The New Ultimate DC RPG - Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I adjust my tie and pull a flashlight out from my pocket. I click the light on and shine it at a nearby broken crate. Broken vials are scattered nearby and the floor is wet.

"Jackpot."

I bend down and pick up one of the broken vials. "Say, Bats, you got a way to test this liquid and see if it's what we're looking for?"

"Not without analyzing a comparison sample. Unless..."

Stepping past The Question, Batman reaches out and grabs one of the vials. Popping it open, he turns it over and spills out a few droplets of the drug onto his glove's palm. Giving it a quick smell at first, he realizes that it's odorless, prompting a certainty of what he does next. Holding his palm up to his tongue, he engorges the droplets and takes in the taste. And immediately grimaces in disgust. He had sampled plenty of the city's drugs on several noted binders as Bruce Wayne, but never anything like this. It was like trying to taste battery acid.

"It's definitely not meth. Nor heroin, or a streamlined liquid variation of cocaine. There's a strong enough aftertaste to suggest a steroid compound, with some clear differences to the formula. This has to be it."

"Not without analyzing a comparison sample. Unless..."

Stepping past The Question, Batman reaches out and grabs one of the vials. Popping it open, he turns it over and spills out a few droplets of the drug onto his glove's palm. Giving it a quick smell at first, he realizes that it's odorless, prompting a certainty of what he does next. Holding his palm up to his tongue, he engorges the droplets and takes in the taste. And immediately grimaces in disgust. He had sampled plenty of the city's drugs on several noted binders as Bruce Wayne, but never anything like this. It was like trying to taste battery acid.

"It's definitely not meth. Nor heroin, or a streamlined liquid variation of cocaine. There's a strong enough aftertaste to suggest a steroid compound, with some clear differences to the formula. This has to be it."

"Sweet. I would have taste tested it, but you know.....the whole lack of a mouth-hole kinda prevents me from that."

I swivel my flashlight and start looking around. "You know, if this stuff is coming in through the docks, then where is it coming from? I mean, shipping crates have some kind of writing or serial number on them to indicate where they came from and what's inside. These don't. Let's try and split up and see if we can find anything about where this stuff is coming in at."

Batman nods and heads off into the dark. I go the other way and start checking out all the boxes and crates. The beam of my flashlight lands on a piece of paper nailed to a crate.

"Bats, I got something."

I rip the paper off and start scanning it as Batman walks up.

"Okay, this is a shipping manifest from somewhere in New York. Says twenty-four boxes of aspirin. That matches up to about the amount of boxes these goons were unloading. The manifest says a truck left New York earlier this evening from a warehouse for this company Tyler Chem. Tyler Chem....that sounds vaguely familiar to me."

"Yes, I'm sorry about the circumstances. On behalf of the entire GCPD, I just want to extend to you my condolences. I know a little bit of what you're going through, and I can tell you it's a hard, uphill struggle. Your father is a brave man and a tough man. If anyone can pull through, it's him."

The words sounds nice, but they're about 95% bull****. Sure, the part about Jim Gordon being a tough son of a ***** and my mother are true, but the rest? Meh, I just wish she could have shown up five minutes later.
"Thank you," I reply with a smile. Nygma's tone is convincing - very believeable, everything he says. When he stares into your eyes, you feel like he's on your side - like all the troubles in the world go away simply because he says so. Curious how this feeling disappears when he does.

Regardless, kind words are appreciated - no matter who they're from. At least he has faith in my father ... or at least, faith that he'll survive.

"Driver and Fields are in charge of the investigation," Montoya interjects suddenly. "They've compiled a list of suspects and are following the leads they have now before they go cold." Renee puts her hand on my shoulder and turns me slightly toward her. Giving me a determined and empathetic look, she tells me, "We will find out who shot your father Barbara." Her voice goes still, her eyes remaining thin and clenched. "I promise."

"Thank you," I reply with a smile. Nygma's tone is convincing - very believeable, everything he says. When he stares into your eyes, you feel like he's on your side - like all the troubles in the world go away simply because he says so. Curious how this feeling disappears when he does.

Regardless, kind words are appreciated - no matter who they're from. At least he has faith in my father ... or at least, faith that he'll survive.

"Driver and Fields are in charge of the investigation," Montoya interjects suddenly. "They've compiled a list of suspects and are following the leads they have now before they go cold." Renee puts her hand on my shoulder and turns me slightly toward her. Giving me a determined and empathetic look, she tells me, "We will find out who shot your father Barbara." Her voice goes still, her eyes remaining thin and clenched. "I promise."

"Listen to Detective Montoya. She's a fine investigator. We'll be able to find out who did this and make sure they pay."

I put a hand on Barbara's other shoulder and gently stroke her hair with my free hand. "The best thing you can do for Jim right now is stay strong and keep praying."

I squeeze her shoulder and look her in the eyes. "Can you do that for me, Barbara?"

"Listen to Detective Montoya. She's a fine investigator. We'll be able to find out who did this and make sure they pay."

I put a hand on Barbara's other shoulder and gently stroke her hair with my free hand. "The best thing you can do for Jim right now is stay strong and keep praying."

I squeeze her shoulder and look her in the eyes. "Can you do that for me, Barbara?"
A wave of emotion washes over me as the inspector holds me tight. For a moment, I go numb - blind and deaf to the world around me. Nygma's over-eager sympathy and empathetic smile is all there is, and despite my best efforts, I'm captivated entirely.

Trying to answer his question, all I can do is utter a simplistic, "Uhhh huhh," nodding my head slowly up and down. Why am I so dumbstruck? What the heck is wrong with me?

"Thank you, inspector," Renee suddenly grunts, pulling me out of my trance. As I turn to her, I watch her starring Nygma down, scowling noticibly. "Don't you have a case to get back to?"

A wave of emotion washes over me as the inspector holds me tight. For a moment, I go numb - blind and deaf to the world around me. Nygma's over-eager sympathy and empathetic smile is all there is, and despite my best efforts, I'm captivated entirely.

Trying to answer his question, all I can do is utter a simplistic, "Uhhh huhh," nodding my head slowly up and down. Why am I so dumbstruck? What the heck is wrong with me?

"Thank you, inspector," Renee suddenly grunts, pulling me out of my trance. As I turn to her, I watch her starring Nygma down, scowling noticibly. "Don't you have a case to get back to?"

