The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Yes we know that, and there's also some contention with the studio over a change of directors or the like. We're not talking about IF she's actually coming back.

Apologies; I misread your last post thinking that you were under the impression that her return for the sequel was still no confirmed.

Apologies; I misread your last post thinking that you were under the impression that her return for the sequel was still no confirmed.

No prob. And again, I would not mind seeing such a lovely lady in any movie, for that matter. :up:

No prob. And again, I would not mind seeing such a lovely lady in any movie, for that matter. :up:

My curious is piqued now Kal; lol, is there any comic book movie that you feel handled its main romance couple properly..or were at least both believable and durable for you to watch and enjoy?haha

My curious is piqued now Kal; lol, is there any comic book movie that you feel handled its main romance couple properly..or were at least both believable and durable for you to watch and enjoy?haha
Like I mentioned Iron Man...especially with those two actors. Certainly Reeve and Kidder, Keaton and Pfeiffer for the most part. I liked Parker/MJ in the first movie, and Logan/Jean Grey in the first two XMens. Really more of a feeling thing than anything else for me.

Like I mentioned Iron Man...especially with those two actors. Certainly Reeve and Kidder, Keaton and Pfeiffer for the most part. I liked Parker/MJ in the first movie, and Logan/Jean Grey in the first two XMens. Really more of a feeling thing than anything else for me.

Cool, and glad to hear.:yay:

As for me; Idk, when it comes to a "love interest" for any hero or heroine in a film, my only gripes comes from if the Love interest is just there for simply being a love interest, and whether that character is a tolerable one.lol

Case in point, I did like the Parker/MJ one in the first one, but after the second and even third film...it became clear that the only thing that Raimi's MJ was known for was being the "it" girl for most of the young male characters in the film and being the damsel in distress that Parker has to save at the climax of each film.

I wouldn't have minded Logan and jean so much if I wasn't such a loyalist to the Scott/Jean romance from the comics.lol, plus I've never been fond of romances that developed at the expense of a good character, let alone if that good character was currently involved with one of the individuals from that said romance.lol

In regards to the MCU films, if anything, I'd say that Steve and Peggy's one have been the best received one from fans and critics that I've seen so far (I could be wrong).

I just hope that this second film is better able to reinforce to larger range of audiences as to what they were trying to do with Jane and Thor in the first film.

For the 'love interest', I think a big part of it is also how they 'flirt' in the story...that's what makes it fun and gives it chemistry. Not just in what they say or what the script sets up, but how you can see and feel it in their behavior...even when they're at odds or not intending to flirt. Just like any movie, really.

Again....it's not about what the character was written to be. You could probably surmise her out to be more essential to the story, on paper, than Paltrow's Potts was to Iron Man. But the latter felt better, they made a cuter and more fun pair, and left something that you really wanted to enjoy watching develop more. I really didn't see Thor having that. Granted, that's a lot to measure up to with those two actors...but even still, Thor's felt pretty obligatory in comparison. Not necessarily terrible, but just there, regardless how important it was supposed to be. On the level of Connelly and Bana in Hulk, even though Thor was a better movie.

That's what makes her replaceable, in that despite the kinds of things you mention...it really wouldn't take much to overcome it with someone else of notable name and appeal. Have the next Thor movie primarily not take place on present Earth. There you go. If no Portman, maybe he and Johannsen's character may start spending a little more extra-mission time together in an otherworldly battle or something. :O But she's Natalie Portman...of course they'll want her back...because she's Natalie Portman.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this, the whole last 2 3rds of the movie concentrated on Thor and Jane, even in the final battle mention of her was what got Thor to fight Loki, nothing he could before that would get Thor to fight him. In my eyes, the character is essential to the sequel even more so than the acctress, but as I despise re-casts and think in this instant it would be a real detriment I want Portman to come back.

we will just have to agree to disagree on this, the whole last 2 3rds of the movie concentrated on thor and jane, even in the final battle mention of her was what got thor to fight loki, nothing he could before that would get thor to fight him. In my eyes, the character is essential to the sequel even more so than the acctress, but as i despise re-casts and think in this instant it would be a real detriment i want portman to come back.

agreed.

I wasn't referring to you specifically just the general false perception going around that nobody liked Jane which is untrue. If we are going to generalise only two groups really didn't like Jane, 1) 'fanboys' more interested in Thor beating things than any characters nevermind a woman who doesn't act like a man or doesn't act for the attraction of men 2) Girls who are angry Thor isn't gay with his own brother or another avenger.

:p

Just curious, but has there ever been a storyline in the comics where Odin and Frigga actually considered on finding a bride, (ala future Queen of Asgard) for Thor or have they always let that side of his life alone and for Thor only to decide on?

The reason why I'm asking is because given Thor's royalty and how many kingdoms have dealt with Kings/Queens going out on the hunt to find suitable partners for their heirs regardless of what their children's thoughts on that matter were at the time.

Just curious, but has there ever been a storyline in the comics where Odin and Frigga actually considered on finding a bride, (ala future Queen of Asgard) for Thor or have they always let that side of his life alone and for Thor only to decide on?

The reason why I'm asking is because given Thor's royalty and how many kingdoms have dealt with Kings/Queens going out on the hunt to find suitable partners for their heirs regardless of what their children's thoughts on that matter were at the time.

Frigga has no say in anything ever.

