The Metallica appreciation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atrax robustus said:
Yeah St Anger was "fast" for the sake of having an album that was that way.

Some of the songs on it pretty good. But on a whole the album just doesnt cut it for me. That being said, I dont mind if Im at a party and its put on. Its still an ok album, I was just disappointed as I expected more from Metallica and believe theyre capable of so much more. More heart, more thought, more feeling... just MORE!

It felt a bit "hollow" to me. Shame....

Bring on the next one! :)
amen to that brotha!!!

and yes, when Metallica releases their next album, I will be there in line to buy it the day it comes out, just like I've done with every album they've released since Justice

they just need to focus on making kick ash, honest songs

oh, changing the subject, did you see in SKOM that they gave Rob 1 million bucks just as a retainer for joining the band? does anybody think if he'll last in the fold? he's a really talented guy, just listen to the stuff he's done with Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, Ozzy and more recently with Jerry Cantrell

Look at the variety of wildlife Hetfield has killed!!! ahahahah
hit the link, he is a legend.

James Hetfield is the Bill Brasky of Metal

isthatabanjo.jpg

he rocks even with a banjo!!!

james01.jpg

he don't need no smiley face, cuz he's a badass

james_buff.jpg

he kills animals with his bare hands, the gun is there just because he don't wanna look like a show off

kennyhet.jpg

he feeds his fans to his prey, then he hunts his pray... this little boy doesn't know he's about to become breakfast for a grizzly bear

tbn_Metallica01.jpg

if you've been wondering where has Ricky Martin gone... here's the reality, he was killed by James and fed to his fans, which were then fed to a pack of mad bobcats, and then hunted by James

James is getting old.
jamesny18lh.jpg

still the coolest leadman in rock though.

PLAS said:
amen to that brotha!!!

and yes, when Metallica releases their next album, I will be there in line to buy it the day it comes out, just like I've done with every album they've released since Justice

they just need to focus on making kick ash, honest songs

oh, changing the subject, did you see in SKOM that they gave Rob 1 million bucks just as a retainer for joining the band? does anybody think if he'll last in the fold? he's a really talented guy, just listen to the stuff he's done with Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, Ozzy and more recently with Jerry Cantrell
I think rob will do awesome in Metallica. Have you heard his bass solo from the Madly in Anger tour? It's really cool, he gets that high pitch distortion sound that cliff got.

So Plas, the best retort to my comments you could come up with was that you wiped your bum with them? How mature :rolleyes:

What is the essential Metallica song?

I can't think of one, but here's what comes to me.

Master of Puppets
Unnamed feeling
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow

Man-Thing said:
I don't care how many of their albums you have bought, if you can't contribute to their success by buying an album then you shouldn't be able to steal it.
Downloading music for free can help artists just as much as it hurts them. I will check out a new band and download an album of theres for free... then, if I really like them I will go out and buy a shirt of theres, maybe a album, and I will go to the place every band makes the real money from... there shows. Bands make the big money from touring, not from selling cds. I have discovered more bands downloading music than I could have ever imagined. I go to there shows, I buy there merchandise, and I sometimes even buy there cd's. What more can you ask of someone that would have never bought something from you in the first place if he hadn't discovered you through P2P?

Man-Thing said:
I think rob will do awesome in Metallica. Have you heard his bass solo from the Madly in Anger tour? It's really cool, he gets that high pitch distortion sound that cliff got.
where can I get it? I have some recent live metallica stuff, but no solos, he does pound away on Damage Inc. I have it here somewhere... Rob is one of the most underrated bassplayers around, he's up there with Flea and Claypool, but he needs more recognition, hopefully this gig will get him the due respect he deserves

Man-Thing said:
What is the essential Metallica song?

I can't think of one, but here's what comes to me.