I look up and suddenly take a step back from Barbara.

"Yes, yes I do. As do you, Detective. I don't think that Perkins 187 is gonna solve itself. Least we not forget who's in charge of CID."

I wipe my forehead and the sweat that I didn't realize was forming on it.

"As I said, Barbara: All of us at the GCPD will be there for you if you need us, just remember that. You two have a nice night and remember that the commissioner will pull through."

With that I take my leave and quickly walk down the hallways until I reach the elevator and step on to it. I let out a big sigh as the doors close and lean back against the wall. My hands shake and tremble as I attempt to wipe more sweat of my brow. I feel the cravings for a drink, but I resist them and close my eyes.

What the hell just happened back there? What did I just do?

I rip the paper off and start scanning it as Batman walks up.

"Okay, this is a shipping manifest from somewhere in New York. Says twenty-four boxes of aspirin. That matches up to about the amount of boxes these goons were unloading. The manifest says a truck left New York earlier this evening from a warehouse for this company Tyler Chem. Tyler Chem....that sounds vaguely familiar to me."

Immediately, Batman recognizes the manufacturer's handle. He would have put it together sooner, but the last that he had heard, Waynetech was actually on good terms with the company - so much so that the three prominent heads of the Tyler family had personally signed a contract with Bruce Wayne to ensure good faith on several loans of technological production services and equipment. To think that they were so desperate for money that they'd be willing to try and corner the black market with shipments of Miraclo seemed unlikely, given how good business had been for the family over the past few years. Even so, it was evident that something had transpired. If they were truly legitimate, why would they need to falsify any of their product shipments in Gotham?

Batman9-63.png

"Tyler Chemicals. They've made billions in revenue over the last decade selling name brand pharmaceuticals on a legitimate basis. They're actually one of the most successful proprietors in the business."

Holding up the vile that he had sampled, Batman peered directly at it's label. Now he knew he was right about an earlier suspicion. It had been nagging at him since the robbery, but he had actually heard the name Miraclo used before in a media context. "At one time, they touted this as one of their revolutionary formulas. But the original compound was reported to be denied by the FDA twice before a deviation was approved for public sale. This could be the remains of the original."

"Tyler Chemicals. They've made billions in revenue over the last decade selling name brand pharmaceuticals on a legitimate basis. They're actually one of the most successful proprietors in the business."

Holding up the vile that he had sampled, Batman peered directly at it's label. Now he knew he was right about an earlier suspicion. It had been nagging at him since the robbery, but he had actually heard the name Miraclo used before in a media context. "At one time, they touted this as one of their revolutionary formulas. But the original compound was reported to be denied by the FDA twice before a deviation was approved for public sale. This could be the remains of the original."

I click off my flashlight and fold up the shipping manifest before placing it in my inside coat pocket.

"Hmmmmm. If we want to stop this, we have to cut it off at the source. What do you say we take a road trip across the river to NYC? Check out this warehouse first hand. My car can get us there in about twenty minutes if traffic isn't too bad."

I click off my flashlight and fold up the shipping manifest before placing it in my inside coat pocket.

"Hmmmmm. If we want to stop this, we have to cut it off at the source. What do you say we take a road trip across the river to NYC? Check out this warehouse first hand. My car can get us there in about twenty minutes if traffic isn't too bad."

"Hh."

With that proposal and it's evident opportunity, Batman wasn't sure if he wanted to raise his sleight of hand just yet. It was still in the experimental stages, having only been taken out for a single test run since it's completion. But New York City would be at least an hour and a half drive from the freeway, and that was only taking the Gotham traffic into account. The first stop would inevitably be Manhattan, which held a traffic record that neither vigilante had the skill to blend into. Halfway hesitant, Batman grabbed The Question's arm and narrowed his gaze.

"I've got a better idea."

Motioning him to follow, The Dark Knight led his ally out of the warehouse and right onto the docks where they had began. At first, The Question began to walk towards his car. But Batman grabbed him by the shoulder, hard, and shook his head. "Forget it. We can't take the risk of having to weave ourselves through a midnight rush. If we're going to do this, we'll need to take the skies."

Tapping the buckle of his utility belt, Batman looked up at the clouds above them as the device began to consistently beep. Until the emblem began to glow, and the wind around them began to pick up. The Question looked around in confusion as a low hum of something began to grow louder. Until they were both eclipsed in a shadow from on high. What they were looking at was the latest, and perhaps greatest invention of Batman's arsenal to date. And the now primary means of his own personal transportation.

Batman7-3.png

"That's where I come in."

Midnighter
midnighter.jpg

Seven days. One long week is what it to finish the suit. That encounter with those thugs really opened my eyes to what I needed to achieve to be successful on this crime fighting. The thrashing they delivered to me should have left me beaten and broken for sometime. Thanks to my mother’s brilliant mind that made the implants that now rest inside me I recovered in record time. With a new insight on what needed to be done, I have to inject fear into the hearts of the wicked.

When those criminals thought I was Batman they were scared. By being so I had gained the advantage on the battlefield. Fear is a powerful weapon to have on your side. It’s hard for anyone to think straight when terror has overtaken them, stupid mistakes will be made but that night the only error made was by me. Once their eyes laid on my feeble attempt for a batman impersonation their fear turned into laughter. At that moment the tide turned in their favor. How can you be afraid of that which amuses you? I lost that night but I didn’t leave empty handed. The reward I gained for my stupidity was knowledge. I needed fear on my side.

Receiving the address to my mother’s old warehouse was a big plus. Most of her projects if not all were either in the blueprint or prototype phase. The beauty of it all is that her projects were ahead of their time. With the material used for most of the devices it’s safe to say that my father continued where she left off because a lot of this stuff is fairly new. It makes perfect sense given that he did figure out how to implant her computer combat system into me.

beginssuitprototyp.jpg

With all this technology at my disposal the first area of my focus was the body armor. The body suit was based on an advanced infantry system constructed from nomex. The under suit was the first layer of protection. It has a built in temperature regulators designed to keep me at comfortable temperatures in almost any condition. This will come in hand during those cold winter nights. Second layer of protection consists of armor built over the arms, thighs, calves, chest, and back. The armor features a Kevlar bi-weave that can stop slashing weapons as well deflect bullets as long as it’s not a close shot impact. Most importantly the joints are reinforced so that permits me the utmost flexibility and mobility. Now that my body has been altered to give me faster nerve endings so I can react quicker than a normal human the suit wont delay that. The last thing I had to do to finish the body armor was paint it. Granted I could have left it black to give it a more threatening appearance but I would resemble Batman to much. It wouldn’t be right for me to throw any more salt on his good name that he has spent time to build up. So to stand apart from him I painted the chest and arms red, still an intimidating color to help strike fear into the hearts of man.

