The NEW Official Thor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Willingham's Fables. I am not quite as fond of his work on established properties. He's not terrible or anything, but he's one of those guys you have to be a bit a wary about because he might just decide some characters would be better with totally different personalities from the ones they've had for decades and write them as he sees fit.

Then again, Keith Giffen is the same way, as evidenced by Deathcry in Annihilation Conquest: Star-Lord, yet the rest of that mini-series was so damned great that it made me not care as much about how wonky Deathcry was portrayed.

That's basically what it comes down to in the end. I really only liked her because of one conversation she had with the Vision in Bob Harras' Avengers. Obviously not one of my top-tier favorites or anything. But it still kind of stings when you know a character is one way and a writer turns them into something completely different.

Thor solicitations for November (and holy hot damn, there's a lot of 'em):

112_THOR_617.jpg

THOR #617
Written by MATT FRACTION
Pencils & Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
Tron Variant by TBA
THE WORLD EATERS continue their rampage down the World Tree on an unstoppable blitz to Asgard. The magnificient residents of the nine worlds flee their rampage... coming to Asgard for protection. Can the Fallen City protect the exiles of seven worlds from an unimaginable evil? And what on earth is Thor doing in Paris? And who has he found there...? You wouldn't believe us if we told you.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

7_ASTONISHING_THOR_1.jpg

ASTONISHING THOR #1 (of 5)
Written by ROB RODI
Penciled by MIKE CHOI
Cover by ESAD RIBIC
Foilogram Variant by TBD
“Waves are but water, wind but air. And though lightning be fire… IT MUST ANSWER THUNDER’S CALL.” The God of Thunder finds himself battling a mysterious surge of natural catastrophes— hurricanes, tidal waves, earthquakes. At first, the Son of Odin suspects Zephyr, immortal mistress of the winds, but soon he finds that the climactic upheaval must be attributed to a much larger force… EGO, THE LIVING PLANET! From ROBERT RODI and MIKE CHOI! Spinning out of the destruction of Asgard, ASTONISHING THOR is an out-of-this-world adventure—where the entire universe hangs in the balance!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

62_IRON_MAN_THOR_1.jpg

IRON MAN/THOR #1 (of 4)
Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
Penciled by SCOT EATON
Cover by RON GARNEY
Thor, God of Thunder, Son of Asgard, heir to the ancient and mythic heritage of divine power! Iron Man, invincible hero, miracle of technology, offspring of scientific genius and engineering wonder! These two mightiest of Avengers come together to face a menace that is both magical and technological, and which threatens to wipe away the pantheons of legend and science so it can replace them with a shocking new order for the Twenty First century! Written by fan favorites DAN ABNETT and ANDY LANNING (Guardians of the Galaxy) and penciled by SCOT EATON (Doomwar).
32 PGS./Rated A …$3.99

115_THOR__FIRST_THUNDER_3.jpg

THOR: FIRST THUNDER #3 (of 5)
Written by BRYAN J.L. GLASS
Penciled by TAN ENG HUAT
Cover by JAY ANACLETO
He’s battled frost giants and mythic beasts in Asgard…but how will Thor react to a mutant on Earth? And can Thor defeat the mutant Sandu who possesses power great enough to make even a Thunder God kneel? Meanwhile, what part does the vengeance of Loki continue to play in discovering the truth behind Thor's banishment from Asgard? Plus, is the relationship of Don Blake and Jane Foster doomed before it can even begin? The saga of the Odinson continues, as his very presence forces the world to acknowledge that ancient myths now walk the Earth!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

65_LOKI_2.jpg

LOKI #2 (of 4)
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Penciled by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
Cover by TRAVEL FOREMAN
Devious Loki! Murderous Loki! Poor Loki, wants only to make a difference in Asgard, to be important, to be remembered. But when the Norns who see fate itself tell him just how it is he’ll succeed…well, what else is there for crafty Loki but to play his destiny to the hilt? Now Loki embraces his future, the doom of all Asgard…and commits the greatest atrocity of his lifetime...
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

