The MLB Thread

man, im pretty sure i still have his rookie card somewhere. solid player, well deserved

Rest In Peace, Tim McCarver.

s-l1600.jpg

I saw that earlier. I understand umpires get upset at players for arguing balls and strikes, but it seemed like that final strike was out of spite. Can't do that no matter how upset you are.

This is the worst strike call I've ever seen.

They ought to have balls and strikes called by the MLB equivalent of cyclops. The umpires have shown themselves incapable of doing a decent job of it. It would help the pitchers, help the hitters, and help the game.

I'm very excited for the 2023 MLB season becuase the Cubs have had great offseason signings including Dansby Swanson.
Realistically the Cubs could improve with a winning season in 2023, and achievable for them to make the Playoffs as a Wild Card team.

A good opening day for the Orioles since they defeated the Red Sox in Boston.

I'm pretty damn happy my Cubs defeated the Brewers 4-0.
161 games left in the regular season which is why I'm not overeacting after the Cubs had a great first game.

I decided to record the Dodgers last night and watched their rookie pitcher, Bobby Miller. Man, that guy throws one of the easiest 100MPH fastballs I've seen. In the 6th after 84 pitches, he was still bringing it at 99. If that guy can learn to get his slider and change (in the case of the change, down just off the zone) over on a consistent basis, he's gonna be a problem. If Buehler can come back strong, that rotation is gonna be double tough.

TBH, it's gonna be tough anyway. Is there another team out there with

Urias
Kershaw
Gonsolin
May (If he can return)
Miller
Buehler (if he can return)

Injuries are the unknown, but those are 6 quality starters (when healthy).

EDIT: Probably a little early to call Miller a quality starter as he's only had 2 games, but is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA.and a .91 WHIP.

Last edited:
Nice to see Miami. Arizona and Pittsburgh doing well heading into the summer months. Cool to see some new blood battling in the NL this year.

So, I was watching the Dodgers and Rockies earlier tonight and Bird, the pitcher for the Rockies, was WILD when he first came on in relief. He was hitting people and, early on, nothing he threw was close to a strike. How wild was he? He was so wild he couldn't have found the plate with a knife and a fork.

Real question.....did I make that up or did I hear someone else say it and I just forgot/liberated it?

they don't seem to teach/coach accuracy anymore. they just care about velocity

they don't seem to teach/coach accuracy anymore. they just care about velocity
Velocity is important, but location is more important. Zack Greinke was saying he knows exactly what Clayton Kershaw is going to throw, but he's still hard to hit because he spots the ball so well. The Dodgers, and to a slightly lesser extent, the Padres, are very, very disciplined at the plate. The Dodgers get about 3/4 of a walk per game more than the #3 team in MLB. Over the course of the season, that adds up to runs and those add up to wins.

Of course, this leads me to my pet peeve in MLB.......home plate umps calling balls and strikes. :fst:

completely agree on location > velocity

Is MLB expansion a good idea and if so, where?

braves baseball tonight!

really want a Braves/Orioles World Series

i just want to say that i really hate the new playoff format. 5 days off for the 1 seeds

and as a result, the top seeds are 1-12 or 1-13 in the playoffs. which is terrible.

a 5 day break for a sport that plays 162 games a year is not an advantage. if anything, as shown since the change, it puts the teams on the break at a severe disadvantage. look at what it did to the best pitchers in the game, if not the offenses.

not really invested enough in any team to where i'm not sure i'll be watching the rest of the games.

i just want to say that i really hate the new playoff format. 5 days off for the 1 seeds

and as a result, the top seeds are 1-12 or 1-13 in the playoffs. which is terrible.

a 5 day break for a sport that plays 162 games a year is not an advantage. if anything, as shown since the change, it puts the teams on the break at a severe disadvantage. look at what it did to the best pitchers in the game, if not the offenses.

not really invested enough in any team to where i'm not sure i'll be watching the rest of the games.
Right on point......in baseball, that's not an advantage.

That being said.....

giphy.gif

BTW, my great aunt was a member of the Rockford Peaches. She played centerfield and was known at "The Blonde Bombshell". LOL

One of her teammates had a major, major crush on her.

This is a pic of my autographed card from her.

Aunt Dodie.png

Last edited:
^that is awesome!

A League of Their Own is one of my favorite movies.

I've actually been lucky enough to have met my favorite Olympic Softball player Cat Osterman back in 2007. We took the team i was coaching up to George Mason University to watch Cat pitch again Monica Abbott in a pro game. Girls got to go out on the field with the players before game and meet them for autographs and pictures after. It was very cool. Coaches got a few pics too lol

So glad the Rangers beat the Astros, I love Dusty Baker, but after the crap Houston pulled, I will never, ever root for them against anyone.

the only thing i like about houston is verlander, because we went to ODU

Glad to see the Rangers and D-Backs in the WS this year. Rangers have never won it and the D-Backs haven't since 2001. Should be a good series!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"