Next I decided to keep the cape and cowl which was found in the box along with the body armor. I know people will think that I’m taking a page out of Batman’s book but that’s not the case. Motivation for adding the cape is for tactical reasons. It hides the body and makes it difficult to know where to strike. One thing I’ve learn is I won’t be able to count on my new computer mind all the time so I will need every advantage I can get. The cape also has incorporated fire resistant nomex, along with Kevlar weave to slow the impact of bullets. At the ends of the cape it contains lead weight tips that prevent the cape from getting tangled of blowing in my face in windy conditions. Connected to the cape is a cowl. The cowl is made of a light tight fitting fabric which along with the cape fits over the neck and part of the shoulders. It fits rather comfortably and hides my facial features at the same time. The only thing I added to the cowl was some red lenses to avoid the possibility of eye identification. Also red lenses give the cowl a kind of demon look. Along with the cape in cowl was a utility belt. It will eventually serve a great purpose once I complete the rest of the weapons I found useful. Till then it’s only job will be to house the grapnel gun and extendible staff, the only accessories that seem to be working correctly for the moment.

Then comes the gloves and boots. The gloves serve two purposes, one to help protect my identity, last thing I want to do is leave my fingerprints hanging around. Second reason is for protection, plus the added bonus on hitting power isn’t bad either. The glove it self has joint armor reinforcements from the wrists and knuckles to the fingers. The design for the boots is modeled from tactical boots. Difference is these boots are made from lightweight rubbers so they are more flexible to allow for a full extension when kicking. The most important part of the boots would have to be the ankle reinforcement slingshot design. Which acts as both armor and as strengthening for the ankle joint when kicking or landing from high distances.

Finally after seven long days and nights I finish the suit. The development of all this was hell. The upside to it all is pretty much everything was set out before me I just had to put it all together. During the whole process I probably got three to fours hours of sleep a day. Even though it was tough it had to be done. As bad as I wanted to sleep longer I couldn’t because crime never sleeps. So here I am looking down on Gotham city ready to face anything that may come my way to see how affective my new look shall be.

I stand on the rooftop for a good hour hearing nothing but the wind blowing. The city is silent and clam it’s almost relaxing. At night the city is so beautiful you almost forget how bad it really is. While focusing on the calmness of the night it finally happens. A woman scream for help becomes my own sense of hearing. I knew this city would not fail my exceptions and now its my job not to fail it.

I quickly fallow the source of the cries for help. I run from rooftop to rooftop with such flawlessness you would think I was a pro truth is as much as I would like to take full credit it’s not me with my own skills. My enhancements give me the edge to be good and once I fully harness my skills I will be great.

With my vision now improve I’m able to fallow the woman’s attempt for escape from the rooftop and also the two thugs pursuing her. They end up leading her to a dark alley where she is cornered. Why does it seem like everything has to take place in an alley? I land on the next building which is right above the action and walk right over to the ledge.

“Please just leave me alone. Here just take the purse.” She immediately throws her purse at the thugs. It bounces off of the bigger one's chest and they both don’t acknowledge it.

“It’s too late for that. See if you would have gave it to us when we asked, we might have just took it and left. But now since you made us chase you all the way here we want some special payment.” The shorter one reaches in his behind his back and pulls out a blade.

“Please you don’t have to do this I gave you what you wanted.” She falls to her knees pleading to them.

She gave up her purse but yet they still pursue her wanting more, they are greedy. Even pulled out a weapon to a defenseless woman, they are cowards. They are exactly what I vow to defend people against. And now it is my time to act.

“Leave her alone!” I order looking down on them with my voice more sinister than it has ever been.

mn105.jpg

It has to be I must strike fear and first appearances is everything. I must make them believe they are not dealing with someone human.

They look up and pause right on the spot. It got them, they are paralyzed by fear. I then jump down to the ground landing between the thugs and the woman. A side of me wants to speak again but I know its better for me to not say anything. I must give them the impression that I will not repeat myself. I’ll just stand here holding my ground. They are scared and with that they will make the first move, a dumb one. People that have fear running through their veins always do.

They gaze at me then back to each other panicking. One of the thugs try to run but before he can take a good three steps his partner grabs him.

“Hell you going?” Even though he is trying to act tough I can hear in his voice he himself wants to run to but I assume his stupid thug pride won’t allow him.

“I’m getting out here man. This was post to be a simple snatch and grab. I don’t know what that is I’m gone.”

“You’re not going any where, you fight or die.”

His partner is stuck in a dilemma and I can’t say I feel sorry for him. He is going to get what he deserves either way.

“**** man, alright I got this.”

He then points the sharp edge of his blade in my direction. He must think he can take me, big mistake. I look at him as he trembles and takes a moment to build up some courage. Once he believe he was ready he takes off running at me with his arm extended forward, another mistake. Before he took his first step I had already simulated ten ways to stop him, nine of them ended with me killing him. He runs towards me barley able to keep his balance as he approaches. His attack plan is sloppy so the solution will be easy. As he gets into striking distance I simply side step to the left and stick my right foot out and watch as trips over it. While falling I deliver a karate chop to the back of his head with just enough pressure to knock him out before he hits the ground.

He fall’s face first on the pavement landing right in front of the woman unconscious. I don’t even bother looking back at him I know his current state, instead I focus my attention on his partner. Smart thing for him to do would be run but if he plans to stay he should… the thug then quickly walks to his right and picks up a glass bottle that was under some trash… getting a weapon was my next option, to bad its for nothing.

“You think I’m scared of you, HUH?”

He’s not proving it to me I already he is.

“I’M NOT ABOUT TO GO OUT LIKE SOME PUNK” He yells as he makes the same dumb mistake like his partner and run in my direction.

