The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

This is why I won't be too upset if Portman decided to ditch the franchise later, because I'm also interested in the Thor/Sif relationship and I'd be happy if these can be paired together as love interests.

Yap. Just look at Thor v.1 136 and do the same thing: Thor takes Jane to Asgard, where Odin grants her godhood. In the same time some enemy (it even could be trolls with Ulik, why the Hell not) makes an attack. Jane finds it to much for her and asks Odin to take away the godhood and return her to earth, which he does. Heartbroken Thor goes into battle only to find himself back to back with fair Sif. Romance ensues.
I cheered loudly when that happened in comics, I will cheer (not so loudly so not to disturb my neigbours at cinema) if they do so in Thor 2. Or Thor 3.

Heck, at the moment, I'm very curious to see as to whether we'll even hear about her character in "The Avengers". Given the fact that 'Thor' had ended with Thor pining after Jane in hopes of reuniting with her someday, it would seem kind of strange that after a 2 year separation that he doesn't at least mention her or his desire towards wanting to see her.

Not that I'm trying to say or insinuate that she should be his priority or make her role larger than what it should be. It's just a plot point that I think should be tackled before Thor Returns back to Asgard after the events of "The Avengers" since at the moment, we know that Portman won't be in "The Avengers".

Heck, at the moment, I'm very curious to see as to whether we'll even hear about her character in "The Avengers". Given the fact that 'Thor' had ended with Thor pining after Jane in hopes of reuniting with her someday, it would seem kind of strange that after a 2 year separation that he doesn't at least mention her or his desire towards wanting to see her.

Not that I'm trying to say or insinuate that she should be his priority or make her role larger than what it should be. It's just a plot point that I think should be tackled before Thor Returns back to Asgard after the events of "The Avengers" since at the moment, we know that Portman won't be in "The Avengers".

Freaking money. This is one of the minor/major problems I'm having with the Avengers film.

How can Thor be on Earth and the first thing on his mind isn't to seek out Jane? Hell, for all he knows Loki's on Earth going after Jane. Why wouldn't he check on her?

How they deal with the Jane and Thor situation in the Avengers isn't going to be a deal breaker for me...but it'll be close.

It's the same with Rhodey and why he isn't apart of the Avengers as well. Logically, considering what we've seen in both Iron Man films, it makes no sense that Rhodey isn't apart of it as well.

Freaking money. This is one of the minor/major problems I'm having with the Avengers film.

How can Thor be on Earth and the first thing on his mind isn't to seek out Jane? Hell, for all he knows Loki's on Earth going after Jane. Why wouldn't he check on her?

How they deal with the Jane and Thor situation in the Avengers isn't going to be a deal breaker for me...but it'll be close.

It's the same with Rhodey and why he isn't apart of the Avengers as well. Logically, considering what we've seen in both Iron Man films, it makes no sense that Rhodey isn't apart of it as well.

I think they can make it work. What I think will happen is after they created the worm hole to transport Thor to Midgard/Earth, they can have Thor asking the whereabout of Jane right away, but they told him that they need him urgently so he has to come with them to Helicarrier. His curiosity got the best of him, so he went with them and later discovered that his brother Loki is behind the attacks, and as his brother he felt duty-bound to stop him so he agreed to join The Avengers. He still wanted to be with Jane, but family matter takes precedence and he reasoned that he can still find her later, now that they've established the worm hole and he can travel between the two realms as often as he pleases.

How's that?

I think they can make it work. What I think will happen is after they created the worm hole to transport Thor to Midgard/Earth, they can have Thor asking the whereabout of Jane right away, but they told him that they need him urgently so he has to come with them to Helicarrier. His curiosity got the best of him, so he went with them and later discovered that his brother Loki is behind the attacks, and as his brother he felt duty-bound to stop him so he agreed to join The Avengers. He still wanted to be with Jane, but family matter takes precedence and he reasoned that he can still find her later, now that they've established the worm hole and he can travel between the two realms as often as he pleases.

How's that?

That could work well.

I wouldn't be surprised if for "Thor 2", they mention on how Jane heard about Thor's adventure on Earth with the Avengers through news reports and from Erik Selvig, and how he's planning to return much sooner for sure this time around to see her once he takes Loki back to Asgard.

How's that?

