The New Ultimate DC RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Now that just leaves a group above and a group below", Garth states as he drops the charred body of a Dark Circle terrorist.

"Saturn Girl, Karate Kid, and Shadow Lass take the upper level and clear it out. Brainiac Five and I will take care of the group below us. Keep communication channels open, and try to leave one alive to interrogate later."

I follow Garth into the elevator. I activate my thermal scan as the same generic music plays inside the elevator.

"I detect heat signatures on the immediate left of the elevator door. Three, the other seven soldiers on this floor are scattered out."

The elevator dings and I look at Lightning Lad.

"Ready when you are, sir."

"Stand back", Garth says to Brainiac as he steps up to the lift's door. Pressing the button on the control panel to the door's right, Garth engages the emergency stop to the elevator.

Lightning crackles across his body as he reaches out and pries the elevator door's open just enough to stick his hand out.
Immediately Garth unleashes a torrent of electrical energy into the hallway. The sounds of men screaming is heard above the cracking thunder of the lightning.

The screams stop in a matter of moments, and Garth releases one final burst of energy before stopping the attack.

Pushing open the doors enough for them to get out, Garth leads the way into the hall.
The smell of cooked flesh hits their nostrils hard as the two Legionnaires stand over the fallen bodies of three Dark Circle terrorists.

"All right, Brainy. Let's go hunt down the rest of them. And, remember, we need a prisoner to interrogate afterward, so make sure that at least one is left alive."

"All right, Brainy. Let's go hunt down the rest of them. And, remember, we need a prisoner to interrogate afterward, so make sure that at least one is left alive."

"Understood." I say as I start to walk down the hallway.

The thermal scan indicates that there is one soldier in the room to my right.

I turn and bust through the wall. He fires his rifle at me. The blasts burn my skin, but I don't feel it as I point my right palm and him and activate my weapon system.

"Please, don't kill me!" The soldier cries as he drops his weapon.

"Mercy is not in my operating system."

A blast leaves my hand and strikes the soldier as he falls dead to the ground.

I scan the area quickly and report to Garth.

"Our recent activity has alerted the other members on this floor, they are currently moving towards our location."

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon holds on to Sage as they steer through the streets.

She feels changes in his breathing paterns.

He's holding it in but Sage is in no shape to fight right now. He is hurtin' badly I should've gotten him to the hospital...but but there would've been too many questions. Welcome to the double-edged sword of a dual life.

Rhiannon says, "So what exactly are we..."

Just then a cat darts out. causing Sage to hit the breaks hard. Rhiannon grips on a little tighter and Sage lets a scream through gritted teeth.

She yells, "Pull this thing over right now!"

Sage complies and Rhiannon gets off and looks at Sage.

She says, "Face it this whole playing through pain mentality isn't going to work for us right now. I held on to you but not that hard and you were in obvious pain. I gripped tighter and you were about to double-over. If we get into a bad situation with the bad guys and they discover you're hurt; Sage they aren't going to hesitate to kill you first. The sharks will smell the blood in the water."

Sage just stares at Rhiannon and she says, "I'm not wild on the idea of you getting killed. Do you have some kind of two-way communication system we can use that will allow me to to the leg-work will you do some recovery in the shadows?"

Sage continues to just stare at her and Rhiannon says, "Look we're working together on this I've trusted you with everything, how about you trust me on this one?"

"I would, but you admitted it yourself back there, you're not used to this sort of stuff," I tell her bluntly.

I jump back on the bike and start the engine again. I look to her and she just stands there, not moving. With a sigh, I pull out an earpiece from my inside pocket and give it to her.

"We go back to the Carnival, where we can find them. I'll be near the Big Top, while you go around talking to the contacts. Most of them will be there, it's the event of Gotham tonight. If you get into any trouble, you tell me straight away," I instruct her sternly as she begins to move to get back on.

"I'm still driving," I mutter to her as I carry on back down the street.

"I would, but you admitted it yourself back there, you're not used to this sort of stuff," I tell her bluntly.

I jump back on the bike and start the engine again. I look to her and she just stands there, not moving. With a sigh, I pull out an earpiece from my inside pocket and give it to her.

"We go back to the Carnival, where we can find them. I'll be near the Big Top, while you go around talking to the contacts. Most of them will be there, it's the event of Gotham tonight. If you get into any trouble, you tell me straight away," I instruct her sternly as she begins to move to get back on.

"I'm still driving," I mutter to her as I carry on back down the street.

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon & Sage arrive at the carnival. They park and Sage sits on a bench near the big top.

Sage says, ""Remember slightest sign of trouble all bets are off."

Rhiannon says, "Oh don't worry I'm a big girl right now. I'll be okay. Just don't be too late if I'm in trouble."

She begins to mill around crowd and Sage asks, "How am I coming in?"

She pulls out a cell phone and says, "Hey dear...yeah I can hear you just fine I'm sorry you're not feeling good either...well maybe I'll fix that when I get home...now what is it you want me to look for?"

Just then someone bumps into her and says, "Excuse me miss."

Rhiannon replies, "No problem."

She then says to Sage (with the phone still up to her ear), "I just bumped into someone I'm okay. "

Sage asks, "What did he look like?"

She says, "About 6'6" 270 black hair dark glasses scar on the upper lip and a diamond stud in his right ear."

Sage says, "Check your pockets."

Rhiannon pulls out a note she says, "I got a note saying meet at the dunking booth 15 minutes. Whadda you think?"

Red Hood

The Chase Part VII

The dark skies roll over the dimly lit city of Gotham. In the farthest stretch of the industrial district, a lone plot of land lies in the shallow darkness of the night air. Four small buildings that make up the long forgotten Vertigo Labs rest behind a closed net of run down chain link fences. The doors to the buildings are shut tightly, locked by chains and iron bars. The windows run vertically and horizontally in organized lines, evenly spaced with only a thick concrete hide between them. The grimy and smog stained glass tints the windows in an eerie fashion - making them just as transparent as the steel girders keeping the elderly buildings upright.

All is still at Vertigo labs; the aged compound experiencing another lonely night. But despite the appearance of inactivity and desolation, unseen acts take place inside building VL3 of the facility. Amongst the scattered shadows inside one of the labs, a figure works by the light of a flickering strip of fluorescent lights. He toils mercilessly in front of a large table covered in test tubes and beakers. He watches a solution percolate over a gas burner, the the flames blue light dancing about, illuminating the white mask over his face. As the man lets out a sigh of satisfaction, he leans back and grins beneath his facial covering. "Perfect," he says with pleasure.

"Making more of that gas, Red X?" A voice calls from the darkness. As the man turns from the table in surprise, he sees a figure emerge. Instantly he recognizes the red helmet, the black jacket, and the cocky arrogant attitude. "Or would you like me to call you Alex?" The man asks proudly. Red X's eyes grow wide at not only the astonishing return of his would be stalker, but also at the discovery that his secret identity is no longer the enigma he had hoped to keep.

"A vigilante and detective," the thief says slyly, his smooth demeanor returning. "Once again you've managed to impress me, Red Hood."

"So glad I didn't disappoint you," Todd says with pride.
"I must say," Red X begins as he begins to turn back to the table. "I'm more surprised that you've found my hideout than anything else." He says in an unthreatened manner. "Especially since we've only met twice, and both times, I left you to die."
"Well," he begins, stepping forward slowly. "Most of this was just a hunch. Thanks for confirming things for me, though." Red X frowns, irritated by his uninvited guest. "You can never be too sure of anything."

"It would appear so." He grunts. "I take it you took my advice about the re breather, yes?" He asks, taking a subtle step backward to the table.
"Well, I'm sure you expect me to say 'yes', but, then again, I could be deceiving you so you won't gas me again."

"Like you said," Red X grins. "Never too sure of anything."
"How's the facial cream working out?" Todd asks, nodding slightly. "Dagget's research anything like your original work on the project?"
"So you know about that too," X growls. "Then you know how hard I worked here to advance Gotham's chemistry sciences."
"Oh, yes, Dr. Sartorius. I know all about the impressive research you did here at Vertigo. Such a shame this place went under."
"Just another example of the disrespect the rich businessmen of this city show the intellectually brilliant." He says in a biting tone.
"Yes, and how despite your best efforts, all your work was bought out within a year. How much did you get from that?"
"Nothing!" He shouts suddenly, his suave demeanor disintegrating fast.
"Oh, that's right," Todd smiles. "And then your life's work was continued by countless young scientists - some of those you trained yourself here at Vertigo." Todd shakes his head, laughing slightly as he hams up his performance - doing his best to anger Dr. Sartorius. "How insufferable and degrading it must have been to watch the very same people you previously employed take credit for your work."

