The Loki/Tom Hiddleston Thread. We need Loki-Love. - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I liked it. Not only did it suggest that Loki is something of a pragmatist that knows when he's beat, rather than going down fighting (he lacks conviction, as Coulson says), it's also something of an olive-branch, which on a very early level might set the stage for his rehabilitation in future films.

2. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

On a lighter, and more Loki-related, note: Do you think he'll have a major role in Thor 2?

He's clearly going to be in it, but will it be just a cameo or will he be the main baddie again. I think after two movies of Loki wickedness they may want to try something new, but Hiddleston is so good and entertaining the role, I don't know if they will. I could see them merely introducing Enchantress as a likeminded character who is in love with Loki and breaks him out of whatever prison Odin puts him in. Cue Loki's Revenge...again. Perhaps, he'll bring Jane to Asgard and that's how they'll get her in the movie without having to spend much time on Earth. One can hope.

3. Drummerdude7

Drummerdude7 AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

They're definitely going to keep him a little more sidelined and choose a new main baddie...though I definitely see the implications and consequences of Loki's actions affecting him and Asgard in Thor 2...especially since the Other warned him of what would happen if he failed.

4. Nathan

Nathan ...

I hope Loki starts out as the main baddie again, but screws up in such a big way, that realizes he has to help stop whatever it is he unleashed.

5. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

"Subtle" is not the word I would use about Hiddelston's performance as Loki, nor would I begin to call it "layered". The reason his performance works at all is because he embraces over the top elements. There's not a lot of subtlety and nuance to it, though there is some. Most of his emotions are very broad in this film.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. Drummerdude7

Agreed. If anything his portrayal in Thor was more subtle. Avengers has him in full on arrogant "I'm better than all of you" mode. His pride, jealousy and resentment has all gone to his head....and then he gets brought back down to earth in more ways than one after having his ass handed to him.

7. Mr.?

Mr.? Well-Known Member

I like this. Maybe
    Thanos
    sends an army to help Loki take over Asgard and get the tesseract.

8. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I know everyone's all excited about Thanos, but let's keep him relatively behind the scenes until he shows up in Avengers 2 or 3.

Thanos isn't really a Thor villain and by making him the villain in THOR II, they would be short changing actual Thor villains.

9. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Realize this is a question coming from a non-comic reader...
    How much would Thanos be willing to trust Loki after Loki failed to get him the Tesseract/his failure on Earth? Would he really want to help Loki take over Asgard in that scenario? Or would he want to punish him (like The Other said he would) instead?

10. parkerpete

parkerpete Well-Known Member

Some a**holes are more full of **** than others.

An appropriate comparison. I understand why some people don't like DK or think it has been massively overrated. The movie has its flaws and there are certain things (monologues that underline the themes too heavily, Bale's growly voice, Joker's inexplicable ability to fill Police ferries with hundreds of drums of gasoline IN THE MIDST OF A TERRORIST/BOMB SCARE CRISIS, and don't even get me STARTED on Harvey's ability to walk around and do shots of whiskey without dying of shock) that you're either going to go with or not.

But Ledger's performance is certainly competitive with Waltz and Bardem's villain roles, even if you don't put him at the top. And I would say he is superior to them in the sense that he seemed to completely disappear into that character's voice and mannerisms. No one would know that was the same guy from 'Broke Back Mountain' if they weren't told. DK was a massive production featuring some of the finest actors working today, and he utterly dominated the movie.

This doesn't detract one iota from Hiddleston's great turn as Loki, but I think there needs to be some perspective. 'Avengers' is mostly about the heroes and their evolution into a team. Loki is great fun but he isn't essential to the narrative in the same way as Joker is to DK, and as a result, I don't think the performance is quite as demanding.

Plus, think about how bad Nolan is at humor and how much Ledger managed to add unscripted... Like when he's looking for Harvey Dent among the fundraiser guests, and he grabs the one guest's head and turns it, like he's looking right through it, and says, 'no.' Totally improvised, completely electric.

11. Silvermoon

A couple ABC News videos with Tom (don't think they've been posted) - 2nd video has a Yoda impression and a song:

[YT]NDmk0iQk7d8[/YT]
    [YT]ad24d13ZZI4[/YT]

12. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Honestly thought, the thing that I wonder is, can the MCU version of Loki really find redemption like Tom has been mentioning in his interviews in regards to future storylines that he'd like to see Loki go through?

The person has been shown being capable of killing anyone or anything mercilessly, with delight I might add, so it's hard at times to think that Loki could ever find redemption in this version.