"they told him that they need him urgently so he has to come with them to Helicarrier..."

...so what? Thor is a frickin' god; you think he cares if a bunch of mortals he doesn't know summons him and says they need his help urgently? The only one out of the bunch he'd even recognize is Son of Coul, and he's not a big enough buddy to outweigh Thor's need to reconnect with the love of his life.

Jane needs to be physically predisposed or something. Maybe Loki captures her, or banishes her to the outer planes, or whatever. There's just no logical excuse to ignore her in the Avengers movie.

"they told him that they need him urgently so he has to come with them to Helicarrier..."

...so what? Thor is a frickin' god; you think he cares if a bunch of mortals he doesn't know summons him and says they need his help urgently? The only one out of the bunch he'd even recognize is Son of Coul, and he's not a big enough buddy to outweigh Thor's need to reconnect with the love of his life.

Jane needs to be physically predisposed or something. Maybe Loki captures her, or banishes her to the outer planes, or whatever. There's just no logical excuse to ignore her in the Avengers movie.

It's possible that Thor learns about Loki's survival either before the events of "The Avengers" or immediately upon his arrival, and hence why he chooses to go aboard with SHIELD first since they would have been dealing with Loki prior to his (Thor) arrival back on Earth.

When Thor is reunited with Erik Selvig first, Thor could ask him about Jane and how she's doing, to which Erik can easily fill both Thor and the audience in.

Also, Thor might be worried that if he goes to see Jane now that Loki may use that against him and actively target Jane in order to hurt him.

Plus, by the end of his own film, Thor did learn that he had to put his own personal feelings aside for the greater good.

I think, just as long as his desire to see Jane is addressed and explained as to why he doesn't take the time to see her while on Earth, then it'll be somewhat alright.

It's possible that Thor learns about Loki's survival either before the events of "The Avengers" or immediately upon his arrival, and hence why he chooses to go aboard with SHIELD first since they would have been dealing with Loki prior to his (Thor) arrival back on Earth.

When Thor is reunited with Erik Selvig first, Thor could ask him about Jane and how she's doing, to which Erik can easily fill both Thor and the audience in.

Also, Thor might be worried that if he goes to see Jane now that Loki may use that against him and actively target Jane in order to hurt him.

Plus, by the end of his own film, Thor did learn that he had to put his own personal feelings aside for the greater good.

I think, just as long as his desire to see Jane is addressed and explained as to why he doesn't take the time to see her while on Earth, then it'll be somewhat alright.

I like that explanation better. If Selvig convinces Thor that going to see her would put Jane's life in jeopardy, that would be a fairly reasonable explanation for her absence in this movie.

Yap. Just look at Thor v.1 136 and do the same thing: Thor takes Jane to Asgard, where Odin grants her godhood. In the same time some enemy (it even could be trolls with Ulik, why the Hell not) makes an attack. Jane finds it to much for her and asks Odin to take away the godhood and return her to earth, which he does. Heartbroken Thor goes into battle only to find himself back to back with fair Sif. Romance ensues.
I cheered loudly when that happened in comics, I will cheer (not so loudly so not to disturb my neigbours at cinema) if they do so in Thor 2. Or Thor 3.

No offence but I'm not sure you read that comic properly. Jane was infuriated at the end, Odin set an untrained nurse who had been a god for two minutes against a Fear Lord with every intention of her failing. Later issues show he had recalled Sif even before Jane arrived so he could set Thor up with her. Odin is a grand puppetmaster who cares for none but his own.

You are not meant to be cheering during that issue, its a tragedy as you watch a character who you have been reading for years get screwed over and Thor sent off with a stranger *****.

Last edited:
Well, if Marvel was okay with how the X-Men Film Series favored the Jean Grey and Wolverine relationship/pairing over the traditional Cyclops/Jean Grey one, then I guess if the filmmakers see it as such, they'll be able to forego the romantic pairing of Sif/Thor in the comics, in favor of giving Jane a more happier ending with Thor in the MCU.

Well, if Marvel was okay with how the X-Men Film Series favored the Jean Grey and Wolverine relationship/pairing over the traditional Cyclops/Jean Grey one, then I guess if the filmmakers see it as such, they'll be able to forego the romantic pairing of Sif/Thor in the comics, in favor of giving Jane a more happier ending with Thor in the MCU.