Master of Puppets
Unnamed feeling
Creeping Death
Harvester of Sorrow
As much as I think it's an overrated and overplayed song, probably Enter Sandman. My favorite is Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Bishop Cori said:
So Plas, the best retort to my comments you could come up with was that you wiped your bum with them? How mature :rolleyes:
grow a ****ing sense of humor dammit, it was a great post, but I needed to amuse myself... can't some people take a joke?

Slipknot said:
Downloading music for free can help artists just as much as it hurts them. I will check out a new band and download a album of theres for free... then, if I really like them I will go out and buy a shirt of theres, maybe a album, and I will go to the place every band makes the real money from... there shows. Bands make the big money from touring, not from selling cds.
I personally started listening to Dream Theater via downloads, but have now bought all but three of their albums (those three I haven't only because they are unavailible in my town. Eventually I'll get them from Wal-Mart.com or some other viable alternative.) I'm also a big advocate for making copies of your albums on your computer, because I've had full collections of real CD's stolen from me not once but twice. (Including every Metallica CD EACH time, because the first time I respected their wishes and didn't make hard copies, and rebought the CDs. The last time I had them ripped to my computer, and will not be spending the hundreds of dollars to replace them again.)

PLAS said:
grow a ****ing sense of humor dammit, it was a great post, but I needed to amuse myself... can't some people take a joke?
I'm sorry but I was expecting a well developed counter post, like you had posted elsewhere in the thread, my bad.

Bishop Cori said:
As much as I think it's an overrated and overplayed song, probably Enter Sandman. My favorite is Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Enter Sandman is overplayed, but if you look into it, it's a perfect example of what Metallica does in a nutshell

Sanitarium is one of those songs that never get old

And Justice For All is also a great, epic song, just like the call of ktullu

Bishop Cori said:
I personally started listening to Dream Theater via downloads, but have now bought all but three of their albums (those three I haven't only because they are unavailible in my town. Eventually I'll get them from Wal-Mart.com or some other viable alternative.) I'm also a big advocate for making copies of your albums on your computer, because I've had full collections of real CD's stolen from me not once but twice. (Including every Metallica CD EACH time, because the first time I respected their wishes and didn't make hard copies, and rebought the CDs. The last time I had them ripped to my computer, and will not be spending the hundreds of dollars to replace them again.)
that's fair use, that's not illegal.

Slipknot said:
Downloading music for free can help artists just as much as it hurts them. I will check out a new band and download an album of theres for free... then, if I really like them I will go out and buy a shirt of theres, maybe a album, and I will go to the place every band makes the real money from... there shows. Bands make the big money from touring, not from selling cds. I have discovered more bands downloading music than I could have ever imagined. I go to there shows, I buy there merchandise, and I sometimes even buy there cd's. What more can you ask of someone that would have never bought something from you in the first place if he hadn't discovered you through P2P?
If the artist and their record company want to have people down load it, hey more power to them.
If they don't, that's when it's unethical IMO.
You can say because you download that you benefit the band by _________, it really doesn't matter. Many people say that, hardly any of them would be able to back it up. The ends do not justify the means.

Man-Thing said:
If the artist and their record company want to have people down load it, hey more power to them.
If they don't, that's when it's unethical IMO.
You can say because you download that you benefit the band by _________, it really doesn't matter. Many people say that, hardly any of them would be able to back it up. The ends do not justify the means.
So testing someone's music and buying it if you like it is unethical? Like I said, I started listening to Dream Theater buy means of DLs and have now bought nine of their 12 albums and am trying to find the other 3. I know a lot of people that do that, and can verify by looking at their CD collections that 90% of them are real disks. The only reason that 90% of mine aren't is that twice I've had 200+ CDs stolen from my car. Believe it or not; in interviews where the question of what to do when the music is stolen from a fan; Lars actually said that they should buy it all over again. I'm sorry but thats unfair to fans.