127_WARRIORS_THREE_1.jpg

WARRIORS THREE #1 (of 4)
Written by Bill Willingham
Penciled by NEIL EDWARDS
Cover by Salva Espin
Hath the world known anyone so noble as Hogun? So dashing as Fandral? So… er… great as the mighty Volstagg? HATH THE WORLD EVER KNOWN ANYTHING LIKE THE WARRIORS THREE? The answer is “no,” and that’s probably a good thing, for the tectonic plates of Midgard most likely could not withstand such… ah… might. But lo, an evil is brewing down in the depths of Hel that neither man nor God is prepared for. When an ancient monster is let loose on the world, only the WARRIORS THREE are able to rise to the challenge! From the bestselling comics writer BILL WILLINGHAM (Fables) and breakout artist NEIL EDWARDS (Fantastic Four) comes a tale of such magnitude the Marvel Universe has never seen!
32 PGS./ Rated T+ …$3.99

119_THUNDERSTRIKE_1.jpg

THUNDERSTRIKE #1 (of 5)
Written by TOM DEFALCO
Pencils by RON FRENZ & TODD NAUCK
Cover by RON FRENZ
A proud legacy continues! Eric Masterson was the first to wield the enchanted mace called Thunderstrike and he
sacrificed himself to save the world. But what happened to the mace? Has it been lost for all eternity or does the world still need heroes? Has the time finally come for someone else to follow Eric’s journey and take on the mantle of Thunderstrike? Join us as the Marvel Universe welcomes back the everyman Avenger, THUNDERSTRIKE! Guest-starring Steve Rogers, Sharon Carter and the rampaging Rhino!
40 PGS./Rated A …$3.99

124_ULTIMATE_COMICS_THOR_2.jpg

ULTIMATE COMICS THOR #2 (of 4)
Written by Jonathan Hickman
Pencils & Cover by Carlos Pacheco
As Asgard celebrates victory, rumblings of Ragnorok near. What shocking revelation will the All-Father unveil to his chosen son? And what does Baron Zemo have in store for the gods? Jonathan Hickman (SHIELD) and Carlos Pacheco (Ultimate Avengers) rock out another thrilling tale of Thor’s thunderous debut!
32 PGS./Rated T+ … $3.99

114_THOR_THE_MIGHTY_AVENGER_6.jpg

THOR THE MIGHTY AVENGER #6
Written by ROGER LANGRIDGE
Penciled & Cover by CHRIS SAMNEE
Eisner-nominee ROGER LANGRIDGE & CHRIS SAMNEE continue their epic reimagining of the God of Thunder! As Thor uncovers the mystery of why he was thrown from Asgard, his efforts are somewhat sidetracked by the awesome engine of destruction known as FIN FANG FOOM!!!!!!!!
32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99

Ultimate Loki having a cod piece makes me happy. :p Also i REALLY need to finish reading my Thor visionaires volume 1!!!!!!

Heh, am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that Don Blake--a guy with a severe limp--is apparently mountain-climbing on that first page? :lmao:

There are a lot of really good Thor trades/hardcovers coming out in November.

A couple more from Jurgens' Thor series:

113_THOR_BY_DAN_JURGENS___JOHN_ROMITA_JR__VOL__4_TRADE_PAPERBACK_1.jpg

THOR BY DAN JURGENS & JOHN ROMITA JR. VOL. 4 TPB
Written by DAN JURGENS
Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR, MICHAEL RYAN, JERRY ORDWAY & JOSE LADRÖNN
Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
As his classic run continues, Dan Jurgens introduces new threats for the God of Thunder to face, and the stakes are higher than ever! Thanos has gathered artifacts that threaten Earth’s very existence, and he’s got the all-powerful Mangog at his side! Thor, Odin and the Scarlet Witch battle Enrakt the Enchanter in another dimension! Plus: Loki! Collecting THOR #18-25 and THOR ANNUAL 2000.
248 PGS./Rated T+ …$29.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4927-9

THOR_ACROSSALLWORLDS_1.jpg

THOR: ACROSS ALL WORLDS TPB
Written by DAN JURGENS
Penciled by ANDY KUBERT
Cover by ANDY KUBERT
Thor, god of Thunder, is a god with more than a passing interest in the doings on Midgard (Earth to you and me). His sense of duty and morality forces Thor to merge his life-spirit into the mortal body of paramedic Jake Olson. Thus, he finds himself a god divided, with loyalties to the court of Odin, ruler of the Norse Gods, and as a man with obligations to friends and family. This powerfully told story follows the attempt by Lord Malekith the Dark Elf to take over Asgard by unleashing the immeasurable power contained within the Cask of Ancient Winters. With Thor tending to matters on Earth and mighty Odin undergoing the necessary Odinsleep to renew his powers, it falls to Lady Sif to rule and protect the Realm Eternal. Sensing opportunity, Ulik, leader of the Trolls, also decides the time has come to ravage Asgard, so the gods themselves have their hands full. Collecting THOR (1998) #26-35.
256 PGS./Rated T+ …$29.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4975-0

The greatest Loki story ever (released under a new title this time, but whatever, it's an oversized hardcover and this story totally deserves it):

THORANDLOKI_BLOODBROTHERS_1.jpg

THOR & LOKI: BLOOD BROTHERS HC
Written by ROB RODI
Penciled by ESAD RIBIC
All-New Cover by ESAD RIBIC
There are two sides to every story. You’ve heard Thor’s -- now it’s time to hear Loki’s. Odin’s least favorite son rewrites Asgardian lore from his perspective, featuring the breathtaking painted artwork of Esad Ribic (WOLVERINE). In this story, Loki’s insatiable lust for power, his conflicted sentiments toward Sif, his antipathy toward Balder, and the deep-seated feelings of longing and resentment toward his older brother, Thor, and uncaring father, Odin, will take on new meaning. And if that’s not enough, just stare at the lush painted art by Ribic – you won’t be disappointed! This collection comes packed with extras including the original series pitch, cover sketches, character studies and more! Collecting LOKI #1-4, JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #85, THOR #12 and material from JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #112.
152 PGS./Parental Advisory …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4968-2
Trim size: oversized

The last trade from Kieron Gillen's run on the current series, paired with an old story from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's run way back in the '60s:

117_THOR__SIEGE_AFTERMATH__TRADE_PAPERBACK__1.jpg

THOR: SIEGE AFTERMATH TPB
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Penciled by RICHARD ELSON & DOUG BRAITHWAITE
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
Fan-favorite writer Kieron Gillen continues his bestselling and critically acclaimed run, reteamed with artists Doug Braithwaite and Richard Elson. On the eve of the Siege of Asgard, fiendish Loki set loose the monstrous Dísir on his own people — and to serve his ends, he brokered a deal with Hela, mistress of the Asgardian dead, to safeguard the spirits of the departed from the threat he created. Now, Loki is dead and his threat is ended. Or is it? A crafty loophole in Loki’s contract with Hela allows Mephisto, the lord of Hell and the Dísir’s new master, to unleash the carnivorous killers on Asgard again. Plus: In a classic tale from the titanic triumvirate of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Neal Adams, Thor finds himself trapped in Loki's body…and in Hell! Collecting THOR #611-614 & THOR (1966) #179-181.
152 PGS./Rated T+ …$15.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4638-4

The Prince of Power mini-series, which Thor co-starred with Amadeus Cho and searched for Hercules in:

54_INCREDIBLE_HERCULES__THE_NEW_PRINCE_OF_POWER_TRADE_PAPERBACK_1.jpg

INCREDIBLE HERCULES: THE NEW PRINCE OF POWER TPB
Written by GREG PAK & FRED VAN LENTE
Penciled by REILLY BROWN & ARIEL OLIVETTI
Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
The Lion of Olympus has fallen. And as the Heroic Age dawns, the Golden Mace of Hercules passes to a new Prince of Power...who just happens to be Herc's best friend, Korean-American kid genius Amadeus Cho. But when Amadeus finally reveals what he plans to do with his new power, the heavens themselves may shatter as Marvel's mightiest pantheons are shaken to the core! And wait a minute...what's THOR doing here? Fan fave writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente and beloved "Thorcules" artist Reilly Brown bring the thunder with the next essential chapter in the mind-blowing, heart-wrenching, and gut-busting epic that is the "Incredible Hercules" experience! Plus, when the most beloved Olympian of all time falls, who will mourn him? Acclaimed artist Ariel Olivetti joins Pak and Van Lente for a mini-epic that marks the end of an era and the beginning of something utterly unexpected for Hercules, the Lion of Olympus. Collecting HEROIC AGE: PRINCE OF POWER #1-4 and HERCULES: FALL OF AN AVENGER #1-2.
160 PGS./Rated T+ …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4370-3

And a couple of trades collecting some older stories (no cover images for some reason):

