The Lion King

I've never liked the Lion King. Personal taste, I guess, but I just didn't like it much. As far as Disney goes, I think Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best.

Overall, I'd say Iron Giant is the best. My favorite by far, though, is Steamboy.
steamboy_02.jpg

url

steamboy_05.jpg

Movies205 said:
I'm a lover of film, film is a visual art, name me another animated movie that conveys the emotion and story through it's visuals as well as Lion King, this is why I consider it one of the best, it goes beyond the simple bits. Disney is known for it simple stories but it's there animation that I love them.

Totoro goes beyond simple bits story. The lion King is far from a complex movie, from animation to story. It used current animation, without risks, just with a higher budget. What's extraordinary with that ?

Studio ghibli are able to do just as good (better, imo) visually (watch mononoke) without even half the budget and the people disney have.

And the lion king does not go beyond the simple bits. It is extremely simple. Angel's egg is a far more complicated movie, that INDEED goes beyond the simple bits. Totoro has the dept the lion king could never wish to have. Le roi et l'oiseau has the art design lion king will never have. Heck, any Ghibli movies put to shame the Lion king's design (which, of course, where all rippoff, heh). Howl's moving castle is more incredible as far as animation goes than the Lion king. And it uses in a more complex way the animation medium.

Just realised many people might not know what Le roi et l'oiseau is.

The name in english is (just looked for it on imdb) The King and the Mockingbird. It's a daring french animated movie made in 1952 (that was later re-released longer in 1980). For people who have played Ico on the ps2, that's what it might remind some of you as far as the castle design goes. It's actually one of the great inspiration for Miyazaki and Takahata, and one of the greatest animated masterpieces ever created.

Look for it. ;)

When it comes to animation and visual style, I think Katsuhiro Otomo's films are the best. Akira, Metropolis, the aforementioned Steamboy, all are visually astounding.

Edit: Though I just looked up Le roi et l'oiseau and it is also very good.

I must say lion king is a great movie. As for disney movies, not saying its the best but I like aladdin. Its my favorite disney movie.

Im not sure if this counts but I love, I mean I love nightmare before christmas. Classic!!! Great movie!!!!!

This is one of my favorite animated movies, not the best though, IMO.

I liked the Lion King, but in the end, as has already been said, it's Hamlet just with lions.

Leto Atrides said:
I've never liked the Lion King. Personal taste, I guess, but I just didn't like it much. As far as Disney goes, I think Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best.

Overall, I'd say Iron Giant is the best. My favorite by far, though, is Steamboy.
steamboy_02.jpg

url

steamboy_05.jpg

it's EASILY the prettiest to look at. too bad the script doesn't have the same impact as the animation.

TheSaintofKillers said:
Totoro goes beyond simple bits story. The lion King is far from a complex movie, from animation to story. It used current animation, without risks, just with a higher budget. What's extraordinary with that ?

Studio ghibli are able to do just as good (better, imo) visually (watch mononoke) without even half the budget and the people disney have.

And the lion king does not go beyond the simple bits. It is extremely simple. Angel's egg is a far more complicated movie, that INDEED goes beyond the simple bits. Totoro has the dept the lion king could never wish to have. Le roi et l'oiseau has the art design lion king will never have. Heck, any Ghibli movies put to shame the Lion king's design (which, of course, where all rippoff, heh). Howl's moving castle is more incredible as far as animation goes than the Lion king. And it uses in a more complex way the animation medium.

First point the post wasn't directed toward you but none the less, I'll put up our usual sparring match as these things go, Saint.

I judge movies for what they are, look at Ralph Bakshi films nearly all push the limits in terms of animation, he's a pioneer in film, but none of them are any good they all are just highly entertaining failures from Wizard to even AMerican Pop. Art is and forever is, expression, everything is inspired by something else, the Lion King is a beautiful film and because it didn't design some new techique, like many disney films have, does not hinder it, it simply a simple story. The problem with our current generation is that people seem to mistake simple or something that's not deep as not good, stuff should be taken as it's meant to be taken. Sometimes the simplest of stories have the best impact. But I find it funny you bring up Howl's Moving Castle which is a beautiful movie as are all Studio Gibli films but it's story has many faults and is a convoluted mess, it still a good movie but it's not great. So far your biggest complaint is that your favorite animated mvoies don't get the attention they deserved and Lion King didn't push the limits but it's a perfectly crafted film. And to those who say it's just Hamlet with Lions, a similar remark could be said about Shakesphere, his stories are not amazing, but it's his beautiful language which makes him popular, just like Lion King uses it's visuals. But with all that said, would I take Spirited Away over Lion King, and the answer is a definate yes.

Movies205 said:
First point the post wasn't directed toward you but none the less, I'll put up our usual sparring match as these things go, Saint.

I judge movies for what they are, look at Ralph Bakshi films nearly all push the limits in terms of animation, he's a pioneer in film, but none of them are any good they all are just highly entertaining failures from Wizard to even AMerican Pop. Art is and forever is, expression, everything is inspired by something else, the Lion King is a beautiful film and because it didn't design some new techique, like many disney films have, does not hinder it, it simply a simple story. The problem with our current generation is that people seem to mistake simple or something that's not deep as not good, stuff should be taken as it's meant to be taken. Sometimes the simplest of stories have the best impact. But I find it funny you bring up Howl's Moving Castle which is a beautiful movie as are all Studio Gibli films but it's story has many faults and is a convoluted mess, it still a good movie but it's not great. So far your biggest complaint is that your favorite animated mvoies don't get the attention they deserved and Lion King didn't push the limits but it's a perfectly crafted film. And to those who say it's just Hamlet with Lions, a similar remark could be said about Shakesphere, his stories are not amazing, but it's his beautiful language which makes him popular, just like Lion King uses it's visuals. But with all that said, would I take Spirited Away over Lion King, and the answer is a definate yes.

I'll get back to you later on, I have to go. But I agree on Howl's moving castle, though. I love the movie, and visually it's beyond the lion king and many movies (actuallly, beyond nearly all animated movies, imo) but for a miyazaki movie, the narrative was a bit off, especially the end.

And as for Bakshi, his Fire and Ice is one of the great animated action film out there, imo. ;)

JackBauer said:
it's EASILY the prettiest to look at. too bad the script doesn't have the same impact as the animation.

It's my favorite, and I think the best visually, but I'll admit it's not the best overall.

TheSaintofKillers said:
I'll get back to you later on, I have to go. But I agree on Howl's moving castle, though. I love the movie, and visually it's beyond the lion king and many movies (actuallly, beyond nearly all animated movies, imo) but for a miyazaki movie, the narrative was a bit off, especially the end.

And as for Bakshi, his Fire and Ice is one of the great animated action film out there, imo. ;)

Again I'm a big Bakshi fan because I love how he takes animation to the limit, I've yet to see though Coonskin, Heavy Traffic, and hey Good Looking. But with all his films it's just a couple of points away from being good, for example Fritz the Cat I Dug but the character never reaches his zenieth and the way it just meanders around is just meh. Fire and Ice I wasn't a big fan of it, just felt so bland, like the characters felt cheezy and I couldn't feel for them at all. That's what I liked about Wizards, good characters :up: Don't get me wrong I don't think Lion King is the best animated pictures but it's one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"