There are a number of ways I can disarm him before he gets the chance to attack but I’m not. I’m going to go with a different approach. He pulls his arm back that’s holding the bottle and brings it forward with all his might and smashes the bottle over my head. I take the blow not budging. Granted the bottle did hurt like hell but not as bad as it did last time when my head was exposed, you can bet your bottom dollar I won’t be do this little invincible act again.

He panics as he realizes that it didn’t affect me… well it did but I’m not going to let it show. I then quickly grab him by his jacket and lift him up off his feet, this new found strength is amazing.

“What the hell are you man? Are you some kind of devil of something?”

I pull him closer with my red lenses glowing in a almost blood red color.

“I’m worse.”

I tell him right before I though him across the alley landing on top of a dumpster. I turn to the helpless woman, I almost for got she was here.

“This is the part were you run.”

She nods in fear and slowly gets to her feet and gets against the wall as she passes me then runs out of the alley.

I then pull out my grapnel gun and fire it up to the rooftop.

lor_zod2.png

"I wanna go outside."

The request was to be expected from a child his age who had been cooped up inside of planes, automobiles, and offices all day. Slouched down in his seat, Lor's feet swung freely as he gazed lazily out the window of the private jet that he and Dabney had been ushered into by more of the men in black suits. Except with them now was that same lady who had argued with Dabney back at the lab a few days earlier. She sat next to Lor and kept trying to make conversation with him. For his part, Dabney Donovan sat across from the Superboy with his head in his hands. "Not now, kid," the man uttered, irritation showing through his voice in uncharacteristic tone that slightly worried the boy. Lor didn't understand what all was going on. Apparently neither did Dabney.

"The plane will land in a little while, then you can go outside," Fionna Ross said, speaking up from beside the child as she reached over to gently brush a strand of his sandy brown hair out of his face.

With a loud huff of a sigh, Lor sank down further in his seat. He was bored! And this was worse than a thousand Starro-thingies. "Why can't I just fly myself?" the child asked plaintively.

"Dammit, I said not now!" Donovan snapped, locking an angry gaze on Superboy with such an unexpected fervor that the boy actually jumped in surprise.

Fionna's hand landed atop his head in a gentle pat. "Do you promise to stay with the plane?" the woman asked, eliciting a reluctant nod from the boy before she turned to one of the men in black with them and said, "Jerome, tell the pilots to lower our altitude and then let him go play."

It was another minute before the door to the private Gulfstream was opened and Lor had leapt into the wild blue yonder. Closing his eyes, the boy let himself be immersed in the feeling of total freedom as the whip whipped his clothing around his slight and small frame. It was almost like being back in the Phantom Zone. Like being back home.

A second later the passengers inside the bizjet heard the echo of the sonic boom created by the Superboy's passage through the air, as the child went rocketing far beyond the clouds. "YA-hoooooooooo!" Throwing out his arms and legs, the boy just let himself freefall back toward the Earth, before taking control of the glide and performing loops around the plane.

"So what's your game?"

It was Dabney's voice. With his hearing, Lor could still hear the conversation inside of the plane. He could hear the anger and bitterness in the man's voice. He was upset, not just at the woman but he wasn't happy with her either.

"Are you sure you want to know? I mean, it's obvious now that you have no idea just how the game is played,"
the woman answered calmly. Lor was beginning to get the message that whatever was going on, Miss Fionna was in charge.

"Let's start with where we're going. That's the eastern seaboard below us, but we're headed south. Metropolis is north of DC, Miss Ross."

The comment was the first time that Lor had realized there was an ocean beneath them. But it was on their left when it should have been on their right. And the climate was warmer than either Washington or Metropolis. Dropping several hundred feet in mere moments, the young Superboy skimmed along the surface of the Atlantic as he continued to listen in on the adult's conversation.

"Don't you know? It was your suggestion, Doctor Donovan. We're going to Sweet Home Alabama, home of the U.S. Space Camp."

"Camp?" Lor echoed, trying to recall where he'd heard that term before. Then he remembered Albert Michaels telling him about this camp thing and that kids went there to play together. Looping through the air again, Lor arced his back and allowed a smile to wash over his features. He'd never met another kid before. He was pretty sure that he'd been the only one in the Phantom Zone. And he hadn't met any kids since he'd come to Earth either. Of course, human kids would be weak by definition but even a weak playmate was better than no playmate.

And whether humans were weak or not... Lor suddenly found himself overcome by a desire to play with other kids.

"Why?"

"Because I can, and because you obviously don't know what you're doing. You wanted the United States government to endorse a metahuman and had absolutely no idea what politics would be involved. Superman gives the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff penis envy. He's the soldier they dream of being."

That comment almost stopped Lor dead in the air. "Superman? A soldier?" the boy uttered, before breaking out in a giggly-laugh. Superman was barely adequate as Kryptonians went. He'd have never made it in Dru-Zod's army, of that Lor was certain. If humans thought that Superman was a soldier, and were scared of that, then General Dru-Zod would more than terrify them.

"No, I mean... why are you doing this?"

"The Department of Metahuman Affairs has a lot of interest in keeping the growing population of metahumans in check. Registration, for example. It might be repulsive that we want to treat Superboy and others like him as though they were sex offenders, but its in the public interest to know who and where these people are, and what they can do. Congress hasn't bought off on the registration idea yet though."

Lor began to slow down, trailing behind the chair as he nervously grabbed a hold of his t-shirt and fidgeted slightly. He wasn't really understanding the conversation, but he didn't like the way that Miss Fionna talked about him.

"But using a child for animal testing to develop some kind of silver bullet to bring down Superman? If anything the DMA has a vested interest in preventing that from happening."

The Superboy's faun brown eyes opened wide at the turn in conversation. "Testing?" He didn't understand what they were talking about, but something about it made him nervous.

"I'm not sure I understand."

"The DMA was create to enforce regulations and recommend policy changes with regard to increasing our understanding of metahumans and their place in American society. If the public found out that the U.S. government were experimenting on metahumans, especially metahuman children, that would cause irreparable damage to human-metahuman relations in America."

Experiment... on him? That idea did stop the Superboy in mid-air. The plane had turned away from the seaboard, flying over a city whose name was 'Atlanta' from what the boy could pick up on the streets below. Maybe he could find that Keystone place and get Flash to help him make sense out of what the adults were talking about.