"Because they were sell outs." He snarls, the muscles in his arms beginning to tense as his blood boils. "I refused to be bought out! Refused to compromise on anything!"
"But patents only last so long."
"And the assets of the wealthy never end."

redx13.jpg

Jason shifts his weight to his right leg as his arms hang in the pockets of his jacket. He takes in a long breath as he watches Alex Sartorius stew in front of him, reliving the anguish of the embarrassing and infuriating ordeal of his life's story. As Red X stares angrily at Red Hood, the test tube behind him begins to steam as the fire beneath is burns. "See, Doc, I get most of it. I understand your anger, the desire for revenge - for 'compensation.' But the only thing I don't understand, X," Todd says in a falsely sincere tone. "Is why it took you so long."

As Todd inquires with an insulting voice, Sartorius simply lets out a lite sigh, relaxing his body and calming himself. As Todd's eyes stay fixed on his opponent, Red X brings his arms in close to his body, allowing the deep black cloak to slide down and cover his torso. "Isn't it obvious," he asks in a clever tone, his arms moving beneath the thick cloth. Suddenly, his extremities spring outward, a collection of small red 'x' throwing stars grasped tactfully between his fingers. "Preparation!" He shouts, tossing the sharp blades forward toward Jason.

"Holy-" Jason says, cutting himself off mid thought as he drops to the floor. The 'x's fly past him and embed themselves in the crates behind him. As Todd jumps back to his feet and turns to face his enemy, he's met with an unsettling sight - one for which he wished he were ready. Red X's arms rise quickly over his head, two capped test tubes held securely in his hands. The muscles in his arms tighten and he prepares to thrust them down to the ground in a violent toss, his care for his own well being irrelevant.

"Thought you finally had me, didn't you?" He snickers in delight.
"Well, I did think I had the upper hand." Todd says wide eyed, his body anxiously standing on his toes.
"See, what you didn't count on were the limits of a desperate man." He grins as his fingers grip the glass tubes tightly.

"Come on, Sartorius, this is crazy." Todd pleads, trying to convince his adversary to think with reason. "You'll die too."
"I might," he smirks. "This suit is flame guitarant and I've got a thick bromide foam beneath as well." Suddenly, the sound of wailing sirens echoes in the distance, and Red X's haughty smile turns to a frown. "Cops?" He grunts in displeasure. Todd shrugs his shoulders, cocking his head slightly to the side.
"Preparation."

"Argh, you fool!" He yells in rage. "You've chosen our fate!" Red X's arms twitch in one slight move as he drops his arms quickly and releases the test tubes, chucking them to the ground.

"Alex, wait-" Todd says, his plea too late. As the thin glass cylinders hit the ground, they shatter into a plethora of tiny translucent fragments. The two chemicals held inside spill out on the ground, meeting in the center and reacting in a sudden burst of pure flame. Todd leaps backward, instinctively moving to avoid the fire before him.

As he drops back and rolls behind a stack of crates, he hears a blood curdling cry beyond the blaze. As he braces himself, a wall of heat shoots past him, setting the air into a boiling hot inferno. The sound of a sizzling, popping squeal sounds, and Jason hears the thief shout in agony. He closes his eyes tightly as the air around him continues to get hotter and hotter, causing the room to turn into a literal bad place. He holds his breath as the oxygen around him burns out, the atoms reacting in a chemical explosion - a series of reaction after reaction all happening in only a few seconds.

In no more than twenty seconds, the blaze suddenly stops - cutting out in a final 'pop'. The air begins to cool, and Jason opens his eyes in faith that it is safe. As he sees only a wavering trail of gray smoke move about, he lets out a heavy breath, and begins to breath. Instantly, Todd jumps to his feet and moves out from behind the crates.

"Sartorius!" He shouts, hastily moving to where the doctor had been standing only a moment before. As Todd reaches the wall where the table once rested against he finds only debris. The table is now a smoking piece of ash on the ground, the test tubes simply shattered pieces of glass strewn about on the floor. As Jason carefully inspect the area, he discovers something he'd wish he hadn't. "Oh God..." he says in shock as he stares. His eyes move up and down the burnt outline on the floor of a body - a perfect trace of what once was Dr. Sartorius. Only charred bits of his suit and a smell of phosphine remains, a haunting sight to behold.

RedHood4-1.jpg

"Police!" A voice shouts loudly as the door at the back of the room suddenly bursts open; breached forcefully as a squad of Gotham Police storm the area. They hold their guns out forward, aimed and ready to fire at any intruder they may find. As four of the officers take their positions from their practiced breaching procedure, a man in a long brown trench coat steps between them as he enters the room. He looks about carefully, examining the torched surroundings with a scrutinizing stare. His nostrils flair as he inhales a whiff of the smell and his eyes squint tightly as he grits his teeth.

"Fan out," he says, turning back toward the officers positioned like statues. "Search everything." The officers nod and quickly spread out, moving between the endless stacks of crates and torched pillars.

Soon the man in the coat stands alone by the door, standing poised like a sentinel - watching for anything. A rush of air blows past his neck and he moves to speak but a hand comes over his mouth and gags him before he can make a sound. The man's body tightens and his neck tenses, his eyes widening as he moves to resist. "Easy, Burke," a voice says. "It's me." The man's body relaxes and the hand covering his mouth releases its grip. As the man turns his head to look over his shoulder, he sees the Red Hood standing by the door - his mask black with suit and ash.
"You look like bad place," he grins.
"You have no idea, detective." Jason replies in a whisper.
"Got your call," he begins, moving his hands into the pockets of his long coat. "Where's Sartorius?" Jason nods to the wall at the far end of the room, directing the detective with his gesture.
"All over." He says in a harsh tone. Detective Burke tilts his head in confusion, unsure of what the Red Hood means. "Before I could apprehend him he went rogue and dropped a couple test tubes on the ground. Tried to take me out with him."
"And how do I know you didn't throw the test tubes at him?" The detective inquires, eyebrow raised.
"Here," Todd says, reaching into his pocket. He pulls out a small voice recorder, the one he has previously at his residents. He holds it up to Burke, offering it as a gift. "I taped the whole thing from the moment I got here. Figured it would be an easy way to get him convicted without a reasonable doubt. Take it as my personal testimony." Burke reaches up and takes hold of the recorder, holding it carefully between his fingers.

"Not bad, 'Hood." He says in a pleased voice. "But I think the DA will take it as 'Exhibit A'." He smiles in a proud manner, trying to make the dark moment a bit lighter. Though he can't see the Red Hood's face, he senses a disgruntled vibe from his body language. "Problem?"
"Nothing, Tom," he says, brushing off his feelings lightly. "Just disappointed, I guess."
"Disappointed?" He scoffs. "Six cases you've worked with me to catch some of these nut jobs and not once have you been 'disappointed'. What's different this time?" Todd pauses, looking to Burke and staring at the man closely.
"He was a clever SOB, Tom. Just a shame the chase had to end like this." Burke chuckles as he raises his free hand and takes hold of Todd's shoulder.
"Gonna miss the game of cat and mouse, huh?" He says with a smirk.
"No," Todd says as he takes in a breath of smokey air. "It's just that, even after I had him cornered - the b****** still found a way to escape."
" ... I can never figure you out completely, Hood." Burke says, surprised by his ally's answer.
"What can I say?" He says in a perkier tone. "I like to keep you guessing." Jason laughs subtly as he walks past Detective Burke and makes his way through the open doorway into the hallway.

"Oh, Hood," Burke calls, causing Todd to stop for a moment. "There's a unit down the stairs, an officer guarding the front entrance and two SWAT teams in the lot outside." Jason grunts in frustration as he looks over his shoulder to Burke.
"You gotta get Gordon to get over his vigilante-phobia."
"Hey, you're lucky I'm on your side." Burke smiles. "Back's wide open." Jason smirks as he turns looks forward.

