The Namek: Piccolo Discussion Thread

I agree, it has a lot to do with how the character will come across. I just meant that if there's a lot of CGI involved it would be even more so.

Hehe, yeah Funimation Piccolo in particular is all about the gruffness!

Yeah. Not sure about the Japanese actor's voice... I have no tolerance for anything but the English dubs, since I can't stand the ultra-feminine male voices of the Japanese actors. Fans praise those actors, even though to me, their voices don't even remotely fit the characters... you have these muscular, masculine and battling guys talking like thirteen year olds. It's weird. I hate it.

I love most of the Japanese VAs but I totally see what you mean. The Japanese VAs are particularly weird if you started with the American ones. Someone I know also drew my attention to the fact that these totally buff and macho men have tiny pointy little feet! Something we don't really need translated to movie format :oldrazz:

Heh. As long as they don't turn out Grinch-type pointy, I think we'll be okay. ;)

Yeah. Not sure about the Japanese actor's voice... I have no tolerance for anything but the English dubs, since I can't stand the ultra-feminine male voices of the Japanese actors. Fans praise those actors, even though to me, their voices don't even remotely fit the characters... you have these muscular, masculine and battling guys talking like thirteen year olds. It's weird. I hate it.

You grow to appreciate it after a while. The only ones with voices like that, really, are Goku and Gohan. It's the emotion and sincerity in the voices. Japanese seiyu voice acting is taken much more seriously than it is here in the states. Plus, most importantly, we aren't really hearing the original story in the English dub. Many lines and plot elements are changed and tweaked around, and although we can understand what they're saying, the story, in many places, isn't the same. That's what most fans get tangled up with.

I don't mind the English dub, except in extreme cases, like Frieza or Bulma. The only seiyu I find truly superior to the English VAs are with characters like Vegeta, Bulma, Cell, Frieza, and Trunks. Tenshinhan and Yamcha sound much better in the Japanese audio, too, but they're okay in English.

For some reason, I really liked Yamcha's English VA.
I agree, it's Goku's (Japanese) voice that makes the subbing hard to take seriously. Even doing the kamehameha he doesn't seem butch. But you get used to it.

You grow to appreciate it after a while. The only ones with voices like that, really, are Goku and Gohan. It's the emotion and sincerity in the voices. Japanese seiyu voice acting is taken much more seriously than it is here in the states. Plus, most importantly, we aren't really hearing the original story in the English dub. Many lines and plot elements are changed and tweaked around, and although we can understand what they're saying, the story, in many places, isn't the same. That's what most fans get tangled up with.

I don't mind the English dub, except in extreme cases, like Frieza or Bulma. The only seiyu I find truly superior to the English VAs are with characters like Vegeta, Bulma, Cell, Frieza, and Trunks. Tenshinhan and Yamcha sound much better in the Japanese audio, too, but they're okay in English.

There's this whole mindset among certain fans that the Japanese dubs are more emotionally engaging, superior, etc. etc. I think that has more to do with the content and meaning of the words rather than who they chose to do the voice acting... like sometimes the translations are waaaay off base, and I understand that in preferring the Japanese over the FUNimation/English.

But I 100% disagree with the crack-smoking-induced claim that the Japanese actors generally know how to convey emotion better. I don't pick that up when I watch a Jap Eng-sub DBZ episode. I think they know how to be over-dramatic in inappropriate scenes. Maybe it's because I'm so annoyed by Goku/Gohan/Krillin, etc. that I need some Ibuprofen? I don't know. And I admit Vegeta is the less of the evils here (but still prefer English).

I swear. Some of those characters start talking, and I get the impression that it's some Japanese girl sitting behind a PC with her cheap microphone and wanting to make viewers laugh at the absurdity of making tough men sound like weirdo *****es.

That’s how it sounds to you, maybe because you’re not used to it. But you’ll find a lot of fans that are used to the Japanese audio who will tell you that the English dub sounds like a bunch of hickboned redneck WWF meatheads, lol. It’s all about interpretation.

I grew up more with the English dub, but it was only about two years after that when I made a friend who happened to have some Japanese VHS bootlegs, so I started to watch both.

Maybe that's why I have a tolerance for both audio tracks. -shrug-

Feels like some of them haven't even budged, heh.

Languages comparison
3 languages Final Flash
[YT]Xb9JUEo2vWs[/YT]

5 Languages Goku Kamehame ha
[YT]OPZEAaN2pLg&NR=1[/YT]

4 languages Vegeta Kill gyniu force
[YT]6ltRAvMqcm0[/YT]

6 languages Fussion

[YT]pxzcJ-qD3vg[/YT]

7 languages Goku goes SJJ
[YT]KvKSWtWeWkQ[/YT]

Piccolo voice Japanese
[YT]GfdP5WzywuY[/YT]

Piccolo voice English

[YT]-Xh3-xP78mo[/YT]

Piccolo voice Spanish (Mexico)

[YT]xkSwC09eDNM[/YT]

3 of the best dub voices of Piccolo I think, but there are dubs in many languages, all of them waiting to see a good Piccolo for the movie.

Nice comparison vids. :up:

Thanks.
Piccolo voice is important, i would like to hear Marter voice, and then change with computer a little to make it more menacing, like they did with tree beard in Lord of the ring, or the orcs.

Yeah, that'd be best. Marster's voice alone is not deep enough for Piccolo.

But who knows if he has talent to change his voice, like Head Ledger doing Joker, but still he has to be menacing, he has to scare the little children lol

No, I don't want little children to be scared but I'm sure his voice will be changed using computer technology, as they did for most of the voice actors in the Transformers movie.

I doubt it. They don't have Transformers money to be waisting on voice changing.

It's over 100 million. That's all anyone knows for certain.

There were rumors floating around before saying 30 million. They were debunked, thank God. But 100+ is where it stands right now. I'd hope it's around 120, at least, but 150 would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"