The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by CBMovie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

And assuming that is an easy way of avoiding the flaws with Jane. That is why I brought up Lois with you. Lois is a mortal character, and I adore her. That she spent decades with Clark was great to me, because she is a great character. Jane isn't. Now Sif might not be considered a great character by many, and I'd agree she has been written very unevenly (though her JIM run has been utterly fantastic and has really expanded on the character, just like Loki's run), but she has always had more to her then Jane.

I like Superman and Wonder Woman together, but I also know I love when Clark is pining for his one true love.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

I enjoy the change of pace, I know it won't last, but I enjoy it now. I liked Natalie Portman in Thor so I want more of her. I really liked Alexander, so I want Sif to have a larger role, just not necessarily as a love interest.

3. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Fair enough, I had no issue with how Jane was written or how Natalie played her, and I honestly don't get the big deal over Sif, at least this movie version. I have no real point of reference as regards the comics as I don't read Thor. I'm not saying Sif was bad but I didn't see anything from the character in the movie that was so amazing without comic knowledge driving the fanaticism some have in wanting Jane dead so Thor and Sif can be together.

4. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I wish I was still reading the books, if as some say Sif is getting a spotlight in JiM. I have always liked her with Thor just because it makes more sense, to me anyway, that those 2 asgardian kids would be an ideal couple. That being said I understand the fascination of those that like Thor/Jane over Thor/Sif, as well as acknowledging that the Thor/Jane dynamic lends itself to more soap opera styled melodrama.

I will add that my former soap opera watching grandma watched Thor with me recently and she asked me what the relationship with Thor and Sif was. After I told her what it was like in the comics she said something I have heard a lot since I was young: "Two woman, one man... That's always trouble." If my grandmother born in 1932 could pick up on Sif's feelings for Thor with no prior knowledge then I would say most of the GA got it too.

5. Loki882

I REALLY hope that they don't overdue the Sif is jealous of Jane thing. Sif is one of the better female characters that have appeared in CB films, so I'd hate to see her turned into a jealous *****.

6. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

I really think that one scene where Sif turns her head with that look was more a look at LOKI, not Jane. We don't know who she's looking at

7. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

What struck me about Thor's relationships in the first movie was that Hemsworth and Portman obviously had great onscreen chemistry, whereas that was lacking with Alexander. In the Thor/Jane scenes the attraction was obvious and the two sparked when they were together. That wasn't apparent with Sif.

8. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

To be fair, Jamie was never given the chance to show her interest. There was ONE look toward the end.

9. KRYPTON INC.

Yep. If there is attraction present it is mostly one sided at the moment in MCU Asgard. I would go so far as to say MCU Sif is very much in love with Thor but she has been friendzoned as it were. You see how adamant she was when talking to King Loki about bringing back Thor. The others have to actually restrain her.

VARTHA is right in pointing out there were not a lot of chances to expand on Sif and Thor's relationship, but I think Alexander gave a good impression as to what Sif feels for the Prince of Asgard throughout the film, and I don't think I am alone in thinking that. So many assumed that "the look" in the teaser is an indicator of her feelings about the Thor/Jane relationship. It may be it has nothing to do with that situation. But it is a testament to Alexander doing a lot with a little sceentime in the first film that so many are seeing a deep meaning to such a fleeting look.

10. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

I think once Thor returned to Asgard a changed god, Sif began to see something she hadn't noticed before in Thor that she liked.
    See the problem with Sif is, she's a tomboy through and through. Not just a warrior maiden, because Valkyrie behaves in a slightly different manner.

EDIT: those of you NOT reading the Journey into Mystery Sif stories are missing some fun stuff. I can TOTALY see Jamie doing a lot of the parts in the books.

11. DarthSkywalker

The cancellation of Sif's Journey into Mystery is right up there with the cancellation of The Mighty Avenger and the chasing off of JMS off the main book so they could do another event. Marvel really hates good Asgardian books.

And I completely agree Vartha. I can totally see Jaimie being that Sif.

12. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Wait they CANCLED JIM?
    Edit: dangit found the IGN article

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. LadyGeek

LadyGeek Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen in Thor--without comic book history in my background--I'm not thrilled with either of the ladies, sorry if that offends anyone. I haven't seen Jaimie Alexander in anything else but Thor. I wanted to like her character, but her voice grated on me. The actress has a cute voice, but her Asgardian "accent" was the worst of the cast, I thought, and I found it distracting. She sounded like a very contemporary and perky American woman. Hope she got more voice work for Dark World.

As for Portman's Jane--eh. I am probably in the minority, but I think Portman is a strong actress with the right material (Black Swan, The Professional), but a mediocre actress with weak material (Star Wars, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, Thor the first). Some performers can do well enough even with poor parts, but I don't think Portman can. I'm hoping they've given her a stronger role in Dark World, but considering she has her mouth open (shock, fear, confusion, they all look the same) in every scene or image I've seen so far, I'm doubtful.

I think I would have preferred Jaimie playing Thor's main love interest, but with her cast as a spunky, contemporary Jane!

14. Loki882

She didn't sound American at all to be. Her accent was closer to being British than American. Let's see, Jane gets taken to a godly realm, is attacked/possessed by evil elves, and has to deal with Loki, her facial expressions seem perfectly appropriate to me.

15. Aging Fangirl

Aging Fangirl slow slog to 1000 posts

I'm inclined to agree with you here. I thought the Portman/Thor romance was the weakest part of the movie. If it has to be, I'm hoping for a more believable connection this go round.

As for the mouth open thing, once again I'm hoping that this has more to do with marketing (those guys LOVE that look) and less to do with her actual performance. Perhaps Alan Taylor was able to wrangle something out of her. I'll have to reserve judgment until I see the movie.

16. LadyGeek

LadyGeek Well-Known Member

I should clarify one thing that I posted earlier. I don't think Sif sounded American in Thor, but to my ear her accent sounded like the way Americans talk when they try to sound British. (Not as bad as Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, though!)

Granted, it's hard to sound British when the film you're in has many British actors, all with beautiful voices. And Chris Hemsworth is wonderful with accents, I think. I love the way he voices Thor.

17. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

See so many people see that, but I don't understand why. She'd been in one movie and had a pretty small role. To me, that doesn't seem like enough to determine if she's one of the best characters. To me, she's just another character in the movie, until I see more of her to determine if I think she's one of the better females.

18. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Exactly how I felt, I guess we'll have to start Team Jane! :D

19. DarthSkywalker

I am sorry to have to deliver such crappy news. :csad:

20. Loki882

Sif was a badass with a take no BS personality. She wasn't reduced to a love interest or written as helpless. It is sad that that alone is an accomplishment, but it is. Sif and Thor didn't have any scenes that could build romantic chemistry. They had some fun buddy scenes together. I love both women, you don't need to denigrate one to make the other look good.

21. KRYPTON INC.

I have watched the first film a few times with friends and family, and every time they always ask if Sif has a thing for Thor. Alexander did a great job, methinks, in having that aspect of Sif shine through given the economic way the story in the first movie was told.

Let me just say that I also liked Jane quite a bit. Let's not pretend that the version from the comics is this rich and fan favorite character. I think there is a reason Lee himself decided to add Sif into the Marvel Universe. In the film though, I think it worked that this brilliant and obviously driven scientist acts all flummoxed around this charming yet rough around the edges he-man. He showed he was attracted to her brains and her personality. What woman wouldn't be bowled over?

22. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

It's not your fault, it just makes me angry that EVERY TIME Marvel does some major crossover a Thor Related book gets effected in a bad way.

23. DarthSkywalker

Yep. It is infuriating. The best Marvel books are those that are self-contained. JIM, God of Thunder, Hawkeye, Captain America, Young Avengers. And it feels like there is a countdown until they ruin them all with some ridiculous crossover event.

For the first time I can remember, Asgard was rocking it in three separate books. JIM, Young Avengers and God of Thunder. Now we are down to two and chances are they are going to ruin young Loki soon enough. And sooner rather then later, they will mess with God of Thunder because it must be apart of a major crossover.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  24. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

This. Hell, I hope they kill her off lol

25. KRYPTON INC.

C'mon son! Haven't we had enough bad acting from Hayden Christensen? :word: