The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Given that we just learned that the events of "Thor:TDW" takes place approximately one year after the events of "The Avengers', thus being two years after the events of "Thor", I wonder what Jane will be feeling by the time she sees Thor again.

I ask that because like many have mentioned here, while it may be understandable for Jane to know that Thor didn't have any time to meet with her during his time on Earth for "The Avengers", even she might start wondering on why he didn't come back right away after the events of "TA concluded if he was able to come back for Loki since she doesn't know the details on what's going on in Asgard with the wars and how difficult it must be for Thor to travel back between realms given the destruction of the bi-frost.

Given that we just learned that the events of "Thor:TDW" takes place approximately one year after the events of "The Avengers', thus being two years after the events of "Thor", I wonder what Jane will be feeling by the time she sees Thor again.

I ask that because like many have mentioned here, while it may be understandable for Jane to know that Thor didn't have any time to meet with her during his time on Earth for "The Avengers", even she might start wondering on why he didn't come back right away after the events of "TA concluded if he was able to come back for Loki since she doesn't know the details on what's going on in Asgard with the wars and how difficult it must be for Thor to travel back between realms given the destruction of the bi-frost.
Do you mean that she might wonder why he did not return again to Earth after he took Loki back to Asgard?

That's a good question. It's a scenario I had not thought of.

Certainly she is aware that the Bifrost is destroyed. And I think she would have a reasonably good idea of how difficult it is to travel between the realms, what it would require. So she may well start to think that this is something that is just not meant to be, that fate simply will not allow them to meet.

On the other hand, from what we've heard of the story, much of it takes place somewhere other than Earth, and many things happen in the course of the movie. That implies that Jane does not spend much time deciding to leave her own realm when the opportunity arises.

I wonder how they will handle this to keep the story moving swiftly yet be believable for the characters.

Last edited:
I saw this on tumblr today

etzdhw.jpg

Had to share. Adorable.

Good question. Is it possible that time moves faster or slower depending on what realm you are in?
Because it would seem odd for thor (unless he is busy saving people) to allow that much time to go by before hookin up with jane. If they didnt make it seem like thor and jane were so attracted to each other. It wouldn't have been necessary to explain. But this HAS to be a question that we'll get an explaination for in the movie.

Do you mean that she might wonder why he did not return again to Earth after he took Loki back to Asgard?

That's a good question. It's a scenario I had not thought of.

Certainly she is aware that the Bifrost is destroyed. And I think she would have a reasonably good idea of how difficult it is to travel between the realms, what it would require. So she may well start to think that this is something that is just not meant to be, that fate simply will not allow them to meet.

On the other hand, from what we've heard of the story, much of it takes place somewhere other than Earth, and many things happen in the course of the movie. That implies that Jane does not spend much time deciding to leave her own realm when the opportunity arises.

I wonder how they will handle this to keep the story moving swiftly yet be believable for the characters.

Good question. Is it possible that time moves faster or slower depending on what realm you are in?
Because it would seem odd for thor (unless he is busy saving people) to allow that much time to go by before hookin up with jane. If they didnt make it seem like thor and jane were so attracted to each other. It wouldn't have been necessary to explain. But this HAS to be a question that we'll get an explaination for in the movie.

Indeed;

and to answer the question for the post first above, yep, I was indeed talking about her potentially wondering on why Thor wouldn't return back to Earth after picking up Loki.

I'm sure that she must have learned about Thor being on Earth through via television and Selvig's account of the events so considering that that he was gone for one year already (between Thor 1 and The Avengers), only to suddenly come back and then leave and not come back for another year, even she must start wondering on what she must have really meant to Thor and whether he still cares about her or moved on.

and to answer the question for the post first above, yep, I was indeed talking about her potentially wondering on why Thor wouldn't return back to Earth after picking up Loki.

I think she has a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to travel between the realms. Or, at least, she's the most knowledgeable of anyone on Earth.

She knew at the end of Thor1 that something catastrophic had happened with the Bifrost. Her own research undoubtedly progressed in the subsequent year, but did not reach the point of enabling mankind to open its own portals.

I'm sure that she must have learned about Thor being on Earth through via television and Selvig's account of the events

Yes, and as an employee of S.H.I.E.L.D. working in this area, she would have access to their satellites (at the end of Thor1, Erik asks Darcy if she has loaded the S.H.I.E.L.D. satellite codes). So she would have whatever data was available about recent journeys to Earth.

This next quote is from Guerrilla, but I failed to quote it properly (sorry!)
I agree!

Indeed;
. . .
so considering that that he was gone for one year already (between Thor 1 and The Avengers), only to suddenly come back and then leave and not come back for another year, even she must start wondering on what she must have really meant to Thor and whether he still cares about her or moved on.

I agree that it's quite likely, and natural, for her to question whether he actually still cares for her or has moved on. My own opinion is that it may not be so much that Thor didn't return after remanding Loki to his father's custody that would cause Jane to think that; Jane likely knows the difficulty. (and in the alternate ending, Darcy tells her, "He would come back if he could.")

It seems to me that a bigger factor is if he doesn't communicate anything to her while he is on Earth. By this I mean something so modest as, "Erik, tell Jane I said hello." or "I don't know when I'll be back."

And yet she is willing to travel to another realm in this film!

I think she has a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to travel between the realms. Or, at least, she's the most knowledgeable of anyone on Earth.

She knew at the end of Thor1 that something catastrophic had happened with the Bifrost. Her own research undoubtedly progressed in the subsequent year, but did not reach the point of enabling mankind to open its own portals.

Yes, and as an employee of S.H.I.E.L.D. working in this area, she would have access to their satellites (at the end of Thor1, Erik asks Darcy if she has loaded the S.H.I.E.L.D. satellite codes). So she would have whatever data was available about recent journeys to Earth.

This next quote is from Guerrilla, but I failed to quote it properly (sorry!)
I agree!

I agree that it's quite likely, and natural, for her to question whether he actually still cares for her or has moved on. My own opinion is that it may not be so much that Thor didn't return after remanding Loki to his father's custody that would cause Jane to think that; Jane likely knows the difficulty. (and in the alternate ending, Darcy tells her, "He would come back if he could.")

It seems to me that a bigger factor is if he doesn't communicate anything to her while he is on Earth. By this I mean something so modest as, "Erik, tell Jane I said hello." or "I don't know when I'll be back."

And yet she is willing to travel to another realm in this film!

I entirely agree; I think even Feige mentioned that the whole issue of them just having really known each other for 3 Earth Days will be brought up in regards to validating on whether what they have is the real deal or just something that they experienced in the heat of the moment during their time together.

And even though we didn't get to see Jane and Sif interact with each other much, I wonder if Jane will be shown to pick up on how long Sif and Thor have been friends and wonder to herself if Sif is someone that Thor may have turned his affections to during their (Jane and Thor's) time away from each other.

Nevertheless, aside from her own arc with Foster, I do hope that Jane is shown to have a good arc of her own that isn't just tied to her romantic relationship with Thor; I would think that even Natalie would want for the character to do something more than just that.

I entirely agree; I think even Feige mentioned that the whole issue of them just having really known each other for 3 Earth Days will be brought up in regards to validating on whether what they have is the real deal or just something that they experienced in the heat of the moment during their time together.

Yes. And really, Feige is being generous. It was more like 36 hours.

And even though we didn't get to see Jane and Sif interact with each other much, I wonder if Jane will be shown to pick up on how long Sif and Thor have been friends and wonder to herself if Sif is someone that Thor may have turned his affections to during their (Jane and Thor's) time away from each other.

I think you are suggesting Jane might wonder about Thor and Sif during the time between the Thor1 and Thor2 movies, though let me know if that's not what you meant.

