The next female Marvel solo film?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by psylockolussus, Aug 14, 2019.

1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Who will follow the footsteps of Captain Marvel and Black Widow for headlining a female solo film?

Here are the female characters, that in my opinion won't get that chance
    Scarlet Witch - there's obviously a reason why she's getting a tv series with Vision in the title and not a solo film.
    She-Hulk - the same reason why we haven't had a Hulk film since 2008.
    Spider-Woman - Peter Parker is still new to the mcu, and that the rights for SW might be shared with Sony Pictures.
    Elektra - unless Marvel wants to reboot the characters that appeared in Netflix shows and Elektra is going to be the first few ones to get a solo film, but I doubt it at this time.
    Wasp - a supporting character in Ant-Man movies.
    and all the women (excluding Carol) in the Endgame scene.

At this moment, I can't really think of anyone. Invisible Woman is going to be utilized in FF films so as Storm, Marvel Girl, Rogue, Psylocke in the mutants films.

Also, this is for the MCU only. Unless Black Cat and Silver Sable suddenly become a co production with Marvel Studios , then okay.

LightDaggers likes this.
  2. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

That's a good question but one that right now it's hard to answer. I honestly can't think of anyone either, except Monica Rambeau maybe?

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It's annoying that there are complications with both She-Hulk and Spider-Woman. Two great characters.

4. Crimz

Crimz Registered

I can see a few X-ladies possibly getting their own film, but all of that depends on how the X-Men are introduced and which characters they want to elevate to that level.

LightDaggers, Neptune and SumT like this.
  5. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

Hmm, can’t think of any at the moment. I guess Storm would be cool since they now can use her but I’d rather see someone else. Ms Marvel also would be pretty neat as a sort of legacy character.

Edit: Wait! I got one now X-23 but I’d imagine they want to use Logan first in the MCU before they get to Laura.

LightDaggers likes this.
  6. Iceman

Ms Marvel and Storm I could definitely see at some point.

Shuri, LightDaggers and THORin like this.
  7. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

[​IMG]

Iceman likes this.
  8. Closerframe

Closerframe Registered

Besides Black Widow’s successor likely getting own her movie eventually, I can see Kamala Khan and Jean Gray getting theirs. And of course a predominantly female lead Avengers movie.

LightDaggers likes this.
  9. psylockolussus

I'm more interested for someone less expected than you know a X-Woman spin off or a legacy character from the comics.

Elsa Bloodstone
    Wave
    Aero
    Or maybe Marvel Comics could create a new character that would eventually lead to a mcu movie

LightDaggers likes this.
  10. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

(In order of how soon we'd be likely to see them and graded on how likely we'll see them eventually)

Valkyrie B-
    Scarlet Witch (solo) C-
    Lady Thor (and I mean a solo film without Chris Hemsworth) C
    Wasp (solo) D-
    Mantis/Gamora/Nebula/Ayesha D
    (I guess this doesn't really count but...) Liberators A-
    Moondragon/Phyla Vell - C-
    Ms. Marvel A+
    Spider-Gwen A-
    Iron Heart A+
    She-Hulk C
    White Tiger C+
    Storm/Mystique/X-23/Psylocke B-
    Dazzler/Jubilee/Shadowcat/Rogue C+
    Spider Woman B-
    Elektra C+
    Jessica Jones C

That's really everyone I can think of.

So the real answer to the question I suppose is Valkyrie, mayyyybe Lady Thor. Otherwise we are probably waiting for the youngins: Kamala, Gwen, or Riri.

Iceman likes this.
  11. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

I don't think we'll see any more new franchises male/female/or team based until phase 6 (assuming phase 5 is about 2-3 years).

Scarlet Witch headlining an event style film if Strange 3 doesn't happen or a legacy character I think are the options on the table pretty much a way to continue an already ongoing franchise.

I think future Disney+ series though could certainly feature someone else though.

12. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

Don't forget it's been reported Sersi will be the lead for the Eternals movie

13. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I think Storm is the most logical choice. She's a lot more famous than people give her credit for. She even has a rogue in the Shadowking.

14. Iceman

I liked your ranking and grading system. :up:

15. SumT

SumT Registered

Curiously I was thinking about this particular topic some days ago.
    Its a really interesting question, indeed.

