The Modern Asian Film Thread

GhostPoet

Superhero
Reaction score
So, there has been some really amazing stuff coming out of the Asian film industry in the past few years. Detective Dee, A Chinese Ghost Story, IP Man 1 & 2, Assassins and Bodyguards, The Host and Just Call Me Nobody just to name a FEW.

Are there any new ones you like in particular that you feel people here NEED to watch?

I've barely tapped Asian cinema but so far: Shinjuku Incident and The Good, The Bad, and the Weird.

I liked Casshern, thought that film was pretty good

I've barely tapped Asian cinema but so far: Shinjuku Incident and The Good, The Bad, and the Weird.

ack! How could I forget The Good, The Bad and The Weird. One of my all time favorites next to Kung Fu Hustle

The Man From Nowhere was good and even though it's older I always have to recommend A Bittersweet Life.

Does anyone know when Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmasters is finally coming out?

Are there any new ones you like in particular that you feel people here NEED to watch?
Lee Chang-dong's Poetry is pretty great. Park Chan-wook's Thirst, but probably everyone's seen that already. Lu Chan's City of Life and Death. 13 Assassins, if you haven't seen that yet. Lou Ye's Spring Fever is quite beautiful, though it's a little long. Oh, and Secret Reunion.

Last edited:
Might be a good time to bump this thread after Parasite won Best Picture!

Share and recommend your recent Asian film views!

I saw Forgotten, another Korean film, on Netflix a couple of days ago and thought it was excellent!

Ash Is Purest White. Zhangke Jia continues to astonish with his epic narratives of a changing China.

Tsai Ming-liang has a new film, Days, opening at the Berlin Film Festival. His recent No No Sleep is a great short film.

Weathering With You is another superb Shinkai anime.

Asian here:
Train to Busan
Parasite.
Kungfu Hustle
Memories of Murder (of Bong Joon Ho)
Oldboy
Infernal Affairs (the original movie from which The Departed is adapted. I haven't seen it)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is probably the most popular Asian movie with 10 Oscar nominations, but personally I hate that movie, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"