THOR: GODSTORM HC
Written by KURT BUSIEK & TOM DEFALCO
Penciled by STEVE RUDE & MIKE MIGNOLA
Cover by STEVE RUDE
In a tale of two worlds, Thor fights epic battles against trolls, evil scientists and super-villains—and balances his life as a god, a hero and a doctor as Loki manipulates him from afar and Odin banishes him from Earth! What is the Godstorm, and can the God of Thunder hope to defeat it? Plus: in a tale of Asgard past, Thor battles Uroc, the Uru Monster! Collecting THOR: GODSTORM #1-3 and material from THOR (1966) #408-409.
128 PGS./Rated A …$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4976-7
Trim size: oversized

THOR: THE QUEST FOR ODIN PREMIERE HC
Written by LEN WEIN
Penciled by TONY DEZUNIGA, JOHN BUSCEMA & WALTER SIMONSON
Covers by JOHN BUSCEMA & JACK KIRby When Odin disappears from Asgard, it’s up to Thor and allies the Warriors Three, Balder and Sif to find him! See Thor quest across the vastness of space, through alien worlds and upon the dreaded Doomsday Star! Plus: an unexpected battle between Thor and Odin, father vs. son! Featuring the villainy of the Stone-Men from Saturn, Sporr, the Grey Gargoyle, the Enchantress, the Executioner, the Soul-Survivors, the Destroyer and, of course, Loki—on the throne of Asgard itself! Collecting THOR (1966) #255-266.
224 PGS./Rated A …$29.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4981-1
Trim size: standard
THOR: THE QUEST FOR ODIN PREMIERE HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 60
224 PGS./Rated A …$28.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4993-4

Love Thor with the viking sheild but Mjolnir looks tiny and what the hell is he wearing on that arm!

The shield, belt, and arm... thing... were super-powerful items a troll created at Odin's behest to help Thor against Thanos and Mangog. That was probably my favorite arc from the Jurgens run, which is high praise because Jurgens wrote so many good ones. :up:

I was on vacation for the past week and found a comic shop that had the Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson volumes 3-5. Was gonna buy all 3, but found Planetary Vol. 2 and Irredeemable Vol. 1 (because no store near me carries any of these books).

But yea, anyways. Frog Thor FTW!

Also, I wanna check out the Jurgens/Romita stuff. Is it really that good?

Last edited:
What do you mean a huge gap? Jurgens/Romita vol. 4 covers #18-25 and the Jurgens/Kubert Across All Worlds trade picks up from the very next issue, covering #26-35. There's no gap.

Jurgens' run comprises the entire 1998 Thor vol. 2 series except for the last 6 issues, which were written by Michael Avon Oeming (and are collected in the Avengers Disassembled: Thor trade). Since it's an 80-issue run, it obviously had its ups and downs. Most of his work with Romita, Jr. as the artist was good. Andy Kubert takes over for a while and I actually don't know much about that period, since I had to drop Thor due to money constraints at the time (I was only in high school then). Stuart Immonen draws some issues after that, and then Tom Raney kicks off the King Thor Saga. Ben and Ray Lai draw a few sporadic issues after that, then Scot Eaton takes over for almost all of the future stuff that makes up "The Reigning."

My personal favorite arcs from Jurgens' run are the Dark Gods story that started the series off, that Thanos/Mangog arc that ends in #25, a crossover with Iron Man and Avengers called "Standoff," and "Spiral," the last arc of the King Thor Saga that takes place in the present.

What do you mean a huge gap? Jurgens/Romita vol. 4 covers #18-25 and the Jurgens/Kubert Across All Worlds trade picks up from the very next issue, covering #26-35. There's no gap.

Jurgens' run comprises the entire 1998 Thor vol. 2 series except for the last 6 issues, which were written by Michael Avon Oeming (and are collected in the Avengers Disassembled: Thor trade). Since it's an 80-issue run, it obviously had its ups and downs. Most of his work with Romita, Jr. as the artist was good. Andy Kubert takes over for a while and I actually don't know much about that period, since I had to drop Thor due to money constraints at the time (I was only in high school then). Stuart Immonen draws some issues after that, and then Tom Raney kicks off the King Thor Saga. Ben and Ray Lai draw a few sporadic issues after that, then Scot Eaton takes over for almost all of the future stuff that makes up "The Reigning."

My personal favorite arcs from Jurgens' run are the Dark Gods story that started the series off, that Thanos/Mangog arc that ends in #25, a crossover with Iron Man and Avengers called "Standoff," and "Spiral," the last arc of the King Thor Saga that takes place in the present.