"Who'd you say tipped you off?" He asks as he walks slowly down the hall.
"Oh ... just some guy." Todd smiles widely as he raises his hand over his head and gives Burke a wave. He runs forward and turns at the end of the corridor, ducking behind the corner and disappearing into the shadows.

Burke shakes his head as he turns back into the room, laughing to himself quietly. As he fidgets with the recorder in his hand he brings it up to his face, staring at it thoughtfully. As he muses one of the officers approaches and Burke looks away from the small device. "What have you got?"
"Nothing, sir." He says in a monotone. "Room's tight as a safe - no way anyone got out."
"I don't think he escaped, officer." He says, making a gesture toward the impression of ash on the wall a head. The officer stares at the wall and then turns back to the detective, a look of uncertainty on his face.
"What makes you say that, sir?" He asks with an inquisitive voice.
"Oh," Burke says as he slips the recorder into his pocket. "Just a hunch."

Last edited:
wwsymbol-thumb.gif

TWO YEARS AGO

Kandahar, Afghanistan

Last night's raid was particularly successful; three senior members of the Taliban all brought in, not a single person wounded or killed on either side. While I confess that I'm not entirely comfortable running snatch-and-grab missions for the Army, if it means bringing this war to an end sooner rather than later, I am willing to do my part.

Only a handful of people outside of my squad know the events that took place after my first transformation. Great measures were taken by the Pentagon to keep my identity secret, though my image was made public almost immediately. Dubbed 'Wonder Woman' by the press, I've spent the last year providing humanitarian aid in the region, aiding reconstruction efforts, and defending the people here from those who would do them harm.

Of course, I'm not always met with the warmest of welcomes: many towns here still follow the brutal and archaic Sharia Law, in which women must remain covered and are treated as property. A woman with the kind of power I wield is essentially a blasphemy to the men in many of these places, and I am often shunned as a devil or a djinn. It's more of an exception than the rule, but there is rarely a week that goes by where someone doesn't spit at me or throw a shoe.

Aside from the cultural gap, I'm finding myself running into conflicts of interests more frequently. I want to promote peace, but my association with the military has given me the stigma of being a 'war-monger.' I've caught wind of more than one rumor saying that the only reason the Army has not tried to recruit Superman is because they already have me. My mission, the quest for which I was created and given life, means I cannot be subservient to any authority but the gods themselves. But while Wonder Woman may be independent, PFC Diana Prince still has to answer to the chain of command.

Which brings me to last night's raid. Intelligence had gathered that Taliban fighters in the outlying regions were smuggling in shipments of uranium from 'unidentified suppliers'--the diplomatic way of saying 'Iran.' While their facilities were far too crude to produce a nuclear weapon, dirty bombs capable of spreading lethal clouds of radiation were well within their reach. Stopping the development of those bombs would potentially save thousands of lives. My squad was deployed alongside two squads of Rangers and one of Delta Force--which was odd, considering we were regular infantry. Once the area was scouted, the call went out for Wonder Woman to step in, and I found myself going solo against a camp of over three hundred.

It went off without a hitch.

Now, I'm standing in the back corner of a dimly-lit room with one of the senior Taliban leaders seated at a table, hands cuffed behind his back. Two CIA agents are pressing him for information, employing the good-cop/bad-cop routine on him, hoping to get the name of their uranium suppliers. Stopping them once isn't going to stop them permanently, unless we can shut down their trade routes completely.

So far, he has refused to cooperate. When all the usual techniques fail, they call me in. I pull the Lasso from my hip, and loop it around him--making sure it's loose; the last thing I need in this sort of situation is to be accused of torture. I lean over the table, and look him right in the eye.

"You are going to tell me everything I need to know."

Two hours later, I'm in the mess hall, having reverted back to my normal form not long after the interrogation. I'm still having trouble making sense of the answers I got from him.

"Heya Prince," Corporal Trevor says as he sits down next to me. "Heard you were 'incapacitated' during our operation last night. Too bad you missed it; Wonder Woman showed up again and started cracking skulls, then left just before you recovered. Shame how that keeps happening."

He winks, and I return his grin.

"Yeah, it's too bad I keep missing her. Maybe even a little suspicious. I mean, have you ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same place at the same time?"

"Don't say that too loud, Prince--you'll give the grunts a little something to think about at night."
I laugh, and he laughs right along with me. Once the laughter fades, there's a moment of uncomfortable silence before Trevor breaks it. "So, find out anything interesting from your arm-twisting session tonight?"

"A lot, actually,"
I say uneasily, then lower my voice so the other grunts in the mess hall don't overhear me. "Maybe too much. The Taliban is getting their uranium from Iran, which isn't really that much of a surprise. They're also shipping in anthrax and VX gas capsules. They're wanting to step up their attacks, and it's because of...because of me."

"You? You're saying the war's getting tougher because you're out there winning it for us?"

"Well...yeah. They can't stand up to Wonder Woman in a straight fight, so they want to up the ante. And it's not just the Iranians who are sending in weapons. The Russians, the Chinese, the North Koreans--bad place, he said even the EU is getting spooked. With Wonder Woman on the front lines and Superman back home, the rest of the world is getting nervous, and wants to take us out to 'level the playing field,' I think."

"Jesus....so what are you gonna do?"

"Finish my tour of duty, do what I can while I'm here, then go home...and stay there."

"You're quitting?! With everything you can do, you're gonna hang it up?"

"No, no. I just...I think I can do more good back home than here. It's not just the bad guys out here that we need to worry about. Have you heard of some of the freaks and monsters that have been showing up lately in Metropolis? What if more of them turn up in other cities? I can be there to help out at home, and moving away from the war should de-escalate things a little."

"Well bad place, Prince. If that's the way it's gotta be, then that's the way it's gotta be. Just make me one promise."

I raise an eyebrow.

"What's that?"

"It's a binding statement declaring future intent to do something--"

I cut him off with a punch on the shoulder.

"I meant what promise, you smartass."

He pauses for a moment, then looks down, not able to look me in the eye.

"When you go? Let me go with you."

We trade uneasy looks, until finally I nod, and we finish our meal in silence.

Red Hood

The Chase Epilogue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Days earlier

The sun shines brightly over the buildings of Philadelphia. Unlike Gotham, here there is light - beautiful views of the city and its landmarks. The blue sky above nurtures the ground below, giving hope and a pleasant augury.

A black limousine drives down the tight streets of the city, passing through on its many journeys around the country. The interior is a light red, a brighter color - more inviting and soothing. The man inside lets out a sign of peace as he stares out the open sun roof above him. He sits in the front of the back portion of the limo, leaning back against the comfortable padding of the seat. On his face rests a red mask, one resembling that of a mask common in classic theaters. He stares through the holes in the mask, watching as the clouds pass by; the image of the sky mollifying and relaxing.

As the car comes to a red light, it stops quickly - resting in place in the road. The man watches through the back window as the cars behind him come to a stop, waiting impatiently for the light to turn green. As he watches, he feels a breeze blow through the opening in the roof.

Suddenly, a dark figure leaps through the sun roof and lands comfortably in the open seat at the back of the limousine. The figure wears a mask too, the pattern one reminiscent of a skull. Across the white of the mask is a red "x", a trade mark - his sign. "Morning, Mr. Sorrow."The figure says in a cocky voice. " Great weather we're having, isn't it?"

redx11.jpg

"Very," the man replies, unfazed by his unexpected guest. "I take it you're here for a reason, yes?" He asks in a calm and intimidating voice. The figure grins beneath his mask.

"Of course," he replies simply. He reaches into his cloak, thumbing for something in particular. His arm pulls back and he reveals an envelope rolled into a tube. A fine string holds the package in place, tied neatly in a bow. The Red X waves the package in the air, "I came across this the other night while raiding a Goth Tech laboratory. Word on the street is you're looking for information on dimensional technology."

"That I am," the man replies simply. He leans forward, folding his hands together and holding them to his chin. "And what type of information does that envelope contain?"

"Ever heard of Project Ghost?" He asks with a clever stare. "A recent project conducted at Goth Tech. Research included advanced studies in intangibility, transparency, and even teleportation." The man, Mr. Sorrow, broods, making a noise that shows his interest.
"Intriguing," he exclaims. "But, does any of it actually work?" The "X" smiles.
"Oh, yes." He says brashly.
"How much?"
"Twenty grand." Red X replies in an unwavering voice. "I hear you really want it."