Bishop Cori said:
So testing someone's music and buying it if you like it is unethical? Like I said, I started listening to Dream Theater buy means of DLs and have now bought nine of their 12 albums and am trying to find the other 3. I know a lot of people that do that, and can verify by looking at their CD collections that 90% of them are real disks. The only reason that 90% of mine aren't is that twice I've had 200+ CDs stolen from my car. Believe it or not; in interviews where the question of what to do when the music is stolen from a fan; Lars actually said that they should buy it all over again. I'm sorry but thats unfair to fans.
Is it Dream Theater that allows you to download? How does their record company feel about it if so?

How is it Lars' fault if your music was stolen from your car? Why should his life be affected even in the smallest detail because of your misfortune. Metallica has a great fan base, and they are very generous to their fans. Don't make Lars seem immoral because of what you preceive is his moral dilema.

Man-Thing said:
Is it Dream Theater that allows you to download? How does their record company feel about it if so?

How is it Lars' fault if your music was stolen from your car? Why should his life be affected even in the smallest detail because of your misfortune. Metallica has a great fan base, and they are very generous to their fans. Don't make Lars seem immoral because of what you preceive is his moral dilema.
I don't know how Dream Theater feels about it, but the fact of the matter is that if I hadn't downloaded them I would have never started to listen to them. Therefore I wouldn't have spent over $300 on their CD's and DVDs. I've done the same with many other bands.

It's not Lars's fault, I never said that it was. But according to him it's illegal for me to have a back up on my computer in case something like that happens. As I said before, the first time it happened I didn't have that hard copy, because I respected their wishes. I then went and spent an absurd ammount of money buying all of their albums a second time. If I had not made the copies that time I would have had to spend my hard earned money on them for a third time.

By the way, way to contradict yourself. First you say that its a fair and legal thing than you completely flip to the other side defending Lars's argument that it's not.

Bishop Cori said:
I don't know how Dream Theater feels about it, but the fact of the matter is that if I hadn't downloaded them I would have never started to listen to them. Therefore I wouldn't have spent over $300 on their CD's and DVDs. I've done the same with many other bands.

It's not Lars's fault, I never said that it was. But according to him it's illegal for me to have a back up on my computer in case something like that happens. As I said before, the first time it happened I didn't have that hard copy, because I respected their wishes. I then went and spent an absurd ammount of money buying all of their albums a second time. If I had not made the copies that time I would have had to spend my hard earned money on them for a third time.

By the way, way to contradict yourself. First you say that its a fair and legal thing than you completely flip to the other side defending Lars's argument that it's not.

You didn't give the context in which he made that quote. If he's talking about having a back up copy on your computer then I disagree with him. I probably misread what you said. Fair use laws say you can have a back up copy, you just can't share it.

Man-Thing said:
You can say because you download that you benefit the band by _________, it really doesn't matter. Many people say that, hardly any of them would be able to back it up.
I just went to a Killswitch Engage/As I Lay Dying/Once Beloved concert last night. I discovered them via downloading the album "The End Of Heartache" and I enjoyed it. I then went out and bought a shirt... and I actually bought "The End Of Heartache" cd at Strawberries too. I went to the concert last night and bought a shirt along with being apart of there DVD to be released in October I believe (which I will definitely be buying). I have spent around 70 dollars of my own money towards Killswitch Engage merchandise when I would have never gotten into them if I hadn't downloaded and listened to there album. If you want me to "back it up" then I can take a picture of myself holding my ticket, and "The End Of Heartache" cd along with myself wearing/holding the KSE shirts.

Man-Thing said:
Fair use laws say you can have a back up copy, you just can't share it.
Didn't Sony try and put a cd protection on some of there cd releases? It doesn't allow you to rip the album to your computer and it also doesn't work in many portable cd players. It didn't go over too well for Sony, you buy and album and you can't even listen to it in your cd player.

I download lots of albums on a daily basis, the ones that have what it takes, get bought by me

I guess it's fair, if your album is not good enough, I don't buy it, if I like it, I buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"