The Movie Critic - Tarantino’s Next/Last(?)

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Quentin Tarantino Sets ‘The Movie Critic’ as Tenth and Final Movie – The Hollywood Reporter

Logline details are being kept in a suitcase but sources describe the story as being set in late 1970s Los Angeles with a female lead at its center.

It is possible the story focuses on Pauline Kael, one of the most influential movie critics of all time. Kael, who died in 2001, was not just a critic but also an essayist and novelist. She was known for her pugnacious fights with editors as well as filmmakers. In the late 1970s, Kael had a very brief tenure working as a consultant for Paramount, a position she accepted at the behest of actor Warren Beatty. The timing of that Paramount job seems to coincide with the setting of the script — and the filmmaker is known to have a deep respect for Kael, making the odds of her being the subject of the film more likely.

If it is indeed a biopic of Pauline Kael, it would be wild if we got a Meryl Streep/Quentin Tarantino collaboration. I looked up pictures of Kael and I could easily see Streep playing her.

If it is indeed a biopic of Pauline Kael, it would be wild if we got a Meryl Streep/Quentin Tarantino collaboration. I looked up pictures of Kael and I could easily see Streep playing her.
Wasn’t he dismissive of Meryl at one point?

I don’t remember all of what he said, but I recall it was something like where older actresses are concerned, he’d prefer something like Jessica Lange on American Horror Story.

Wasn’t he dismissive of Meryl at one point?

I don’t remember all of what he said, but I recall it was something like where older actresses are concerned, he’d prefer something like Jessica Lange on American Horror Story.
Not sure, all I could find regarding his comments on Meryl was that he'd like to work with her as of 10 years ago.

Quentin Tarantino Says He & Johnny Depp Would Love To Work Together; His Wishlist Includes Meryl Streep & Michael Caine | IndieWire

Of course it's about Pauline ****in Kael. The film bros are gonna eat this up.

You know something, I don’t actually know that much about Kael. Let me take a look around. Oh hey, here’s something…
"Raising Kane" is a 1971 book-length essay by American film critic Pauline Kael, in which she revived controversy over the authorship of the screenplay for the 1941 film Citizen Kane. Kael celebrated screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz, first-credited co-author of the screenplay, and denigrated the contributions of Orson Welles, who co-wrote, produced and directed the film, and performed the lead role.
Dear God, we’re in for Mank 2.

You know something, I don’t actually know that much about Kael. Let me take a look around. Oh hey, here’s something…

Dear God, we’re in for Mank 2.

Basically if you wanna know why cinephiles are so pretentious, you will see they learn about Kael from film school.

Tarantino’s book Cinema Speculation is wonderful, and he speaks a lot of the film critics of that era.

If anyone can make film criticism - or specifically film critics - exciting, it’s Tarantino.

And Paulina Kael I didn’t agree with 90% of the time, but man, could she write, unlike 99% of the “critics” on RT today lol

Bleh, the Academy will eat this up though.

Oh God, I wish…

Would easily watch that 10 times.
The only person who can play Grace Randolph is Jillian Bell, and she has to play her exactly like her character on Workaholics.

giphy.gif

What I wouldn't do for another present day crime drama in the same vein as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, but I'll take this for his "final" film.

I know that 70's soundtrack is going to be fire though.

Honestly I don’t care for these type of biopics. Mank bored me to tears. I wish we would’ve gotten Kill Bill 3 instead.

Honestly I don’t care for these type of biopics. Mank bored me to tears. I wish we would’ve gotten Kill Bill 3 instead.
Let's slow down here. I'm seeing it taken as a given that this is basically going to be a Kael biopic, and I don't know what about Tarantino's career makes people think that that's where he's going to go with this.

Let's slow down here. I'm seeing it taken as a given that this is basically going to be a Kael biopic, and I don't know what about Tarantino's career makes people think that that's where he's going to go with this.
Biopic or not, this type of subject matter just doesn’t interest me. I’d prefer another crime thriller or action movie from him. I didn’t care for Once Upon a Time and I probably won’t care for this. I’m hoping to be proven wrong.

I'd be utterly shocked if there was no violence in it.

It is funny how he hasn't made a movie that takes place past 1995 or so...

Realer Than Real - Part 1
  • 1986 | My Best Friend's Birthday
  • 1992 | Reservoir Dogs
  • 1993 | (True Romance)
  • 1994 | Pulp Fiction
  • 1994 | (Natural Born Killers)
  • 1995 | Jackie Brown
  • 1995 | (Four Rooms)
  • 1997 | (Out Of Sight)
He's been slowly coming back to the era just before he started his (meta) career...

Realer Than Real - Part II
  • 1858 | Django Unchained
  • 1877 | The Hateful Eight
  • 1941 | Inglourious Basterds
  • 1969 | Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  • 197x | The Movie Critic
...and these are the "movies" within the Realer Than Real-Universe;

Movie-Movie
  • 1996 | From Dusk Till Dawn
  • 2003| Kill Bill
  • 2006 | (Planet Terror)
  • 2007 | Death Proof