"Hm...that I do." Mr. Sorrow reaches over to a drawer under the liquor carousel at the side of the vehicle and opens it. He reaches inside and pulls out four large stacks of bound hundred dollar bills. The Red X watches in titillation - his greed piqued by the vast amount of money stored inside the compartment. Mr. Sorrow holds the four stacks in his hands as he closes the drawer, turning to the thief and watching him through the empty white slits in his eyes. "Here." He says, throwing the stacks over to the man across the cab. He motions to Red X, and he throws the envelope, Sorrow catching it with ease in his hand. As Mr. Sorrow opens the envelope, the thief collects the stacks and stores them somewhere in his hood, tucking them away carefully.

"Ah, good." Mr. Sorrow says in a pleased voice as he stares at the papers inside. "Glad to do business with you."
"Name's, Red X." The thief says proudly. "If you're interested in doing business on a more ... permanent basis, let me know."
"That I will." He says still looking at the papers, captivated by the information before him. As Mr. Sorrow keeps his attention on the papers, Red X stares at him curiously.
"Hey," he interjects, causing Sorrow to look up. "I gotta know. Why do you wear that mask?" Sorrow chuckles, amused by the man's gall.
"Why?" He asks with a smirk, putting his hand to the edge of his mask. "Do you really want to know?"

Jsorrow.jpg

The thief pauses, thinking for a moment before answering."On second thought, never mind." He says simply. "I'm alright."
"Smart man," he says, putting his arm back down at his side. "Hope to see you again, X." He says, waving him off.
"Same." He says with a grin. Red X leaps in a staggering bound, jumping through the sun roof and into the air. His feet connect with the roof of the car as he lands, catching his balance while the limousine continues to drive. He tenses his body and jumps once more, leaping to the sidewalk and into a full on sprint. Mr. Sorrow watches him from inside the car as the thief runs off into an alley, and disappears from sight.

"Fool," he laughs. "I'd have paid triple for this information." Mr. Sorrow puts his hand to a control pad at the end of the armrest. He pulls a switch and the piece of glass separating him from the driver's seat begins to move downward. "Mr. Goyer," he says, speaking to the driver directly.

"Yes, Mr. Sorrow." He replies respectfully - as any paid employee would.
"Take us back to the penthouse. I've got work to do."
"Yes, sir, Mr. Sorrow." Flipping the switch again, the window goes back up - isolating the driver from the cab. As Sorrow sits in silence, he stares once more at the papers before him with excitement.
"Oh, this...this is only the beginning."

The limousine makes an unexpected turn at the light, moving right instead of straight. It follows down the tight streets of the city as it drives to its new destination. It passes by the various streets, moving by the people of the city as they go about their everyday tasks. As Mr. Sorrow smiles beneath his mask, the sky seems to grow a bit darker - and the sun a little less bright.

Last edited:
OOC: Previously...

ULTaquabanner2.jpg

Orin's own thoughts are...struggling to say the least at that very moment. His own feelings towards the people of Poseidonis seem to be conflicting with his feelings towards the Gods. Or rather it seems that his feelings towards the Gods are being amplified 10 fold. Something is not right; he does not feel like himself. He shouldn't have to be fighting his own self on his own thoughts and feelings. What could possibly--

Cora. She has a remarkable sway over him. Orin understands this now. That is how he cannot recall anything from after the ambush with the Shalakites. One second he was battling heroicly with Rodunn and the next waking up in an underwater grotto with Rodunn no where in sight. It would seem that just as Orin has a sort of telepathic bond with the creatures of the sea, so does his mother. Hence it makes sense how Nuliajuk--Mother of all Sea Beasts--controls and tames the most vicious and ferocious of sea behemoths. And now she is trying to control Orin, using his own inner pain and vendetta against the Gods to sway him over to join her.

Grabbing her hand, Orin pulls it away from his face and tries to get himself together.

"No, mother. I will have no part in this genocide. The people of Poseidonis are good people. Some of misguided, yes...but slaughtering them like krill is not the way."

"Your father knew the risks of angering the Gods, but did what he did for the good of our people; for the good of our family. I, your mother, risked everything so that you could swim in the very water your swimming now and you turn against me?"

Letting out a roar of rage, Cora transforms back into the gargantuan and vile Nuliajuk. Swimming for his coral blade, Orin finds himself stopped in his tracks as his mother grabs him with one of her hands. The snake/eel tentacle like heads all approach Orin, screeching and screaming for hunger.

"You are destined to purge the Seas, and free all marine life from the old, dark, grip of the Gods. You will cut off the head of Poseidon, and use his trident to obliterate all the other Sea Gods and Godlings. You will summon the mighty Devilfish, former champion of Atlantis from his slumber, and together you will eradicate any danger that comes to Atlantis. You do not have a say in the matter, my son. Whether you like it or not, you will submit to the destiny that has been laid out for you."

"AAHH!! AAARRGGGH!!"

Nuliajuk begins to probe Orin's mind once more with her telepathy, this time much less subtle and much more brutal. With no disregard for the fragility of her son's mind, Orin goes through excruciating pain. The screams ripple and echo throughout the water, which would cause even the mightiest creatures of the deep swim away out of fear. Utilizing all the skills and powers he possesses, he attempts to fight back his mother with a telepathic wave attack.

~My...destiny...is...IS MINE TO MAKE!!~

Letting out a powerful telepathic cry, he off-balances Nuliajuk and she staggers backward, colliding into the wall of the underwater grotto. The walls start to cave in, and Orin immediately swims for his attire before making for the exit. Howling and crying his mother Cora swims behind him, chasing after her son as though he was mere prey.

Last edited:
ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon & Sage arrive at the carnival. They park and Sage sits on a bench near the big top.

Sage says, ""Remember slightest sign of trouble all bets are off."

Rhiannon says, "Oh don't worry I'm a big girl right now. I'll be okay. Just don't be too late if I'm in trouble."

She begins to mill around crowd and Sage asks, "How am I coming in?"

She pulls out a cell phone and says, "Hey dear...yeah I can hear you just fine I'm sorry you're not feeling good either...well maybe I'll fix that when I get home...now what is it you want me to look for?"

Just then someone bumps into her and says, "Excuse me miss."

Rhiannon replies, "No problem."

She then says to Sage (with the phone still up to her ear), "I just bumped into someone I'm okay. "

Sage asks, "What did he look like?"

She says, "About 6'6" 270 black hair dark glasses scar on the upper lip and a diamond stud in his right ear."

Sage says, "Check your pockets."

Rhiannon pulls out a note she says, "I got a note saying meet at the dunking booth 15 minutes. Whadda you think?"

"Go for it," I tell her as I get up from my bench.

The sidelines never really were my speciality. I got up, frustrated and looked around the grounds. I look at the various games, looking for anything that might catch my interest, but nothing particularly does. I grudgingly stroll back to the bench and sink down.

"How's it going?"

"Go for it," I tell her as I get up from my bench.

The sidelines never really were my speciality. I got up, frustrated and looked around the grounds. I look at the various games, looking for anything that might catch my interest, but nothing particularly does. I grudgingly stroll back to the bench and sink down.

"How's it going?"

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon responds heading to the dunking booth, "All things considered I am a nervous wreck. How did this guy know to give me the note? How do I know he isn't connected with Thompson? How can we be sure this is even connected with our situatuoin?"

Sage says,""When you do an experiment does it always turn out right on the first try? Or do you normally have to go through a lot of trial and error?"

She replies, "Trial and error any scientist will tell you" with realization slowly dawning her "that."

Sage responds, ""Welcome to the wonderful world of criminal investigations Rhiannon."

Rhiannon arrives at the booth and says, "I don't see him I..."

Just then a hand clasps over her mouth and pulls her behind a tent Sage says, "Rhiannon!"

He quickly turns her loose and the gentleman she bumped into earlier says, "Sorry I had to that I'm kind of a bad situation if I get caught helping to you I'm in trouble."

He removes a black wig and the diamond stud and says, "My name is Franks I work at the Gotham Towers as a security guard on the upper east-side."

Rhiannon says, "Okay do you mind telling me what's going on and what you're talking about."

