The Lounge Does Not Change; We Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is indeed. I just read the 80th anniversary issue this evening.
giphy.gif

One of the greats of comics I always wished I'd met.

We need voices like his now more than ever.

For context, this is the last page of Green Lantern/Green Arrow content Denny left us with:
Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular (2020) 001-035.jpg

A perfect bookend to his original Green Lantern/Green Arrow debut, imo, where Hal helps Ollie in the same way Ollie once helped him - to get some much needed perspective.

For context, this is the last page of Green Lantern/Green Arrow content Denny left us with:

A perfect bookend to his original Green Lantern/Green Arrow debut, imo, where Hal helps Ollie in the same way Ollie once helped him - to get some much needed perspective.

He delineated the characters he handled so well but had, a "modern" voice for his time. Interviews with him are always a treat. The early and middle DC DTVs often had extras with talking heads going on about comic origins of whatever the DTV was about and Denny laid out some real wisdom bombs about these characters.

And of course, Denny was kinda like comic book Roger Corman. He influenced so many other talents that came up under him as an editor.

I also loved that he always admitted that, despite feeling he was a feminist, his approach to Wonder Woman was not a good fit and that he made a mistake depowering her.

That's only because you are the master of the Ice Jackals.
Yes, but that’s not the only reason. I am master of many species outside of the more well known 15 sub species of jackals. :up::cool:

Denny O’Neil’s very basic premise of “How about we try doing these characters with a little less camp?” Pretty much revolutionised the industry.

Denny O’Neil’s very basic premise of “How about we try doing these characters with a little less camp?” Pretty much revolutionised the industry.
I wonder how popular Batman would be today if he was never taken in this direction. I know the Adam West show did very well but I don’t know if films in that style would have reached the same heights.

I mustve missed something.

I wonder how popular Batman would be today if he was never taken in this direction. I know the Adam West show did very well but I don’t know if films in that style would have reached the same heights.
The whole franchise would probably be a lot more niche.

Does Reek have Devito level hair and body mass? That feels more my thing.

But then... Greens IS Danny Devito.

Tis' a conundrum.

I thought of that, but Greens isn't here.... probably.

If we're using that clip as a summary of the last lounge, you'd be Dennis. So... take it as a compliment.

The whole franchise would probably be a lot more niche.

The level of penetration the West show had was crazy in the culture.

Also crazy, if memory serves, the Bat books were circling cancelation before West and then again after and that's why Denny/Adams were given the green light to go a bit deeper.

That run was before my time but when I think of Batman, I think of Denny's version which carried over for a very, very long time.

The level of penetration the West show had was crazy in the culture.

Also crazy, if memory serves, the Bat books were circling cancelation before West and then again after and that's why Denny/Adams were given the green light to go a bit deeper.

That run was before my time but when I think of Batman, I think of Denny's version which carried over for a very, very long time.

The closest comparison I can think of elsewhere is Peter David with the Hulk. Similar deal in that the tv adaptation was such an influence on the culture that the aftermath of it kind of left a vacuum of power that the respective writers would eventually fill to revitalise.

The closest comparison I can think of elsewhere is Peter David with the Hulk. Similar deal in that the tv adaptation was such an influence on the culture that the aftermath of it kind of left a vacuum of power that the respective writers would eventually fill to revitalise.

There is a thesis paper in here somewhere.

Finally getting out of Manhattan.

Stayed late cuz my relief is alone here until a porter comes and there was this strange guy circling the front doors for some reason. He... Didn't look right.

Norma, my relief would have nobody else and frankly in NYC right now calling police is a crap shoot at best.

These last five months... If I wasn't already doing the PatStew thing all this nonsense would be turning what's left of my hair white.

Finally getting out of Manhattan.

Stayed late cuz my relief is alone here until a porter comes and there was this strange guy circling the front doors for some reason. He... Didn't look right.

Norma, my relief would have nobody else and frankly in NYC right now calling police is a crap shoot at best.

These last five months... If I wasn't already doing the PatStew thing all this nonsense would be turning what's left of my hair white.

Hey, PatStew is a very distinguished looking man. Rock it.

Hey, PatStew is a very distinguished looking man. Rock it.

I seethe in envy of your flowing locks...

Actually I accepted the hair loss long ago. Buzz it down to nothing once/twice a week. Worn hats since I was in high school so I guess most think I haven't changed much... But I know.

I've started to notice my hair thinning around my hairline. So far, screaming at it and calling it a pile of **** hasn't prompted my hair to grow back.

3cf51cb23a51969107c1389b3e0b4bb1.jpg

When you claim all you eat is plant based but somebody sees you with a double quarter pounder with cheese. :o

It is indeed. I just read the 80th anniversary issue this evening.
Speaking of Dennis ‘O Neil, I highly suggest everyone watch this video tribute to his work.

I had no idea it was ‘O Neil who not only brought Tony Stark’s alcoholism back to the table but also was the one to make Rhodey Iron Man for awhile. Holy crap, the more you know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"