I think most of us will agree that Captain Marvel and Widow wont be the last and Marvel will do more solo female movies. So yeah, the real question is: Who?

I wouldnt be too surprised if Marvel suddenly announces a totally unexpected choice from any random comic, or a c-list avenger or eternal or something..... I guess its a matter of time. But...
    my real take on this is: Dont be (you all) surprised if Marvel announces a solo X-Woman movie in 4-6 years.

Some wont believe this now. But dont worry, just save this post. :cool:

THORin likes this.
  16. psylockolussus

This list just reminds me how Marvel doesn't have a lot of female characters are not

a. already a supporting character in the comics/mcu movie or tv show of someone more popular: Valkyrie, Jane Foster, Elektra, Wasp, White Tiger

b. they are already part of a superhero team or introduced in a team film:
    Gamora, Mantis, the X-Women, Scarlet Witch

c. its a freaking legacy character
    X-23, Spider-Gwen, Kamala Khan, Ironheart, She Hulk, Spider-Woman (in a way)

The only exception to this is I guess is Jessica Jones which was not given a film adaptation under her name but a tv show. While it took ages and more than five films for Black Widow to get a solo film.

I don't really want a solo X-Men film (whether its a dude or a woman headlining it). But I would be eXcited for a X-Women movie. Especially X-Men characters are more exciting when they are together instead of going solo.

maybe they could give Tigra her own film before she joins the Avengers?

17. psylockolussus

Eternals is not a solo film.

18. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I think it's far too early in the MCU to even be thinking about the likes of She-Hulk and Spider-Gwen, and that's not even accounting for their rights and what not. Valkyrie and Wasp will forever be supporting characters I think (then again, I thought the same for Black Widow, and we're getting a solo flick for her).

Scarlet Witch will be tied up on the Disney show between her and Vision. Between that and her involvement in Stranger 2, I don't think there's a call for a solo film for her either; it's not as if she has much of a history before she gained her powers anyway.

If the rumours are true that they're considering expanding on other hidden cultures, in the sense of Black Panther and by extension Namor, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Tigra into the fold at some point, similar to how they did T'Challa, and then give her an origin story afterwards - something to do with her homeland etc.

Otherwise, it'll be the X-(Wo)Men, specifically Jean, Storm, Mystique or Rogue; they're bound to capitalise on those characters at some point. I suppose there's also a slim chance they'll do something with Quake from AoS too, though if there's a future for her, I suspect it'll be a Disney+ deal, rather than a big screen adaption.

LightDaggers likes this.
  19. psylockolussus

A Tigra movie would be so unexpected that I would be so intrigued in how theyare gonna execute and market it. It can be the Tarzan of cb movies, especially if Marvel doesn't want to do a Ka-Zar film.

LightDaggers likes this.
  20. Iceman

I wouldn't mind one-off solo X-Women films for the likes of Storm, Jean, Rogue, maybe Psylocke (maybe with Archangel supporting in Crimson Dawn). Storm could even get more than one. These guys are much better as a team to me but I'll take solos too if offered.

LightDaggers likes this.
  21. psylockolussus

I wouldn't skip them but a Storm movie over another film featuring the X-Men team. There's no way that I'm choosing a solo mutant film, not even a Psylocke movie.

LightDaggers likes this.
  22. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Dazzler. First off, she had a solo series independent of the X-Men. And second, she would tap into the whole musical genre which could be huge. There's enough there for a smash hit film.

LightDaggers and THORin like this.
  23. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Registered

Storm should get an origin movie. Explore her Royal Kenyan heritage, her birth in the states and then her childhood/teenage years spent in Africa, meeting a teenaged T'Challa, exploring her claustrophobia, her powers etc. There's some interesting material to cover.

Shuri, SumT, LightDaggers and 2 others like this.
  24. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

Valkyrie makes a ton of sense. She's already been established, is somewhat divorced from Thor in that she has her own backstory and goals separate from his as opposed to just being a satellite character, and is portrayed by a popular and talented actress. I'd watch a movie about her.

Shuri and THORin like this.
  25. Frankeh

Frankeh Registered

Wait so Marvel doesn't own Black Cat?