Marvel Films The Marvel Studios News and Discussion Thread

• 01.jpg

Officially announced. It’s quite a shocker, Chapek must have burned too many bridges, too quickly and too deep, his contract was renewed not long ago. Like Caesar got ambushed and stabbed by a group of grumpy senators all of a sudden.

It’s quite likely Chapek was fired on the spot, only one generic thank in the release, and no mentioning yet if he will keep any formal or informal tie with the company.

Last edited:
I wonder what this means for Marvel and Disney+? I’m not sure who was pushing for what between Chapek and Feige, but I hope they focus more on quality instead of quantity moving forward. I also wonder if they’ll rethink the 45 day release window from theaters to streaming?

Last edited:
I think the news of the budget cuts and layoffs combined with rising costs of Disney+ must have been the final straw for the BOD.

Bob Iger Returns as Hero in Waiting to Save a Battered Disney — The Hollywood Reporter

One industry source says the Disney board had been divided over keeping Chapek in place for the past several months. His performance on the most recent earnings call earlier this month, according to this account, was the deciding factor. While Chapek alluded to the need for cost-savings during the call, it wasn’t until later that week that he outlined dramatic plans to cut costs, including a hiring freeze and likely layoffs.

Stock price is up 8%+ pre-market

I'm not really familiar with how businesses like this run. What kind of impact might this change have on Marvel specifically? Will it mostly just be things like internal policies for things like budgets, hiring, etc. that will affect content indirectly but will be hard to quantify from the outside? Or could this change have a more immediate or direct effect on things like the amount of output for Marvel, spread between theatrical and streaming, production and platform of mature content, allowance for animated media (which recently saw many lay offs and non-renewals under Chapek), or even content itself such as LGBT content within movies?

Last edited:
Nothing currently past pre-production will change. Plus Iger has faith that Feige knows what he’s doing. Most likely, Iger will focus on fixing the parks first from what I’ve read has been the real disaster under Chapek.

If Apple finally decides to try and buy Disney, maybe Iger can help facilitate that transaction.

Do not want Ted Lasso or Severance under the Disney Umbrella.

I didn't want anything from FX or even stuff like The Simpsons under the Disney Umbrella, even though besides the further shelling out of The Simpsons on Disney+, those products remain virtually unchanged.

Yet here we are.

I didn't want anything from FX or even stuff like The Simpsons under the Disney Umbrella, even though besides the further shelling out of The Simpsons on Disney+, those products remain virtually unchanged.

Yet here we are.

Pretty much. The quality of Simpsons episodes haven't been great pre-Disney and I assume that they are not great now, but I would not know since I haven't watched a Simpsons episode since 2018.

Apple please start small like mail be buying car limbos studios (or at least Spider-Man) from Sony

I wish people would stop asking directors about Marvel. All it does is generate clickbait headlines. They’re obviously not going to be a fan of studio’s only producing big budget comic book movies

Quentin Tarantino Says Marvel Killed the Movie Star - Variety

I agree with you, but it would also be nice if directors (and actors and whoever else is asked) would stop spouting obvious bull**** in response to the stupid questions they shouldn't have been asked anyway.

The movie star was dead before Marvel Studios was even a proven success.

That's been the trend recently to make an article of whatever comes out of Quentin Tarantino mouth like it's gospel or some sh**... I'm pretty sure they're have an article about the best breakfast he's ever had.

They’ve moved on from Martin Scorsese. Next they’ll dig up Fellini’s corpse and ask him

I agree with you, but it would also be nice if directors (and actors and whoever else is asked) would stop spouting obvious bull**** in response to the stupid questions they shouldn't have been asked anyway.

The movie star was dead before Marvel Studios was even a proven success.

I wouldn't say that. Tom Cruise is still a movie star. Vin Diesel thinks he is, due to the success of the Fast and Furious Franchise. It can be debated that the Rock is one too.

As for the Tarantino comments, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SLJ agrees with him. If anyone knows Quentin quite well, it's SLJ.

I wouldn't say that. Tom Cruise is still a movie star. Vin Diesel thinks he is, due to the success of the Fast and Furious Franchise. It can be debated that the Rock is one too.

As for the Tarantino comments, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SLJ agrees with him. If anyone knows Quentin quite well, it's SLJ.

Tom Cruise has been a movie star since the 80s. Various others from the 80s and 90s are still around, too, to varying levels of effect. But no one who's become famous this century has actually proven themselves capable being a genuine draw just as an actor, including Diesel and the Rock. Marvel Studios didn't do that. They didn't even exist when the problem started.

I still kind of wonder if this might have been The Plan, though. Which is to say, was Chapek made CEO in part so he could be the monster and bad cop that did a lot of things the Disney stockholders wanted to see done, that would be unpopular. Then, once he's done his job, you can replace him, be the good cop, and not have to take the blame for any of the stuff.

Tom Cruise has been a movie star since the 80s. Various others from the 80s and 90s are still around, too, to varying levels of effect. But no one who's become famous this century has actually proven themselves capable being a genuine draw just as an actor, including Diesel and the Rock. Marvel Studios didn't do that. They didn't even exist when the problem started.

Diesel and the Rock think they are. WWE thinks the Rock is a movie star.

It depends on your interpretation of a movie star.

For me, if you have headlined several big movies and your face is all over the trailers/posters, then you are a movie star. I don't care if the movie you are in cost $200 million and became a boX office flop and derailed a franchise, you are still a movie star to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"