The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Besides, I REALLY don't want to endure yet another "can a human woman have a god's child" debate. They've been having that debate with Superman and Lois Lane for decades.

Sombra! lol Only a handful of characters have proven worthy of lifting Mjolnir. Beta Ray bill, who's bill, and Captain America. Jane foster is not worthy :cwink:

616 Jane Foster has never tried!

Besides, I REALLY don't want to endure yet another "can a human woman have a god's child" debate. They've been having that debate with Superman and Lois Lane for decades.

Where do you think Herc came from? Perseus? Theseus?

Its ancient myth. Its OK.

616 Jane Foster has never tried!

Where do you think Herc came from? Perseus? Theseus?

Its ancient myth. Its OK.
Thor from Marvel comics is NOT the same as mythological Thor, so there are different rules. Also, this is the movies, so different rules from the comics as well.

Thor from Marvel comics is NOT the same as mythological Thor, so there are different rules. Also, this is the movies, so different rules from the comics as well.

I'm aware of that. But Herc is in the comics. His mother was human. Loki has a kid with a human in the comics.

They aren't going to do that in the movies. They don't have time for that.

No but the point stands. We're talking about having that debate in the movie, there is no debate to be had.

thor-the-dark-world-jane-foster-poster-610x905.jpg

I REALLY like her Asgardian outfit in this film.

You can see from this picture alone she will one day be Queen of Asgard...

She got brass, that's for sure. She slapped Loki.

You know, I do hope that this film really establishes as to why Thor and Jane are so attached together because if we go by everything we know of now, their feelings are currently just based off their attraction towards each other, heightened perhaps by the fact that they never got a chance to take off and see what more there was for 2 years after they met each other.

Give this relationship some substance and not just show it as a relationship where two people like each other because the other person just so happens to be attractive, etc.

You know, I do hope that this film really establishes as to why Thor and Jane are so attached together because if we go by everything we know of now, their feelings are currently just based off their attraction towards each other, heightened perhaps by the fact that they never got a chance to take off and see what more there was for 2 years after they met each other.

Give this relationship some substance and not just show it as a relationship where two people like each other because the other person just so happens to be attractive, etc.

I agree and I do think we will see that. But attraction is where it starts and they made a meaningful connection in a short period of time. They wanted more time to grow it, and then super hero stuff intervened. My theory is that the J/T kiss where he is wearing the black shirt and ponytail is the end of the movie. I don't think they get separated this time. I think we see them share whatever happens on asgard, and end the film knowing they are together on Earth. Feelings are what they are and you can't really control how fast they develop or flee. One of the great mysteries of life I guess. But in this film I think we will walk out of it with no doubt they are in love. The romance part of the movie is my least concern. All marketing, TV commercials and trailers point to a strong Jane/Thor relationship and no chance of her dying, lol.

The scene with her and Loki was even funnier in the tv spot. "I'm Loki, you may have heard of me" and she just decks him.

Thor is attached to Jane because being banished to Earth was a punishment before he met her. She helped Earth become a place that Thor not only appreciates, but also loves. She is also part of the reason he became worthy to lift Mjolnir once again. She helped him learn humanity.

Jane is attached to Thor because he's a being from another world. Thor is her research personified. Any normal person would be fascinated by Thor, but for someone like Jane who's essentially a social reject who believes in beings from other dimensions. She's not only fascinated by him, but she's elated by his mere existence.

I feel like I'm the only one that has understood this since the first film. Sure it could be fleshed out more, but it has always been "established."

Thor is attached to Jane because being banished to Earth was a punishment before he met her. She helped Earth become a place that Thor not only appreciates, but also loves. She is also part of the reason he became worthy to lift Mjolnir once again. She helped him learn humanity.

Jane is attached to Thor because he's a being from another world. Thor is her research personified. Any normal person would be fascinated by Thor, but for someone like Jane who's essentially a social reject who believes in beings from other dimensions. She's not only fascinated by him, but she's elated by his mere existence.

I feel like I'm the only one that has understood this since the first film. Sure it could be fleshed out more, but it has always been "established."
When exactly did this happen? Thor's appreciation for mankind and the reason he becomes worthy again are directly connected to his relationship with his brother and father.

