The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this week people were supposed to start filming or something.

We are not going to hear reports of every scene being filmed in real time. Eventually set photos should pop up, probably deliberately to generate some type of buzz. As of now, Fox has no reason to announce anything. Just work on marketing DOFP and then gear up for Comic Con and have some substantial announcements then.

Honestly would not be surprised if they move this thing to late 2015 considering how packed next summer is. I think Fox will change to a November or early 2016 release if they have any sensibility assuming they can contractually do that.

Last edited:
I think he has already said (in general terms regarding the properties other studios currently hold, rather than any specific one) that Marvel have more than enough in their own stable to keep them busy for a good while yet.

Privately, I would think they'd love to get the FF and all back, but little point publicly talking up Fox's hand in that regard.

Well if that's the way they feel, then as a consumer, the only thing I can do is avoid GotG this summer just as I did Thor 2, or any other cosmic angles they try to spin in the MCU. Never read or cared for those other characters, and the business those properties do will be a reflection amongst the audience that shares that indifference.

Last edited:
Just the same reason Ragonrock would boycott DOFP for Fox going through with this FF reboot.

We all have our own prerogatives of what we want with this genre and where our money is best spent. So I have to do what I have to do.

So are studio plants posting in the IMDB message boards really a thing, as in proven fact, or just an assumption?

I thought this week people were supposed to start filming or something.

From what Kinberg said, the actors would be showing up this week and the filming would start next. Based on Miles Teller and Kate Mara's Twitters, Teller, Mara and Bell are all in Baton Rouge (others may be also, there's just nothing on their Twitters to indicate one way or the other).

So are studio plants posting in the IMDB message boards really a thing, as in proven fact, or just an assumption?

I'd say Studios having some plants at various message boards is pretty much a given, though I can't say I've seen one actually proven myself.

Well if that's the way they feel, then as a consumer, the only thing I can do is avoid GotG this summer just as I did Thor 2, or any other cosmic angles they try to spin in the MCU. Never read or cared for those other characters, and the business those properties do will be a reflection amongst the audience that shares that indifference.

Who said they are indifferent?

Fact of the matter is they can't do anything while Fox or Sony continue to meet their contractual obligations. These deals are locked, whether Disney/Marvel like it or not. They did in fact try to get Galactus & the Surfer back in return for extending the Daredevil rights, but Fox declined thinking they could get a reboot DD film on the go in time, but got caught out when Slade walked on that one.

And remember they are not the consumer with these FF films, they are now effectively the competition. It would be poor business practice for Feige to big up the properties they simply cannot get back at this time in any way. Why do Fox & Sony's job for them?

If you have a beef with Marvel for this state of affairs, that's the Marvel of the early 90's that nearly went bust and had to make these deals to stay afloat. The current regime have been doing the best they can with what they have.

So far, I applaud their efforts and will continue to support them. Spiting the current Marvel for the flaws of the old is a bit silly imo.

You can call it silly or petty or whatever adjective you want, but a cosmic MCU without the FF is a non-starter for me. So that's that.

We'll find out in August. I am not actively rooting for a flop, but if it shows that the budget for GotG could have been better spent on acquiring a potentially more valuable property, then I'll be pissed. But Marvel is going to be fine in the near term either way.

I'd say Studios having some plants at various message boards is pretty much a given, though I can't say I've seen one actually proven myself.

Oh you've seen one on the last 2 go arounds, you just didn't know it....lol

We actually think we had a plant from another website the first movie and was banned early on for the 2nd. It was very interesting.

I think we are going to have a cool MCU cosmic setting with GotG and hopefully if successful they will spread to other cosmic characters. It sucks the FF are not there, but the whole Thanos/Annihilation storyline ROCKED. That could be done without the FF. It helps that Marvel has a rich diverse Universe it can dip into. if GotG does well it would not be long until we see Warlock, Mar-Vell, Earth's assigned Nova (I hope for Ryder but I'll even take Alexander at this point) Moondragon, StarFox, more Eternals, and who knows what else.

We actually think we had a plant from another website the first movie and was banned early on for the 2nd. It was very interesting.

I think I know who you mean...

Honestly would not be surprised if they move this thing to late 2015 considering how packed next summer is. I think Fox will change to a November or early 2016 release if they have any sensibility assuming they can contractually do that.

November 2015 has Bond 24, Mockingjay part 2, and The Good Dinosaur. March 2016 already has two Fox tentpoles scheduled.

November 2015 has Bond 24, Mockingjay part 2, and The Good Dinosaur. March 2016 already has two Fox tentpoles scheduled.