The most overt clue we have from Thor1 is the anguished look Sif gives Thor when he tells her to withdraw from the battle with the Destroyer, to live and tell stories of glory herself. Next, when Thor tosses aside Sif's shield and faces down the Destroyer, Jane takes notice and says, "Wait, what is he doing?" So I suspect Jane's attention was not on Thor and Sif at the moment I just described. Any other interaction between Thor and Sif showing any history would have been a lot more subtle, and harder to read.

For that reason, I doubt Jane would have sensed a specific history between Thor and Sif. But in the years that follow, while she is questioning whether Thor is still interested in her or has moved on, I agree that it seems likely to me that she would speculate that maybe his attention has turned elsewhere, such as to Sif.

Nevertheless, aside from her own arc with Foster, I do hope that Jane is shown to have a good arc of her own that isn't just tied to her romantic relationship with Thor; I would think that even Natalie would want for the character to do something more than just that.
I do too! And I agree, Portman would want the character to make other contributions. (most actors want their characters to contribute and/or grow)

What would you like to see in such an arc for Jane?

Maybe so, but I doubt there will be time in the film to establish Jane as a full character.

Some things, conflicts, insecurities etc can be conveyed with very little and it doesn't even have to be spoken out loud. You don't have to use up 10-15 minutes of a film to explain all that is going on under the surface with Jane, Thor and Sif. Even in Thor 1 there are hints at Sif's feelings towards Thor. They obviously have a past, and we'll see more of what past they have in the coming film. Jane will probably pick up on this and all sorts of insecurities might happen. Or not! But those are things that can play out very much in silence, while other things are happening, with a line or two at times to underline what's going on.

Some things, conflicts, insecurities etc can be conveyed with very little and it doesn't even have to be spoken out loud. You don't have to use up 10-15 minutes of a film to explain all that is going on under the surface with Jane, Thor and Sif. Even in Thor 1 there are hints at Sif's feelings towards Thor. They obviously have a past, and we'll see more of what past they have in the coming film. Jane will probably pick up on this and all sorts of insecurities might happen. Or not! But those are things that can play out very much in silence, while other things are happening, with a line or two at times to underline what's going on.

I tthink when Sif seeing Jane and Thor, she should get jealous, then kill Jane. Thor will be like "my dear sif, I didnt know your love was this strong" then thor and sif become something again. And jane gets burried
:woot:

I tthink when Sif seeing Jane and Thor, she should get jealous, then kill Jane. Thor will be like "my dear sif, I didnt know your love was this strong" then thor and sif become something again. And jane gets burried
You really don't like Natalie Portman Jane, do you? :funny: Seriously, I think Thor would have been a bit upset by something like that. Jane may not yet be his undying love, but he likes her. And a smart girl pulls the rug from under the enemy's feet rather than going for immediate kill. After all, until such time Thor contemplates a proposal, Sif can calmly watch this die. Jane is, after all, a mortal.

Thor and Jane should get married. I'd really like to see this on the big screen:

JIM89+-+Jane+daydreams+about+Thor.jpg

You really don't like Natalie Portman Jane, do you? :funny: Seriously, I think Thor would have been a bit upset by something like that. Jane may not yet be his undying love, but he likes her. And a smart girl pulls the rug from under the enemy's feet rather than going for immediate kill. After all, until such time Thor contemplates a proposal, Sif can calmly watch this die. Jane is, after all, a mortal.

no you got it right first lol i dont like natalie

:doh: I will never understand why, if someone doesn't like an actor and/or a character, why come to that thread at all? I don't understand it.

If spoilers are correct, there won't be that much time. It will be Jane, Thor and Loki together a lot. Loki could stir the pot but I hope this film is about solidifying Thor/Jane. They haven't really touched it yet. Their relationship currently is something we've never seen in the comics, when they first met, how they fell for each other. When we first see Jane, she and Thor (Donald) are already head over heels.

I'll never get the Thor/Sif love. Sif fans should want Thor far, far away.

