The next Xbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Soapy, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

Rumors are beginning to fly around the internet that Microsoft and many developers are hard at work on the next console, and it may be further along than we think.

'Xbox Next-Gen' spotted in Microsoft CVs.
    Next gen XBox chip gets a name and date.
    A number of Microsoft studios are already preparing projects for the next generation Xbox.

2. CJ

CJ It gets weirder

...Better not have the hardware problems of the 360.

I'm grateful for what I have, but I do feel a bit foolish investing so much money in a console that I am afraid to play for more than 15 minutes. (Don't have the money to replace my 360, so getting a Red Ring is a big worry for me.)

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks for posting, can't wait!

4. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

A little too soon for a new console and there really is no need for one IMO until at least 2015.

5. jacobed

jacobed Well-Known Member

I think both Sony and Microsoft will release their consoles in 2013.

6. hippie_hunter

I can't see Sony doing so. They put a lot of money into the PS3 and still are.

7. livrule

livrule Well-Known Member

Mmmmm, Not sure what to think really. We're coming up to the 360s sixth Birthday but it doesn't feel like its been around long enough yet.

Personally I can't see a replacement coming along for AT LEAST another 2 years, giving the 360 a premium life of 8 years.

But like cjmcray said above ... the damn thing better not be so damn fragile this time, we pay big money for these things and deserve to have kit than can survive being used often over several years. I'm on my second 360 but still have a Super Nintendo that works like a dream.

8. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the "it's too soon"/"it's not necessary" argument.

As for how "necessary" it is, no game console is "necessary". 90% of the bull**** we fill our lives with isn't "necessary". So let's just cut out that stupid argument, shall we?

Moving on. The current Xbox has been around two years longer than the original was, and I feel like it, moreso than the PS3, is getting very long in the tooth. I could maybe (but not really) understand if you're only talking about graphics, but a lot more goes into these consoles than just video cards. ALL of the current consoles have a really pathetic amount of RAM. The lack of an HDD or internal flash memory in the 360 is really a thorn in the side of everyone involved. Choosing DVD in favor of Blu-ray or perhaps even some kind of proprietary high-capacity disk format has also proven to be a weak point on the 360 that could, and should be improved with a new console.

Having said that, depending on how the next consoles shake out, I'm considering not even getting a new console. Except maybe the WiiU. With the way the current consoles are getting regular upgrades, and recently how the 360 version of Battlefield 3 has an optional HD texture pack, it really hit me how similar game consoles are getting to PCs. I can only imagine they'll go even further down that road next generation. And if that's the direction they're going, I might as well just get a gaming PC.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. Iceman

Totally agree on that first point!

I'm still getting a hell of a lot of enjoyment from my current 360 and would be content if there was no new console in the next few years. That said I also think the tech is getting very old & will soon be a full generation behind what top modern pcs can do. I expect the next xbox to arrive in 2014 and like the article says, the next xbox and the 360 will likely overlap with both selling well over the overlap period.

10. Iceman

Unfortunate situation and of course Microsoft are at fault here. The problem I think has subsequently fixed with the slim 360 which has a low failure rate. I have had that thing on for more than 24 hours many times in its life. :woot:

The amount of money and bad press red rings cost them, I'd be very surprised to see Microsoft ever repeat this problem.

11. KALEL114

KALEL114 Impending Return

They won't. There won't be that "rush to market" like they did this gen. I think with each gen, MS has made big strides and have learned from it's mistakes. Their next console should be amazing if they hold to form.

12. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

Sony has just started making a real profit off of the PS3. They are going to milk it for a few more years, I think. Plus, I don't think either Sony or Microsoft has the technology to warrant jumping ahead just yet. What can a new system really bring to the table? There is plenty of money to be made in the current gen and really no demand for a new system. They're laying down groundwork, which makes perfect sense but it will be some time before we see serious development.

13. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

I agree with Matt.

The 360 has plenty of fuel left in the tank.

14. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

• new IPs
    • bigger HDD
    • ensuring that EVERY console has a HDD so developers don't have design games around the possibility that some people won't have one
    • better video card
    • more RAM
    • faster processor
    • higher poly models
    • higher resolution textures
    • better particle effects
    • better lighting
    • dynamic shadows
    • more elaborate AI routines

I'm just going to go ahead and stop there. Those are more than enough reasons to justify new consoles. I probably could have saved myself a few precious seconds by instead just saying, "new and better games", but oh well.

15. Iceman

How likely is it that users of Xbox Live on the next Xbox will be able to join parties with people on the 360 (obviously while playing different games)?

16. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

I think they will shoot to have a new console out for Christmas 2012...and I think they are going to push 3D games with it.

17. ThePowerCosmic

Did you mean Christmas 2013? 2012 is way too soon.

18. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

This alleged timeline for upcoming Microsoft products leaked onto the web last month by a guy who has accurately reported other Microsoft leaks in the past.

Of course Microsoft denied it was legit, and of course you you should take it with a grain of salt, but there are two things you should keep an eye on.

The first, is "Xbox Loop". If this list is for real, then that's going to be Microsoft's next console. Loop could be the internal code name, but whatever, the name doesn't matter. The second thing, is Commercial Kinect SDK at MIX 2012. Now here's the part that adds a bit of legitimacy to the timeline: Not two days ago, Microsoft announced they will be launching a Kinect commercial SDK in early 2012. MIX is going to be held in April, by the way.

19. Iceman

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-10116-Xbox-720-Readying-Up-for-CES-2012-Reveal-.html

20. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

To that good list I would add;

• SSD hard drive so that reading and writing is as swift as can be.
    • SATA 3 support
    • USB 3 support
    • Blu Ray disk reader which is backwards compatible with existing Xbox 360 disks.

21. Kryptonian Warrior

Kryptonian Warrior The Dawn Is Upon Us

I seriously doubt that they would include a Solid State HDD as they are just too expensive right now. I agree with the rest, but adding Blu Ray is a MUST, IMO. Even better, the dual layer Blu Ray that's on the horizon.

22. hippie_hunter

I think the biggest hindrance will be third party publishers. With the Wii U coming out, publishers are going to want to put out the same versions of the same game on all three systems. Developing for the PlayStation 3 and Wii U is expensive, and making games for a new system that is more powerful is going to be even more expensive. Do you think that publishers are going to want to make two expensive versions of games? Hell no.

I don't think that third parties are going to want a new console. While developers like Crytek and Epic Games may want more power, the ones who are footing the bill think that there is still enough power to use.

Third party publishers are probably going to demand Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to release their next consoles almost all at the same time as opposed to releasing them whenever the hell they want like Microsoft and Nintendo did this generation.

23. Kingler

Kingler New Member

Well I have no real opinion on it, I'm perfectly satisfied with my box, its not the box I have problems with it's some of the games developed for my box that suck i.e black ops.

However when new news is out it's always nice to see whats in the works, New tech on the console is always cool to know

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  24. Iceman

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...isoft-in-Possession-of-Next-Gen-Dev-Kits.html

25. jacobed

jacobed Well-Known Member

There definitely won't be any new hardware in 2012. First shown in 2012 yeah absolutely but released no definitely not. My biggest reasoning for that is that Halo 4 is coming out on the 360 this fall. There is no way they'd release Halo 4 on the 360 this fall and then a month later release a brand new system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.