Everything goes to the moment that Thor believes that his selfish, ill-tempered manner has cost his father's his life.

The reason most wouldn't understand that is because it isn't really there. Thor is kinder and gentler to Jane after that moment, but he would have been so with any other being at that point (shown by the cup and night out drinking) because he has been humbled by what he believes is his father's death.

Odin's entire reason for sending Thor to Earth is to teach him one of the most important aspects of ruling and that is to think how one's actions can effect many others. That is why when he sacrifices himself, not for love but for good of others (many he does not even know), he becomes worthy of Mjolnir again. He becomes his father's worthy successor.

Jane has absolutely no effect on this.

If you look at the Jane and Thor story in the first film she hits him with her car, hits him again, she decides not to help him, helps him, flirts with him, makes out with him and then waits for him. That is their story and it isn't as if there is much bubbling under the surface like Steve and Peggy or Tony and Pepper. It is very generic and why the heart of the story is that of father and his sons.

Last edited:
If the goal was for Jane to be the person that helped Thor in learning “humility” during his time on Earth in his first film, then I don’t think the concept was well executed.

I think the biggest problem for that issue is that they only allowed Thor to stay on Earth for about 3 days. Given that he’s a warrior who’s lived for several centuries, the thought of him suddenly learning humility within three days worth is kind of hard to buy.

Plus, like Darth said, I think him learning humility had more to do with the fact that he thought his father had died and Asgard was now in war with the Frost Giants because of his actions.

So yeah, going back to my original post, I don’t think the MCU has done as great of a job in establishing a great reason as to why Thor would want to be with Jane of all people.

I mean when I think about other comic book couples like MOS’s take on Superman/Clark and Lois, or even couples like Peter/Gwen, Tony/Pepper, and Steve/Peggy, it’s definitely easy to know why the male leads fell for her female counterparts because the female leads were written in a way where they were able to understand the protagonists in ways that no one else could and were there for them when they needed someone the most.

I didn’t get that sense, at least not as strongly, when it came to Thor and Jane.

The Spill.com guys had a humorous take on that "he is banished to Earth, where he learns the error of his ways after getting a look at some of that fine Earth ash" was their exact quote.

So yeah, going back to my original post, I don’t think the MCU has done as great of a job in establishing a great reason as to why Thor would want to be with Jane of all people.

I mean when I think about other comic book couples like MOS’s take on Superman/Clark and Lois, or even couples like Peter/Gwen, Tony/Pepper, and Steve/Peggy, it’s definitely easy to know why the male leads fell for her female counterparts because the female leads were written in a way where they were able to understand the protagonists in ways that no one else could and were there for them when they needed someone the most.

I didn’t get that sense, at least not as strongly, when it came to Thor and Jane.

This is how I see. It's just a personal theory but tell me what do you guys/girls think:

Personally I liked Thor and Jane's relationship in the first movie. People say it's 'love-at-first-sight'-******** but I thought it was quite the contrary.

I'm not sure Thor truly loves Jane as much as he simply cares about her. Even if the former is correct, I always saw his "love" as a feeling that must be taken from an out-of-time perspective in which values are very different. Yes, he asked Heimdall to look after her, but his duties are much more important for him: he didn't waste one second blowing up the Bifrost (knowing he was erasing any known chance to see her again); when Loki invaded Earth, he simply made sure Jane was okay, but the capture of his brother and the retrival of the Tessaract had top priority. Thor appreciates Jane, but even in Thor: The Dark World he returns for her out of a sense of duty: he promised her he would return, so it's his obligation to do so.

Meanwhile, I always saw Jane as someone who doesn't particualry love Thor himself, but what he represents. Imagine you're the wide-eyed astrophysicist, dreaming about worlds beyond the sky and then, one day, this man comes out from the very place you've been dreaming about. It's not that Jane loves Thor as a person, and I'm sure she likes him (well, it's Chris Hemsworth after all) but I believe that she simply worships Thor; just look at her face when hearing stories about Asgard and visiting the place itself in Thor: The Dark World. For Jane Thor is, literally, a God.

Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman both said Thor: The Dark World will explore their relationship with from a more nuanced perspective. Hemsworth directly acknowledged that their characters didn't feel real love for each other at the end of the first film and that this installment would adress that. So yeah, I can't wait.

