The Legend of Zelda. The Movie?

Totally agree, I actually think there's needs to be major tweaking of the Zelda story to make a good movie. Everything thinks since Lord of the Rings did so well, Zelda would too, however, what everyone doesn't get is Lord of the Rings had a major supporting cast, Zelda really has none, it's all just Link.

I do think Bioshock and Assassin's Creed could work though. Mainly because in Bioshock, you've got two supporting characters always present, Atlas/Fontaine and Andrew Ryan. You may not see them, but they're a constant presence. Plus the twist would really help the final act. Also it's not levels in the traditional gaming sense, you're moving through the world always getting closer to the goal, but not get here, fight boss, collect item, move to next lair.

Assassin's Creed also has the supporting cast that's always present and a much more engaging story that constantly unfolds as the game progresses. It also takes place in what would be a very vibrant city, so it won't feel so "lonely"

what about the Zorra and Goron race's not to mention the other Hylian's(Link's Race) from Kakariko Villiage(Link's Home)

not to Mention The Sages

there is plenty of side characters the difference with LOTR is frodo is not a warrior Link is

I dont think you need change the plot. The plot is simple and has been done many times but it works. And the characters are there. But other than the plot of Link trying to rescue princess Zelda, the rest of the story you have to make up. No it cant be about collecting stuff and beating bosses.

With right cast/writer/director I think a zelda film would do well. Also I agree with others we don't need to do major revamps to the story.

With a movie like this, you need a Hollywood heavyweight to move it forward.

A guy like Jackson, G. del Toro, Cameron, Spielberg,etc to head over to Nintendo and pitch it and make it worthwhile for Nintendo.

A Zelda movie can easily work - plenty of other fantasy movies have worked, just adapt them with the Zelda characters. The Princess Bride, Willow, LOTR, medieval-England movies, and dare I say it, The Sword in the Stone (which comes to mind only because it features a boy as the protagonist and there's a sword set in stone). :p

I'd prefer a slightly younger Link over an older one because it'd make the odds look more stacked against him, but of course regardless of his age he'd still be totally fearless and courageous, etc. A younger Link could also better convey just how fearless he is in battle.

I'm showing my age here when I say I played only the games up to ALTTP (don't really play games anymore) which I'd say has a good movie-adaptable plot. Boy with nightmares, runs off to the castle, meets uncle who says he has to save Zelda, and from there the quest begins including finding the Master Sword and using it to defeat Ganon. The dungeons and time-traveling of ALTTP could easily be ignored.

Other characters can easily be filled in by villagers, Ganon's minions (evil soldiers), monsters, etc. You could even have the buy-trade mechanism that's been a game staple. Of course no cheesy moves though like the whirling blade attack, but something else could be done like the sword whitening or flashing to deliver a more powerful stroke.

Should Link speak in the movie?

(does he in any of the games?)

Absolutely he should speak.

In the games, he doesn't 'speak' per say, but I've always thought the silent protagonist in RPJs or RPJ/Adventure genre is kinda outdated. This is coming from a Japanese RPG fan.

And I do have to say, I'm rooting for a film like Zelda because we don't have 'sweeping epic' movies anymore unless it's a Tolkein adaptation, Star Wars or even Harry Potter.

And I do have to say, I'm rooting for a film like Zelda because we don't have 'sweeping epic' movies anymore unless it's a Tolkein adaptation, Star Wars or even Harry Potter.

Yup, we defininetly need more of those. I want to be wowed more when I go to the theatre.

To be honest, the next 'sweeping epic' I can think of (That's not the Hobbit :p) is Disney's John Carter of Mars or maybe even TinTin (Indiana Jones style).

Zelda would need some serious overhauls because no one wants to see a movie play out like a videogame.

Even Nintendo said that the next 'Zelda' game will be the last of it's kind. Meaning that it'll get a major rehaul after 'Skyward Sword' to keep the series fresh and relevant.

But yeah, there a need to create strong supporting characters for Link to interact with, so that's is a given.

Even Nintendo said that the next 'Zelda' game will be the last of it's kind. Meaning that it'll get a major rehaul after 'Skyward Sword' to keep the series fresh and relevant.

