The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

The fact that Jane is completely incapable of physically harming Thor in any way probably lessens the creep factor to.

Super secret twist in Antman: Janet slaps Hank! :o

No spoilers..loved Jane in this movie. She was strong and smart. Just what I like!

No spoilers..loved Jane in this movie. She was strong and smart. Just what I like!

How would you rate the characterization of her romance with Thor and its development this time around? Their romance was a subject of a lot of criticism from the past film so I'm curious to see if they were able to improve on it.

How would you rate the characterization of her romance with Thor and its development this time around? Their romance was a subject of a lot of criticism from the past film so I'm curious to see if they were able to improve on it.

This is hard and I'm trying not to spoil you. I do think it is better and I would rate it higher than the first movie. Their feelings are made obvious in direct and indirect ways. I do wish there was more time but I wish that of every aspect of the film. Either way, I believe the story that is told and Jane made a mark on Thor. There is no question about that.

I just want to profess my love for Natalie Portman. :hrt: :)

If anyone has a problem with immature posts, I'd advise you to skip this one..

With that said, I'm LOVING that all the Jane/Portman haters are in a tizzy with her role in this movie! Not only does she contribute to the climax, she's together with Thor by the end of the film, and alive as well, much to some peoples great dissatisfaction.

Tons of people just kept *****ing that they hate Jane, want her dead, that Thor should be with Sif, that Portman didn't want to be in this film blah blah blah, but none of that crap mattered. I think people were hoping beyond belief that the rumors of Portman not wanting to be involved with this film were true so they could further justify their wanting her to be killed off or not part of the franchise. But too bad. None of that was true. Not only does she want to be in The Avengers 2 as we learned in an interview, but she looks to continue to be an integral part of the Thor franchise going forward. I love it!

Every time I see Jane hatred, it makes me smile knowing it's frustrating people. Again, I know everything I wrote above is petty and juvenile like you couldn't believe, but after all the lies and vitriol thrown towards the character and actress, it feels gratifying that the haters aren't winning. Maybe they will in the future, but they ain't right now!!

With that ending Thor could not be with Sif.

When it looks like Thor is going to be killed by a collapsing elf ship Jane tries to move him. He's so heavy she can't so instead of getting to safety she covers him with her body and closes her eyes waiting to die.

You marry that girl.

If anyone has a problem with immature posts, I'd advise you to skip this one..

With that said, I'm LOVING that all the Jane/Portman haters are in a tizzy with her role in this movie! Not only does she contribute to the climax, she's together with Thor by the end of the film, and alive as well, much to some peoples great dissatisfaction.

Tons of people just kept *****ing that they hate Jane, want her dead, that Thor should be with Sif, that Portman didn't want to be in this film blah blah blah, but none of that crap mattered. I think people were hoping beyond belief that the rumors of Portman not wanting to be involved with this film were true so they could further justify their wanting her to be killed off or not part of the franchise. But too bad. None of that was true. Not only does she want to be in The Avengers 2 as we learned in an interview, but she looks to continue to be an integral part of the Thor franchise going forward. I love it!

Every time I see Jane hatred, it makes me smile knowing it's frustrating people. Again, I know everything I wrote above is petty and juvenile like you couldn't believe, but after all the lies and vitriol thrown towards the character and actress, it feels gratifying that the haters aren't winning. Maybe they will in the future, but they ain't right now!!

I want Jane gone because she is Thor's only tether to Earth. Earth is only one of the nine realms and I want the film makers to explore them all. Kill off Jane and his connection to Earth.

With that ending Thor could not be with Sif.

When it looks like Thor is going to be killed by a collapsing elf ship Jane tries to move him. He's so heavy she can't so instead of getting to safety she covers him with her body and closes her eyes waiting to die.

You marry that girl.

Yes, you do.:woot:

Well, I know I'm a sucker for spoilers...so if anyone who's seen the film doesn't mind letting me know...could you guys label any particular moments/scenes that you liked featuring Jane and her relationship with Thor?

I want Jane gone because she is Thor's only tether to Earth. Earth is only one of the nine realms and I want the film makers to explore them all. Kill off Jane and his connection to Earth.

Then you don't want Thor. Because Earth is at least 50% of his character.

Then you don't want Thor. Because Earth is at least 50% of his character.

Funny you should say that because Thor's real mother is supposed to be Jord (Gaia/The Earth) so Earth literally is 50% of his character but that doesn't mean he should be tied to Earth in the movie.

Funny you should say that because Thor's real mother is supposed to be Jord (Gaia/The Earth) so Earth literally is 50% of his character but that doesn't mean he should be tied to Earth in the movie.

Thor is also the protector of Earth and of mankind (in both comics and mythology). He should be tied to Earth, although it doesn't mean that everything he does is on Earth and in TDW it was just by chance that things played out there.

Last edited:
If there is no earth connection the movies will likely make less money .
If they killed Jane, they would likely create another human love interest for Thor.

Well, I know I'm a sucker for spoilers...so if anyone who's seen the film doesn't mind letting me know...could you guys label any particular moments/scenes that you liked featuring Jane and her relationship with Thor?

Everything! First everyone and their mother (and I mean I think every character he talks to mentions it) knows Thor is depressed because he misses Jane and is torn between duty to be King and wanting to be a man on Earth with her. When they first see each other and he's trying to tell her how he feels then Darcy interrupts. When she's on Asgard and he's explaining the convergence was romantic/adorable. Also his jealousy shows up for a second. lol The end is pretty great too when she tries to save him but can't move him and throws her body over him. She's rewarded for that. Of course the after credits scene is an awwwwwwwwwwww moment too.

He's the god of thunder, the storm and the common man. You can't just pick and choose.

Many still think Jane will die in Thor 3, I believe she will be crowned as the Queen of Asgard when all is said and done...

Many still think Jane will die in Thor 3, I believe she will be crowned as the Queen of Asgard when all is said and done...

It makes no sense whatsoever for Jane to die in Thor 3. And they're not going to end the trilogy on such a downer, plus the fact that Portman can refuse to return if she saw that the script did a disservice for her Jane character since she isn't signed for the third movie.

Its nothing to take serious at all. Context, context, context. And an angry woman, lol. Seriously, its obvious the difference between when someone hits someone for reasons of control, intimidation, rage, threat versus a tiny girl slapping a guy who didnt take badly at all, lol. Context is key here. She's a grown woman and he's a grown man, lol. She slapped him with no real intent to harm at all, and he knew that.
I agree with this, though I am sick of the women-slapping-men trope, which to me seems SO old-fashioned. Teehee passionate women are so little and feisty and harmless, what firecrackers! At least in this case Jane wouldn't even make a dent in that Asgardian skin, and probably knew it, but I thought the scriptwriters' attempt to give a woman an opinion was pretty hackneyed. I also think the trope is a subtle way of denying that men strike the women they love, by only showing the reverse.

Tyrion_slaps_Joffrey.gif
Mmmm... I could watch that all day....

There's zero indication of that in the MCU. It's okay, we can have different continuities. And "real" vs adoptive parents is a big theme with Loki vs Thor in the MCU so it wouldn't even make good story sense.

A shame Natalie wasn't there at the Thor 2 Premiere ...the red carpet was in serious need of class/elegance after that disaster dress of Jaimie Alexander. Oh well, at least Kat Dennings made up for it. She looked lovely. :hrt:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"