Iron Man 3 The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it. I love it even more knowing that the fans hate it. The general movie going public seems to not be bothered by it. 1 billion+ worldwide. This is a first day home video release for me.

Maybe I'm insensitive, but that in itself doesn't strike me as crossing a line. Granted, they would've had to have been careful, but I just can't help but feel that as long as they didn't engage in blatant stereotyping that they could've gotten away with keeping the character Chinese.

It kind of sounds like the Europeans complaining about a villain named after one of their noble titles. No one would blink at a bad guy named the Baron who was German for example. It actually not even that mandarin's are part of a past the present Govt doesn't even like so it should be no big deal. ( unless they made him too cool , I guess)

Last edited:
I love it. I love it even more knowing that the fans hate it. The general movie going public seems to not be bothered by it. 1 billion+ worldwide. This is a first day home video release for me.

It wouldn't break the movie for me if I didn't hate the rest of the film so much. Everything just personally hit me the wrong way. I know the GA had no problems but for me it was almost a play by play what I didn't want in the movie. Only MCU film I never plan to own.

Shane Black is that you? You gotta get that on a T-shirt.

"IM3...I...I did that." :awesome:

IM3 is the Nightmare On Elm Street 4 of the MCU.

Nightmare 3 is generally regarded to be a high quality film and as a result, its followup was the biggest box office success of the film series if I'm remembering correctly. "Oh man...Nightmare 3 was awesome...we GOTTA see Nightmare 4!!"

But have you ever seen that film? Train wreck.

Same here IMO.

IM3 was huge because it was the only new Iron Man film we had. If the version I and a lot of people had wanted had somehow been made and released at the same time and people had the choice, I strongly believe that the more serious, action-oriented, let's say Favreau-ish (read: Iron Man-ish), one would have done even better than the film we got.

IM3 was huge because it was the only new Iron Man film we had. If the version I and a lot of people had wanted had somehow been made and released at the same time and people had the choice, I strongly believe that the more serious, action-oriented, let's say Favreau-ish (read: Iron Man-ish), one would have done even better than the film we got.

I completely agree. So many people seem to be defending this mess of a movie out of devotion to the previous Iron Man movies. It's as if they've lost objectivity or never had any to begin with.

Yup, you caught us. We're brainless, spineless idiots who like everything marvel has ever put out.

nBjhM.gif

I know it's not a popular position to take but I felt that making Killian The Mandarin was fairly brilliant for a number of reasons.

1. The Mandarin is a master of disguise. Nobody would have ever expected him to actually be a white guy. It actually fits since the audience is as in the dark as Tony about his real identity.

2. Everything about the Mandarin is a lie. His entire past is made up in the comics for the sake of making himself look cooler. Creating a false Mandarin to cover up for Guy Pearce was brilliant when you consider that the Mandarin in the comics is a pathological liar with a fabricated persona who's real name has never been disclosed.

3. I still don't believe he's dead. One hit from Pepper isn't going to take down The Mandarin. Knock him out? Probably, but he's not dead yet. I can see Thanos or one of his lieutenants give him ten special rings to grant him all the powers from the comics. That and AIM is still needed for Ant-Man. That or he'll stumble across a crashed ship full of Brood, slays them all and steals their rings and lies that it was a "great noble battle against evil alien invaders."

4. Red Scare villains don't work anymore. When you consider that the Chinese are a valuable American trading partner, Silver Age Mandarin isn't really scary anymore, he's a relic. Killian is far more like the current incarnation.

5. At least he's not the green-skinned yellow peril character from the 90s cartoon. That's probably what people were hoping for but that's the perfect mix of offensive and stupid to have alienated everyone other than diehard fans.

So Iron Man 3 is the new Spider-Man 3?

Ha!

That's a pretty fair comparison actually. A goofy mess that serves as an ugly stain on an otherwise outstanding franchise. IM3 may not be the worst comic book movie ever (or even close to it) but it's definitely the worst from Marvel and a gigantic step in the wrong direction.

... And really, the Mandarin's portrayal was the least of this movie's problems. :csad:

Last edited:

Yeah, the general public seems to love Justin Bieber and McDonalds too. Popularity doesn't, and has never, been a sole determinant of quality.

After this **** and 1 billion+ worldwide thing I wonder why they can't make a decent sequel for incredible hulk ?

That's a pretty fair comparison actually. A goofy mess that serves as an ugly stain on an otherwise outstanding franchise. IM3 may not be the worst comic book movie ever (or even close to it) but it's definitely the worst from Marvel and a gigantic step in the wrong direction.

... And really, the Mandarin's portrayal was the least of this movie's problems. :csad:
Have you seen Iron Man 2? :huh:

So Iron Man 3 is the new Spider-Man 3?

Ha!

Hardly. I hated Mandarin, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the same. Not enough development where it was needed is what hurt Mandarin.

Do ya think maybe if they got an actual Asian actor in the place of Pierce,it would've gone a long way towards soothing the "I'm The Mandarin!" burn at the end?

Is this the same general movie going public that gave Transformers Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693 so a sequel was greenlighted?

Have you seen Iron Man 2? :huh:

I thought the same.

Do ya think maybe if they got an actual Asian actor in the place of Pierce,it would've gone a long way towards soothing the "I'm The Mandarin!" burn at the end?

No. He was still a bad character.

They should have cast Benedict Cumberbatch. Everyone would have defended him playing an Asian.

I love Spidey 3 and Iron Man 3. :awesome:

I completely agree. So many people seem to be defending this mess of a movie out of devotion to the previous Iron Man movies. It's as if they've lost objectivity or never had any to begin with.

So.....people are not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours unless they have a problem with their thinking huh.....nice attitude.

Yeah: it reveals that some heroes have notoriously crappy rogues' galleries. This is not something out of left field; Iron Man's villains have been the butt of comic-book fandom jokes for decades. Even by Stan the Man himself. So has Hulk's. So has Wonder Woman's. So has a lot of major heroes' villain rosters. It's just the nature of comic book writing, and it in no way undermines the heroes themselves. Everybody still loves Iron Man, Hulk, Wonder Woman and anybody else; but they're not judged on the quality (or lack thereof) of their villains.

And in case anybody missed it, that last sentence is one of the major themes of IM3, and exactly what Shane Black was trying to say.

Well, I disagree Iron man's rogue's gallery is just great. If the exact same characters were Batman's they would be applauded IMO. It kind of a tiring and frankly unimaginative point/theme also IMO. The only hero I could even begin to really agree with is the Flash's and even they might be workable with a hero who couldn't snatch all their handheld weapons from them in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying there are no bad villains but there are far fewer than people make there out to be.

Well, for me Shane Black failed on a level I have never seen him fail before. SM3 was way way less disappointing for me. I was actually excited he was going to be writing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"