But yeah, there a need to create strong supporting characters for Link to interact with, so that's is a given.
I hope "overhaul" doesn't mean Link running around shooting monsters with an over-the-should view. Yep I'm an oldschool Resident Evil fan.

the bottom line is to make a good movie with a good story. If Link is in a dungeon, make it feel like an adventure, not a chore. (Not saying that dungeons are chores, but watching them can be if you're not playing)

I do agree that it would be a challenge to make a Zelda movie the right way, with Link going through dungeons and forests almost entirely alone, but I think that could really serve the movie well and set it apart from The Lord of the Rings and other fantasy films. Make Link a bit of an arrogant loner; not to the point where he is unlikeable, but more of a "Batman with a sword" type who is so confident in his own abilities that he shrugs off the help of others, until eventually he realizes that it would serve everyone better if he just gave in and accepted the help of Zelda and the other characters.

I remember a comic based on A Link to the Past in Nintendo Power that was pretty good, way back in the day. Link was sort of portrayed this way... young and cocky (and not a particularly good fighter at the beginning) but as the story goes along he becomes stronger and more formidable. It wasn't the best comic I've ever read, but it was a decent story that could be used as the framework for a film.

I agree with you that it needs to make itself a distinctive fantasy film and not follow in the footstep of other failed epics/high fantasy films due to them trying to shoddily copy what Jackson accomplished with LOTR.

There are only five men who have made films that have completely succeeded in not making the adventure/traversing part of these fantasy films boring or uninteresting.

1. Peter Jackson (LOTR)
2. Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Devils Backbone)
3. Wolfgang Petersen (The Neverending Story)
4. Frank Oz/Jim Hensen (Dark Crystal)

All talented men who made beautiful fantasy films that were engaging in every sense.

Whoever they pick needs to have the same quality that all five of these men share and that is being able to perfectly translate what they are aiming for in terms of magic and scope fluently across to the audience.

I'm completely against the idea though of Link being arrogant in any way. I've always felt the shy but courageous approach was always the best. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time showed this in spades.

Does a Zelda move necessary have to be live action movie? Personally I think not. Imagine Dreamworks working on this. Make a triology, Ocarina of time, majora's mask, then twilight princess.

I agree with Matt. Ur gonna have to restructure some things. Hell Link's character doesnt seem to have any pivital characteristics at all to create a dynamite character suitable for a movie adaptation. He just emotionless? just stands there and stares off as everyone interacts with him. You're gonna have to create Link urself. Watching a movie where a kid just travels point to point no dialogue wat so ever from will be yes boring. But I know thats how they made the game, he talks, but u never know what the bastard says. Pretty much it's all interpretation

Really?

Any ideas into what it may mean?

like some one said lotr was a kid trying to bring a ring to a mountain and destroy it simple right but they surrounded that mission with a great all around story.

same thing needs to happen with zelda

what everyone doesn't get is Lord of the Rings had a major supporting cast, Zelda really has none, it's all just Link.

I don't see the issue. For one, you can't compare the stories of each. They are completely and utterly different. Secondly, Zelda does have supporting cast in the games that can easily be expanded upon. Third, look at Never Ending Story. The majority of that movie is one dude wandering around on his own with just a horse. Granted, I hated that movie, but the point remains - Zelda can work. The amount of characters has nothing to do with it.

^ i agree you cant compare lotr to zelda for this reason

- Frodo is no a warrior he is a weak scared kid movies have actual warriors do all the fighting

- Link is warrior who has a damn horse/shield/armor/swords/arrows/etc.

i feel the goron's and the zorra race are enough side characters

not to mention the fairy who is with link

Last edited:
and i'd be very surprised if they didn't include side stories focusing on Zelda and Ganandorf to fill in the over all plot.

not to mention the games also have all those Sages
The Seven Sages are a group from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Powerful allies of Link, they help seal Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm.The sages who give Link the Six Medallions each represent the six races in Hyrule: Hylian, Kokiri, Goron, Zora,Sheikah and Gerudo
Zelda - Leader of The Sages

Rauru, Sage of Light - Hylian

Saria, Sage of Forest - Kokiri

Darunia, Sage of Fire - Goron

Princess Ruto, Sage of Water - Zora

Impa, Sage of Shadow - Sheikah

Nabooru, Sage of Spirit - Gerudo

so people cant tell me there is'nt enough side characters

Really?

Any ideas into what it may mean?

I believe that it meant that they are aware that they have been using the same general gameplay format for the console Zelda's since Ocarina of Time​ and know it's time to switch things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"