The Next Batman Director

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Kane52630, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noach

Noach Well-Known Member

I think Guillermo Del Toro Should do The Batman. He's good with traumatic stories, characters, and monsters.

2. Noach

Noach Well-Known Member

3. DChero

DChero Out of Work Superhero

GDT is my top pick for Batman and/or Green Lantern. The guy just gets it. I'd love to see his take on Hugo Strange and Deathstroke.

Unfortunately he's booked for the next twenty years (it seems).

4. batlovescatDC

batlovescatDC Tragic Love

Brad Bird is def my ultimate pick.

5. Noach

Noach Well-Known Member

20 years? That's good work, though 10/10

6. NosfeRomas

NosfeRomas Well-Known Member

Hellboy 3 first ! Enough with those GDL promises he cannot keep.

I love him, he is an awesome filmmaker but damnit man, just focus on one project at a time.

7. DChero

DChero Out of Work Superhero

Fo sho! The HB series needs a finale. Pacific Rim looks cool, but I don't see that lasting too long.

8. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Del Toro would do so well on this... Cuaron, Aronofsky, and Rian Johnson are all fine by me too. Especially Johnson and Cuaron.

9. Musty002

Musty002 Well-Known Member

Zack Synder :csad: :csad: :cmad:

10. EssayM

EssayM Just A Guy

I agree. For all the fanboy love he gets for Watchmen, he is way too hit-and-miss. Does nobody remember Sucker Punch or Legend of the Guardians?

11. bluearth

bluearth Well-Known Member

Sucker Punch was alot of fun

12. EliteF50

EliteF50 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a Snyder-directed Batman movie ever since 300. I'm so glad he's introducing the next Batman. Snyder knows how to cast, portray and costume superheroes like no other.

13. EssayM

EssayM Just A Guy

Maybe, but it sure as hell didn't have any substance, plot, or character development.

Really? Pray tell, what about 300 screamed "Batman" to you?

Definitely. He just doesn't have a clue how to write them.

Seriously, what do people like about this guy? He's basically an artsy version of Michael Bay.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Well-Known Member

I'm only familiar with Snyder from his work on 300, but, based on that film alone, I honestly feel like his style is very much ideally suited for the superhero/comics-to-film genre. He's very adept at both emphasizing and balancing the fantastical and noir with the realistic, which I think makes him very well-suited to be the guy helping to shepherd the live-action DCU into existence and tasked with introducing audiences to the next incarnation of Batman.

15. EliteF50

Everything. He understands how to properly balance the more fantastical elements with a gritty story we can get into, he gets the characters and what they mean. The fight scenes and aesthetics of 300 are perfect for Batman, too.

And? That's not his job. He's a director, not a writer. He tried writing and failed, there's nothing to hold against him anymore.

I hate comments like this. Just because he's not some indie pseudo-deep director doesn't mean he's a Bay clone. Snyder understands these characters and is a fan at heart, and it shows in his work. His movies are essentially big budget fan films, and I love him for that.

16. EssayM

EssayM Just A Guy

I get the fantastical, but where in any of his films does noir or realism exist?

Moreover, didn't we already have a "realistic" set of Batman movies?

17. EliteF50

Watch Watchmen. Take the cinematography, choreography, set design, costumes, and heart of that movie and apply it to the Batman universe, and you've got the best Batflick we've ever had.

18. DigificWriter

I haven't seen MoS yet, but everything I have seen on it conveys a very real sense of realism.

Nolan's films are 'grounded in reality', but that doesn't mean they're as 'realistic' as they're made out to be.

Also, you can impart a sense of realism to something and still have it deal with the fantastical, which is exactly what Synder did with 300 and, judging by what I've seen and heard about them, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, and MoS.

One last thing: Before anyone says that Sucker Punch wasn't a good film, its quality has nothing at all to do with Snyder's directorial and filmmaking style and approach.

19. EssayM

EssayM Just A Guy

Let me put it this way: think of the two non-adaptation movies Snyder made, Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians. Do you remember a thing that happened? Do you even remember a character's name? But they sure looked awesome, right?

That's the problem with Snyder: he's style over substance. And when it comes to something like the Batman universe, with it's great stories and rich characters, that is definitely not the approach I want.

20. DigificWriter

I haven't personally seen Sucker Punch, but a non-live-action movie like Legend of the Guardians really isn't going to have a director's personal style stamped onto it, making it a poor example of how Snyder's not a good choice to direct the next Batman film... and make no mistake, this WF film IS the next Batman film (as well as the next Superman film).

21. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

Sucker Punch was an abortion of a film. Honestly one of the worst I've ever seen.

22. DigificWriter

^ The quality of the film has no bearing on it being an example of Snyder's directing style and why said style makes him ideally suited to work on on movies in the superhero/comics-to-film genre such as MoS and this WF film.

23. EliteF50

I liked it. The visuals were fantastic, the fight scenes were fun, and I honestly liked the story. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it wasn't horse crap either, imo.

24. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

Different strokes, I guess. My brother and I hated it, and he's usually pretty easy to please when it comes to movies. It got to the point where I wasn't so much watching the movie as I was just staring vacantly at the screen. I can confirm that I was looking at a screen and that there appeared to be moving images on it, but for the life of me I could not tell you what happened in the last twenty minutes of that film.

Yeah. I really hated Sucker Punch.

25. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Snyder doesn't quite get subtext (as proven by Watchmen), and with a shallow script (like MoS')... I have some qualms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.