"So what are we doing here?"

"A press conference."

"A press conference?"

"The DMA flew in the crew of the Space Shuttle Excalibur just a few minutes ago. They're excited at the prospect of meeting the individual responsible for the shuttle rescue, as well as the rescue of Micah Flint."

"But the Pentagon said..."

"**** the Pentagon. This is politics, Doctor Donovan. Once the public knows about Superboy, we'll have let loose a genie who isn't so easily put back into the bottle."

Lor could at least understand enough to realize that Ross and Donovan weren't doing anything bad for the time being. And it wasn't like he had any place else to go. What was he supposed to do, find Superman and live with him? Lor would just as soon go live on the moon. So the boy began to follow after the plane again, but the wind had been taken out of his sails. They wanted to use him.

One thing was clear: Lor-Zod was alone on this world.

"Ladies and gentlemen..."

Dabney Donovan's boomed over a crowd of parent and child campers that were flanked on either side by media from throughout the United States and international outlets. A large American flag draped the back of the stage, upon which sat the commander and crew of the Space Shuttle Excalibur mission that Lor had assisted with. Minus of course Micah Flint, whom Lor hadn't seen since leaving the man at Pike Island with Doctor Michaels.

"...members of the press..."

Behind the crowd, Fionna Ross stood with her arms around Lor as the two were flanked by the ubiquitous men in black. "When I tell you to, I want you to fly over to the stage beside Donovan," the woman remarked quietly.

"...crew of the Space Shuttle Excalibur..."

"What is this?"
the boy asked, bewildered. Was this what a press thingy was?

"...on behalf of NASA and the Department of Metahuman Affairs..."

"You'll see," Fionna said, withdrawing her arms and gently shoving the boy off."Go, go!"
"...I give you, your hero..."

Soaring above the crowd, the young Kryptonian flipped through the air to land on the stage beside Donovan.
"SUPERBOY!"

Last edited:
When Val first saught me out, I don't really think that I knew what he was asking of me. Become Terrific, save the world, it all sounds pretty easy at first, you know? I mean, I knew my grandpa was a dick but...well I had to atone...you understand, you're like me. I started off by playing hero. I'm not sure when I became one.
- Michael Holt to Courtney Whitmore

***​

Mike put the bottle of whiskey that his roommate kept for special occasions down on the table. He sat down heavily and looked at the man that was sitting opposite him. Black hair, straggly beard, muddy military fatigues and a blank stare. Wordlessly, Mike pushed one glass towards him, keeping one for himself. He poured himself a shot, downed it, repeated, then passed the bottle to the man opposite.

"What say you run that by me again?" he said.

"My name is Val Armorr, and I'm from the future. Im a superhero, your grandad was a superhero, and you need to be one too. There are some things that need to happen. We need to stop your grandad and his old pals, cos in a few centuries, they're going to control the planet. And then it gets really bad," the Karate Kid said, taking the bottle by the neck and draining it.

"You're crazy," Mike said.

"Damn right," Val said, grinning "Got anything stronger?"

"I've got a better idea."

Motioning him to follow, The Dark Knight led his ally out of the warehouse and right onto the docks where they had began. At first, The Question began to walk towards his car. But Batman grabbed him by the shoulder, hard, and shook his head. "Forget it. We can't take the risk of having to weave ourselves through a midnight rush. If we're going to do this, we'll need to take the skies."

Tapping the buckle of his utility belt, Batman looked up at the clouds above them as the device began to consistently beep. Until the emblem began to glow, and the wind around them began to pick up. The Question looked around in confusion as a low hum of something began to grow louder. Until they were both eclipsed in a shadow from on high. What they were looking at was the latest, and perhaps greatest invention of Batman's arsenal to date. And the now primary means of his own personal transportation.

Batman7-3.png

"That's where I come in."

Dammit. I break out my taser gun, he has a glove that shoots out electricity. I use my nightstick, he has a goddamn collapsible bow in his pants. I have my kick-ass car and what does he bring out? A ****ing flying car. You just can't win with this dude.

"Yeah, it's nice, I mean if you're into the whole flying cars thing. I mean, who wants a car that can fly? I sure don't."

District Attorney Harvey Dent

"What's your impression of her?" Gilda asks, referring to my new assistant DA. Gilda's safely home now. Well, not home home because that burned down, but I was able to move what little survived the fire back to our old apartment. We're going to stay here for now, until Gilda's feeling stronger. She's still bed-ridden, and she still wears bandages on her face.

I shrug. "She's headstrong but a little standoffish," I answer.

Gilda shifts in the bed. I reach to help her, but she shakes her head. After settling herself again, Gilda asks, "Well, how do you think she'll do on the case?"

I sigh. "I honestly don't know. I don't like the idea of an outsider taking on Falcone. I mean, I don't know how confident I'd be even if it were me in that courtroom. Falcone, he's..." I trail off. Shaking my head, I say, "Well, I gave her access to all of my case files, as well as all of my research."

Gilda frowns. "What's up? You don't seem like yourself tonight."

My hand slips into my pocket, wrapping around my grandfather's lucky coin. My fingers stroke the rough, burned side. "I feel like I'm drowning, Gilda," I answer honestly. "Falcone's on retrial, the Commissioner was shot, my Internal Affairs investigation into the new Inspector was a bust, there still aren't any leads on the arson..."

"Harvey Forrester Dent. Where's that smug confidence that I fell in love with?" Gilda asks with a smile. She reaches out and takes my hand. Her hand is so warm. "I know things are out of control now, but it'll get back to normal. You know it always does."

I try to smile, but I honestly don't have the energy. "I don't know, Gilda. I thought I was going to make a difference, but things in Gotham have only gotten worse." I hang my head. "Maybe I wasn't ready for this."

"I don't believe that for one second," Gilda replies indignantly. "If there's one man in Gotham capable of setting things right, Harvey, it's you. You need to stop being so hard on yourself."

"I'm just...worried. About you."

"Don't be. I can handle myself. Now, go put on a brave face and be the man I know you are."

I nod. Maybe she's right. All of this stuff, it's been weighing on my mind for weeks now. I just need some rest, and I'll be ready to face it all in the morning. After all, if I don't, who will?

