The marketing for this film...

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by Mr. Dent, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Is basically non-existant. Mangold just now realized he could post BTS pics on twitter to hype the film a bit after seeing what Webb and Singer are doing. Other than that, we've seen absolutely nothing on this besides 5 or 6 pics of Wolverine shirtless or with a suit on. I don't think anyone knows this film even exists. I feel like Fox is just putting this out to keep the rights since they couldn't get DOFP out this year and it will end up being extremely undermarketed.

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Well they also released teaser posters but yeah so far, the marketing of this film is slow. But I doubt FOX is releasing this movie just for the sake of keeping the rights.

3. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Wait a month, they will hammer this flick into your brain by the time of its release.

4. CoolCadaver49

CoolCadaver49 Not a Hero...

Well when is it supposed to come out?

5. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

We're supposed to be "inundated" with promos this month. Relax.

6. TheJusticeLease

TheJusticeLease Active Member

Hey guys! I reckon Fox must be pretty swamped with all those other movies they're doing...so maybe we should just market this film ourselves? Maybe we can all post about the movie on Facebook to get the word out there. Also, my mate works at an office with a really good photocopier/printer...maybe I can print out some promo material and do a poster run on the weekend some time.

Anyone else keen to help Fox out?

7. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

It's Wolverine with Hugh Jackman, they aren't going to have to do too much heavy lifting to get asses in the seats. Calm down.

8. TheJusticeLease

TheJusticeLease Active Member

Mine was not a serious post.

9. psylockolussus

Right now, I'm happy that the hype for this movie is picking up!

Hopefully the trailer will really attract a lot of people so the opening weekend numbers of this movie will be better than First Class.

10. Superhero 101

I don't think this movie will be big at the box office I see it doing between 200-300ww

11. psylockolussus

3D will definitely boost the box-office earnings of this movie.

12. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

you were saying mr.dent lol

4 posters(2 turning into motion posters,19 officially released studio pics,constant magazine coverage,trailer out in 2 days lol

13. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I think this way of doing things is purposeful. I expect it's to suddenly jump on IM3.

14. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

It took a whole month lol. But yes, it's here now finally.

15. psylockolussus

And we already have a couple of posters for the movie. Origins didn't have a lot of posters so hopefully this is a sign that they are trying to improve their marketing skills.

16. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

Origins did not do well at all in the theaters domestically. They better get off their arses and get to work marketing this thing to remind audiences that a) it might not suck and b) it will be better than the last go round. A trailer a couple of months before the movie is released is pathetic. No teasers, no nothing.

17. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

A bit hyperbolic. Origins did fairly well in the US, considering how bad it is, and The Wolverine still has almost four months until it's released, with plenty of opportunities to shove adverts down our throats. But, you're right, those adverts need to deliver.

18. danoyse

Since The Wolverine is coming out at the end of July, we'll likely see trailers (more are supposed to be coming) in front of Iron Man 3, Star Trek, Man of Steel, Fast and the Furious 6, and every other big, loud action movie coming out between now and then that a lot of people are going to see, so I don't think the audience they're going for will not know it's coming. And if their theaters are like mine, they've got posters in the lobby already too.

Whether or not they see the movie is another thing, but they do have plenty of places to promote it coming up.

19. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

20. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

It did not do well at all in the US. It made $20 something million over it's bloated budget. It was just like X3...didn't really do that well US. X1 and X2 made 2x it's budget domestic. Poor First Class was saved by the overseas numbers.

Also, I am not a fan at all of these posters. Wolverine screaming with his mouth open and angry eyebrows has been done 80x over. Lets see some good posters, great trailers, and some tv spots before May is out. They should have had a teaser trailer in December.

21. psylockolussus

Yeah they should have had a teaser trailer in December, but times have changed just like how Blu-rays/DVDs of theatrical films come out earlier.

Its not only The Wolverine that released a trailer 4 to 5 months before the release date. The Hangover Part III is coming out before The Wolverine and I don't think there's a trailer for that movie yet.

22. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

Cool...

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2013/4/5/4188568/trey-burke-gets-endorsement-from-hugh-jackman

23. psylockolussus

So last Wednesday, I went to a theater and I watched G.I. Joe and I saw a poster of The Wolverine at the mall! But i didn't see the trailer when I watched G.I. Joe :(.

24. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Do you think they'll have a trailer at Thor 2/IM3?

25. danoyse

It will probably be out on DVD by the time Thor 2 gets here, but I'm betting we'll see it with Iron Man 3.