Homecoming The Mary-Jane Casting Poll - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_o2tw91GApB1us2plso1_500.gif

giphy.gif

That's funny because she gets mistaken for Kendall Jenner (you know... the supermodel) all the time.

Kendall is a model, Gisele is a supermodel.

I'm not implying anything of the sort. I'm saying that maybe they only sought out a certain type of person and didn't audition a wide range of actresses. And we don't know if the others who have been suggested could have been better if they didn't audition at all.

For FFINO, its defenders were originally arguing that maybe MBJ was selected as the Human Torch because he beat all the other contenders and gave the best audition, regardless of whether he was black or not. But in fact, his buddy Trank wanted to put him in the movie anyway so it wasn't a case of being the best and most suitable out of all possible choices. And he wasn't even like the character in the end anyway.
Fantastic Four has nothing to do with this conversation.

I will say that more white actors are handed roles by their director friends all of the time and yet it seems to bother you only when it comes to black actors. Odd.

This is Marvel we are talking about they audition actors.

I thought we could edit that poll or at least, delete it with a new thread :/

Not really nit picky on who is cast as MJ, so long as she isn't a needy whiny brat like Raimi's MJ.

Kendall is a model, Gisele is a supermodel.
Gisele is retired and not in the game nearly as much as she used to be.

How is Kendall not a supermodel? Just because she's not your cup of tea doesn't mean she isn't at that level. Shes been on the cover of Paris and Japan Vogue for fracks sake. She is successful enough to be considered at that level.

I think Kendall Jenner is attractive, and it's not like a model's level of fame corresponds to how good looking I think they are, but to be fair, she is Caitlin Jenner's daughter. Daughters of celebrities commonly get attention as models that they wouldn't if they were just some random person, and the Kardashian clan is pretty much the epitome of being famous for being famous.

Fair enough but I do find Kendall more attractive than Giselle and Kate Moss. And they are considered supermodels so at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I really hope its Zendaya. I think she's stunning and she'd be a great MJ.

Just like O'Brien was Spider-Man, right? :o :cwink:
Nah, dude, completely different circumstances. What makes you think she's MJ? All of the so-called "evidence" could match up with other characters as well.. Why MJ in particular? And why would Marvel needlessly change a character who one of their defining trait is their look? It doesn't sit well with me no matter how hard I try to warm up to the idea. Like I said, some characters can be changed and some characters can't. MJ falls into "can't" category.

I'm at the point where I'd love to see her cast as MJ just to see nerd heads explode.

Actresses who have played Lucy Lane generally would've made good candidates for Mary Jane when they were younger. The only thing is they're always too old for Tom Holland now.

Eg:

Peyton List:

peyton-list-4.jpg

Jenna Dewan Tatum

66d7393809a78f962312e070fe43c66a_screen4.jpg

Maybe they should try casting for Lucy Lane and they'd find their MJ that way.

Nah, dude, completely different circumstances

How?

What makes you think she's MJ?

The timing of her announcement, especially after the likes of Peter and Aunt May got cast. Aside from that, she gives me an MJ vibe. :oldrazz:

All of the so-called "evidence" could match up with other characters as well.. Why MJ in particular?

Taking everything said thus far by reports, cast and crew, it is a safe bet to say she'd be MJ. Now, I could be wrong and that's fine, but I just see no way a character like Michelle Gonzales being 'important later on'. In fact, I say that rules out a lot of smaller female characters of Spider-Man's world. Leaving only the likes of Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Ava Ayala and Felicia Hardy.

From there, I just think:

• We've just seen Gwen Stacy, so having her again would be a bit of waste (after she was the highlight of the past series and how Emma basically defined that character), so I doubt they'd go into old territory that soon.

• Felicia Hardy hasn't really been done yet to her fullest, so it'd be easy to assume a character like Felicia would fall into that mold of "being important later on" as Black Cat. However, you could argue they may not use Felicia right away due to trying to distance themselves from the past series (with what little screen time she had, mind you, but I digress).

• Ava Ayala has yet to make her big screen debut, and after both the success and popularity of TCTWNBN (the cartoon that will not be named), I could easily see Zendaya fitting to that rather well.

• Lastly, it's Mary Jane Watson. We haven't seen that character on the big screen for over 9 years (not counting TASM2 because she got cut) and with everything being said about this, obviously she will be included in this new series in a significant fashion. To add, MJW is one of those characters that could be both a best friend or a love interest to Peter, so that alone would be enough to justify a supporting role for the solo film but a role of much more importance later on.

Zendaya was one of a handful of actresses who had been testing with Holland for the past couple of weeks, but insiders stress that the character is neither Parker’s love interest nor a lead role. She will, however, play a bigger part in future installments.

TL;DR version: She's either MJ, Ava or Felicia to me.

And why would Marvel needlessly change a character who one of their defining trait is their look?

Sorry dude, but the only defining trait about MJ (in terms of look) is that she has red hair. Besides, Zendaya is African-Caucasian so I don't see the big deal, really.

It doesn't sit well with me no matter how hard I try to warm up to the idea. Like I said, some characters can be changed and some characters can't. MJ falls into "can't" category.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to say you'd be fine with an Asian Gwen (where her blonde hair is easily recognizable) but not be fine with MJ having a slight change of skin color from her regular counterpart? Even if she was still the exact same character? Just saying there.

At the end of the day, I'd be fine if Zendaya is MJ because she seems like a really genuine, likable person and I'd be fine if she was not and was just some made up character (like Rachel Dawes of the Batman series). It's all speculation as her role is very, very vague. :yay:

tumblr_o2tw91GApB1us2plso1_500.gif

Repost 'cause why not?

Last edited:
Why would any one want Zendaya to play Mary Jane at all? She doesn't seem like the right choice for the character and besides, she is speculated to play Michele Gonzales from the Spider-Island arc of the Spider-Man Comics.

I'd prefer Katherine McNamara to play Mary Jane more than her anyways due to her likeness being more like 616 Mary Jane than anything.

Zendaya was one of a handful of actresses who had been testing with Holland for the past couple of weeks, but insiders stress that the character is neither Parker’s love interest nor a lead role. She will, however, play a bigger part in future installments.

Screams Mary Jane to me.

I'm pretty sure high school Peter isn't going to have a roommate or a drunken hookup, so how would Michelle Gonzales become a bigger part in future installments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"