I doubt Marvel had nearly as much say-so in Singer's X-Men films. There doesn't appear to be much they could do when he mangled the hell out of canon time and again. But whenever canon gets ignored/twisted in Marvel Studios films, the Bullpen have no one to blame but themselves.

She'll fit it in...unless a big shoe is about to drop, in terms of her involvement in the sequel.

Yeah; unless something MAJOR went down with her contract, she'll still be in Thor 2 because she was one of the only three people that Marvel Confirmed that would be returning for the sequel.

Portman has agreed to join the casts of two back-to-back Terrence Malick films, Knight of the Cups and Lawless. "Cups" shoots this summer, while "Lawless" starts in the fall.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nat...es-back-to-back-terrence-malick-films-berlin/

No mention of Thor 2, but if her roles are primarily supporting -- she could possibly squeeze in the sequel.

I dunno....I don't see how she spends pretty much the whole second half of 2012 filming with Malick and finds time to "squeeze in" Thor 2. Do we know when principal photography starts on Thor 2?

It's supposed to start production this summer in London, but that could change. It might not start until late fall, considering the November 2013 release.

To be honest, even the most ardent Thor fans would say his history is 50/50 at best and has so much untapped potential that has been stunted by bad decision after bad decision. If they change some stuff for the better I doubt many would cry especially as Sif has already had a personality upgrade.

It's supposed to start production this summer in London, but that could change. It might not start until late fall, considering the November 2013 release.

Spring it says here http://www.cinemasmash.com/thor-2/ Maybe a May start in London with her other summer film being in August? Thor took 4-5 months and Jane probably won't be in the big action set pieces that take ages to film anyway.

I can see Marvel completely messing this up. I don't trust them with Jane. She is constantly messed up in favour of Sif on the page, they could do it on screen too. :cmad:

Its great to see her going back to work though.

Last edited:
Spring it says here http://www.cinemasmash.com/thor-2/ Maybe a May start in London with her other summer film being in August? Thor took 4-5 months and Jane probably won't be in the big action set pieces that take ages to film anyway.

That's a possible scenario. I'm looking at Portman's IMDB profile and her future projects listed as being "in development" finally lists Thor 2. She didn't have Thor 2 on her profile at all a few weeks ago, so I think she's come around to Alan Taylor and his vision for the film.

But remember when Marvel Studios announced The Avengers would film with Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle reprising their roles? Cheadle ended up not being in the film at all... I was worried Portman would end up being omitted from Thor 2 after that hullabaloo with Patty Jenkins showed up on THR.

That's a possible scenario. I'm looking at Portman's IMDB profile and her future projects listed as being "in development" finally lists Thor 2. She didn't have Thor 2 on her profile at all a few weeks ago, so I think she's come around to Alan Taylor and his vision for the film.

But remember when Marvel Studios announced The Avengers would film with Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle reprising their roles? Cheadle ended up not being in the film at all... I was worried Portman would end up being omitted from Thor 2 after that hullabaloo with Patty Jenkins showed up on THR.

To be fair: IMDB is edited by fans, not by anyone remotely "official."

Its not there anymore either. Just the two new projects

Its not there anymore either. Just the two new projects

I've checked it again. Thor 2 is still listed under Portman's "projects under development." (Note that it's not in pre-production, look to the right to see the 'development' list.)

I know IMDB is usually like Wikipedia, but for big name actors their agents usually can control the titles listed under their clients as 'in development.'

I'm surprised that no one has created somewhat of a parody of the last scene in Thor, where they could involve a parody version of Thor going up to Heimdell during one day, and asking him to check up on Jane to see what's going on with her..only to have him say that he sees her doing something that isn't Thor related.lol

For example:

Thor: Can you see her?

Heimdell: Yes...

Thor: How is she?

Heimdell: She's searching for you....

Heimdell: She's trying brushing her teeth right now...

Heimdell: She's going to the bathroom and...................Damn you odinson!!!!

I read that the director is focusing on the romance of Thor and Jane in the sequel:) He stated they are the main focal point besides him visiting other planets...she will be there with him. So I believe they are sticking to the romance of Jane and Thor and no mention of Sif..

Thats good news!

But I'm still not sure about the November release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"