Franks says, "I hear things where I work at and sometimes I know where they fit in. The other night about three days before the murders I was working a party for some kid's college graduation parents got a lot of money rented out one of the floors for their party. I was in the store room helping one of the bus-boys, nice-kid needed help liftin' one of the boxes of napkins. I heard through a vent I heard someone talking on a cell phone about someone named Langstrom funny first name Syrus Simus something like that."

Rhiannon says, "Silas"

Franks continues, "Yeah that's it. Anyway this person says Silas won't be an issue to deal with much longer he'll announce he's stepping down in 6 months, but Palmer will be the issue and once she is gone it's smooth sailing. Just make sure you get her she's working on a project day and night. She's just about finished and from what I've heard if it works it could cost stock-holders at Devon-Price billions in Government contracts."

Rhiannon looks puzzled for a moment.

Devon-Price they're our competition why would someone at Wayne Enterprises be worried about them losing money?

Franks hands Rhiannon a couple sheets of paper and says, "This is the guest list anyone on there you know."

Rhiannon begins scanning the list she sees a name that makes her blood run cold.

She says, "I see one. Why are you telling me any of this?"

Franks replies, "Because I saw leaving Wayne Enterprises on TV you looked so upset. I figured I could trust you. Anyway that's all I know I figured you might be able to get that information to the right people."

Rhiannon asks, "Why not go to the police?"

Franks says, "They'd ask too many questions, and if my bosses found out that I made off with the list I'm toast."

Rhiannon says with a tear in her eye, "Thank you. You better get going if you lose your job at the Towers over all this call me." She writes down her name and number on napkin and says, "I can get you on at Wayne Enterprises."

Franks says, "Sure thing. Good luck"

He leaves and Rhiannon begins to weep openly.

Sage asks, ""What's wrong Rhiannon?"

She composes herself and says, "Sage the only name I recognize on this list is Emily Patterson's. She's our liason to the board of directors. No wonder Buchinsky was able to slip through security she helped him from inside the building. That's why she was there already no one mentioned having called her, and Throckweller is connected to her because I found the bodies and no one else called them but they knew exactly where to go. Not to mention it would take two people working in unison to get past the security systems. Sage they both want me dead. Emily was my friend Throckweller must've gotten to her or....or maybe I'm going crazy."

Rhiannon closes her eyes and feels another tear fall.

The Gordon family sat in a stony silence as Jim drove the car to the travelling fair. Sarah looked into the back at the three kids sitting there, at least one of whom wouldn't meet her eyes.

"So, Stephanie, how's school going," Jim asked, brushing his mustache self-consciously. Barbara continued to glare at everyone within spitting distance.

"It's going good, Mr. Gordon," Stephanie said hesitantly. James smiled at her and squeezed her hand comfortingly.

"Please, call me Jim," Gordon said, silently hoping she never would. James' dates had a tendancy to not stay around for long. That said, Stephanie had lasted the usual two week period, so maybe there was hope for thee nervous blonde. He pulled into the carnival's car parking space, and looked around with vague amusement.

"Seems like half of Gotham's turned out,"
As I step out of the car I frown, slamming the car door roughly. "I don't know why I had to come," I say in an irritated voice. "I've got things I could be doing at home," I pout, folding my arms across my chest. "Besides, carnivals are for kids."

"You're a sexy mother ****er, yes you are", smiled the Joker as he stood in front of a large mirror, dressed in his ringmaster garb.

"Place is fillin' up fast, boss", stated Croc as he handed the Joker his jacket.

"Of course it is, Croc-pot", laughed the Joker.
"These people have been stuck in the same old shell that has imprisoned the rest of society, and they're positively dying for release!"

"And I'm gonna give it them", the Mad Jester finishes as he pelvic thrusts the air with his tongue hanging out.
"Nice and hard!"

"I want the acrobats on first, then Ragdoll with his escape artist routine. After that, you're up with your feats of strength, then the animal acts."

The Joker finished buttoning up his shirt and snatched his cane from it's resting place against the wall near the door and exited the trailer.

"Firebug is on next with his scorcher of a performance, and we will finish with Azrael and his dazzling blades of death."

The Joker entered in the back of the massive main tent that stood in the middle of the fair grounds. Peering into the main room, he saw as the stands were quickly filling up.
The VIP section was still missing some of the more high profile guests, but the Mayor and a few of his underlings were already seated and conversating amongst themselves.

"Mmmmmm", the Joker licked his lips.
"I can feel their apprehension. It's quite delicious."

"Time?"

"Still got fifteen minutes, boss."

"Good", the clown grinned a toothy smile.
"Make sure everything is ready, Croc. Gotham is our grandest stage, so everything must be perfect."

"Everything and everybody is all set up and ready to go-"

"I don't care", snapped the Joker as he spun around and got right in the massive Croc's face.
"Check it again! And again after that if you have to!"

"Yeah", stammered Croc as he stepped away from the mad clown.
"You got it, Joker."

"Good", the Joker smiled warmly as he waved Croc away.
"Now run along! Shoo!"

As Croc ran out the tent, the Joker chuckled to himself as he straightened his bow tie and jacket, awaiting for the show to begin.

Frankenstein walked through Gotham’s streets slowly and surely. A rage-filled confusion contorted his face. How could one of his own do such a thing? How could one of his own convert? Why would anyone prefer this to his homeland?

He looked at a measly piece of paper stapled to a run-down tenement’s wall.

“Cat missing: $1,000 reward.”

Would the rich do this for a man they didn’t know?

Capitalism.

Disgusting.

He continued on his mission. Where did she live again?

He found it. It was surprisingly run-down. From what Frankenstein had heard, she had done well in America. Hadn’t the Americans employed her for some big secret job? What was she doing here?

Had she escaped Russia to come to this slum?

He was ready to open the door and find her apartment, when a hand brushed against his thigh.

Frankenstein turned around. Someone was trying to pick his pocket.

Frankenstein smirked.

“Bastard.”

The man looked defiant. He was a poor man living in a poor neighborhood.

Yet another beacon of capitalism.

“Freak.”

Had this man honestly tried to take money from him, a monster? Was this man insane?

“You’re lucky I don’t have money on me.”

The monster’s smirk became frighteningly malicious.

“If I did, I would have killed you.”

The thief’s eyes widened. He paled. He shook.

“I… I…”

“Shut up.”

The thug nodded in horror.

“That said, you didn’t harm me in any way, nor could you have.”

The thief saw a sign of hope.

“Still… Nobody ****s with Frankenstein.”

His smirk vanished, and his eyes narrowed. He picked up the thug who had tried taking his money. He picked the bastard up, and threw him to the ground.

The thug was alive, but barely. He coughed and squirmed around the floor. He was helpless, crying, and in need of a doctor.

Frankenstein lifted his foot.

He heard a laugh from the distance.

“You were right, you know.” She leaned against the doorway. She was as beautiful as always. Her nightgown slid across her thighs, in a way that even Frankenstein couldn’t resist.

He stumbled for his words. “I… What do you mean?”

She smirked. She knew she had him. She always had him.

“ ‘Nobody ****s with Frankenstein.’ Then again, it would have been better phrased, ‘Who wants to **** Frankenstein?’ I know I don’t ”

She leaned on the doorway to the apartment building, using one hand to muffle her giggling.

“Get him to a Doctor, Frank.”

Frankenstein looked down at his predator/prey. Minutes ago, this man would have killed him for a few measly dollars. Had the guy really thought himself worthy of anything?

Frankenstein watched as the man coughed. Blood flew from his mouth, down into the sewers. Finally. A part of him went where it really belonged.

Frankenstein wanted to kick the man. Just one more time and the job would be done. Just one more time and society would lose another leach. Then again, would a capitalistic society ever be rid of those leaches? Would the world?

He thought of the leaches, poisoning his mother country.

He thought of the Russian mobsters with their doctorates and their fancy weapons.

He thought of the journalists with their lies and their mass audience.

He thought of Gorbachev…

Bastard.

Still, one kick, and he would do his duty. One kick and he would give society a gift few could offer.

How could this petty-thief be un-loyal to a fellow man? How could the poor, who had seen the horrors of capitalism, be so stupid?

Frankenstein picked him up. Frankenstein’s “Bride” walked over to him, mustering every bit of lust she could feel for such an abomination.

“That’s a good boy.” She leaned on his shoulder and put her mouth right next to his ear. She took a deep, erotic breath in. She whispered it.

“Frank.” Another smirk. “Let’s get him help.”