Thor and Jane should get married. I'd really like to see this on the big screen:

JIM89+-+Jane+daydreams+about+Thor.jpg

Dirty boy :cwink:

If spoilers are correct, there won't be that much time. It will be Jane, Thor and Loki together a lot. Loki could stir the pot but I hope this film is about solidifying Thor/Jane. They haven't really touched it yet. Their relationship currently is something we've never seen in the comics, when they first met, how they fell for each other. When we first see Jane, she and Thor (Donald) are already head over heels.

I'll never get the Thor/Sif love. Sif fans should want Thor far, far away.

Dirty boy :cwink:

:woot: No, I just want to see Thor and Jane get married and happy...

Being married to Thor or Jane is not the worst thing.

Being married to Reed Richards is the worst thing. :woot:

Machism+%2528FF+14%2529+2.JPG

a1u5o9.jpg

fantastic+four+sexist+3.jpg

1085p9t.jpg

fantastic+four+sexist+2.jpg

Back to Thor... :cwink:

OMG he's HORRIBLE! Is that real? How can he be a good guy and be that horrible?

Good lord. I will never look at Ioan Gruffudd in Fantatic 4 the same way!

Ah yes...the 60's when domestic abuse against women was just a normal thing.

OMG he's HORRIBLE! Is that real? How can he be a good guy and be that horrible?

Good lord. I will never look at Ioan Gruffudd in Fantatic 4 the same way!

All of it is real, although the second pic is a special case (Reed is trying to get Sue out of a mind control by treating her very rudely).

There is more:

fantastic+four+sexist.jpg

JustLikeAWoman.jpg

RRichardsChauvinist2.jpg

Thor is a much nicer guy... :cwink:

All of it is real, although the second pic is a special case (Reed is trying to get Sue out of a mind control by treating her very rudely).

There is more:

<panels placed in the dustbin of history>

Wow, those panels from Thor you posted look progressive by comparison!

Indeed! :yay:

In a Thor1 deleted scene, the cafe owner shrugs and says, "She could do worse." Who knew Izzy was a Fantastic Four fan??

well Thor did hit Sif in the Simonson run too, but also special case, he was crazy with love for Lorelei due to a spell, and I think Sif was attacking her as well (can't recall for sure on that part). Sif was pretty PO about it! She's definitely one to hold a grudge!

Well, knowing that, I'm less bothered by that then what I see in these panels here with Reed and Susan. Sheesh. It's called mental abuse. If I were her brother I'd shoot flames up his ***! I now feel bad as I found Susan annoying in the films, and liked Reed better. Certainly had I read the comics beforehand that would not have been the case! :cmad:

Just goes to show, they can write or rewrite any way they want to fit the films and modernize the relationships. And thank goodness for that!!!

well Thor did hit Sif in the Simonson run too, but also special case, he was crazy with love for Lorelei due to a spell, and I think Sif was attacking her as well (can't recall for sure on that part). Sif was pretty PO about it! She's definitely one to hold a grudge!

I think Sif confronted Lorelei about this love potion business and struck her. Lorelei said something like, "Thor, she hurt me! Hurt her back!"

And I have to say, I'm with Sif on being hesitant about putting the incident behind her.

Well, knowing that, I'm less bothered by that then what I see in these panels here with Reed and Susan. Sheesh. It's called mental abuse. If I were her brother I'd shoot flames up his ***! I now feel bad as I found Susan annoying in the films, and liked Reed better. Certainly had I read the comics beforehand that would not have been the case! :cmad:

Just goes to show, they can write or rewrite any way they want to fit the films and modernize the relationships. And thank goodness for that!!!

I'm reading JMS' _Thor Omnibus_ right now. It starts with two issues from the Fantastic Four (because of some plot tie-ins). FWIW, Reed and Sue are not depicted as they are in the panels Incredible Hans posted. Now, aside from one panel where they are holding hands, they are not particularly tender toward one another (though to be fair, fighting Doom kind of puts a damper on things.) But it's certainly not the mental abuse situation of these earlier panels.

So yes, they can and have improved treatment of characters. And I agree, thank goodness for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"