The Justice League of AMERICA???

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Fantasyartist, Apr 10, 2006.

1. celldog Registered

That does chance things. My point is that our taxes would go through the
    roof to support what we do. That's why the private donations take up the slack. Add them together ...along with the military.........NO CONTEST!! :up:

2. celldog Registered

:eek: :eek: DANG!! Thank You Mr. Spock

3. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

The descision to add the "of America" bit from the end stemmed from the cold war mentality at the time. That mentality is no longer in place. I see no reason to keep the "of America".

Because:

1) John Jones was never actually born.

2) John Jones never atended any form of academia prior to the police acadamy.

3) John Jones was never given a social security number.

4) John Jones has never been to a doctor, or had a dental apointment.

J'onn would need documented proof of all of these to pass as a human long enough to become a detective. Thus, he must have forged documents that gave the illusion of John Jones having actually existed.

Fine.

Again, not the same. The League's scope (not the individual members, but the League as a whole) is global. As a group, they favor no country over another. The U.S. government, on the other hand, favors one country over all others all the time. The U.S.

*raises hand*

OOH! OOH! I have a question! What the **** does that have to do with what I just said?

I'm under 18, have no job, and no means of transportation. I would have no way of leaving this country. Nor would I ever want to. I love the U.S. And I am plenty patriotic. I'm just not blinded by patriotism. I recognize when the government is wrong and when it does bad things. A true patriot doesn't support the government with everything they do. A true patriot questions the government as to make the country better.

Yes contest. In terms of percentage, other countries do more for international aid than we do. Alot of our money goes to the military, and other government programs. A rather small percent goes to international aid.

4. celldog Registered

Taxes!!! Private sector!!! Nuff said......
    You'll understand when you grow up. :)

5. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

So, that means his citizenship is completely illegal and fake. Which is what I've been saying the whole time.

Actually, you can. The League, as a group, ahve never put the U.S. above any other country. The U.S. government always puts the U.S. above every other country.

Yeah. That's specific.

I don't have a skateboard. And how come suddenly nothing I say makes sense? That's bull****. Just because I don't pay taxes, I can't have an opinion that means anything?

You keep saying the same stuff over and over again, and none of it disproves the fact that the U.S., in terms pf percentage, gives alot less to international aid than other countries.

6. Green Lantern Brightest Day

How does that make the team any less American though? In America we have several legal aliens who aren't citizens, does that make the companies they work for any less American companies? No, not in the least. Let me do a total tally for you all: 79 members have been in the JLA (80 if you count Adam Strange, 81 if you count Snapper Carr) 48 have been Americans (49 with Adam, 50 with Snapper) and 31 of them have been of other nationalities. Thats a pretty over whelming majority of them.

You're quite welcome.

I'm going to call complete BS here. Are you telling me that if say, Baghdad and Keystone were threatened similarily that Flash would save Baghdad first? NO CHANCE IN HELL. Same goes for Superman with Metropolis and Smallville. Batman for Gotham. Hal's a great example, HE RECONSTRUCTED TIME TO GET HIS CITY BACK! They would all save their homes before any others. BS that they don't favor their home country, thats what any good citizen of ANY country would do.

7. celldog Registered

Niiiice!!! :up: The defense rests. :) :supes:

8. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

That's because the U.S., in the DCU, has one of the largest superhuman opoulations. And 49 over 31 is not a mind numbingly overwheling majority. The "of America" part simply does not work. The League is not sponsored by the U.S. government exclusively, it has had more than a few non American members, and it's scope is completely global, and in no way favoring the U.S. The "of America" is simply a remnant of overzelous cold war patriotism that does not fit with how the League has been for the past 20 years.

Individually, they favor their homes. But I'm not talking individually. As a group, the League has never favored one nation over any other. Were their two crisises on the League's level happening at the same time, one in Keystone and one in Baghdad, they would probably split into two groups and call in a few reserves to help.

9. yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

I think there is no arguement about when the League first started the "of America" bit worked and made sense.

Now it's just an homage to the JSA and early incarnations of the JLA. It's not there anymore meaning anything, it just pays respect to what came before it.

I don't have any problem with it being there, I'm not American and it certainly isn't something to feel patriotic about - I just like the history of the name. But it doesn't mean anything; it's redundant.

Especially in the new OYL DCU Earth, where it looks like other countries are not going to be allowing American heroes to enter their borders, maybe once more they are for America.

10. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Fair point. I guess I don't mind it if it's simply to pay respect to the past.

