The Next Batman Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me put it this way: think of the two non-adaptation movies Snyder made, Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians. Do you remember a thing that happened? Do you even remember a character's name? But they sure looked awesome, right?

That's the problem with Snyder: he's style over substance. And when it comes to something like the Batman universe, with it's great stories and rich characters, that is definitely not the approach I want.
I agree but I didn't feel that way about MOS. Goyer has some issues but he knows his characters and puts heart into them. He's writing this Batman/Superman movie too. Snyder loves Batman, so I don't think he's going to JUST show him off visually. Even if they do, it's an introduction in a team-up. Im not expecting the deepest of plots or characterization. I however enjoy that theyre introducing him and another writer/director can dive really deep into Batman once the solo film is launched.

Goyer's involvement is reassuring, but I also would like to see a different director take over for the solo film.

And? That's not his job. He's a director, not a writer. He tried writing and failed, there's nothing to hold against him anymore.

Synder is writing and directing the superman/batman film. The only film he did exact same thing is a critical and commerical failure and one of the worst film I ever seen.

Synder is writing and directing the superman/batman film. The only film he did exact same thing is a critical and commerical failure and one of the worst film I ever seen.

No, he's co-writing, which he pretty much did in MOS, anyway. He's an idea guy. He's a fanboy who says "Wouldn't it be cool if [so and so] happened? Let's find a way to do it."

If you're worried about the Batman/Superman movie, then Goyer is your problem, not Snyder.

Goyer's involvement is reassuring, but I also would like to see a different director take over for the solo film.

At this point, we don't even know if they're going to do another solo Batman film, but if they do, it won't be until 2018 at the earliest.

Because they are introducing Batman in the sequel to MoS rather than in a solo film of his own, Snyder and Goyer are going to be the ones dictating the stylistic tone and direction of the character as he exists in the live-action DCU and that the Justice League movie and any future solo films using the character are going to have to follow.

My problem with Goyer is while his ideas sound good in theory, they're often not as well thought out as he thinks, and he's terrible with non-villain dialogue.

He needs to be part of a team, not the sole writer. There needs to be someone there to go "No no, David..."

Is it going to be harder to find a established quality director to take on the Batman franchise now that they'll have no input/control to how he's going to be rebooted come WF?

This WF film IS the Batman reboot, and it IS being directed by Snyder. I'm honestly surprised that the tone of the discussions here in these forums hasn't shifted in the wake of what Snyder and Co. revealed at Comic-Con.

IF we get a new 'solo' Batman film, it won't be until 2018 AT THE EARLIEST, by which time we will have already seen the live-action DCU's version of Batman appear in both MoS 2 (WF) and JL, and I highly doubt they're going to jettison that version of the character in favor of doing a reboot that is completely disconnected from the live-action DCU as it will have already been established thanks to MoS, MoS 2 (WF), Flash, and JL.

He needs to be part of a team, not the sole writer. There needs to be someone there to go "No no, David..."

Snyder is not the best guy for that position. His sensibilities seem immature.

Well, I didn't say it should be him either. He should be solely on visuals/performance.

Gore Verbinski

*wears his flame proof suit*

Isn't this whole discussion kind of moot at this point given that we already know Snyder's the man directing our Batman reboot? (since MoS 2 IS that reboot)

Isn't this whole discussion kind of moot at this point given that we already know Snyder's the man directing our Batman reboot? (since MoS 2 IS that reboot)

He is directing MoS2 but what about the Batman spinoff after that?

^ The first of any solo Batman films we get won't likely happen until 2018 at the earliest, and won't actually be a 'reboot' of the character, but a continuation of what has already been established with regards to the character and the rest of the live-action DCU, which at that point will consist of MoS, MoS 2 (WF), Flash, and JL.

And this thread is discussing the possible director of that 2018 film :D

^ I said that a solo Batman film isn't likely to happen until 2018 AT THE EARLIEST; depending on what exact plans Warner Bros. formulates for continuing the live-action DCU after JL, we might not even get another solo Batman film, or it might be several years beyond even 2018 that we do get one.

It is therefore rather pointless to speculate on who might direct a solo Batman film that is likely still several years out if it even happens at all.

Let me put it this way: think of the two non-adaptation movies Snyder made, Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians. Do you remember a thing that happened? Do you even remember a character's name? But they sure looked awesome, right?