BUT, then again, I guess if the likes of Anakin Skywalker and BW (as her bloody past was hinted in the film) can turn around, then I guess I shouldn't entirely quit on Loki just yet huh?lol

13. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Considering he's quite insane at this point (although looked a bit better at the end of Avengers);

1. He's already unbalanced due to his parental truth being outed in Thor
    2. I think he's mentally manipulated by the Staff in Avengers
    3. I think he was cracking under the pressure of the mission, and repercussions if he failed.

I think take that away (eventually) and he could find redemption, yes. Of course, I wouldn't mind his redemption ending up being a self-serving trick!!!

14. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

I think you might be right. Remember how aggressive Bruce Banner was acting when he was holding it?

15. Scarlettess

Scarlettess and a 1..2..3..4

I had another dream last night involving Loki. It was awesome(and confusing but eh..)! He was trying to blow up a theatre or something....don't exactly remember, only there were a few that were there that he despised, and me and some 'others', Sif was there, I can't remember who else. Apparantly I had a daughter (apparently called Anne Marie) who he was in love with....WHAT? and I was in love with him. Anyway me and some 'others' (Sif was there....I can't remember who else) managed to convince him to not blow up the theatre and come and watch it with us. he hugged me and pecked me on my cheek....then when we went in the theatre we were shuffling through these people and Loki was like telling them to move or be beheaded, and I was like 'just come and sit'. :funny: then I don't remember the rest....I remember him saying a remark at the end of the show, something funny like he didn't know humans were so capable or such entertainment or something then I might have woken up....

yes i have wierd dreams....lol.

edit: gonig to see avengers for the 2nd time in a bit, can't wait to see Loki on screen again. :woot:

16. Silvermoon

*Slowly backs away from Scarlettess*:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz:

I think me and my mom will be seeing it a 3rd time this weekend (both of us don't know if we can wait till June - when my sister moves home - to see it again *lol*)

17. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

To me, it seems like the clear way to move forward is to give Loki a redemptive arc. We've seen a film of him turning bad. We've seen a film of him BEING bad. I think the next place to go with the character is him becoming good(ish) again, perhaps teaming up with Thor to take on a greater threat, Surtur perhaps.

Tom Hiddleston has said that the questioning of whether or not Loki is beyond saving is one that interests him moving forward into the sequels. And the idea that there's still some good in him somewhere was pretty heavily foreshadowed in The Avengers. And it would give him something to do without retreading old ground.

18. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

He'll have more than a cameo for sure...but he'll be sidelined for the most part to make way for another villain.

19. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that the Mind (blue) Infinity Gem is what powered his new staff?

Or has that already been talked about to death? lol.

20. Drummerdude7

It has not been confirmed, but I was a major speculator of that theory.

I've said it in other threads: until MS shows me otherwise, that is the mind gem in his staff, no question.

21. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd have to agree, especially since it was hinted during the movie that there was a greater force behind Loki. We all know that to be true now because of the credits scene.

22. MarvelKnight

MarvelKnight Well-Known Member

Definitely, as soon as I saw the promo poster with loki and his staff, I immediately posted a picture of the infinity gems and brought it up. I too believe it's the mind gem until other wise stated. and tehy didn't nothing but strengthen that fact when they showed you know who mid-credits

23. Scarlettess

Scarlettess and a 1..2..3..4

yeah when the pics first released of Loki with that staff the speculation was going round....but then the infinity gauntlet is in Odin's vault right? of course its not out of the question that either the infinity gauntlet was missing this to start with....or somehow Loki broke in and got it...I believe its the former though as the latter wouldnt really make much sense since who gives Loki that staff. Also I noticed just getting back, when he's telling the people to kneel and bangs his staff i swear an almost blue circle appears....like its from the staff. plus the whole
    controlling hawkeye and the others as well as possibly banner on the helicarrier would make sense. and the speculation that Thanos had some manipulation over Loki as well. With what the Other
    said to Loki though makes me think that in Thor 2, something related to that will definately happen, Loki will I guess be trying to run and Thor would have to save him, in turn them both working together to defeat them, hinting at a possible redemption for Loki, and save that for Thor 3 when they go against Surtur.

24. EternalMaster

EternalMaster Well-Known Member

If it is truly the Mind Gem, why did Loki need to touch people's hearts with the staff to control them? The need to touch the heart was not arbitrary because Tony mechanical heart prevented control.

Barton later described the possession as being pulled out of his body and having something else stuffed in.

None of this sounds like the Mind Gem, which would simply enhance the user's own power. Loki wasn't even in possession of the staff when it was causing the Avengers to quarrel with each other.

If it IS the Mind Gem, then the movies have changed a LOT about it.

25. Mr. Immortal

Mr. Immortal Homo s. supreme

Which is probably for the best... if we're talking about a threat that the Big Four and some change can handle it's likely better that they tone down the gems a bit.