The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by CBMovie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

So they are going to ignore the source material. That's nice. :o

2. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

If they're not going to explore the Thor/Sif relationship and just focus on Thor/Jane why did they not release the deleted Thor/Sif scenes from the first movie.

3. DarthSkywalker

Because they hate me. :o

4. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

There's nothing wrong with focusing on Jane in the movies, since that character is a whole different Jane Foster than the one in the comics. You can tell differen types of stories with her, take her to other places, where Comic Jane never was.
    In a way, it's like how they used Pepper in the Iron Man movies (and TA), Movie Pepper will never settle with Happy (not as long GP is playing her and RDJ is IM, but maybe in other incarnations) and Movie Jane is here to be remodelled as a working romantic interest for Thor.
    This might change the dynamic betwen Thor and Sif, I agree. But let's just see where this dynamic goes now under this changed circumstances, before we scream and moan, because it's not perfectly accurate with the storylines and personalities from the 60ies.
    So far, MS has done a decent job. In fact, they have done so well, translating these books to a working, breathing Movie Universe that I trust them to do the right thing with every decision they have in store for Phase II.
    (until they cast Megan Fox and Eddie Murphy as Enchantress and Executioner)

5. 04nbod

04nbod I need to debrief you

What source material are you reading?

Sif is nothing but a consolation prize! :o:oldrazz:

Actually one of my main problems is that they tried to update swooning 60s Jane and pretty much ignore 90's-present Jane. I think Earth's Mightiest Heroes shows us that the closest you stick to comic Jane the better you get. Thor's adoration of her there is obvious because of what she does. She also have the Foster sense of humour in that series too. Jane was always the working love interest. Her and Thor have a dramatic, epic story with character tension everywhere. Its one of Marvel's best but sadly abandoned. You saw how the industry went nuts with praise for it when it was the centre of The Mighty Avenger and that is a book that didn't even hit its stride, that was a prelude to the sweeping story.

I just don't think Thor/Sif has ever been done well. Especially for Sif who just becomes this weak, whining wreck about him. Its one of the fun dynamics though, Sif is physically strong and personally weak. Jane is personally strong and physically weak. Marvel has tortured Jane, heck Simonson killed her for an issue just to make Thor cry.

I wonder, what stories do you guys think will be so much better with Sif? Because right now all I can think of is comic Sif who just stabs things, looks pretty and complains Thor doesn't love her enough. Can you think of a great love story where the characters obviously have a lot in common?

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. DarthSkywalker

Hey, I am a more modern and Simonson Thor guy. I just want Thor to be with his true love. It is like watching a Superman trilogy where he ignores Lois, even if the other woman is Miss Lang. Doesn't sit right with me.

7. 04nbod

You do know that Jane Foster was based on Lois like Thor was based on Superman? Sif would be Lana, the childhood interest who doesn't appear until a lot later. To me, its like Thor hasn't had 'his Lois' in decades and that is very sad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. DarthSkywalker

Character archetypes are one thing. She maybe a more Lois like character, that doesn't mean she is what Lois is to Superman. Sif is to Thor, what Lois is to Superman. For some their childhood love is their great and true love. Like in Thor's case.

9. 04nbod

But Thor's childhood affection for Sif has never been shown as a 'great love' on his part. When we first meet Sif they haven't even seen each other for a long time and Sif thinks he will have forgotten her. In Son of Asgard Sif feels she has to manipulate Thor to get him to want her like she wants him. Its kind of the same as it is in the contemporary 616 where Thor and Sif don't really match. He wants to be on Earth, she doesn't understand it and wants him to go back to Asgard forever. Thor doesn't really seem satisfied with her anyway, if its not Jane its someone else like the whole Zephyr relationship or Enchantress. Its like Sif is Thor's backup and that is unfair to her and makes her seem pathetic as she waits for this guy that will never come through. Its no great love, its no great story, its just ....there. I can't think of a memorable story with it. They have a lot in common and they knew each other as kids, that makes it seem logical but it that doesn't make it interesting or epic.

Can you say that you have ever read Thor so determined to be with someone as he was to be with Jane? It still baffles me how Stan thought he could get away with showing him 'give up'. Its probably Stan Lee's biggest writing mess up at Marvel.

10. DarthSkywalker

I remember Ragnarok and the return from Ragnarok. I know how Thor feels for Sif. The reason they aren't together most of the time or fighting is the need for conflict and to keep Thor warring. Hence why their separations feel so annoying and artificial.

You say it isn't interesting or epic. While I don't agree, say I did. That doesn't change Thor's true affections.

11. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I wonder if they'll reference or make not on how Jane learned of Thor's appearance on Earth by watching the newscast of his heroics in NYC? In any case, I'm glad that she was referenced in TA.

12. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

My opinion. No Jane. No Natalie. I don't want to see any love interest thrown into the movie. I just want Thor, and Thor only, going through out the realms. I particularly though Portman was awkwardly annoying in Thor. To the point I found it difficult to watch the scenes with her in it. IF there will be a love interest, make Sif. To be blatant, I don't want Portman, or Jane Foster in anymore of the Thor movies. Even though that won't be the case, unfortunately

*sigh

13. herolee10

Well personally, I can understand the issues that fans had with the usage of Natalie's character in "Thor", let alone of their fear of the potential that Jane's involvement in this film could be detrimental in some ways like how some love interest angles have been for other superhero films.

I'd argue that if Jane is written better this time with a purpose outside of her relationship with Thor that helps serve the plot, then I'd welcome her to the story.

If anything, this film could serve just as a closure for her character in the MCU IF the producers believe that she has no more purpose in Thor's journey, but as far as we were told (despite on it perhaps not coming off as clear in the actual film.lol) Jane is supposed to represent one of Thor's closest ties to Earth apparently.

14. Lady Marion

Lady Marion It's all in the swing

Honestly I don't have much issues with Jane in Thor. I find her really cute how she is drool over Thor and her confused reaction when he shows up in her caravan. A little love story by the way.

I think they will develop the lovestory because Jane had a much bigger role in the comics. Although I have no idea right now how it matches in a storyline within the other realms.

I see it similar as jaqua99, I don't need a big love story, even less a love triangle or a damsel in distress. All I wanna see is Thor in action with an epic story behind.

15. PokeJ

PokeJ Well-Known Member

That's the one thing I enjoyed about The Avengers. No forced love story to drag down the movie. The Avengers showed you can have a kick butt movie without having the Soap-Opera love stories in it.

16. TTFN

TTFN Well-Known Member

Which wouldn't work with the solo movies. The reason it worked in TA is because there were so many characters and so much going on you didn't have time (and even then there are those that see things that just aren't there).

That's not the case in the solo flicks. Plus you don't want to alienate the part of your audience that likes that dynamic and shudders at the proposed alternatives that turn bromances into much, much more...

17. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Exactly.
    'Nuff said. :cwink:

18. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I never read Thor comics so I have no horse in "whose his true love" race. However, after the ending of Thor, there was no way that Jane could not play a large role in the sequel. She had to come back and hopefully be better written. However, I know Natalie Portman is frustrated with MS, so maybe they'll give her and Thor a tearful and final goodbye in this movie so that Ms. Portman can leave the franchise and Thor can be with Sif in future movies.

19. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

20. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I don't know how "frustrated" Natalie is with MS, though....we know she was upset when they let Patty Jenkins walk from Thor 2, but the parting with Jenkins was amicable, and there's been no indication that Natalie's on the outs with Marvel or with new director Alan Taylor.

21. herolee10

And I heard from one of the interviews that when Chris and Natalie had gone in for a meeting with Alan and co. to discuss the sequel that Natalie walked out pleased with what she heard and what was discussed regarding the sequel.

22. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

She has a great sense of humor. She needs to do more comedies, as she was a bright spot in Your Highness. She just makes me smile.

Phew. Maybe she's a fan of Game of Thrones too? :woot:

23. herolee10

From the sounds of the latest info, it just keeps adding more to the belief that the film will be also focusing in on deepening the relationship between Thor and Jane, and hopefully, making it into something that more people can buy as believable and that's something more than a "one night stand" contender between the two.lol

24. 04nbod

Jane did have a story outside of Thor in Thor 1, Thor interrupted her story. She was doing scientific research that would change the MU. In the Avengers we are told shes taking other jobs and not working solely on getting Thor back. She's the most independent love interest in a superhero movie ever now I think about it.

It doesn't appear that the creators care about Thor's tie to Earth and if they are intent on showcasing the universe Jane will have to stick around to even symbolically tie Thor back to Earth. Without Jane, Thor has no reason to be there.

I found this on Tumblr, so cute

[​IMG]

25. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

I think Jane's role in Thor was important, in that she helped Thor understand Midgard and her relationship with him was the reason why he became fond of Earth and its well-being. What that said, her character could've written even better, and I'm sure they will do so in the sequel, because I doubt Portman would want back (even though she is contractually to do so), if her role becomes less significant. I hope she'll work well with Alan Taylor, because I believe a director must establish good relationship with his main cast for the movie to succeed.