Yea, my bad. I have no idea what the hell I was looking at. But I thought I saw a gap in issues. :huh:

Anyways, thanks for for info. Gonna see if my comic shop has any of them today!

DeMatteis Orders a Lightning Strike With "Chaos War: Thor

2n1uo34.jpg

CBR News: J.M. you did a lot of work for Marvel in the ‘80s, but with the exception of the "Defenders" miniseries you and Keith Giffen wrote in 2005, it seems like you spent most of the '90s and the 2000s doing your own projects or work for DC. Recently you returned to Marvel to write the "Amazing Spider-Man" Kaine and Kraven backup story and now you have this project. It seems like you're back and slowly getting your feet wet in the Marvel pool - how does it feel to be working for the company again?

J.M. DeMatteis: I've been a freelancer long enough to know that things are cyclical. Sometimes I'm focusing on originals, sometimes I'm working more for one publisher than another, sometimes I'm doing more television than comics, or concentrating on a book, etc. You just go where the ideas - and the work offers - lead.

To be honest, it's not about writing for Marvel or DC (or IDW or BOOM! or whoever), it's about doing interesting projects for people you respect and enjoy working with. Working with Steve Wacker and Crew on the Spider-Man stories has been a blast, and this new Thor project for Mark Paniccia has been just as much fun. I've especially enjoyed the interactions with "Chaos War" architects Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak. They've cooked up a terrific story and I'm delighted to be participating in the project.

Over the course of your career, you've had a chance to write Thor as an Avenger and perhaps as a guest star in some of your other Marvel titles, but if my research is correct, this is the first time you're writing the character on his own. What is it like to finally write the God of Thunder in a solo environment?

Thor showed up in a few stories I wrote way back when, but I've never had a chance to seriously explore the psyche and mythologies of the character before. He's one of the few Marvel icons I can say that about. That's another reason this project is so much fun.
I don't want to give too much away, but it's a story that's cosmic and personal. It's got huge cosmic battles - the story opens with a confrontation that's fairly epic - and small, intimate human elements. The story also gives me a chance to explore the wonderful Blake/Thor metaphor. The idea that this seemingly small, limited, weak man is, in truth, one of the most powerful beings in the universe: a god. "Chaos War: Thor" hinges on the idea that this isn't just true for Don Blake: it's true for every one of us. We all contain the universe, we're all so much more than we could ever imagine.

It's been revealed that Thor is going to face a new character named Glory in this story. What can you tell us about Glory? What does he ultimately want and why has he allied himself with the Chaos King?

The thing that makes Glory so interesting (to me, at least) is the fact that he's not one single god: he's the embodiment of an entire pantheon. Imagine if all the gods of Olympus were one being, contained within the body of Zeus, and you'll get some sense of just how formidable Glory is. Add to that the fact that he's the god of a race that lives a brutal existence of unending war and suffering. Glory is a reflection of the violence and struggle and lunacy of the people that worship him (and you could just as easily call Glory "her" or "it"). In other words, he's not just powerful: he's savage, depraved. Cosmically savage and depraved. His view of life, the universe and everything is incredibly dark and brutal. Tearing down the universes at Chaos's side is a no-brainer for Glory

Oooh, sounds interesting. I tend to like DeMatteis' work, and Glory certainly sounds like a villain worthy of Thor. Brian Ching's art on Knights of the Old Republic was quite good as well, so I'll be looking forward to his take on Thor. Chaos War is looking like a pretty solid event so far. :up:

Indeed! I was worried they were bringing in a Buffy Character for Thor to fight when I heard the name but the character description sound awesome!

Anyone else notice the black pants on Thor in that pic? I wonder if Marvel will replace the chainmail with normal pants to reflect the movie's costume more. I'd actually be cool with that (although I would've preferred blue pants). Chainmail leggings always seemed really weird to me.

112_THOR_617.jpg

THOR #617
Written by MATT FRACTION
Pencils & Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
Tron Variant by TBA
THE WORLD EATERS continue their rampage down the World Tree on an unstoppable blitz to Asgard. The magnificient residents of the nine worlds flee their rampage... coming to Asgard for protection. Can the Fallen City protect the exiles of seven worlds from an unimaginable evil? And what on earth is Thor doing in Paris? And who has he found there...? You wouldn't believe us if we told you.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Loki reincarnated in a child's body? Seems interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"