Dammit. I break out my taser gun, he has a glove that shoots out electricity. I use my nightstick, he has a goddamn collapsible bow in his pants. I have my kick-ass car and what does he bring out? A ****ing flying car. You just can't win with this dude.

"Yeah, it's nice, I mean if you're into the whole flying cars thing. I mean, who wants a car that can fly? I sure don't."

"Just step back. And for god's sake, stop talking."

Batman watches his creation descend from the clouds, in clear anticipation of it's arrival. The vehicle stops upon reaching proper altitude and locks itself in place, hovering just off of the ground infront of the two vigilantes preparing to board. The side doors simultaneously unlock, and slide back to reveal two front seats facing a highly advanced steering panel unlike any designed for a standard automotive. It took two months to build, and three to perfect, but the results seem more than worth the effort. The idea of giving himself a customized car for infantry was only the branching point from which this became a reality. What he had invented in the end was unlike anything Batman could have ever dreamed of - A true modern pinnacle of mobility.

Stepping over to the driver's side window, The Dark Knight makes his way in and assumes his place behind the wheel. As he sets in, three metal buckles automatically lock themselves in place around his shoulders and torso, assuring at least some sense of safety. Placing his hands on the wheel and disabling the automatic pilot, he turns back to The Question and notices he still hasn't moved.

batman8.png

"Well? Get in."

Stepping over to the driver's side window, The Dark Knight makes his way in and assumes his place behind the wheel. As he sets in, three metal buckles automatically lock themselves in place around his shoulders and torso, assuring at least some sense of safety. Placing his hands on the wheel and disabling the automatic pilot, he turns back to The Question and notices he still hasn't moved.

batman8.png

"Well? Get in."

"Are you asking me to be your wingman, Maverick?!"

I scurry over to the other side of the car and hop in. The seatbelt wraps around me with a metallic click. Batman grunts and we start to rise into the air.

"Let's hit it. Just be sure that your ego doesn't write checks your can't cash. What do you say we go ahead and take a ride.....a ride into the danger zone!"

"Are you asking me to be your wingman, Maverick?!"

I scurry over to the other side of the car and hop in. The seatbelt wraps around me with a metallic click. Batman grunts and we start to rise into the air.

"Let's hit it. Just be sure that your ego doesn't write checks your can't cash. What do you say we go ahead and take a ride... a ride into the danger zone!"

And all too immediately, the idea of bringing Question along for this seemed foolish. But knowing that he wouldn't have discovered this without the help, Batman simply kept quiet about his would-be partner's antics and focused on the important task ahead - not only tracking the shipping manifest's original source address and putting an end to Miraclo's production on the streets, but managing to pull off a successful flight from Gotham to New York. Best case scenerio, the craft would take bring them there in a span of twenty minutes, roughly half the time of the drive. Worse case scenerio, and they'd crash into the Hudson river due to a malfunction. Though at the moment...

"Hiiighway tooo theee daaanger zooone!"

That didn't seem like such a bad alternative.

"Computer. Restrain passenger seat's occupant."

Suddenly, Question stopped singing as he found both wrists bound to the seat. It was a security feature that Batman had installed in the event of needing to transport dangerous criminals to Arkham Island or the police station, but for this, it worked just as effectively. Even if he had allowed Question to tag along, Batman drew the line at having to hear the idiot sing in his ear for the entire drive. With a simple sneer, he looked over to his struggling passenger and leaned in with a clear malice.

"Sing another word, and I swear I'm not going to let you out of those."

The two shared a brief moment of silence, before Batman pressed a button on the console. Question's wrists were now free, much to the vigilante's chagrin.

"Now that we understand eachother..."

Pulling back on the throttle, the two watched as the car completed it's ascension and soared into the skies at a starting speed of 95 MPH. Gotham City became a blur around them, and eventually a blemish in the distance once Batman's new car finally reached altitude and took off into the night.

Batman8-50.png

"Sing another word, and I swear I'm not going to let you out of those."

The two shared a brief moment of silence, before Batman pressed a button on the console. Question's wrists were now free, much to the vigilante's chagrin.

"Now that we understand eachother..."

Pulling back on the throttle, the two watched as the car completed it's ascension and soared into the skies at a starting speed of 95 MPH. Gotham City became a blur around them, and eventually a blemish in the distance once Batman's new car finally reached altitude and took off into the night.

Batman8-50.png

I grumble under my breath as I rub my right wrist.

"Stupid Batman, thinks he's such hot **** with his fancy-"

"What was that?"

"Nothing, nothing at all."

We ride in silence for several minutes, the city lights whizzing below us and the Breyfogle Bridge that leads into New York starts coming into view.

Now I’m feelin so fly like a G6
Like a G6, Like a G6

Like a G6, Like a G6

Batman looks over and gives me a cold, hard stare. I shrug and start digging into my pockets, looking for my phone.

"Yello?"

"Hey, Vic. It's Helena. What are you up to tonight?"

"Just working on a case. Pretty much standard stuff."

"Damn. I was wondering if you could come over."

"You never know. This might not take too much longer. Tell you what, I'll give you a ring when I get done and see if you're still up."

"You're damn lucky I like you. I'm not used to having a man say no to me."

"It's my willpower. You find it sexy."

I laugh and take a glance over at Batman, his stare has becoming intensified and my train of thought suddenly comes to an abrupt stop.

"Sorry to cut this short, babe. I gotta run. I'll call you later."

"Bye."

I hang up and tuck my phone back into my pocket. "Yep, that was my lady. She's super hot, super rich, and great in bed. Jealous much?"

I hang up and tuck my phone back into my pocket. "Yep, that was my lady. She's super hot, super rich, and great in bed. Jealous much?"

"Not at all."

batman8f.png

"I just pity the poor woman that'd have to sleep with you."

"Not at all."

batman4-2.png

"I just pity the poor woman that'd have to sleep with you."

"Well, I...umm...I...I just, umm..."

Batman turns to look at me again, this time with an expression that's almost amused. I swear the bastard is smiling.

"Just get us to New York in one piece, okay?"

"Well, I...umm...I...I just, umm..."

Batman turns to look at me again, this time with an expression that's almost amused. I swear the bastard is smiling.

"Just get us to New York in one piece, okay?"

"No promises."