Odin set him up with Sif after he ditched Jane on earth with amnesia. But to be honest I get the feeling any goddess will do with Odin, no mortals allowed.

I'm just hoping for the Thor/Jane/Sif love triangle in the next picture. To me, it seems the most natural way to go to appease the fans of the comics who want to see Thor with Sif and general fans who loved what they got with Thor and Jane...and want more.

There's no doubt that Hemsworth has chemistry with both ladies.

I'm just hoping for the Thor/Jane/Sif love triangle in the next picture. To me, it seems the most natural way to go to appease the fans of the comics who want to see Thor with Sif and general fans who loved what they got with Thor and Jane...and want more.

You know I've seen a lot of lady fans who would be very upset if they have the two good guy girls fighting over a man.

It also wouldn't be accurate to the comics. For a long time there was the 'either Jane or Sif' mentality and you wouldn't get both. Actually it sort of remains, they interact very little at all. They barely even know each other. The only rivalry I've ever seen in when Sif and Thor went to get Jane out of the runestaff dimension and all Sif's thought bubbles were of her fear that Thor would ditch her for Jane when she got out, which is valid considering he ditched Jane for her when Jane got trapped in the first place but she was a right whiner and she left him at the end of the arc anyway after seeing Jane marry some random guy.

Go with Jane vs Enchantress.

You know I've seen a lot of lady fans who would be very upset if they have the two good guy girls fighting over a man.

It also wouldn't be accurate to the comics. For a long time there was the 'either Jane or Sif' mentality and you wouldn't get both. Actually it sort of remains, they interact very little at all. They barely even know each other. The only rivalry I've ever seen in when Sif and Thor went to get Jane out of the runestaff dimension and all Sif's thought bubbles were of her fear that Thor would ditch her for Jane when she got out, which is valid considering he ditched Jane for her when Jane got trapped in the first place but she was a right whiner and she left him at the end of the arc anyway after seeing Jane marry some random guy.

Go with Jane vs Enchantress.

They're gonna have to figure out something for this sequel because you can't drop Jane...and you have to develop Sif even more. It would be nice if they had a friendly relationship in the sequel, but even that depends on where this sequel takes place...and even that depends on what happens in the Avengers.

This damn Avengers flick is interferring with my new found love of the Thor character and mythos.

They're gonna have to figure out something for this sequel because you can't drop Jane...and you have to develop Sif even more. It would be nice if they had a friendly relationship in the sequel, but even that depends on where this sequel takes place...and even that depends on what happens in the Avengers.

This damn Avengers flick is interferring with my new found love of the Thor character and mythos.
lol It doesn't get any easier as time goes by either lol

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the posters for “Thor” 2 would be like this; just replace Aragorn for Thor, and Eowyn/Arwen for Jane/Sif respectively.lol

69432925.jpg

I would love a poster like that with an ominous villain overshadowing the three....

I need horse!

If Natalie Portman comes back ., Jane is the love interest . Its not even a debate she is far bigger star power who herlps draw in the female audience

This is why I won't be too upset if Portman decided to ditch the franchise later, because I'm also interested in the Thor/Sif relationship and I'd be happy if these can be paired together as love interests. Btw, do we have any news about whether Portman is happy about Marvel's selection of director for Thor 2? I know she's contractually bound to make the sequel but I think it would be much better if she is actually happy doing it than dragging her feet in the process.

If Natalie Portman comes back ., Jane is the love interest . Its not even a debate she is far bigger star power who herlps draw in the female audience

I think we should look at how the high fantasy of Conan went down without any recognisable or respectable face to pull it off. Thor could have fallen into that as well. Thor was on a knife edge as to whether it would do well or not and I think Natalie, Anthony and Marvel's bigger universe is what clinched its success.

Also, remember how sequels do when you start shedding leads from the cast. The audience thinks that if they don't want to make it why should we watch it.

This is why I won't be too upset if Portman decided to ditch the franchise later, because I'm also interested in the Thor/Sif relationship and I'd be happy if these can be paired together as love interests. Btw, do we have any news about whether Portman is happy about Marvel's selection of director for Thor 2? I know she's contractually bound to make the sequel but I think it would be much better if she is actually happy doing it than dragging her feet in the process.

I'd rather Marvel had a definite end point with Thor. It seems to be a 'done in 3' franchise with Hemmy doing Avengers over time. With all the gods aging, Natalie and Anthony wanting to do a variety of projects and the unknowns getting more offers I think it would be best to end at three with Thor crowned King, preferably for me with Jane. I don't see the sense in starting to build up one relationship and dropping it for another half way through. Or dropping the female lead for one that was second to last (out of the main characters) in the credits.

Last edited:
I hope Natalie's cooled down a lot now, and maybe she likes what Alan Taylor has in store for Thor 2. She's probably a little sore over the Jenkins thing, but then again who wouldn't?

And she looked stunning at the Golden Globes. I'm glad she didn't go the typical Hollywood starlet route and put on a slinky black dress.

I hope Natalie's cooled down a lot now, and maybe she likes what Alan Taylor has in store for Thor 2. She's probably a little sore over the Jenkins thing, but then again who wouldn't?

And she looked stunning at the Golden Globes. I'm glad she didn't go the typical Hollywood starlet route and put on a slinky black dress.

Sigh..if she and Marvel were on the BEST of terms..I'd hope to see a cameo in the Avengers.haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"