This movie just will not have enough clout to seize any weekend and the spots where this movie might make a little hay are gone.

This movie is going to be low/medium budget--not a must-see for many people and will make modest $ even if it's fairly good.

That is probably why they are treating it like a step-child.

Over the years there's been a few I've had suspicions about (cant remember their user names now), so that doesn't surprise me.

I stand corrected... Early August then? Just get out of the MCU sandwich for pete's sake. Then again, Fox has to do what they got to do, not my money.

You can call it silly or petty or whatever adjective you want, but a cosmic MCU without the FF is a non-starter for me. So that's that.

We'll find out in August. I am not actively rooting for a flop, but if it shows that the budget for GotG could have been better spent on acquiring a potentially more valuable property, then I'll be pissed. But Marvel is going to be fine in the near term either way.

I understand your frustration, beleive me. I don't like it myself as the FF would fit in so well with the MCU it's damned annoying we aint likely to see that for a very long time.

But at the end of the day business is business, shareholders have to be accounted to, and if the cost of getting the FF back is too high (you can bet Fox would want a huge figure for buying out that perpetuity contract) then I can understand why Marvel were willing to wait and see if Fox would either fold their hand (they have left it damn close to the wire) or will play out one that could end badly for them.

It sucks for those of us hoping the rights would revert, but I don't see much sense in taking that frustration out on Marvel. The guys running the show now aint the ones who made these deals.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration, beleive me. I don't like it myself as the FF would fit in so well with the MCU it's damned annoying we aint likely to see that for a very long time.

But at the end of the day business is business, shareholders have to be accounted to, and if the cost of getting the FF back is too high (you can bet Fox would want a huge figure for buying out that perpetuity contract) then I can understand why Marvel were willing to wait and see if Fox would either fold their hand (they have left it damn close to the wire) or will play out one that could end badly for them.

It sucks for those of us hoping the rights would revert, but I don't see much sense in taking that frustration out on Marvel. The guys running the show now aint the ones who made this deals.

And at the end of the day, your speculation is as good as mine, so we can toss around any hypothetical numbers that may have been tossed around board room meetings, but it's a moot point, because we don't know what the numbers were.

What I do know, is that Fox deems this a piece of **** CB property if they give this a less than 100 million dollar budget. If Marvel wants its name on that when the opening creds roll, then God help them too, while the fans see the FF get Ghost Ridered to Hell.

Last edited:
I stand corrected... Early August then? Just get out of the MCU sandwich for pete's sake. Then again, Fox has to do what they got to do, not my money.

Fox is distributing a film set for early August (Assassin's Creed). It's possible they could move that, but unless AC gets postponed again for development reasons or canceled, I'd imagine Fox would prioritize that one. It's got Michael Fassbender. Their June release date is no good, July would put it too close to an MCU film to realistically do anything (the general audience will be more excited for Ant-Man with Paul Rudd and Michael Daouglas and it's almost guaranteed to get a huge boost coming off the next Avengers film. Millions of fans will see that trailer), August is tricky, September isn't a big month for this sort of thing & it will see a major CG film the family audience would likely see over this, October is getting a Disney film and a big name horror sequel, November has even tougher competition than June (Bond, Peanuts, Hunger Games, and Pixar), and December has some little sci-fi film with a bit of a following.

Basically, if Fox was going to make a crappy movie anyway, they should have just done it when they were supposed to. Delaying this movie put them against steep competition they almost certainly won't keep up with, much less beat.

I don't see what the point of a plant is. Trolling people who don't want to see a movie isn't about to convince them to go see it. God knows that nothing Ant-Manic has said has made me stop and say "Hmm, you know what? Even though this movie sounds like a complete turd, this person I've never met and whose opinion holds no weight for me is a fan of the four actors they've cast, so I think I'm going to see it even though those actors themselves mean absolutely nothing to me as I've never seen them in anything." I'm not saying he's a plant, but that's hardly the most winning strategy.

I wonder, though, assuming there have been plants, what the reaction was when they reported back and said that the general consensus for the movie the studio was working on was that it'd be garbage and people wouldn't go see it.

I wonder if any fan anywhere would be interested in a FF movie that is minimalist? Even if they got the casting right and the ages and Doom etc---would fans want to see a low budget FF movie? And a movie featuring these characters with these powers at around $100 million would indeed be "low-budget".

isn't this a huge obstacle beyond all the other problems?

I think this could only be ever done right with a full on $180+ million budget anyway.

which sadly means even if they got certain things right they could never do right by the franchise anyway. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"