Careful to hide the smirk on his lips, the vigilante hits the throttle's boost and watches the speedometer spike to 125. The rear jet engines burst into full blast, effectively turning the car into more of a jet than a plane. Looking over at his radar, Batman noted their trajectory and continued piloting. In ten minutes, they'd reach Manhattan and whatever awaited them at the faux production facility. He could practically feel the rush wash over him as they peeled through the clouds.

Well. At least we haven't crashed yet.

batman9.png

Driver and I stand outside the brownstone, waiting for the occupant to come to the door.

"Can I help you?" A skinny kid wearing dark-framed glasses asks. I look him over with a passing glance. Pierced ears, nose, and lip to go with his bleached-blonde hair. This is our guy. I hold up my badge to show him the gold shield and logo.

"Patrick Pierce? I'm Inspector Edward Nygma, this is Detective Marcus Driver. We'd like to ask you a few questions about Bette Kane. Can we come inside?"

"Umm...is it necessary?"

"It's chilly out here," Driver replies. "C'mon. Cold and all that, figured it'd be the Christian thing to do and let us in and have a nice conversation indoors."

"...Okay. come on in."

He leads us into the brownstone's foyer. I begin to scan every object in sight. By letting us in, young Patrick Pierce has consented to a plain-sight search. That pretty much means Driver and I scan look around his apartment for any kind of evidence out in the open but can't go digging into drawers and flip over mattresses like we would in a search and seizure.

"So, you were friends with Bette, yeah?"

"We partied together. I wouldn't say we were friends, more like acquaintances."

"You sure? I mean, we found a few photos of the two of you partying it up at the local hotspots in the Gotham Gab. Seems you were quoted as being pals."

"That ***** Gossip Gerty will say anything about Bette she can," Patrick says with his eyes rolling. "I seriously think Bette's father was close to putting a restraining order on her."

My ears perk up at that last part. Bette Kane may or may not had a stalker. Interesting.

"When was the last time you saw Bette?"

"The night before she died. We were in the VIP lounge at Vespa's."

"Her father said he last saw her leaving out to party the night she died. Sure you didn't see her?"

"No, I didn't," he replies with a shrug. "I actually didn't go out that night."

"Stay in with your boyfriend?"

"Wha-...I didn't," he begins to babble. "I don't."

"I don't care if you're gay. I noticed it when I first walked in. Two different pairs of shoes next to the door, one is a size 11 and the other is a 13. Didn't see any pictures of girlfriends or wives when I walked in, just you and another dude."

"I would really appreciate it if you would leave now."

"Does your father know you're gay? I looked you up, Patrick. Your daddy makes a lot of money trading stocks. You get a pretty nice trustfund when you turn twenty-five and an even nicer cut when the old man bites it. Wonder if that still applies if daddy finds out his only son is gay. Maybe he cuts off the trust-fund and inheritance. Disowns his own flesh and blood."

"Please leave!" He's on the point of blubbering now. A few drops of tears run down his face.

"We will, once you tell me what you're holding back. I can tell, son. The way you're holding yourself, the way you're tapping your foot. You've been pretty forthcoming, but I'd hate to drag you down to the station. Imagine the headlines: 'Heir Charged with Murder and Outed in One Swoop!' Now that would sell some papers."

"Okay, okay!" Patrick is shaking now, tears flowing freely. I look over at Driver, who's watching it all with a blank look on his face. "I was afraid I'd get in trouble....but Bette owed some people money. Sergio, the manager of Phoenix. I owe him money too, that's why I didn't want to say anything."

"Owe him for what?"

"Drugs. Sergio always knew who to talk to and where to get the best stuff. I mostly scored X, but Bette was getting X and coke along with a few vials of H."

"Thank you. I'm sorry about what I did, but you've helped this investigation. I want your boyfriend to call me and corroborate your alibi."

I pull a card out of my jacket and lay it on the coffee table. "You have a good day, now."

Patrick sniffles and stares at the floor as Driver follows me out the door.

"Damn, that was pretty awesome," he says once we're off the stoop. "The way you get into their heads like that."

"Yeah, it works a lot better if you interrogate them with your mind instead of your fists. That's where me and the commissioner always deviated. He thought violence could solve cases, but it's not. A detective's most powerful weapon isn't his gun or fists, it's his mind. Stick with me, Driver. I'll show you how to become a real detective."

A wind starts to howl down the street, I turn my jacket up and continue walking down the sidewalk. "As for the case. We need to look into Gossip Gerty and this Sergio character. Both of them seem like promising leads."

Slowly but surely, we're assembling the puzzle piece by piece. Before long, we'll have a clear picture as to who murdered one of Gotham's most prominent socialites.

logoyvh.gif

"Hey, dad." Rick Tyler shuffled some papers around on his desk while he picked up the phone with his free hand.
"Yeah, no, I'm doing fine..." he trailed off as he held up a particular piece of paper up to scrutinize. There was a graph drawn on it, with a sharp line heading diagonally downwards. "Yeah, business is going good too."
To his relief, Rick noticed the up side down lettering and rotated the paper, which presented a decidedly more positive image of Tyler Chem's annual profits.
"How's mom?"
He put the graph down and picked up his agenda.
"No, I can't make it to lunch then. The Chinese delegation will be here."
Rick flipped through the pages, each day was packed full with board meetings, lunches and the occasional golf match.
"Well, tell her I love her and I'll make it up to her soon. Hmm, what's that?" Rick got up, turning to the window. The sun was starting to set over the Big Apple and while he hated working late, this sight of the New York skyline made up for some of those long hours. Certainly was one of the perks of being a CEO. Best office in the (thirty stories) building.
"Oh, hey, mom. Yeah, I can't make it, I just told dad."
Rick turned back to his desk, looking at the photo of him and his parents sitting on it, framed and all. It was taken a few years back, when his father had retired and handed over the reins of the business to him. There was a little hourglass on the desk too, the gift Rick had gotten when he was officially made head of the company.
"Yes, me and Jesse are fine," he said, smiling. "You didn't have me until you were well into your forties."
From the hourglass, his eyes slid over the thick folder on his desk. The front page read: "Miraclo, phase II". He picked it up, weighing it in his hands and then laughed as his mother said something.
Looking at the file in his hand, he said: "Well, you'd be surprised what modern technology can accomplish these days."

