The Justice League of AMERICA???

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Fantasyartist, Apr 10, 2006.

1. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Something like that has nothing to do with nationality, though:confused:.

By that exact same line of reasoning, if Themyscira or Atlantis was being attacked then Wonder Woman or Aquaman would want to save those countries first. All it suggests is personal connection, it has nothing to do at all with whether or not the group that they're in is more affiliated with one country or another. Taking that logic even further, what if New York and Chicago were attacked at the same time? None of the League members have family in New York, so they might went to take on Metropolis first...but that doesn't mean that they're all of a sudden the Justice League of New York.

Individual members can do whatever they want when they're not on league duty but officially, attacks in America do not take priority for the Justice League. They were stationed on a satellite and then on the moon, not in any particular country, for a very specific reason.

Not to mention, members of the League are called upon to decide between responsibility to their loved ones and their responsibility to the world all the time. Whenever Batman takes time out of his busy schedule to play detective on the moon, that's one more victim in Gotham city that might not receive his help. Every single moment that Aquaman plays hero with the landlubbers, he forsakes his duty to his own home, all for the greater good.

2. celldog Registered

:batman:

3. celldog Registered

Not to mention, members of the League are called upon to decide between responsibility to their loved ones and their responsibility to the world all the time. Whenever Batman takes time out of his busy schedule to play detective on the moon, that's one more victim in Gotham city that might not receive his help. Every single moment that Aquaman plays hero with the landlubbers, he forsakes his duty to his own home, all for the greater good.

I'm sure a member of the Bat team is watching out for Gotham while Bats is on the moon.

4. Harlekin Business

As an individual, you can. Not as a team.

5. celldog Registered

How?? You still haven't answered that? Heck....Batman has at times, been to busy in Gotham to even answer a JLA call. Gotham was more important to him.

You mean to tell me that Superman would let Lois die if Metropolis was under attack????

6. UK_Stu Registered

I don't have a strong stance on this either way to be honest and I would be happy to see 'of America' on the end for the sake of tradition (and brand).

But by adding a country to your name you do immediately set a certain perception about your team.

Its fair to say the JLA doesn't simply focus on the US and did have their base on the moon, and all their members aren't all Americans - but if you weren't aware of this, the name would make you think they were only Americans, working for and in the US.

7. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Batman and Superman are not representative of the entire Justice League. What if Wonder Woman wants to save people in Themyscira? What if Aquaman wants to save people in Atlantis? Why wouldn't you then call it the Justice League of Themyscira or the Justice League of Atlantis??

Furthermore, saying that the JLA is affiliated with America because Superman is partial to Lois makes no sense at all. Lois is one person. Metropolis is one city. They do not represent America, just as Superman does not represent the entire Justice League. What the heck does Superman not wanting Lois to die have anything to do with his team's affiliation to anything? To say that Superman's connection to Lois and Metropolis somehow equates with the JLA being connected to America is complete nonsense.

Same goes for Batman. Gotham is merely one city in America. In fact, Batman values Gotham more than any other city in America. If anything, that makes him more of a Gothamite than it makes him an American. Either way, it has no connection to the national affiliations of the team that he's in.

Hell, it could be argued that people like Batman and Aquaman who have strong ties to their home cities are actually less representative of the League than those who don't have such ties. After all, they're always the ones saying that their responsibilities at home matters more to them than the League. That makes them less associated with the JLA, not more. Therefore, Batman and Superman's ideals of favoring one city over all others is not a good representation of the true ideals of the League. Your ideals of favoring one country over all others is not a good representation of the true ideals of the League.

And on the other side of the spectrum, who's been the one most stalwart Justice League member through all its incarnations? Martian Manhunter, the guy who doesn't have any existing national connections. Because he's not particularly biased towards any particular nations, he's the one who personifies the ideals of the Justice League far more than any other member does.

Steel: "I made it quite clear when I started: my family comes first.
    Zauriel: "Steel. The JLA is sworn to protect all humanity, not just those closest to us."

-JLA: One Million.

8. yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

It's the same as Green Lantern, Hal Jorden. When he is wearing the ring, as he has actually said, he has no preferences to nations and no ties to nations. He serves the corps and thus protects the entire Earth and the sector rather than protecting America above anything else.

