'hot dog' sausage is german, but the idea of putting the sausage in a bun and calling it a hot dog is a US invention

Infinity9999x said:
really? Why do other countries always name foods after France if they're not French?

They speak French in Belgium. Don't know about the French Toast, though.

I think the JLA should consult with the nations of the world, but I do not think that they should be under the jurisdiction of anyone. Theres just way too much corruption in the governments of the world today to attach them to a specific nation or for that matter group of nations.

The Question said:
They speak French in Belgium. Don't know about the French Toast, though.
Still makes it ridicilious, since it's actually the Dutch-speaking portion of Belgium that is famous for fries. In the end it hardly matters since the Spanish also claim themselves to be the originators of the fries.

The actual reason beind 'french' fries, is apparently (according to wiki) simply based on the manner in which they are created, through deep frying. Supposedly dubbed the 'French manner'.

The Question said:
No indication that they didn't, either. And they have been shown answering to them in the past. I don't see why a roster change would change that.
There's also no direct indication that Supergirl doesn't answer to the Guardians, does that mean we're to assume that she's a Green Lantern?

The fact is, they have NOT been shown to answer to the UN in their present incarnation, and absolutely no hints at all have been given that indicate that they answer to the UN off-panel. It just doesn't happen. With the evidence we are given, the only assumption that can be made is that they are completely independent of the UN. To assume that they aren't just because a completely different team wasn't is nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"