We trained for six months. That may not sound long to you, but for me...well I've got a natural affinity for having natural affinitys. Its pretty much the longest I've ever had to work for anything, but Val, Val was a harsh taskmaster. I'm nowhere near where he is, was, not at his level, but in the end he deemed me acceptable. That was 2 years ago. The very first thing I did as Mr. Terrific? I got the tech.

Cyberwear Warehouse, Central City, 2008

Mike pulled the balaclava down over his face, checking in the mirror of the van to make sure that he can't be recognised. He was dressed in all black; black sweater, black gloves, black jeans, black sneakers. All in the vague hope that he could get through this night without being seen. He took a deep breath and got out of the van. This was it. The first mission. He cracked his knuckles then winced. The security guard was sitting in his kiosk, looking bored as all hell. He was well over middle aged, definately over the hill. Mike crouched, snuck around the corner until he was sitting uncomfortably under the glass window that the security guard would speak to visitors through. It had been left open a crack to let the air in on this hot summers night. Mike breathed in as quietly as he could. This was it.

He sprang up like a living nightmare out of the dark. The guard's expression went from blank to shocked, open mouthed. Then his hand moved for the truncheon that lay on the desk next to him, hidden under a pile of gentleman's magazines. Mike wrenched the window open, grabbed the guard by the lapels of his blazer and forced himself into the kiosk. He used his momentum to knock the security guard off of the chair and onto the hard concrete floor. Dismissing the idea of cracking the old man's head open on the floor, Mike threw a carefully aimed pair of punches on the unfortunate guards head. The first would leave a lasting bruise, but hopefully no lasting damage. The second would knock him out for quite a while. Despite Val's suggestion to use lethal force, he couldn't bring himself to do it. Hopefully if the guard looked roughed up, then his grandfather wouldn't fire him. Unlikely, but hopefully. Mike didn't want the man to lose his livelyhood.

Mike opened up the computer terminal that would control the surveillance system. He uploaded a virus of his own design, one that would erase the recording of the nights events, and then erase itself. He allowed himself a brief smile. This was easier than he had thought. He opened up a manifest of the warehouse, and started his search for the things he needed from his grandfather. Again, he smirked at how easily he found them. They hadn't created a computer yet that could beat him. He left the guard's kiosk with the poor man's keys and opened up the warehouse, slipping inside. It took him ten minutes to find the crate that he was after; Cyberwear's obsolete weapons line. He took three T-Spheres, the schematics for making more, and much more importantly the black-box containing the nanite technology he required. He hastily closed the crate up and put it back in position.

The last thing he wanted was in his grandfather's personal effects crate. The fact that he kept it here instead of at the Holt Compound was really a testiment to how much he distrusted his grandson. And now cold, uncaring and unsentimental he was. A flash of black leather. It was old, it was dusty, it was out-dated, but it was his. If he was Mr. Terrific, then this was his uniform. He took it and slipped it on over his pullover. He smiled. Far too easy.

"Fair play my ass," he muttered to himself.

SUPERGIRL
:super:

I'm typing away furiously, trying to finish my homework assignment, when the door to my room opens. While continuing to type, I look over my shoulder and see Chloe walking in. "Hey, roomie. How was class? Meet any cute boys?" I smirk.

"None today," Chloe laughs. She walks over to her side of the room and drops her backpack onto her bed. As she unzips it and begins sorting through her stuff, she asks, "What're you working on?"

"First-year composition," I report. "A two page essay on the importance of making education available to everyone." I put the finishes touches on my concluding statement and take my hands off the keyboard triumphantly. I spin around in my desk chair, facing Chloe. "Are you done class for the day?"

"Yep, yep. Alright, so get this: I was walking back from class, and I happened to pass the Talon - as usual."

"Right."

"And there was this table set up outside, like a garage sale? So I decided to check it out," Chloe explains. She reaches into her backpack and pulls out a gold necklace with a shimmering red gemstone. "And they had this on sale for, like, five bucks!" She holds the stone up to the light, looking at it proudly. "It's apparently made from a meteor or something."

I can't take my eyes off the shining gemstone. "It's so bright!"

Chloe smiles. "I know! Here." She hands me the necklace.

I turn the stone over in the palm of my hand, running my fingers along the smooth cut edges. As the stone moves, it catches the light and seems to twinkle. It's the prettiest shade of red I've ever seen. It looks like a cherry. I hold it by the chain and let the gemstone dangle.

"Try it on," Chloe suggests.

"Really?" She nods, and I feel like a kid in a candy store. I undo the clasp and drape the necklace over my chest. The red stone hangs just above my heart. I close the clasp and look at myself in the mirror. "It's beautiful. I can't believe you got this for five dollars!"

Having satisfied my curiosity, I slip the necklace over my head. I hold out the necklace for Chloe. As soon as she takes it from me, I feel a weird sensation. It must've shown on my face because Chloe gives me a worried look and asks, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I just feel a little lightheaded," I explain. I press the back of my hand against my forehead. I don't seem to have a fever or anything. I close my laptop and stand up, the sensation still passing through me. "I think I just need to have something to eat. I didn't have a lot for breakfast."

Chloe nods, but she still looks worried.

I cross the room to our makeshift pantry - which really consists of nothing more than a couple of shelves full of junk food. I grab a bowl of instant mac and cheese and head down the hallway towards the microwave. All the while, my body continues to feel weird.

Suddenly, someone turns the corner too sharply and runs right into me. I get smacked right in the mouth by a flailing hand. And...it hurts. "Oh, man! I'm so sorry!" the embarrassed guy proclaims. "Are you okay?"

I nod, even though it's not the truth. I mean, that hurt. Nothing hurts me. As the guy rushes off to wherever he was going, yelling back another apology, I reach up and stick my finger in my mouth. When I pull it out, I see blood.

I'm bleeding?

I turn around and start heading back to my room so I can look in a mirror. I check the inside of my mouth a few more times, and I'm actually bleeding. Not a whole lot, but that's not the point. I don't bleed. It just doesn't happen. However, even this little shock doesn't prepare me for what I see next.

"Lin?"

Chloe's standing in the middle of the room, holding her entire bed - bed frame, box-spring, mattress, and all - in the air with one hand. She stares at me like she's seen a ghost.

"Oh, God."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"