That's the problem with Snyder: he's style over substance. And when it comes to something like the Batman universe, with it's great stories and rich characters, that is definitely not the approach I want.

Yes I remember many things from Sucker Punch, I thought it was a decent movie. Not quite good, or great, but decent. There is alot of subliminal messages in Sucker Punch about the exploitation of women, as well as dealing with crappy situations you might be put in during life. Also unlike, lets say Inception, everything is not spelled out for you, which made Sucker Punch a very fun film to explore again while discussing what you thought this or that meant or who or what was represented by something, etc. Fun stuff

This is where Snyder is very misunderstood. He is very stylish. But there is substance to his films. They're just overlooked because how stylish they are. Sucker Punch had some meaty human moments. But all people want to remember is the girls shooting things and kicking butt. 300 had emotional and powerful parts, but all people remember is strong, ripped guys killing thousands.

Its like Man of Steel where some people say it wasnt the least bit human, with no emotion, and no heart. Really? Because I know of many people, including my 68 year old father, who cried multiple times during Man of Steel. But all people want to dwell on is the action. Theres maybe 30 minutes of action in Man of steel, a 150 minute long movie, but because those action scenes are so epic and powerful thats all most people carry home from the film. I'm not saying his character building and human moments are his strong point, but they're definitely not as non existent as some claim.

I think the contenders will be Alfonso Cuaron, Rian Johnson, Guillermo Del Toro and Darren Aronofsky.

Im going by links to Warner Brothers, Nolan and the studios past with certain directors being on the shortlist for both Man Of Steel and pre-Batman Begins.

Also the latest success of Johnson's Looper, Del Toro's Pacific Rim, Aronofsky with Noah coming up (Russel Crowe), and Cuaron's attachment to the Potter franchise along with "Gravity" which comes out this year. If they can keep their movies on that high until 2018 or so, they'll be the big 4 to look at.

Guillermo feels like somebody who would execute an awesome Arkham Asylum adaptation. With Killer Croc, Joker, etc.

Rian Johnson or Cuaron could be strong contenders for a Batman Beyond or regular solo films with Bruce in his prime.

Aronofsky is a bit unreliable though with committing to projects.

Snyder is a comic fan in fact.. We shouldn't be worried... Supes-bats are in good hands..

Mea culpa time: I was under the impression that Flash and JL films had been confirmed for 2016 and 2017, respectively, at Comic-Con, but it turns out that I was mistaken. This means that, as of now, the only two confirmed films we have for the live-action DCU are MoS and its sequel, which we know will also serve as the 'reboot' of the Batman character, opening the door to a solo Batman film possibly being planned for far sooner than my previous comments have intimated was likely.

Yes I remember many things from Sucker Punch, I thought it was a decent movie. Not quite good, or great, but decent. There is alot of subliminal messages in Sucker Punch about the exploitation of women, as well as dealing with crappy situations you might be put in during life. Also unlike, lets say Inception, everything is not spelled out for you, which made Sucker Punch a very fun film to explore again while discussing what you thought this or that meant or who or what was represented by something, etc. Fun stuff

This is where Snyder is very misunderstood. He is very stylish. But there is substance to his films. They're just overlooked because how stylish they are. Sucker Punch had some meaty human moments. But all people want to remember is the girls shooting things and kicking butt. 300 had emotional and powerful parts, but all people remember is strong, ripped guys killing thousands.

Its like Man of Steel where some people say it wasnt the least bit human, with no emotion, and no heart. Really? Because I know of many people, including my 68 year old father, who cried multiple times during Man of Steel. But all people want to dwell on is the action. Theres maybe 30 minutes of action in Man of steel, a 150 minute long movie, but because those action scenes are so epic and powerful thats all most people carry home from the film. I'm not saying his character building and human moments are his strong point, but they're definitely not as non existent as some claim.

Your mileage may vary, I guess, but I watched JO and Film Brain from TGWTG do a half-hour in-depth analysis of Sucker Punch from every possible angle - themes, storytelling, acting, all of it - and literally the only plot point I remember is that it was all a dream and the main character got lobotomized.

Look, if you like Snyder's movies, that's totally fine (though I don't think you'll convince many people that it was better than Inception). You have the right to your own taste in movies. I personally just don't think he's the right guy for Batman.

Even though he can't and won't, JJ Abrams would be pretty cool.

Sucker Punch is one of the worst films you've ever seen? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"