He was struggling with ever inch of his will against her charms. She knew she had him. She always had him.

“Seems you need some help, too, eh? Then again, what could a psychologist do with a dead man?”

It was cold and cruel. She always toyed with him like that. Why?

She walked by his side. It was always about power for her. She always liked being able to control the big bad green monster. Why did he fall for it, time after time? He knew she couldn’t love him. She had told him so. Why did she manipulate his feelings so?

Could it be? Was it truly love?

No. No. It must have been her idea of fun.

“Barbara.”he paused. “Have you ever loved?”

She cackled.

Oa

Saint Walker landed on the Sacred Steps of Oa, wincing as pain lanced through his shattered legs. He had splinted them with his ring, but he still required medical attention. He floated up the path that led to the Abode of the Guardians, ignoring the looks of disgust from the Alpha Lanterns that stood guard. One of them stepped into his path.

"No man may see the Guardians," he announced, hand out with palm flat. Saint Walker looked at it with distaste. They were always a little robotic at first. Time fixed that.

"Do not think of me so lightly," the Blue Lantern hissed, knocking the Alpha Lantern away with a burst of blue energy. The Alpha Lanterns all turned to face him at one, with swift robotic movements.

"I am not some fool impressed by party tricks," he snarled, gliding to the great doors that led to the Guardians.

Another Alpha blocked his path, but he knew this one's name. This was Boodikka. She was a big deal.

"No man may see the Guardians," she stated. Saint Walker reached out with one hand, and put it to her cold, lifeless face.

"I am sorry for what has become you. And I pray for your soul," he whispered lovingly "But do not think you can stand in my path today little tin girl,"

He pushed her out of the way and burst into the grand looking room.

"You lied to me," he shouted "Hand has returned. The Blackest Night is upon us,"

Larfleeze- Lantern Corp. Officer 2828

Oa

Larfleeze walks down one of the many outdoor pathways on the Green Lantern homeworld of Oa. As he makes his way to his destination, a pair of Green Lanterns walk up next to him and laugh. "Hey look, Brik. It's Larfleeze." The one says in a mocking voice.
"Where's your partner, man?" The other mccks. "You lose him too?"

Larfleeze stops in his tracks as his fingers clench into fists. He keeps his facade calm, giving the appearance of control - but underneath his anger swells, an emotion through his years of training he's been able to keep buried; always one step below his strength of willpower. "Hello, Jack." Larfleeze says in a forced tone of respect. "Always a pleasure to see you."

"Oh, likewise, Larfleeze." He says, grinning widely. "Where's Blooch?"
"He's returning Ev'ann Mar." He says in a commanding tone. "The ruthless murdering bounty hunter we were sent to apprehend." His fingers twitch, the sight of the rival Lantern enough to make his blood boil. "We're back to recieve new orders."
"Well, good to see you're working well with your new partner, Larfleeze." T. Chance smiles. "Hope you keep watch on him better than your last one..."
"You got something to say, Jack?" He asks, gritting his teeth.
"Nope." He mocks. "But it looks like you do." Larfleeze takes a deep breath and relaxes himself, his willpower still holding strong over his mind.

"Another time, perhaps." He says with a false smile. Suddenly, Larfleeze's ring glows. He raises the ring to his eyes to see an image of his partner suddenly appear in an emerald hologram.
"Larfleeze,' the hologram speaks. "Meet me at the Sciencells immediately. We've got a situation."
"Be right there, Blooch." The hologram soon fades and his ring goes back to an inactive state. As he rests his arm at his side, he gives the two lanterns in front of him a glare, "Excuse me," he begins. "I've buisness to attend to."

Frankenstein and his “Bride” walked side by side. He held the thug in his arms. “I can carry him for a while.”

She looked at him. She had just as much super strength as he did. Why did he always insist on doing everything? “I know.”

“You’re such a chauvinist sometimes.” She turned her eyes away from him, drifting into her own thoughts. How could the Doctor think anyone could love that… that… that monster. This thing could just walk up to her door, nearly kill a guy, and she was expected to love him? And that was to be the whole purpose of her life?

She thought back to Dr. Frankenstein. She remembered the electricity radiating through her spine. She remembered her creation. She remembered the first words she heard, nearly after the moment of her birth.
”Frankenstein should be pleased.”

Her birth wasn’t as eventful as Frank’s. No. She had always been the second-stringer. She was always number two. She was always the one who was supposed to love a weapon. She couldn’t bring herself to believe humanity had been so debased. Dead people? This man was made of dead people? So was she, but at least she didn’t mope about it. At least she didn’t go off all the time, indiscriminately harming people. She had tact. She had class. She had humanity.

Frankenstein looked at her again. Why did he always look at her like that?
“We’re the only ones of our kind…”

“Really? That’s a new one on me.”

He looked at her. How could she be so hurtful? “You never get… lonely?”

As they entered the emergency room, people began to stare at them.

She smirked. Always that damned smirk.
“Why? We’re monsters living in a world of monsters. I’ve never felt so at home in my life.” She looked at him. He was always moping. Prick.

They set the thug’s body down in the emergency room. Then they walked away.

“Someone else’ll take care of it.”
“Won’t they try and stop us?”
“Frank. Who’s honestly going to stop you?” They nonchalantly walked out of the hospital, like they simply didn’t have a reason for being there.
“I worry sometimes, Barbara. I have so much rage. So much anger. I’m truly a weapon. You know? I just. I don’t feel safe around myself any more. I don’t know who I am. I’m not sure if I ever did.”
“That’s humanity, Frank. They’re all filled with rage. They’re all confused. They’re all nihilistic and selfish and unsure of themselves. That’s okay. That’s what makes life interesting. That’s what makes life worth living.”
Frankenstein looked into her eyes. She always had a way of making him feel better, when she wanted to. He smirked. “I guess not that many humans can express that with super strength, can they?”
“So many of them wish they could. So many.”
“Why? It doesn’t make any sense! There are so many better things to do than just fight people all the time.”
“Better things? Like what?” Frankenstein thought about it for a minute. He couldn’t think of anything. Love? She wouldn’t go for that one. Suddenly he caught a glimpse of a poster. There was a carnival in Gotham.
“They could just try having fun. They could learn the joys of being with others.” He leaned in slightly. She smirked. He could be so damn naive sometimes.
“Show all the people in Africa and the Middle East ‘fun’, Frank. While you work on that, they can work of survival.”

He moved in closer. What was he doing? This wasn’t going to work.
“We can’t worry about others all the time. What say you and me-”
He moved up next to her, sliding his hand around her hip. She grabbed it, and threw him over her shoulder with it. She smirked.
“I guess I do like having fun, sometimes. And you sure know how to show it to a girl, but it’s not happening, Frank. I’ll see you some other time.”

She walked off. As he gazed at her, a poster blew into his face. It was for the carnival.
“Not like I have anything better to do…” He got up, and walked to the carnival.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sitting in his seat, Frank felt very uncomfortable. He looked around. There were so many people. So much exploitation. So much wealth. Maybe this wasn’t his best idea. No. He needed to take his mind off the world, and what better way to do that than a carnival. He shifted his position. The people around him looked uncomfortable.

lexcorp2.gif
ex Luthor

"I can't tell you how shocked I was when I heard the news," I lie to the thousands of others in attendance. "As many of you know, Adrian Veidt was a colleague and confidant of mine for years, even before I stepped into control of my father's company. He was a mentor in ways that no other man could be, he was a teacher of truths that only a handful of men in all of history had been able to see, he was a titan of industry even among other titans. Most importantly, though, he was my friend."

That much is true, at least until the last statement. One of the things Adrian taught me during my brief time under his tutelage was that there was really no such thing as 'friends' in this world, especially not for people like us. There are two and only two very distinct categories under which all people fall: assets and threats. There are those who can be used to further one's own agenda, and those who stand to interrupt it. There is no third category.

And once the Manhattan Project reaches its conclusion, there won't even be a second.

"Like many of you all here today, I looked up to Adrian in so many different aspects of life. His brilliant business tactics were the cornerstone of many strategies I employ at LexCorp even to this day. His social world-view was incredibly influential in the creation of the Society, which today includes thousands of members all looking to bring about the transformation our world needs. And even when he took to the streets as the masked hero Ozymandias, he was the first to realize the futility of violent vigilantism and turn away from their fascistic ways."