Oh yeah. I heard something about that. I guess they could become more associated with the U.S. and it's government because of that.

11. celldog Registered

:thing:

12. celldog Registered

So....should the JSA drop "America" from it's name?? They fight all over world too!

13. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I still stand behind that Superman is here illegally. Anything that had to do with his adoption had to be illegal, therefore hes no differetn from an illegal immigrant stealing a social security number. Is it his fault? No. It still stands. Even though im sure by now hes been granted some type of World citizenship type thing.

14. Green Lantern Brightest Day

If a 55-45 majority in the Senate can pretty much be a straight vote, and will almost always result in the majority winning than I'd say 49-31 is even more overwhelming. It may not be mind numbing, but in political terms a twenty person majority is pretty substantial.

Okay, lets talk team. Say Imperiex was threatening China, and Darkseid was threatening America. The League could not even take both, which one would be the priority for the majority of the League? America. Because it's their home. To say that they wouldn't defend America first is nonsense, at least for the 50 members that call the U.S. home.

15. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

It has nothing to do with paying respect to the country of their birth. It has to do with paying respect to their predicesors, the JSA.

No, they were fighting solely on the behalf of the U.S. in WWII.

And since when were we talking in political terms?

Wow. That's not what they do at all. More likely than not, they'd call in all the reserves and split up into two teams. The larger for Imperiex, since I'm pretty sure he's more powerful than Darkseid.

16. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Actually, I think the League would choose China in that case. Imperiex is a much bigger threat than Darkseid.

17. Green Lantern Brightest Day

They aren't anymore. Thats your argument against the JLA is that its no longer an American institution and therefore shouldn't be the JLA. The JSA has also had non-American members (notably Black Adam) and is no longer just fighting as an American institution, therefore should also not be the JSA but only the JS, by your own logic.

Since the beginning of the arguments. Talking about the semantics of whether a team should be named with a country is always going to result in political diatribes because the arguments will be politically based.

Heroes or not, they still would defend their loved ones first. They aren't purely selfless, although we'd like them to be. I guess Imperiex and Darkseid were a bad example to use because they weren't equal threats. Lets take hypothetical situation where the League could only save one country. Are you telling me that as a team the majority of them would say, "Hey lets split up and lose everybody we love AND everyone else because thats what we should do." or would they save their loved ones first and make sure that that was the case? The majority of the heroes still have human flaws, and that little bit of selfishness is one of them.

18. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

The thing is, in the comics continuity, the League was never an American institution. The fact that they had the "of America" sprang from the cold war mentality at the time, but they never fought on behalf of the U.S. government, and many of their missions took place outside of the U.S.

But polotics have nothing to do with this. The League is not congress, nor is it's internal workings anuything like congress.

But not all of the League have loved ones in the states. And how would it be that they could only save one country? If there were two different crisises on different sides of the world, they would just call in the reserves and split into two teams.

19. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

In a situation like that, I think it'd come down to individual heroes' choices. The American Leaguers would likely choose to stay in America and save that country, but I'm fairly sure Rocket Red would head right back to Russia to help out there and Fire would head back to Brazil and Aquaman would damn sure head back to Atlantis or Sub Diego (which technically isn't part of America anymore), etc. If the whole world is coming to an end with a threat in literally every country, I doubt anyone'd be able to keep the League together. People would go to help whatever they think deserves their help the most.

20. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

And, if it were two seperate crisises in the U.S. and China, they'd most likely send a different group to each threat.

21. Green Lantern Brightest Day

There your argument falls apart again. The JSA was also never an American institution. It was American heroes fighting for America's honor yes, but not government sponsored. In fact they were shut down BY the government in the 50s.

Any time a decision regarding the League and its inner workings has to be made, what is done? It's put to a vote. Who wins a vote? The majority. Every time. (Example: the mind wipe) How is voting on how to do things not political? How is it not like Congress? If the majority (which we've already determined to be American in regards) decides that they should be the Justice League of America, then voila, its the JLA. If someone else has a problem with it, they don't need to be a member of the JLA. They can form the JLC or the JLUK, or whatever they want and see how many people join it.

22. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Which makes it much more of an American institution than the League. The League was some American heroes and some non American heroes fighting on behalf of the entire world. Also, the JSA was sponsored by the government. They worked very closely with the defense department, and often took direct orders from the president.

Fine. Although, I'm fairly certain most of the descisions are based on what whoever the chairman at the time says.

23. Green Lantern Brightest Day

And how do they get a chairman? By a MAJORITY vote :eek:

24. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

25. celldog Registered