First Avenger The NEW Captain America Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordinarily I would be against making changes to the character's origin, but I'm thinking in terms of what they want to do with Cap. They are intending to use this film as a gateway to The Avengers. So Cap needs to be a very believable leader, and it's hard to imagine a really young actor possessing that commanding of a presence.

I'm worried that if they cast too young, then this series will end up like Superman Returns, where the character was supposed to be this established, revered hero and yet he looked like a kid just learning the ropes. I know that this Cap film is the origin story, but from there he has to move onto leading a team of heroes, several of which are being played by highly talented actors.

Ordinarily I would be against making changes to the character's origin, but I'm thinking in terms of what they want to do with Cap. They are intending to use this film as a gateway to The Avengers. So Cap needs to be a very believable leader, and it's hard to imagine a really young actor possessing that commanding of a presence.
Try harder
I'm worried that if they cast too young, then this series will end up like Superman Returns, where the character was supposed to be this established, revered hero and yet he looked like a kid just learning the ropes.
Routh hardly looked like a kid in Superman Returns. The only one in that movie that would prove your point would be Kate Bosworth.
I know that this Cap film is the origin story, but from there he has to move onto leading a team of heroes, several of which are being played by highly talented actors.
So what. A good, talented actor like RDJ or Norton can help by being onscreen with a lesser-known actor; Hell, that's the entire way Thor was cast.

I don't see why Marvel is even allowing this hell hole of Captain America casting to happen. He's the most important movie and this is how they treat it?

So what. A good, talented actor like RDJ or Norton can help by being onscreen with a lesser-known actor; Hell, that's the entire way Thor was cast.

If Cap has a significantly less charismatic actor that lacks the leading man presence then people are just going to like him less then the other Avengers and people will wonder why this loser is the leader instead of the awesome Iron Man. Cap's role might suffer for that just like Cyclops' role suffered when James Marsden got put up against Hugh Jackman.

Last edited:
I don't see why Marvel is even allowing this hell hole of Captain America casting to happen. He's the most important movie and this is how they treat it?

the hell are you talking about? They are being very VERY cautious with the casting. They want to make sure they get it right...that's why they are taking so long.

With regards to how TIH and Iron Man were cast, I have faith in Marvel...i'm just nervous for Cap because it is taking so long.

the hell are you talking about? They are being very VERY cautious with the casting. They want to make sure they get it right...that's why they are taking so long.

With regards to how TIH and Iron Man were cast, I have faith in Marvel...i'm just nervous for Cap because it is taking so long.

To be completely honest, the reason they're taking this long with WHO they have is because NONE of them are working.

To be completely honest, the reason they're taking this long with WHO they have is because NONE of them are working.

I didn't know you were a part of the casting process! :eek:

Which actor are they going to review next and do you think he is a good fit for the role?

:whatever:

The hysterically premature pessimism on this thread is really getting me down.

If Cap has a significantly less charismatic actor that lacks the leading man presence then people are just going to like him less then the other Avengers and people will wonder why this loser is the leader instead of the awesome Iron Man. Cap's role might suffer for that just like Cyclops' role suffered when James Marsden got put up against Hugh Jackman.

In X-Men's case though, the actor wasn't the problem but how he was used. James Marsden is a VERY charismatic actor and could have easily pulled off a strong leader but the films were always structured around Wolverine as the focus. That's why Jim Caviezel (who was originally cast as Cyclops) dropped out because he knew his character would be playing second fiddle to Wolverine.

I didn't know you were a part of the casting process! :eek:

Which actor are they going to review next and do you think he is a good fit for the role?

:whatever:

Yeah, I am. There's this pretty cool dude called Spider-X, he's on the Superhero Hype! Message Boards. I think he'd be a pretty cool Cap, lemme talk to my best bro Kevin Fiege, see if we can sneak him in there. You cool with that?

I'm worried that if they cast too young, then this series will end up like Superman Returns, where the character was supposed to be this established, revered hero and yet he looked like a kid just learning the ropes. I know that this Cap film is the origin story, but from there he has to move onto leading a team of heroes, several of which are being played by highly talented actors.

The problem with doing this is two-fold. First, you have to change the character, which is largely a dicey proposition. The character is beloved because of who he is, if you change that then you likely end up with Dr. Doom from the F4 movies. Not good. Secondly, if you cast a 40 yr old actor for his believability, you are boxing yourself in done the road. Eckhart may be able to pass as a super soldier in the first movie and Avengers, but after that you are asking an almost 50 yr old to be believable as a peak human. Not good again. IMO, it just isn't worth it, cast around the age of the character.

Given how long it's taking them and how many people they are reviewing...if you actually give a damn, you are probably biting your nails about this. It's only natural that people are starting to get pessimistic, ESPECIALLY with the rumor of Tatum (woop...just barfed in my mouth a little) being considered

For real Braddock people are acting like they will commit suicide unless Marvel reveal who is Cap

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard you the first time.

And I beg to differ.

I have no Earthly idea why it posted twice, five minutes apart. I only meant to post that once.

As for you begging to differ, name one comic book movie that has had this much negative buzz on it's director, it's star, and it's script that went onto be a critical and commercial success.

You can't?

This is going to be a F4 size crap-fest. Like F4, it might make some money, but I guarantee, Thor is going to outshine Cap, just like Iron Man outshone TIH. Truth be told, we'll be lucky if this movie is as good as TIH...I smell a Punisher Warzone level sucktitude on the horizon.

Yeah, I am. There's this pretty cool dude called Spider-X, he's on the Superhero Hype! Message Boards. I think he'd be a pretty cool Cap, lemme talk to my best bro Kevin Fiege, see if we can sneak him in there. You cool with that?

bwahahaha...

Well, I never thought of my self as the Captain America type...let me send you my profile and let me know what you think.

This is so exciting!

heh...heh...:csad:

man...this anticipation is killing me.

In X-Men's case though, the actor wasn't the problem but how he was used. James Marsden is a VERY charismatic actor and could have easily pulled off a strong leader but the films were always structured around Wolverine as the focus. That's why Jim Caviezel (who was originally cast as Cyclops) dropped out because he knew his character would be playing second fiddle to Wolverine.
Exactly Ben. Marsden's problem were the scripts, not anything to do with his talent.
The hysterically premature pessimism on this thread is really getting me down.
For real Braddock people are acting like they will commit suicide unless Marvel reveal who is Cap
Smile though your heart is aching....:awesome:

I would point out why you're all freaking out way too early and give a million logical reasons on why this is taking this long and point out that the film is still on schedule to meet its shooting dates, but I don't see a point. This is the whiniest group of fans on the site. Seriously, every day that we don't hear who Cap is, everyone gets more and more insane. Now we're calling for JJ's and the scriptwriter's heads when we have not even seen a script? Or heard any RELIABLE sources on the script? Nor know any film details outside of what JJ has told us and the casting rumors for Red Skull, Peggy/Betsy, and Cap?

I don't see why you guys are so pessimistic. Even if it sucks, it's just a movie guys. Cap is my 2nd favorite superhero, but I am not going to freak out about this project as it stands right now. I see no reason to worry. We wouldn't even be this worried if JJ hadn't said he WANTED the role cast by March 1st. He didn't say he HAD to have him cast by then.

The hype lag sucks.

Last edited:
I'm dreading the announcement at this point...The cast list keeps getting worse. I wasn't in love with any of the original six, but now we're getting *****ebags from GI Joe and Twilight...no thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"