And now I come to it, the crux of why I'm here.

"Which brings me to the one question that all of us have been asking ourselves: just how did Adrian Veidt die? The police have all but ruled out an accidental death or suicide, which leaves one horrible but inevitable conclusion. We all know that the unmasking of Ozymandias was an event that sent shockwaves throughout the 'hero' community, particularly among his extremist former allies in the Watchmen. We all know many of his writings in recent years have publicly denounced his own vigilante activities and decried the motivations of those who take the law into their own hands. Perhaps Rorschach or the Nite-Owl had a score to settle? Perhaps one of the new generation of violent outlaws like the notoriously-unhinged 'Batman' took it upon themselves to murder someone they perceived as a traitor in their midst.

"Or perhaps, just perhaps, there is a larger agenda at work, and the new breed of incredibly powerful activists are removing threats to their cause. With Dr. Manhattan having mysteriously left Earth decades ago, and Ozymandias now mysteriously gone, there are precious few who can stand between the superhumans and doing whatever they please."

There are uncomfortable murmurs in the audience, some even suggesting to cut my microphone, but none of them would dare.

"I apologize for bringing up such....uncomfortable and even conspiratorial subjects at this event, but I'm afraid I just can't let it lie. A good friend was taken away, a friend to me and a friend to the world, and I will not rest until I know why Adrian Veidt is gone. There were so many things he wished to share with the world: the Society, the Manhattan Project, the Brave New World. In his absence, I will have to shoulder the load myself."

I lower my head, and take a piece of paper from my pocket. On it is a poem I had memorized while still in grade school, but the prop serves as a poignant visual aide.

"I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away". "

I step down from the podium amidst grumblings and coughs. I already know there will be many in the media considering this an awkward and disjointed rant from a man in a disshevled state of mind--a rare 'miss' for the great Lex Luthor. In fact, it couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't expect any of them to truly understand he significance of the poem--not yet, at least. Most will assume I merely picked it because it mentions the name that Veidt used during his time as a superhero, but it is so much more than that. My speech was no eulogy, but in fact a declaration of intent.

Farewell, Ozymandias. The world hasn't seen anything yet.

"All right, let's clear this level off", Garth stated after Imra's report.

Lightning Lad moved towards the door and listened. He could almost hear the nervous breathing from the other side as the three Dark Circle members waited patiently for the Legion to show.

Garth gently put his hands on the door and let out a powerful burst of electrical energy. The door blasted off it's hinges, launching like a wild projectile into one of the Dark Circle terrorist and smashing him against the wall.
The other two froze for a split second in shock, and Garth quickly fried them with a blast of energy.

The eight terrorists from down the hall came charging out after hearing the commotion, but are taken out by Garth and the rest of the team in a matter of seconds.

"Now that just leaves a group above and a group below"
, Garth states as he drops the charred body of a Dark Circle terrorist.

"Saturn Girl, Karate Kid, and Shadow Lass take the upper level and clear it out. Brainiac Five and I will take care of the group below us. Keep communication channels open, and try to leave one alive to interrogate later."

Imra gave a smart salute and brought her plasma gun back to a ready as Garth and Brainy took off.

" 'Girl' *pfft*" she snorted as she stepped into the elevator and punched in the floor.

"So Imra, I've got to say, loving the new figure hugging uniform," he said with a wink.

"Although it isn't half as revealing as Tasmia's which is a shame," Imra arched her eyebrow and looked at Tasmia, she did dress like a rut. Which, really, why did she get such a bad rap when Tasmia went around practically asking for it?

"Stop drooling you empty headed thug," Tasmia snapped back.

Imra smiled and rocked back on her heels. Oh yes... she didn't speak that way to Garth.

"That hurts," He said, mocking pain. "That really hurts,"

Imra's fingers tapped the side of her gun impatiently as she eyed Val up and down. He wasn't someone she'd ever really looked at before but he had some fine points. Imra tilted her head and continued to study him for a moment before she caught Shadow Lass giving her a look. Imra shrugged and gave her a sweet smile.

"Y'know it'd distract the bad guys if you two started making out when the doors open,"

Grabbing the minds of the two men near the elevator door Imra shut their minds down quickly, their bodies crumpling to the floor as the doors opened.

"Really Val, have some style." She said nonchalantly stepping over the limp forms.

"Shield please?"She asked via their telepathic link. A blackness covered the level and Imra projected a map to Val's mind so he could see the hallway and the terrorists.

Last edited:
"Really Val, have some style." She said nonchalantly stepping over the limp forms.

"Shield please?"She asked via their telepathic link. A blackness covered the level and Imra projected a map to Val's mind so he could see the hallway and the terrorists.
"Style? Woman please," Val said, puffing his chest out. He counted eleven Dark Circle terrorists scattered around the floor. Ten dead, one to interrogate. Easy. He dropped down into a sprinter's start. Of course he couldn't actually see anything, it was pitch black due to Tasmia's ability. That limited his moves. Of course, through the black he could see the terrorists positions, flashing a whitish colour. Of course they knew what the layout was like, even is he didn't and Imra was transmitting them into his head. He could never get used to that. There we go. He started.

He sprinted, running partially up the side of the wall and leaping onto the back of the first guard, crashing his skull into the corner and cracking it. A guard moved towards him from behind, hands out, groping blindly. Val slammed his open palm into the man's throat and crushing his windpipe. He grabbed the machine gun in his hand, firing at the nearest guards, hitting the two in the chest with a thudding sound. He dropped the gun and cartwheeled, landing behind yet another Dark Circle terrorist. Silently, he snapped his neck. Half dead. He slammed his hands around the ears of the terrorist who had tried to sneak up behind him. He took the machine gun and simply shot the last three terrorists.

He dropped the gun as he walked over to the last terrorist. He was panicking, whcih was starting to spread over to Val. One of the many downsides of Imra's special voodoo powers, the occasional overflow of emotion from the target subject. It was worse during one of their first runs, where he'd found out that the guy he was beating up was getting certain thrills over it. He walked up behind the last terrorist silently, and broke his arm in one swift movement.

"Okay kids, floor cleared. Can someone turn the lights back on?"

Wayne Manor

Alfred Jarvis sat down patiently enjoying a nice can of Harvey s, Britain's' most important and renowned beer only served in pubs. However thanks to his master, Bruce Wayne- he now could get a whole tap for near peanuts and to a middle class British man, this was a big achievement. Much more than living his daily life drinking Skol or dare he say it- Fosters whilst living in Kent home to the all middle class areas in the United Kingdom, still he tried not to think about that if Master Bruce died all of a sudden, Jarvis would have to fly back to the UK and indeed become a middle class businessman. Still this was not his concern as he watched outside his window watching his boss' new ward standing outside alone practising his Karate over and over again, near to obsession much like Master Bruce has been doing for the past three years, needless to say the butler was growing concerned over the young boy who was only fourteen years old.

Outside Wayne Manor

"HAI YA!" I let out a scream as I fly deep into the trunk of the tree with my foot causing a mild dent in it, I don't want to break it it's just a distraction and hobby for myself right now. Sweat starts to fill up all around my cloths and forehead soaking everything I'm wearing, which is surprising since it's quite cold and I'm only wearing sweat pants and I'm barefoot and topless. Sitting down I relax myself and take a sip of the bottled water next to my side drinking it down- refreshing, the grass and clean Alfred has done a good job of it. I know I don't speak to him or Mr. Wayne that much but that's because of.....

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!" Leaping up into the air with my fist behind me I lay it out on the tree and hear a crack on the wood, and see blood pouring down out of my fist, I lie down on the ground trying to reshape it- must have broken something. I try to mask the pain but it's no use, I've messed it up badly- pulling some of the fingers back I let out a skim at the sound of it and then breath easily. That hurt.

"You know, instead of breaking their hands- most kids your age are upstairs doing their homework."

I get up moving my hand about, "Yeah. Or they're picking on other kids and claiming to have lost their virginity." I say in a serious expression but Alfred starts to laugh which causes me to chuckle afterwards. "Come on, let's take a look at that hand." He says I show it to him, "It's nothing...really." He looks at it seriously for a moment. "Nothing some anaesthetic and a few bandages can't fix." He goes behind getting out the medical equipment and within a few moments it's done, I'm nearly shocked at how quickly he manages to do it.