Last edited:
They will bump uglies in this installment for sure..So the relationship is going to become very serious from this point on.
Thor is not the Love 'Em and Leave 'Em type ...

Thor's appreciation for mankind and the reason he becomes worthy again are directly connected to his relationship with his brother and father.

Jane has absolutely no effect on this.

If the goal was for Jane to be the person that helped Thor in learning “humility” during his time on Earth in his first film, then I don’t think the concept was well executed.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree with both of you. This is something I've understood from the very first time I saw the film.

To say that Jane has "absolutely no effect" is downright disrespectful to the writers. Jane (Along with Selvig and Darcy) were with Thor for his entire stay on Earth. The only thing that Thor did after finding out about Odin's "death" is drink with Selvig and then hang with Jane on the roof. Odin's death had almost nothing to do with it. The reason he becomes worthy again are directly connected to his relationship with humanity. There's a reason that the moment he gets his hammer back is when he sacrifices his life to save Jane and the other people of New Mexico.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree with both of you. This is something I've understood from the very first time I saw the film.

To say that Jane has "absolutely no effect" is downright disrespectful to the writers. Jane (Along with Selvig and Darcy) were with Thor for his entire stay on Earth. The only thing that Thor did after finding out about Odin's "death" is drink with Selvig and then hang with Jane on the roof. Odin's death had almost nothing to do with it. The reason he becomes worthy again are directly connected to his relationship with humanity. There's a reason that the moment he gets his hammer back is when he sacrifices his life to save Jane and the other people of New Mexico.
I am being disrespectful to the writers by watching and understanding the film? :funny:

Lets start with this. Watch Thor. Ok, good. Now we can start. :up:

How long do you think Thor is on Earth? According to you Jane kinda of flirting with Thor over a three day period has a more profound effect on him then the death of his father, a potential war between Asgard and Jotunheim, and his permanent banishment from the realm eternal. From his home.

But I'll give you a chance. What are these moments that show the profound effect that Jane has had on Thor? Where are the scenes that show her having a profound effect on him.... They don't exist.

When Thor approaches the hammer for the first time on Earth, he does so without having learned a thing. He is still acting exactly like he was before his father sent him to Earth to learn a thing or two. Thus he is unworthy. Then Loki shows up and tells Thor that he is responsible for their father's death. There is a clear change in Thor's demeanor and attitude the moment this happens. His voice becomes softer, his tone change, he suddenly becomes more introspective. He starts to finally consider how his actions effect others. Thor's actions have finally caught up to him and it causes him to reflect.

It is no coincidence that Thor starts to consider the feelings of others and treating others with more respect after he believes his father is dead. It isn't after meeting Jane or spending time with her. It is after he is told that his father is dead and that it is his fault. Why else do you think they emphasis that? Why does it come up again with the arrival of Sif and the Warriors Three?

When confronted the very next day by the Destroyer, what Thor does is finally embrace the lesson his father has been trying to teach him. That the actions of father, of a king, effect others. Their family and kingdom. When Thor, angered by the Frost Giant attack on the vault, walks into their kingdom and starts war, he does so without a thought of how it will effect the people of Asgard. That is why Odin sends Thor to Earth.

When Thor sacrifices himself to the Destroyer, it isn't about Earthlings, or Jane, after all he protects Sif and The Warriors Three as well. It is about protecting innocent people. It is about being a man, a father, a king. He knows he can stop it and he does.

And he does it again later, not protecting humans or even Asgardians. He saves the Frost Giants from extinction. Those that he wanted to destroy with his own bare hands.

This had nothing to do with Jane. This had nothing to do with a bit of flirting on the roof. You are applying classic character tropes to the female lead in this classic tale as opposed to observing what actually occurs in the film. The entire lesson Odin is teaching his son is no more crystallized then by Thor believing his irresponsible actions are the reason his father is dead. If anything, Thor has an effect on Jane and how she is.

Last edited:
I reckon the MCU Jane is the unknowing embodiment of Gaia and true mother of Thor (unknown to him) and mistakes her maternal feelings for one of attraction.

Thor, being a guy who is being panted after by a hot chick, responds in kind.

No. I'm not serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"