9. The Leaguer Registered

That seems kind of conflicting as far as his character goes, to me. I mean, he's in the Air Force. Ever since he was a kid, his non-GL life was almost entirely based around loyalty and service to America. It's seems hard to believe that he could drop such long-standing loyalty simply by changing uniforms.

And even though he has sworn loyalty to another military-esque force, the Green Lantern Corps, he pledged allegience to America long before then and it would make sense to me that Hal would feel a very strong pull towards favoring America's safety not just out of personal connections, but sworn loyalty.

10. yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

I suppose it because he is saying he is a true soldier, and maybe when he is a civilian or in the Air Force uniform he does have a loyalty to America but when he is in the Lantern Corps uniform he drops that alligence - because that is his job (even if he has personal feeling under that, he will put them aside). Which is what makes him a good Lantern and soldier.

But I suppose, he has never really shown too much alligence to the air force, he has walked out at least twice and hit his superiors multiple times.

Making sense of Hal's character (or lack of) is rather difficult.

11. GoldenAgeHero Registered

can we focus back on the damn book please, jeez! who the **** cares its title america.

12. Anubis Sup?

You do realize that the whole point of the thread IS in fact the "America" thing.......right?

13. GNR Registered

Can't wait for the relaunch.

14. celldog Registered

[B]But the question is "What country would they save first"???? It's gotta be home......the big USA. Steel said what I've been tellin' you all along. These heroes will go "first" to where there hearts are invested.

Where the heck is Zauriel now anyway??? :down [/B]

15. celldog Registered

This the same Hal Jordan that went Bonkers when Mongul destroyed Coast City?? Yep....I can see how he has no preference. :) Couldn't care less.

Wait...... didn't he try to recreate the city????

16. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Coast City is not America.

Have you actually read anything that people have been saying? You keep repeating the same exact points that have been refuted already many times over.

The members of the League can be affiliated to whatever country they want to be affiliated with. THE LEAGUE ITSELF IS NOT AFFILIATED LIKE THAT. The Justice League, by its very nature, is a job that often takes them far away from their homes to protect people they wouldn't normally be protecting. By signing up to the League and taking on the responsibility to protect the world, they are basically giving the rest of the world the time and effort and devotion that they would usually be giving to their own cities and their own countires. If they're not doing that or have biases that prevent them from doing that, then they're not doing their duties as members of the Justice League. That's the nature of the Justice League, and has been a long-running theme that's shown up time and time again throughout the series.

Uh, no s**t. The point is that this one guy more represents the ideals of the Justice League than most of the other members for the very reason that he doesn't have biases and preferences for any nation or any city that would hinder his devotion to the rest of the world.

Batman said it himself: To him, "Gotham is more important than the League." How can you say that his mindset is representative of what the Justice League should be, when he himself admits that his attitude of favoritism is not an attitude that is appropriate a member of the Justice League?

17. celldog Registered

:batman: He's got issues! But he always comes thru. Big deal.

18. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

YES.

That is exactly what they are supposed to do. That is the job that they signed up for when they signed up for the League. If they are not doing that, then they are not doing their job as a member of the Justice League. I don't know how to make that any simpler.

Please show me an instance from the comics where both America and some other country were attacked by threats of equal magnitude and the League collectively -- and not just individual members -- agreed that they had to go help America first, before they help that other country.

19. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Not true. If there are major crisises in two different parts of the world, the League would call in the reserves and split into two teams. That's how they've always done it in the past.

20. celldog Registered

And show me where they left America to burn while they when to China. :)

21. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

They wouldn't do that either. They would call in the reserves and the aid of the local military if need be, and split into two groups. A prime example of this was a JLA anual where the Apalexian aliens came back, and started atacking the Earth in three different places at a time. The League split into three groups to deal with it.

22. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Either start showing some evidence of this actually happening or stop making these claims.

But I'm not saying that they would leave America to burn, I'm saying that they would be obligated to help both out equally.

23. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Yes, that is exactly what would happen. In fact, that is exactly what has happened in almost every major disaster that has ever been shown; they either call in other Justice League members, or they can call in other teams like the JSA or the Titans.

24. yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

Or heroes from their own countries help out ... they are there (honest).

25. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, they're supposed to get more of a spotlight soon, too.