"Wow...thanks, Alfred." He gives a dry expression "Honestly Master Richard, it's nothing like what I have to do with Master Bruce. This was almost a rest." He puts everything back into the bag as I stare at my hand, it was such a small wound yet someone fixed it for me.....that hasn't happened since Mom died.

Mom....the thought of it makes me stand still for a few moments as I stare at the ground, first cancer kills her than some gangster ends up killing Dad. I stay quietly as the wind blows through my face and hair as Alfred stares back at me. "You still miss them, don't you?" He asks me, first time I've made real contact with the two men I've been living with for nearly two months and I make it about my parents. "I...I just didn't expect them to go so quickly......" Alfred kneels down and pats me on the shoulder. "It's okay, really Master Richard. You have every right in the world to be upset, that's why Master Bruce took you in- cause his parents were killed and he was alone. Before his Uncle Philip took him in to a life of wealth to ease the pain, that's why he took you in as well." I stay quiet for a moment, "Sure doesn't look that way..." Alfred stares at me for a moment. "How do you mean?"

"Well...it's just, five months ago my Dad was killed and I ended up living in an orphanage for three of them till Mr. Wayne takes me in. I appreciate it, I really do but.....since he's taken me in, I've barley seen him at all. I know I don't talk much but, it's because I feel....alone. And, I don't like hanging out with kids my age cause they're so, immature and boring- I just...I just want to do something fun you know? I've been in two locations for the past two months, the Manor and my new school. And I just feel....trapped you know? I love practising my martial arts but after a while, I just want to do something else. I'm sorry for being a pain now, I really am. But I just feel trapped."

Alfred smiles, "Honestly Master Richard, it's okay. You've had a real tough time this last year, but you are taking it much better than most adults would. But I know you don't want to hear about that. So, I got you something to take your mind of things, I don't know if you like video games; but I found this and know how much you like Martial Arts- so if you want to play it I got the console as well."

He gets out something from his bag, a copy of Street Fighter IV and shows it to me- a huge smile comes across my face, as I take the copy. "Wow....thank you, so much!" He pats me on the shoulder again. "The console is already installed you room and ready to go, I'm glad you liked it. Now go on son, have some fun." I nod to him as he expresses a lot of happiness in giving me the gift and I run up to the room with the game.

"Understood." I say as I start to walk down the hallway.

The thermal scan indicates that there is one soldier in the room to my right.

I turn and bust through the wall. He fires his rifle at me. The blasts burn my skin, but I don't feel it as I point my right palm and him and activate my weapon system.

"Please, don't kill me!" The soldier cries as he drops his weapon.

"Mercy is not in my operating system."

A blast leaves my hand and strikes the soldier as he falls dead to the ground.

I scan the area quickly and report to Garth.

"Our recent activity has alerted the other members on this floor, they are currently moving towards our location."

"Good", smirks Garth.
"Saves us the trouble of hunting them down."

Garth and Brainiac find some cover just as the remaining Dark Circle terrorists walk in through the hole in the wall.

"Wait for it..."

Garth waits until all the men are inside the room, then the Legionnaire stands up from behind his cover and unloads a stream of energy that arcs through them all.
It's over in seconds, and all the terrorists drop to the floor as wisps of smoke waft off of their bodies.

"All right. Bind this one and bring him", Garth says as he kicks one of the terrorists in the ribs.
"Take out the rest."

"All right. Bind this one and bring him", Garth says as he kicks one of the terrorists in the ribs.
"Take out the rest."

"As you wish." I coldly mutter as blasts shoot out of my hand, killing every soldier expect the one Garth marked.

Slinging the remaining terrorist over my shoulder, I follow Lightning Lad to the lift.

"What's our next move?"

"As you wish." I coldly mutter as blasts shoot out of my hand, killing every soldier expect the one Garth marked.

Slinging the remaining terrorist over my shoulder, I follow Lightning Lad to the lift.

"What's our next move?"

"We regroup with the others, interrogate this bastard, and find out just what it is they're after here."

Garth enters the lift with Brainiac right behind him.
The lift doors close and the elevator begins to move as Lightning Lad and Brainiac head back to the rendezvous point to meet the others.

Red Hood

In the dim light of his apartment, Todd stands tall in only a pair of gray jeans. Leaning down to the floor, he picks up his dark bullet proof vest, gripping it by the shoulder strap and lifting it high over his head. Carefully, Todd pulls down the vest over his naked chest - adjusting the straps and locking it into place across his torso. As he pulls the belts tightly, he pats the thick armor with his palm and looks back into the mirror resting on the wall in front of him. He looks at his reflection - staring at the many minor rips and tears on the surface of the vest, the scarce slits of a knife wound, and the rare discolorations of scorching; each marking evidence of his battles.

"Heh," he snickers with a grin, proud of the vest's wear and tear. Were he given the chance to trade in for a new one, he'd refuse. To him the markings are badges of honor; they are lessons that he has learned, lessons he hopes to never forget. He takes in a deep breath and comes back to the present, leaving the deep recesses of his thoughts.

Jason turns around to the bed at his back and grabs a white t-shirt lying on top of the comforter. He puts his arms through the holes and pulls the piece of clothing over his body. As he adjusts the shirt around the bulky and oddly shaped vest, he walks across the room to the dresser resting next to an open window. Grabbing the phone lying atop the wooden furniture, he flips open the screen and begins dialing a number. Within seconds the phone begins to ring, and Jason puts the device to his ear. "Hello?" A voice asks on the other end, a soothing yet energetic tone.

"Yes, Harley," Todd starts. "It's Jason."
"Hello there..." she says in a throaty voice, inviting and enticing. Jason smirks widely and raises his eyebrow, captivated by the sound of her voice.
"How was the seminar?" He asks, walking forward to the closet in front of him.
"Oh, it was interesting," she says in a generous tone. "The lecture could've been a few hours shorter."
"Yes, I've always believed that we don't need training on how to deal with these psychopaths..." he says as he opens the door to the closet. "We all have degrees in psychology - we know what we're doing. Just because some of these nuts are more eccentric then the others doesn't mean we need extensive training."

"I agree completely," she says sarcastically. "Too bad you missed half of it."
"Hey, I got an important call," he lies proudly. "You know what it's like when one of my patients has a psychotic meltdown."
"Yeah... Funny thing, though. I don't recall seeing on the log that one of your patients required an immediate intervention. Wonder why that is?"
"I don't know," Todd says dismissively as he pulls a black dress shirt from a dangling hanger. "Maybe the interns messed something up again."
"Must have," she agrees reluctantly.

"Hey, I called for a reason." He explains, shifting the subject.
"Oh, it wasn't just to hear my sweet, precious voice?"
"Ha ha, no. Not completely." He smiles as he throws the shirt on in haste, maneuvering around the phone held tightly against his face by his shoulder blade. "There's a carnival in town, Harley. Looks pretty interesting. I always used to love going to these things when I was a kid and I was wondering... interested in tagging along?"

"Tagging along? ... My you have a way with words."
"You know me, Harley. I always cut straight to the chase."
"Well, I will give you that much." She laughs. "When will you pick me up?"
"How's an hour?"
"Sounds good. See you then, Mister Todd."
"See you then, Harley." As the phone line ends in a click, Todd closes the phone against his cheek and slips it into his pocket. His fingers then move to the buttons running up the middle of his shirt, locking them in the corresponding hole on the other side of the shirt. After a few seconds his finishes and rests his hands at his side. He walks to the mirror in front of his bed and stares at his reflection. He frowns in agnst, disturbed by something he wouldn't normally give a second thought.

"Two months," he says simply. "Tonight makes two months Harley and I have been dating." Todd takes in a deep breath, relaxing his body as he tries to think for a moment about the night ahead - nothing else. He puts his hand to his chest and feels the thick armor resting against his tough, scarred skin. "I blow her off and leave her hanging for crime fighting too often. bad place, I don't know why I don't just tell her who I really am!" Todd stops, closing his eyes for a second and shaking his head as he realizes the reality. "No. My identity is secret for a reason. I can't tell her ... " Todd sighs heavily as he leans back on his legs and straightens his collar. "Tonight's about her, Jason," he tells himself sternly. "Try to remember that. Bruce is out there. I'm sure he can handle Gotham alone for one night."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"